Start by marking “Constantine, Volume 2: Blight” as Want to Read:
Constantine, Volume 2: Blight

Constantine, Volume 2: Blight

(Constantine (2013) #2)

The star of Justice League Dark and Hellblazer--the longest-running Vertigo series--John Constantine has suffered a major loss at the hands of a former protégé. With his vault of mystical weapons now in the hands of his greatest enemies, John Constantine must battle with Sargon and the Cult of the Cold Flame with all he has left -- his wits!

Collecting: Constantine 7-12
Paperback, Trade, 144 pages
Published August 12th 2014 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Constantine, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constantine, Volume 2

Start your review of Constantine, Volume 2: Blight
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I liked this better than the first volume. I felt it was chaotic and at times difficult to follow. The resolution of the Cold Flame arc felt a tad anticlimactic to me. I did like how it tied into the Justice League and Forever Evil arcs. It was nothing to shout about, although it gets some brownie points with the Zatanna cameo (I love her)! And it was good to get closure on Necro Nick.

I'm wishing I had written my review sooner! But maybe I didn't have much to say anyway.

I'd probably give it
'kris Pung
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
WTH did I just read? This one is impossible to follow if you're not reading all the tie-ins. It did have good art though.
Shannon Appelcline
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
This is another volume that makes me wonder if the people who design DC's Nu52 graphic novels actually read comics. Because, like too many of the Nu52 graphic novels, it's a barely comprehensible mess.

It starts out with two issues that are the conclusion of the Cold Flame story from the previous volume. Why aren't they there? I don't know. It would have been kind of nice to have that story complete. But here, they're just standalones that barely make sense (though part of that is on Fawkes who
Gavin
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This is a one star mess, given a bonus star because GOD takes the form of a Tiny terrier dog....get it? God=doG! Innovation.

Also Swamp Thing.

Some of the worst writing in New 52 yet...and that's saying something. Also, I picked up the third volume too, and the last panel of issue 12 ends on a cliffhanger, but in the start of 13? Everything is hunky dory...WTF?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Koen
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well, I got the feeling this would have been a nice story, but you're only seeing a part of it, seeing it's a cross-over with Pandora (which I don't have....) and to make matters worse -> the ending is probably in that one!! :S
So, pretty okay story, but I suggest you get the other one so you can get the full story ;)
Aaron
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Another idiotic book from DC, who seems determined to squeeze every dime it can out of its readers by tricking them into buying paperback collections that are completely unreadable.

Just like with Justice League Dark: Vol. 4, this is a collection of issues that are individual chapters of a much larger crossover, meaning trying to read them in this order will only drive you insane. The exception here, which is arguably more frustrating, is that this is the only collection that features issues 7
Jenn
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Disappointing. I hate when they expect you to keep up with everything going on in the universe just to understand what's going on in the one trade you want to read. I'm too old for this shit.
So, the Cult of the Cold Flame storyline basically disappears and we're thrust into the Forever Evil storyline, and very little makes any sense. This trade suffers from the same issues as some of the other new 52s I've read-throwing too many names into a story that's supposed to be a fresh slate. If the
Devann
I've just lost all patience with this iteration of Constantine. I actually liked the first volume of this, but after I read it I realized I needed to go back and read JLD before continuing and now I'm just sick to death of all the stupid crossovers. The first two issues in this continue on from the last volume and the rest are ONCE AGAIN part of a crossover. Are all of DC's titles just ridiculous money-grabs like this? Because it's absolutely awful.

Actually the only thing I ever really cared
Joseph
Feb 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Part of the Blight crossover. You need to read the individual stories running through four books in the correct order for this to make any sense at all.

Constantine spends a lot of time pining for Zatanna, the woman he once loved, and may still. We get more detail on Constantine's early days with Zatanna and Nick Necro, and apparently they had some sort of triad relationship going on. That's cool and restores Constantine's bisexuality to his New 52 persona.

Although Constantine is not as dark as
Craig
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
A failure as a collection - it collects 6 total issues, 2 involving a previous storyline and 4 involving another (as well as tie-in issues that aren't included or even referenced). It is a disjointed, un-entertaining mess.

The DC collections department drops the ball. Again.
Wing Kee
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Wow this book is a turd.

World: The art is colorful but at the same time messy. I can't distinguish characters and actions and panels they all blur together cause of the detail, it's not presented well and does not help the writing portray personality and emotions. The world building here is choppy as all fuck and the reason is because trade does not include the Pandora issues making the world building incomplete.

Story: Wow we got an incomplete story here cause the Pandora issues were not
Eleanor
No better than the first volume unfortunately. I mean, not to be too harsh, it was OK, just nothing special. I really didn't like the art style in it. It changed between two very different styles of art for no obvious reason, one of which was good, but one I really didn't like.

I actually think I liked the plot in this volume better than the first, and that's saying something because it does the thing which I hate, which is to go directly off stories told in other titles so if you are just
Ma'Belle
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
In this volume, John starts progresses through some interesting mage warfare and then is abruptly abducted into an unexplained DC Event called Forever Evil. From that point on, a collective conscious monster that named itself Blight does things that make no sense and are uninteresting in the context of this title. Other characters are visible but mostly bound to the walls of elaborate magick-sucking devices. Eventually Constantine does what he always does, but in a much more contrived and ...more
Frances
Suffered very badly from collecting issues of a comic which were clearly only a few of the chapters of a story; when one issue ends with Constantine about to get eaten in NYC, and the next one starts with him et cie. being at the borders of heaven thanks to the (unshown) intervention of someone (now healed) who was last seen lying on the ground a tatty mess, it's not a good impression.

