Start by marking “Nine Lives” as Want to Read:
Nine Lives

Nine Lives

"NINE LIVES" is a collection of nine short stories, all of which are contemporary drama in the vein of Terry Tyler’s well-loved novels. The first chapter of her latest one, What It Takes, is to be found at the end.

“I was pleased these were up to her usual standard of entertainment” “A great introduction to Terry’s writing” – A Woman’s Wisdom book blog.

The stories:

Published November 17th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Nine Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nine Lives

Start your review of Nine Lives
Jenny Twist
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories, but was a little bit unsure about reading this particular selection because I love Terry Tyler’s novels so much and very few writers are good at both the full length novel and the short story.
I shouldn’t have worried. It would appear that Ms Tyler can do anything.

These nine tales deal with life, love and relationships in much the same way as her novels do. And they are, as you might expect, extremely well-written. Ms Tyler has a supreme command of the English language and
Geoffrey West
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion Terry Tyler is the queen of the feelgood easy read, where realistic characters walk, talk, and step right off the page into your head. She’s got a truly unique way of pulling you effortlessly into her stories, so that the characters feel like friends, and that is a pretty special talent to have. In these 9 stories you feel as if you make a few mates, get some surprises, and garner a little more insight into the lives of all kinds of essentially ordinary people, who have some fairly ...more
Michelle Smith
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I downloaded this collection of short stories a few months ago, when Terry was offering the book for free as a Kindle e-book. I then got distracted by work and kids and winter colds and life. Then this past weekend I picked up my Kindle for the first time in weeks, scrolled through my books, and saw 'Nine Lives'. I started to read. I finished yesterday.

First, a bit of disclosure: I 'kind of know' Terry. She has dropped by my blog and commented a few times, and she actually contacted me directly
E.L. Lindley
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that the last time I read short stories were the ones that regularly featured in 70s teen magazines like Jackie and Nine Lives are like the older, more cynical sisters of those stories. Where the teen stories were all aspirational, full of romantic hopes and dreams, Tyler’s are edgy, knowing and lived in. The stories concern themselves with topics such as controlling partners, infidelity and alcoholism. They feel very real which is wholly down to Tyler’s writing style, which is ...more
Susan Buchanan
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a short story fan, but I have read and enjoyed all of Terry Tyler’s books, so figured Nine Lives would be worth downloading. I wasn’t disappointed. Apart from one of the stories, all are modern day. Most people will be able to relate to many of the stories and I would imagine people’s favourites will differ. As expected, the author’s stories had a few twists. One story totally caught me unawares and I was very indignant and totally in agreement with the protagonist, until the very last ...more
Storm
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Nine Lives - nine short stories about real people, with real lives, and real predicaments...

I must confess, that this review is a wee bit late in the writing, because I've been really struggling with what to say about Nine Lives.

I have really thoroughly enjoyed everything I've read of Terry Tyler's before, so I was excited about her new stuff. However it turns out short stories are really not my thing I'm afraid.

Having said that, I did enjoy a couple of these easy-reads. I felt indignant at
Elizabeth Lloyd
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This set of 9 short stories is cleverly connected to its title. Nine different lives are described and some of the people demonstrate cat-like behaviour. Most of them are about relationships and are convincing because we have all been in at least one of those situations. There are delightful twists at the end of four of the stories which I couldn’t possibly give away.

Terry Tyler writes with such clarity and fluency that each story is relaxing and compulsive reading. Two of the stories I found
Alicia Kline
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like many others here have posted, I'm not traditionally a fan of short stories. However, I've read and enjoyed a lot of Ms. Tyler's blog posts and decided to introduce myself to her fiction via this collection.

As expected, this was a very quick read. However, the length of the stories doesn't negatively impact the author's ability to get you right inside the characters' heads. These tales feel complete; not like they were half baked ideas.

