Start by marking “Journal of Katherine Mansfield” as Want to Read:
Journal of Katherine Mansfield

Journal of Katherine Mansfield

1927. Katherine Beauchamp was born in New Zealand and at the age of 13 was sent to England to school at Queen's College. It was here she truly began her writing career. It is difficult to compile a critical evaluation of Katherine Mansfield's work. Her work seems to be of a finer and purer kind than that of her contemporaries. It is more spontaneous, more vivid, more delic ...more
Published April 1st 1983 by Ecco Press (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Journal of Katherine Mansfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journal of Katherine Mansfield

Violet wells
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In July 1942 Irène Némirovsky, author of the now-bestselling Suite Française, wrote in her notebook on her last day of freedom before she was deported by the Nazis, "The pine woods all around me. I am sitting on my blue cardigan in the middle of an ocean of leaves, wet and rotting from last night's storm, as if I were on a raft, my legs tucked under me! In my bag I have put Volume II of Anna Karenina, the Journal of KM and an orange."

KM's husband John Middleton Murry published this journal after
lorinbocol
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
chiuso il libro riesco solo a desiderare fortissimamente di scivolare ancora, quando sarà, in pagine così febbrili. che pulsano di aneliti e vivono dell'attimo, riuscendo nell'instabilità della parola a restituirmelo: ogni attimo ferocemente, senza mezze misure.
katherine mansfield era frustata da ogni possibile percezione della vita, tipo una falesia dal vento e dalle onde. c'è un che di selvatico in lei, di talmente indomito, necessario e disarmante, una tale totalizzante e sgomenta tensione, c
Yani
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-ficción
Leer un diario como este da la misma sensación que estar espiando el alma de alguien. No todos los diarios deben despertar las mismas ganas de leerlos (por supuesto) pero Mansfield, por suerte, quería que la leyeran y eso es evidente. Así que no hay mucho de qué avergonzarse.

No se puede contar el argumento del diario porque no existe. Se tratan miles de temas (algunos triviales, otros decididamente trascendentales) en una pocas páginas, se cambia de a saltos, hay fragmentos de libros, anotacion
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Many years ago I found a copy of a totally pirated 1950s edition of this book in a second-hand bookshop in Malaga. The book had been printed in Cyprus, and was marked "not to be sold in the UK." Cause, like, we totally didn't have permission! Plus ça change, and all that. There were pirate copies of Shakespeare's plays floating around in the 17th century, with added scenes that Willy had nothing to do with.
I read my copy literally to pieces. I had never read any of Mansfield's work before that,
Aug 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I admit, this diary (or at least this version of it) doesn't stand on it's own in the the way that Virginia Woolf's does, for instance. But, but, if you love Katherine, as I do, you'll cherish every stray fragment. Through all her suffering, she was nevertheless able to find beauty all around her, in a moth, a leaf, a cloudy day. With every turn of the page, one is more keenly aware that her days are/were numbered.

I wish I could read each entry on the appropriate day and keep a kind of correspon
soulAdmitted
Narrando i suoi giorni palesi e quelli nascosti e ormai vicina all'ultimo passaggio dimensionale, Katherine scrive:

"Da quando ha memoria di sé, ella ha trascorso una vita tipicamente falsa. Eppure, malgrado tutto, ella ha avuto momenti, attimi, sprazzi di luce che le han fatto sentire la possibilità di qualcosa di ben diverso".

In queste pagine si intravede un notevole potenziale inesploso, sì.
Mi tengo stretti gli sprazzi di luce, ma torno veloce ai miei venerati, ben diversi, incenDiari.
Starfish
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I was heading back to NZ, I thought it might be fitting to pack Katherine Mansfield's journal to take with me -- I didn't realise that this journal is made up mostly of material from the last years of her life where she is ill, worried about her writing and in large amounts of pain. Reading this while preparing for general anaesthetic, and again after the anaesthetic has worn off was a weird feeling to say the least.

That said, I love it. Mansfield's always been that little bit intimidatin
Wayne
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bloomsbury Fans & New Zealanders
Recommended to Wayne by: A One Woman, One Act Play in Sydney
I was amused to find
that one of the words Katherine Mansfield really jelled with was..... "little".
It has a resonance that I have not encountered with any other writer.
"Seven Little Australians" by Ethel Turner probably comes the closest,
and it is only fitting seeing they were probably living in the same era,
definitely came from the same part of the Globe
- Mansfield from New Zealand and Turner from Australia -
and their sentimentality has the backing of an Iron Rod.
These girls could bite the b
Laila (BigReadingLife)
I can't for the life of me remember why I ordered Katherine Mansfield's journal and one of her books of short stories from the main library. That said, I'm glad I did! I've never read a whole journal before, just probably a piece or two here or there for a class. Reading a journal feels strange, like maybe I'm sneaking a peak into someone's brain and I'm not sure that they would want me to do so, you know? Mansfield was a really entertaining woman, from what I can tell, and she has a very relata ...more
Catherine
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"...the amount of minute and delicate joy I get out of watching people and things when I am alone is simply enormous- I really only have 'perfect fun' with myself. [...] Just the same applies to my feeling for what is called 'nature'. Other people won't stop and look at the things I want to look at, or, if they do, they stop to please me or to humor me or to keep the peace. But I am so made that as sure as I am with anyone, I begin to give consideration to their opinions and their desires, and t ...more
natura
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un auténtico "Diario", no un escrito pensado para publicarse, si no las impresiones íntimas de la escritora sobre lo que le rodea y la enfermedad que la tiene postrada y agobiada. Tienes la sensación constante de ser un "voyeur", que no deberías estar leyendo todo eso sin su permiso, y, a la vez, te sientes impotente por no poder animarla, acompañarla en su soledad o proporcionarle algo de descanso en su agonía.
Una mujer muy dura consigo misma, muy sensible y muy exigente en cuanto a la calidad
Jim
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
If someone had told me a couple years ago that I would be reading the Journal of Katherine Mansfield, I would not have believed them. Through a series of events, I started reading this book.

