Start by marking “The Rat” as Want to Read:
The Rat

The Rat (Les petits dégoûtants)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  172 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Published August 5th 2014 by Tundra Books (first published August 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Rat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rat

Justin Sorbara-Hosker
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: get-for-dash, kids
Dad review: 4 stars. The boy is educated & entertained, he can read most of the words in here, and I enjoy them too, so this series is a winner for us.

5 & 1/2 year old boy's review: 5 stars to the whole series so far. This is our third, & not one has disappointed. Constant requests to re-read. Dad told little white lie about being unable to renew it from the library, actually.

Mom "review" (paraphrasing, hypothetical, etc): "These books are gross. Dad has to read all these from here
Lindsey Lewis
Disclaimer: I received a free digital copy of this book via NetGalley.

The Rat is an informative yet hilarious investigation into a common household pest. The text is just as artful as the funny illustrations.

My only complaint is that there is no clear line between fact/opinion and fact/exaggeration, which may become the teacher or guardian's responsibility to explain. I'm not talking about the jokes, like the rat picking his nose or eating a miniature copy of this book, which even smaller kids
Storywraps
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to feature another book in the series "about disgusting creatures". Today's book is entitled, "The Rat." Just by thumbing through and visually assessing it, you know that it will be a fun read because the pictures are witty, humorous and so kid-friendly. The expressions and talking bubbles personifies the rat and makes her character very endearing to the reader, even though a rat is a creature despised by many.

The author blends the witty and clever with actual facts regarding this ro
Amber (bookstacksamber)
((I received this book for review from NetGalley))

"Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you to your new disgusting little friend: The Rat."

This book is a non-fiction introduction to rats. Each page has a different topic, such as teeth, tail, and behaviors. There is a lot of facts, but everything is told in a humorous and interesting way that would keep the attention of younger students.

This book does have some difficult vocabulary used (agile, incisors, clever), but not an excessive amount. T
Jay
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
this copy provided by NetGalley on behalf of the publishers

a cute and funny look at rats. a great start to children learning about these amazingly intelligent & super cute creatures
Michelle
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Not thrilled with this book. The series is called "Disgusting Critters". The book discusses the black (wild) rat. One page near the end says, "Even though most people find rats disgusting, some find them really cute and keep them as pets." I find that very misleading. Pet rats are domesticated. They are not from the streets. I wouldn't want a child reading this book and think they can keep a wild rat as a pet. I have pet rats. I am not happy with the negative image this book is portraying about ...more
Beth
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
Cute, funny, and informative!
Francis S. Poesy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, stem, humor
Fun, short little book with fun facts and fun illustrations about rats, some of whom are quite cheeky in this book. I can't seem to get enough of Ms. Gravel's whimsical illustrations.
Jason
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Category/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Nonfiction

Estimate age level of interest: K-3

Estimate of reading level: 3.6

Brief description: A funny, illustrated book about the rat. Topics include the rat’s binomen, physical characteristics, abilities, habitat and use in scientific research.

Identify at least two characteristic of this genre and subgenre and discuss how they appear in this book: (1) In nonfiction books, accuracy is of primary importance. In The Rat, the author uses a com
Diah Didi
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Originally posted on Buku-Buku Didi

I loved this book. A LOT!

Let's start with the cover. It has a simple, wonderful illustration and first time I saw it, I was caught. Like, I really really had to get it. And knowing it's promoting real information in humorous way, I requested it right away. And I'm not disappointed. At all.

Presented with cute font (one that looks like children hand-writing, I love those kind of fonts!), every page gave a short factual information about rat. There's also one or t
Shonna Froebel
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is from the series Disgusting Critters. They are picture books for kids teaching them some facts about these creatures in a fun way. Since many kids like things that are sometimes disgusting, this series is a good idea to convey factual information. The facts contained in each book are varied and general in nature.
In The Rat we are told about the two most common rats, brown and black, including the Latin name of the black rat. We are given some information on size, at least in relatio
Sandy
Rats! Who would have known that I’d be reading a book geared for children about rats? I didn’t. Debbie is quite the cute rat with her pink tail, long skinny arms and long whiskers. Her pictures are quite adorable. The accompany text is captivating and informational and the font style changes on some of the pages, shouting out to you and drawing you in, with big bold lettering and brighter colors. The story provided some great information about rats in a humorous manner, sometimes comparing items ...more
Jane
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I used Elise Gravel’s series Disgusting Critters with an Early Readers book club back in the summer, and it was a big hit! The children each picked a book from the series (which also includes such kid-pleasing titles as The Slug, The Fly, and The Worm) to read, and shared what they learned with the rest of the group.

This series works so well because it matches real biology with a zany sense of humour and wacky illustrations. The rat, a potentially frightening creature, becomes a cheeky little ra
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
DESCRIPTION:

One in a series of humorous books about disgusting creatures, The Rat is a look at the black rat. It covers such topics as the rat's long, agile tail (it's good for balancing and picking noses), long teeth (they can chew through anything, including books) and disgusting taste in food (delicious electrical wires in tomato sauce, anyone?). Although silly and off-the-wall, The Rat contains real information that will tie in with curriculum.

