Start by marking “When Day Breaks (KGI, #9)” as Want to Read:
When Day Breaks (KGI, #9)

When Day Breaks

(KGI #9)

THE ALL-NEW KGI NOVEL BY NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELING AUTHOR AUTHOR MAYA BANKS

The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business. Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background. Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t…

Eden is said to be one of the most b
Published June 24th 2014 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about When Day Breaks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Day Breaks

Jacqueline J
Jun 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think I am officially done with Maya Banks. This one started out well but for me at least it went downhill pretty rapidly. First I am sick to death of authors telling me that one scar down a man's face makes him "a beast." If you want me to get behind thinking a guy is scared no one will love him if he's scarred you should at least make him look like Sandor Clegane from Game of Thrones. That guy might have a legitimate worry that people will judge him on his appearance.

Okay I was pretty happy
Tigmode Sandvigen
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I loved KGI books and was staggeringly disappointed by the previous book, After The Storm, where I felt like I'd been waiting for Van' story for so long and then it was just a horrendous letdown.

When Day Breaks was only marginally better in that it was not as bad as ATS. Faint praise indeed.

I get lust at first sight. I get crazy sparks and physical chemistry. I get those things, but I don't get spending 10 minutes with a group of people, taking a nap and waking up having decided somebody is THE
'Q' aka CoCo
When did KGI turn into girls?

I used to love this series. Ms. Banks could write an Alpha male with hot sex scenes mixed into crazy special operations mission plots. This? This was an insecure man that had inner dialogue ad nauseam about how he wasn't good enough. The sex was slow, sparse, and agonizingly sweet... and the mission? I get more excited watching my kid's cartoons--no suspense. Even the plot twist was kind of lame. I don't know what happened with this series but I think I'm done. They'
[Aengell]
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
This one really wasn't mine... Not at all, I'm afraid.

I love Maya Banks and her novels, but lately the aspects about her works that I liked once are the ones I don't like at all now. I will make an example of When Day Breaks and list all the things I didn't like.

1. Too Much.

The whole scenery was too mushy and too stuffy and too... filled with feelings and unnecessary tears and ... For my tastes it was just over the top.
Also there was MUCH, MUCH too much Talking. After the first four chapters
Amy McGlone
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I was rather anxious to read and review this one. I am always hesitant to review someone like The Maya Banks. I mean come on, she's phenomenal, what could a little ole reviewer from Kentucky have to say? Ya know what I mean?

So I adore the KGI series (thanks Tonya ;) ). Adore it. It's an addiction. We've got sexy, bad ass, military guys - kickin butt, takin' names, & rescuing the damsel in distress. Who doesn't love that?? I never - EVER - thought I would say this, but...
I was disappointed
Nicole
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I have such a love-hate relationship with this series. The books either blow me away, or leaving MUCH to be desired. While I wasn't as upset with this book as I was with the last, the book felt boring and like it dragged on. The hard hitting suspense and action that was common in the early books was non-existent here. I needed more, all the way around.
C-

Full review can be found here: http://thebookpushers.com/2014/06/24/...
Kelly
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I'm sad to say I think I am finished with the KGI series :( When this series started I LOVED it & these were automatic pre-orders for me! The last two books have been huge disappointments for me. The insta-love in this story did not ring true at all. I could have seen if maybe Swanny explained that her letters and pictures are what got him through being held captive??? Then she came on sooooooo strong (for really no reason)& turned out to be a virgin, COME ON!! I have to say that was it ...more
CC
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: series, safe-for-me
First I am a fan of the KGI series and have enjoyed those I have read. I missed the last couple because they are not yet in the library on audio so I skipped ahead.

This might possibly be the WORST written book ever! Maya Banks could not have written this book. I have read tons of her books and I have never thought it was poorly written. I really hope this was a ghost writer or an editor who was subsequently fired. ok on to the book.

I listened via Overdrive. Must the narrator make Swanny sound li
Audrey
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well.

I hoped that KGI could get better after After the Storm. I was mistaken.

This book is extremely repetitive and boring. It's actually horrible.

Let's start with the cons first, shall we?