My personal favorite of the nine stories was "Mia". This
Mackenzie Brown
The author of this short story anthology is a rising star of the British literary world and I was curious to know why. Now I completely understand. All nine stories are simply written, but each leaves an indelible mark on the reader and any would be writer need look no further for an example of how to write the perfect short story. The reader is hooked from page one and drawn into the strong narrative of each story, so much so, you never see the well disguised final twist coming, until it slams ...more
Julie
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it

This is a short collection of nine stories so is ideal for dipping in to. They often have a twist in the tale but some don’t which adds to the interest. They are all entertaining and on different themes. ‘Angel’ for example deals with the perfect wife being tempted by another. ‘Shut up and dance’ where Paul says he’ll love Laura whatever her size has an ending which I loved even though it was predictable. ‘Mama kin’ is about different ways of bringing up children and is far less predictable. In
Bodicia
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I admit to being a bit of a fan of this author's writing and I was pleased these were up to her usual standard of entertainment.

My favourites are:

'Angel', a tale of lust, jealousy and adultery...always a good combination.

'Mama Kin' is a funny story with a fabulous twist. I could see the horror on Emma's face as the tale unfolded, her mind hardly able to comprehend the implications of what she was hearing.

'Shut Up and Dance' is the girl power one for me; the controlled woman breaking out,
Kate Hanney
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful set of short stories that I would recommend 100%.

Terry Tyler is indeed an incredibly adept writer; combine her astute observations on life with her faultlessly skilled delivery, and you have stories that cannot fail to engage, entertain and provoke thought and emotion. Sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, every one features characters who are so real you will know them. There are some twists and turns, some where you will feel like applauding the heroine, some where you feel like
Cathy
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this collection: each of the stories is very different to the rest; a couple are satisfyingly predictable; one has an unexpected ending in the final sentence; and they are all entertaining and make for a good read.

What I love is Terry Tyler's style: it's chatty and intimate like a friend gossiping with you over a coffee. And it's so down-to-earth. She's got such a good understanding of human nature and what makes the world go round and she draws on this to great effect in her
Maria
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of short stories. A quick, entertaining read. These days with less reading time, I love reading more short stories. I was already a fan of Terry Tyler's novels, and happy to see that she also writes shorts. I love her writing style, and these tales have some clever twists. The characters are all true-to-life and realistic. At the end of the book there is an excerpt from her novel 'What it Takes' and now I'm desperate to find time to read that one too! I'd ...more
Marcia Carrington
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NINE LIVES is an enjoyable short story collection delving into the lives of various characters who could indeed be described as having nine lives in terms of their resilience.

I liked all the stories, and the subtle comic elements of these gave a depth to the events depicted. The more serious stories, though, were also interesting, and the showcasing of the characters' psychological elements were very compelling.

I also liked the fact that each story had a sting in its tail, but this was not the
Georgia Rose
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just spent the day being treated at a health spa and took this book along to read in those leisurely lying down moments between sessions of extreme pampering. It was the perfect choice. I love short stories and there are really not that many books of them about. I like Tyler’s style of writing very much, and with surprise endings and twists, some humorous and some heartbreaking each story is a delight. I read it in a day and this book would be great for all those times when your reading ...more
Andy Angel
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I must say that until recently I haven't been a massive fan of short stories but here is another collection that has helped to change my mind.
I have been a fan of Terry Tyler's long fiction so trying the "short stuff" didn't take too much thinking about.
What we have here are nine excellent slices of human life, each slightly different but all well told. The author, as she usually does, gets you right under the skin of her characters. The stories, as you would expect, are not over long but that
Nicki
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though short stories are not really my thing, I had to read these by Terry Tyler, and I'm glad I did!
Just what I would expect from Terry - versatile and interesting characters.
I loved the last story about the woman turning 40. Definitely not where I thought it was going to go, and thank goodness for that. I won't say too much and spoil it, but what a great attitude and refreshing change for those of us around that age!
I also had to laugh at the one set in the cafeteria of the biscuit factory.
Sharon
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually a fan of short stories but I did enjoy these.