REVIEW:

What a gross & genius way to introduc
Stephanie
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A cute but honest book about one of the creatures that we all live with-the rat. Fun, scientific facts and wacky pictures fill the pages. Some of the facts and blurbs had my group of kids laughing hysterically, the rat has a tail that acts like a hands, useful when the rat wants to pick it's nose!

The writing is appropriate for pre-k to about 3nd grade, I read it to a mixture of those. I liked that the book told not only of all of the disgusting things about rats that kids love, but why we need r
Nelda Brangwin
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ugh, what a book to read while I’m cleaning a rat infestation out of my pantry. RATS, who is every going to like them? Not me, even after reading this book…but maybe if those rodents I was dealing with were more like the ones in this book, I might not have felt so bad about sharing my food with them. Hey, they did make me do a thorough cleaning of an area I usually manage to ignore! But to the book…..guess that’s what a review should be about. There are a lot of facts in this book and illustrati ...more
carrietracy
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love it! The book is non-fiction with humorous asides (These are done via the rat's speech bubbles). The reading level is great for primary grades, there's plenty of tough vocabulary, and I could wish for a glossary, but otherwise, there aren't too many words on a page and the sentences are clear.

I think kids will love this series and it's a real departure from what some might perceive as "boring" non-fiction.

Added bonus - my toddler loves it - he sits still for the whole thing and says "again"
Lynn
Fiction or non-fiction? Informational text combined with humor, part of the "Disgusting Critters" series. A rat asks for more of "those delicious electrical wires in tomato sauce."
Illustrations rather than photos set on pale olive-green pages, the book is small, about 5"x8". Speech bubbles show the humor, and variety of font, set in black, or red or other colors provide the facts. End papers have pattern of repeated images of rats.
I think these would be fun to read and learn info in a fun way.
Bill
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hey, I’m a guy, and growing up a lot of my friends didn’t read much – I did – we were out in the country and there’s only so much messing around in the woods, fields and cornfields you can do – especially after dark – but we never had book like these!

This is one GREAT series! Funny – informative too – including this one
about rats – RATS ! – who wants them around?

Unless they’re your pets of course!

But this is hilarious – and you learn some stuff too – the best combo there is.
Rachel
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Age: elementary
Grossology animal nonfiction for kids who don't like animals, I guess? This book does present simple facts about rats in a funny, approachable way, and the art is cute, but those are my only positives. I was very put-off by the description of rats as good laboratory animals, and the author's repeated insistence that rats are mean and disgusting.
Jess
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, snarky, and fun.

Rats can squeeze through holes the size of quarter. How awful.
Elaine Bearden
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
gr.2-4
This is a hilarious non-fiction book for kids. There is a rat who is the main character, so that part is anthropomorphi I love the page where the rat introduces herself as "rattus rattus" after the Latin, to "Debbie, Debbie." Kids won't even realize they are learning something. Perhaps for booktalking fourth grades. Definitely for third grades.
Melle
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people uneasy about rats
I think this one is my favorite of the Disgusting Critters series thus far. A strangely educational and endearing look at one of the most feared and hated rodents. Fantastic use of humor. Weirdly delightful.
Eva Kelly
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If this isn't the best fact book ever, it's the FUNNIEST.
But it's got great facts about RATS! Which are way different than mice, and I don't know if they're cute or not, but in this book, they're fun.
So that makes you get the facts straight.
So that's good.
Earl
A disgusting yet delightful discovery, Elise Gravel's Disgusting Critters series introduces beginning readers to facts regarding certain familiar creatures. The humor and illustrations will appeal to kids and will want them to read more. Addicting for adults as well!
Paula Hollohan
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great mixture of presenting non-fiction information in a picture book format with a talking rat. It would be very popular with those who love Fly Guy and other mixed non-fiction and fiction picture books.
L
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Many young boys, especially reluctant readers, will devour this book. Hilarious commentary from rats on each page and great illustrations make reading the facts fun. At only 32 pages, I fear this book might be too brief to be useful for many school projects.
Ingrid
This book is part of the disgusting critters series and I can see it being a big hit with students. The book combines facts about rats with cute pictures and funny dialogue.
Jill Pickle
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I object to the very premise of the rat being a disgusting creature ... But this book is kinda cute anyway. Wish they covered how sweet and friendly rats can be.
Shelli
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice addition to any elementary classroom learning about rodents, especially if one is the classroom pet. A quick, easy yet informative read about Rattus Rattus.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • No Monkeys, No Chocolate
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • A Little Book of Sloth
  • Stronger Than Steel: Spider Silk DNA and the Quest for Better Bulletproof Vests, Sutures, and Parachute Rope
  • The Beetle Book

Les petits dégoûtants (8 books)
  • The Slug