Cons:

I understand that the author wants to catch up readers on characters of other books in the series, but it would be nice if she spent half as much time on developing the plot of this book as she did on rehashing old ones. To make it worse, she repeats the same phrases over and over to describe events, other
Auntee
Hmmm, that doesn't look like Swanny...

Ahhhh....just okay for me. Really there was not much too it. Swanny falls in love with a supermodel who is not only beautiful on the outside, but is perfect on the inside. And she falls in love with him. Actually, she makes the first move. But why? Swanny is horribly scarred--she deserves so much better than him (this is Swanny's inner monologue repeated over and over...). This got to be so annoying...

Anyhow, Eden has a baddie gunning for her (this is tied t
Libby
May 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't finish this. It was tooooooo boring. I kept thinking I should read just a bit more, because something (anything!) interesting must be about to happen, but it Just. Never. Did.

Basically, it went like this: Man with a facial scar meets pretty woman. He worries she won't like him because she's physically 'perfect' and he is not. She says she does want him. And repeat. Again. And again. And again. Are they ever going to move on from this endlessly tedious r
 ~V~
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Day Breaks is book 9 in Maya Banks KGI series and features Daryl Swanson or “Swanny” as he’s known by his teammates, as the hero. We were first introduced to Swanny in Whispers in the Dark, book 4. He was Nathan Kelly’s Army teammate, they were both captured in Afghanistan and tortured but escaped with the help of Nathan’s now wife, Shea. They both came away with internal and external scars, but Nathan now has Shea to help him deal with his, sadly Swanny is on his own and leading a pretty s ...more
Bj
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
*I gave this audiobook a C for the story and A- for the narration at AudioGals.

Narrator: Adam Paul

Sometimes you go into a listen with certain expectations. In the case of When Day Breaks, I was expecting a hardcore, suspenseful listen with, given many of Maya Banks’ prior works, a racier edge to the passion side. Unfortunately, when I discovered that I actually had something completely different, I was just never able to really warm up to what turned out to be more of a sweet romance bearing a
Elizabeth H.
Keri
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Auntee

Anyhow, Eden has a baddie gunning for her (this is tied to her father's past) so Swanny and his
♥Rachel♥
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Eden is a supermodel whose beautiful face has graced countless magazine covers. But her life is about to be turned upside down when an attempt is made on her life which throws her into the protective arms of Swanny, and his teammates at KGI.

Swanny remembers Eden’s pictures and sweet, thoughtful letters her brother shared during their time in the military while stationed in Afghanistan. The thought of Eden in danger brings all of his protective instincts to life. When his team is sent i
Drea
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting

I have read this series since the beginning, and have anticipated each new release. To me, the last good book in the series was Shades of Gray. This one was too repetitive. If you never read a book in the series before you really wouldn't need to after reading this one. I was so tired of reading the same thing over and over! Also, I like a good balance of action and romance, and this one was a bit too heavy on the romance for my taste. I was bored and found myself skippin
Lynne
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was hoping for either Joe's story or Sean & Rusty
Susan
Jun 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Seriously? What happened? There is more teen angst in this book than in all of the Twilight books.
Luzie
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5/5 stars
Mateja
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it

I am a big fan of this series. It's the perfect mix of suspense and nonstop action with a strong emphasis on family loyalty and unconditional love. But I was sad to see that it was mostly loyalty to the beloved characters that kept me reading this time. Every once in a while a book from this series comes out that deviates strongly from what I think is the perfect recipe for a romantic suspense novel. As is the case with When Day Breaks. It lacked action and sadly the strong "family feel
Mary Catherine
Jul 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
What's happened to the KGI series? In a series that was once action-packed and sexy, I find myself now wading through a flowery (!!) romance of simpering men and "perfect" women. I didn't find strength in any of the characters, least of all Swanny, who had been depicted in previous books as broody but dangerous. Eden felt like a one-dimensional character meant to change readers' opinions of supermodels. Together, their romance felt instant and was not fleshed out at all. What I loved so much in ...more
Angie Byrne
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this in a day as I couldn't put it down, waited a long time to get it. I do have to say that I was a little bored with all the soul searching/ introspection and actually skimmed some paragraphs as the wording in each was practically identical.
I love this series and eagerly await each instalment but feel this was weak writing with very little believable plot. I mean, come on, in this day and age who is still a virgin at 24? And Swanny has so many scars, doesn't believe in one night stands bu
Chitra *CJ*
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
"When Day Breaks" is the story of Swammy and Eden, and a diabeties inducing love story in a protector-victim plot of KGI series.
Swammy was adopted into KGI family after being rescued in Nathan's book. We know he's scarred, and extremely insecure about him looks- finding himself unlovable.
When some old teammates contact the KGI for a personal mission, he realizes its to do with Eden, the supermodel and most beautiful woman in the world- who he's always loved from afar.
Now 80% of the book is
-Swam
Malinda
3.5-4 stars