I wanted to read more about Angel's situation & the twists at the end of `Bright Light Fright' & `Mama Kin' were clever & funny. I did guess the twist in `Mia' but that was probably because I'd been in her shoes & I think that many people will have felt the schadenfreude which happens in the tale `Kiss Your Past Goodbye'.

My one moan was that, once I started reading it, it was over too quickly so I read it again. I
Claire
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Terry Tyler's work, and I really liked this collection of nine short stories which I found hard to put down.
Each tale has interesting characters, a good plot, is well written and has a twist or two. They are all also extremely easy to read. Sometimes I find short stories don't get much of a chance to get off the ground, but not the case with these nine.
I loved it! My only reason for not awarding five out of five stars is that I wish it was longer as if love to
Darcia Helle
You know that saying, "I wish I could be a fly on the wall", which people say when they want to know how others behave in certain circumstances? In this collection of stories, Terry Tyler allows us to be that fly on the wall. These stories prove things are not always as they first appear. When we look a little closer at people and their lives, we're often surprised by what we see.

Tyler's talent for creating believable and likable characters has quickly made her one of my favorite authors.
Jen Selinsky
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Terry Tyler does an excellent job illustrating the lives of nine central characters. Whether they are coping with affairs, going on diets, or avoiding crazy co-workers, the readers find themselves getting into these characters' minds. Once a person is through reading each of the stories, he or she can't help but wonder what happens afterward. I highly recommend "Nine Lives" to anyone who wishes to catch a glimpse into the lives of others; it will leave you wanting more!
Julie Stock
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection of well-written short stories, some with an enjoyable sting in the tail. I thought each story was well-crafted and carefully told, leaving the reader wanting more. My favourite was 'Shut Up and Dance' but I enjoyed them all and would recommend them. I downloaded this collection for free but would have been more than happy to pay for it.
Smitha
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
This was a book that I picked up because it was marked down on Amazon. It languished for ages on my kindle, before I picked it up as I ran out of books to read.

I wish I hadn't wasted all that time. A very interesting set of short stories, each interesting in it's own way. A book that I enjoyed thoroughly,albeit unexpectedly.
Chris Birdy
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She's done it again! Terry Tyler knows how to entertain the reader while presenting her story. In this case it is nine short stories. Each has a message carefully wrapped in delightful prose. And just when you think you know how a story will end, she pulls the rug out with another surprise. Great job!
Rosie Amber
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from Author Terry Tyler. This one different, in that it is a series of 9 short stories. I liked them all and particularly liked "Mia" and "Mama Kin", Terry has a great way of engaging the reader and uses wonderful descriptions in her writing which capture images and situations. This review is based on a free copy given to me by the author.
Karen Troke
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best short story collections you are likely to read. Each one is completely different and I defy you to guess how they end!
The problem I usually have with short stories is that you can predict the end after a few paragraphs - not so with this collection; it'll keep you on your toes to the end.
A definite 'Must Read'.
Tony Huby
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Really enjoyed these short stories. Each one ending at a point that made you yearn to read the next one. Read it all in one sitting. Looking forward to reading more of Terry's books.
Misty Battle
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved these short stories! The twists at the end caught me every time. Very quick, fun read to pass the time. I read it in a few hours. I was lucky to snag this free off Amazon and I am so glad I did.
Julie Powell
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this set of stories with their twists and turns and quite unexpected (in some cases). Well written as usual with great characters, which are believable and realistic.

I don't give spoilers but will say that the stories contained some great ideas and certainly worth reading.
I am self-published and proud to be so, and have twenty books on Amazon. In Autumn 2018 I published Legacy, the final book in the post apocalyptic Project Renova series. The other books in the series are Tipping Point, Lindisfarne, UK2, and Patient Zero, a collection of short stories about some of the characters.

My newest book is Blackthorn, a stand alone novel set in the same world as the Project