Katherine Mansfield lived during the early 1900's and was a writer. What I found fascinating about reading her journal is that I identified with a lot of her struggles. I also found her point of view and the little descriptions of life at that time interesting.

The only reason I didn't finish this book was tha
Robert Fornes
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
He de reconocer que iniciaba la lectura del diario con una tremenda expectación, en parte por las buenas referencias recibidas y en parte por la vida que Katherine Mansfield llevó. Pero lo cierto es que me ha costado un horror terminarlo, pareciéndome muy lento y con caídas continuas en los conceptos de misantropía, soledad elegida, enfermedad y desasosiego. Le otorgo el valor testimonial que sin duda tiene, pero a nivel argumental, si es que un diario se puede valorar bajo ese prisma, es bastan ...more
Rosemary
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: persephone
This isn't a diary in the style of Virginia Woolf's, for example, but a selection of fragments - journal entries, unposted letters, ideas for stories - put together by Katherine Mansfield's husband, John Middleton Murry, after her death. He's done a remarkable editing job and produced a great book - its particular strength, for me, being in the way it reminds us to make the most of the life and the healthy times that we have, since she struggled so hard to work in the face of crippling illness a ...more
Kallie
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: journal
I have not read this for some time. What stays with me is how KM suffered. (Perhaps a second reading would change this impression.) I admire her writing, he unique 'voice.'
Alisa Cupcakeland
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es muy difícil evaluar un diario de vida, porque son escritos personales de una persona. De hecho, a veces me siento mal por andar leyendo intimidades de gente que jamás pensó que yo las leería. Dejando eso a un lado, disfruté mucho esta lectura, aunque algunos años me parecieron más interesantes que otros.

Debo reconocer que la faceta que más me llega al corazónd de KM corresponde a sus momentos depresivos. Porque puedo empatizar con lo que describe y no porque disfrute de su sufrimiento. De hec
Josephine Ensign
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Bits of gorgeous prose and insights into human nature in amongst the failings of her body as her health declined. I realize this is a very selected , carefully edited version created by her estranged husband after her death. Knowing that as I read the book made me deeply suspicious of the effect of his hand on her words.
Sol Rezza
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hermoso, fantástico, desolador. Todo eso es Katherine y mucho más y este diario lo refleja. Su mirada particular del mundo. Un libro que está al borde de mi biblioteca porque abro sus páginas con asiduidad.
Sarah Swarbrick
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Part journal, part writers notebook, such an interesting read.
Jane
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Most enjoyable, sad
Kim
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit maakte indruk. Een schrijversdagboek. Geen echt diepe bespiegelingen, maar heel erg aanwezig in haar 'nu'; Mansfield hield zich erg bezig met het de waarheid. Er is dan ook geen teken van opsmuk in haar schrijfsels. Haar Journal is niet een echte pageturner, enkele fragmenten heb ik twee of drie keer gelezen omdat het bij vlagen te mooi is om zomaar door door te lezen. Mansfield schrijft soms zó scherp dat ze een beeld telepathisch door lijkt te geven:

April 7. The heavens opened for the suns
Caprice
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Octavia Cade
I struggled with this. My feeling is that unless you already know a great deal about Mansfield's life, then this is not a particularly clear introduction to it. There's little indication of what's actually going on, it's very fragmented, and honestly I think its main value lies with researchers.

I didn't warm to her - the impression I was left with was that KM was a bit of a drama queen - and while the entries got clearer and less fussy as she developed her writing skills, my opinion didn't much
Cristina
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sarà perché é la prima cosa che ho letto di questa autrice, forse pensavo di "conoscerla meglio", però Dio mio é un continuo leggere di com'é tempo e di lei che non riesce a scrivere. Lo so poverina che lei era malata però non lo reggo. Molto belle invece le parti in cui scrive micro racconti o descrizioni, delicate le sue osservazioni sulle persone e particolari momenti della vita.
Stephanie Fontanilla
"... and tonight I hate her - which being interpreted, means that I adore her; that I..." - Katherine Mansfield, journal entry, June 1, 1907
Gudrun Mouw
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an author I've loved since before my literary studies. The journal documents a writer's struggle with terminal illness. I admire the tenacious spirit that shines through.
Petra

• Mariana
  • The New House
  • The World That Was Ours
  • Journals, 1889-1949
Kathleen Mansfield Murry (née Beauchamp) was a prominent New Zealand modernist writer of short fiction who wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield.

Katherine Mansfield is widely considered one of the best short story writers of her period. A number of her works, including "Miss Brill", "Prelude", "The Garden Party", "The Doll's House", and later works such as "The Fly", are frequently colle
“Risk anything! Care no more for the opinion of others ... Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth."

(Journal entry, 14 October 1922)”
530 likes