This was a pretty good story. I already liked Swanny from previous books and was hoping that he's find someone that would love him past his scars. Eden ended up being a great match for Swanny as she has a big heart and doesn't care about his scars.

Eden is a model and considered one of the most beautiful women in the world. She lost her mom years ago but is close to her dad and 2 brothers. Regardless of her job as a model, Eden is very down to earth and a nice woman. She's milking her
Christine
Feb 06, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, romance
My first thought after abandoning this book is that maybe it was written for men. Eden was called "every man's wet dream" more than once ... and maybe that's exactly what this was intended to be? I mean here we have "the most beautiful woman in the world" (according to TIME magazine), who is also beautiful on the inside, a world-famous model, adorable without her makeup, tough, in shape, bold and passionate when it comes to chasing the man she wants, and yet amazingly still a virgin at 24. Oh, a ...more
Fanny
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok

When Day Breaks es el noveno y ultimo libro ( por ahora ) publicado de la serie KGI de Maya Banks y narra la historia de Swanny ( amigo y compañero del ejercito de los gemelos Kelly ) y Eden.
Sinceramente desde que lei la sinopsis de esta historia me imagine que no me gustaria tanto como los demas libros, ademas leer la historia de Swanny no me atraia demasiado, ya que pensaba ( y sigo pensando ) que hay otros personajes que merecen mas un libro que el.
Otro de mis " problemas " con esta lectura f
Victoria
It is a with a sad heart...I bid this series goodbye. This time, I mean it!

I'm giving this three stars just because I felt so dreadful about the low rating I gave the last book in this series. I seriously hate "hating" on a book. Even more so, I hate, absolutely hate the idea of having to say goodbye to the KGI group. I've loved this series from the very start, but unfortunately, it's just not working for me anymore.

All the character's are just too perfect. The hero's have no edge, no danger. T
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 03, 2017 03:31PM
Can Maya Banks fix this series? 6 103 Sep 07, 2014 01:50PM
The World of Maya...: When Day Breaks June 25-July 1 45 39 Jul 07, 2014 01:17PM
how about resnick's version? 1 43 Apr 03, 2014 04:22AM
  • Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)
  • Fatal Strike (McClouds & Friends #10)
  • Renegade (Dark Ops, #3)
  • Nauti Enchantress (Nauti, #7; Nauti Girls, #3)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • I Dream of Danger (Ghost Ops, #2)
  • Living on the Edge (Edge #1)
  • Hell for Leather (Black Knights Inc., #6)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)
  • Night Moves (Shadow Force, #4)
  • Against the Mark (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #9)
  • Deep Disclosure (A-Tac, #4)
  • SEALed With A Kiss: Heroes With Heart
  • Midnight Pursuits (Killer Instincts, #4)
  • Tightly Wound (SEALS, Inc., #4)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.

KGI (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1)
  • No Place to Run (KGI, #2)
  • Hidden Away (KGI, #3)
  • Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)
  • Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5)
  • Shades of Gray (KGI, #6)
  • Forged in Steele (KGI, #7)
  • After the Storm (KGI, #8)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10)
  • Brighter Than the Sun (KGI, #11)
“It's not ugly. It's a mark of courage. Of survival. I think you're beautiful.” 4 likes
“You were made for me, Eden. Just as I was made for you. We fit. We just fit.” 3 likes