Also, was rereading Hellblazer: Original Sins and I have to say this version of Constantine is one hell of an
Amanda
Apr 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to turn Constantine into an action hero?!

Some of the many problems in this collection: a story arc that has huge chunks of the story missing; characters appearing and disappearing with no explanation; a Constantine that is slinging around spells like bullets instead of conning his way out of trouble; and, worst of all, Constantine sounds like an American.

Honestly, I'd rather re-watch the awful Keanu Reeves movie than read this crap.
Molly
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not sure Ray Fawkes is the right writer for Constantine... but perhaps it's because this is a crossover title, which I don't tend to pick up regularly. I much prefer Constantine to stand alone, separate from the world of superheroes, and his involvement here required so much exposition that I found myself unable to enjoy a lot of the story.
Gökberk Kaya
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Remember the guy Constantine stole his trenchcoat from? Yeah,he is back. Its connected to Forevel evil blight. If you havent read the volume 1 dont buy this. If you want to know what fully happened buy the forever evil one,it includes 9-12 of Constantine and this one has 7-12 which includes the sequel of vol.1
3.5 points
Fun fact:Lights went out while i was writing this
Grace
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Read this on the train back from Scardiff (which was great) and the very best I can say for it is "meh".
It seemed to jump all over the place, relying on you having read a bunch of other new 52 graphic novels. I am all for tying together but there were several points where I had no clue what was going on.
The art was still wonderful but I really didn't enjoy this as much as the first one.
Laurel
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Well, DC has managed to do it again. This book was rolling along just fine. Constantine's fight with The Cold Flame gets interesting so of course it's time for a crossover that doesn't make sense, obliterating the flow of Constantine's narrative completely. Another good book ruined by bad editorial decisions.
Kit
Jun 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
For the life of me, I can't understand how it is so hard for DC to comprehend why these characters from the occult side aren't well-suited to goofy event titles. The level of nonsense required to try to make this book work is what is truly legendary here.
James
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Fawkes is a great writer, but he's being hampered in this series by having to play into the wider DC Universe. It's as though he can't get a arc out before he's squashed by some stupid crossover that doesn't effect the book at all.
sixthreezy
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc, new-52, binge, constantine
Familiar read to Hellblazer... Boring, unfollowable, but pretty. The first volume was a much stronger showing...
Devon H.
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
More costumes - gag. John is pretty great though.
Lara
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Read the first issue. Not impressed, thought I'd give vol 2 a chance, couldn't finish it. Not worth my time. Was a big fan of the original Vertigo comics. This was a sad shadow of those.
Sean Kennedy
Aug 30, 2014 rated it liked it
At least Constantine kissed a guy in this book, which is more than we'll probably get from the TV series.
FoxClouds
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am not even going to pretend that I am interested in this series any more.
Stephanie :}
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm still not a big fan of this series, and I hesitate to claim that the second volume is better than the first, because they're both kind of awful and annoying. But I kind of enjoyed this one. Even though it's awful. Let's talk about that first.

Look, I love comics. But I haven't read so many that I know who every DC character is (who the heck is Nightmare Nurse and please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that name is 100% ridiculous and awful??) Nor do I read a bunch of newer comics. So
Jim
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I wasn't disappointed in the writing, just in the fact that the stories (two separate ones/sort of) didn't have the endings included in this book. Blight is defeated, but it happens in a different comic book, so it is not included here). Then the next comic starts in the middle of the story that probably took place in Justice League Dark, but I am not sure, since it was a part of the EVIL story line.

Fawkes did a great job with Constantine (Except not getting the accent in the writing). The story
Dean
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
You can almost sense that this series of comics crossed over with a whole lot of other DC titles. Not sure if that is what happened, but it feels like there are a bunch of gaps in knowledge that the reader is assumed to have picked up on somewhere else. I did enjoy the fact that Constantine doesn't even seem to like his costumed allies all that much. Best line was a quote our concept of hell near the end of the story.
Garrett
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Great writing good art, the main issue in this book is it crosses over with forever evil and justice league dark, so if you’re like me and haven’t read forever evil for about 5 years, and have yet to read Justice League Dark, you get a bit lost in the excess storylines, this is why Constantine should be his own solo entity, of the dc universe, but not interactive with the dc universe.

3 damned souls of 5

• Justice League of America, Volume 2: Survivors of Evil
  • Forever Evil: Arkham War
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 1: Kicked in the Teeth
  • Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
Ray Fawkes is the critically-acclaimed author of the comics and graphic novels Underwinter, Intersect, One Soul, The People Inside, The Spectral Engine, Possessions, and Junction True, as well as Batman: Eternal, Constantine, Justice League Dark, and Gotham by Midnight (DC), Wolverines (Marvel), Black Hammer '45 (Dark Horse), Jackpot! (AfterShock) and more. He is an Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster ...more

Constantine (2013) (4 books)
  • Constantine, Volume 1: The Spark and the Flame