Start by marking “How to Get Your Child to Love Reading” as Want to Read:
How to Get Your Child to Love Reading

How to Get Your Child to Love Reading

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  544 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Are children reading enough? Not according to most parents and teachers, who know that reading aloud with children fosters a lifelong love of books, ensures better standardized test scores, promotes greater success in school, and helps instill the values we most want to pass on.

Esmé Raji Codell--an inspiring children's literature specialist and an energetic teacher--has t
Published June 6th 2003 by Algonquin Books (first published June 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Your Child to Love Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Your Child to Love Reading

Esther
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've been feeling that my preschool book club is becoming a little stale or that I have become stale. I have been leading it for 3 years and feel bored towards picking a book and activities. So on a whim I picked this book up hoping to get some new ideas but I didn't have a lot of hope for it...most books about reading to children or teaching them how to read are dull, blasé and not creative. This book took something like a dull potato and made it exciting. (If you have read the book, you will k ...more
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-related
A must for teachers and parents alike! It also came in handy during my stint as an elementary school librarian. Chock full of reading related activities and wonderful lesson ideas. It's a great jumping off point to work with.
Ami
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book would be a great reference addition to any home library. It is full of THOUSANDS of books for children and hundreds of ideas to get them reading (either singlely or in groups). My favorite thing about this fabulous resource is that she lists the books in topics. For example, she has a section on geography with the expected top-notch non-fiction books, bu also listed are many fiction books that go with that subject. She does the same with history, animals, gardening, drama, and many, ma ...more
Stacey
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and teachers
I love this book. As a lover of booklists it absolutely overwhems me in a delightful way. I have checked it out of the library many times, and just yesterday I found it on half.com for 75 cents plus shipping.
Relyn
I love, love, love this book. It's one I think every parent and teacher should read and reread. And that's just what I'm doing.
Shauna
Dec 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-have
I read this book every year . . . and then refer to it again and again. I love it. Brent calls it my "Book of Mormon" . . . to go with my "bible" which is the Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
Launna
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource for finding books to read. She has great activities that go along with subjects and books.
Emily
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Just happened to see this book on display at the library and after thumbing through it decided to check it out--if only for the amazing book lists! My two small kids love when I read to them and this book has given me some great ideas to make our reading time (and learning time!) more fun and to expand our book choices. She discusses all types of books (picture books to chapter books) in a broad range of genres: historical fiction, biography, poetry, folklore, mystery, science fiction...and has ...more
Lindsay
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I really, really like this book! The least entertaining and useful part really is the title. I LOVE book recommendations, and Esme has many, categorized by subjects, and ages. I love her list of must read by age 13, her reasons for reading aloud even when your children can read alone(of course!, her suggestions for when to decide if a classic is right for a teen. One of my favorite things I've walked away with is to teach children that people write books --authors --and to investigate their purp ...more
Julie Tompkins
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good resource for parents and teachers that provide lists of quality literature listed by theme, topic, or genre. This book also provides the reader with resources, lessons plans, and activity ideas throughout the book. I used this book to help me find Cinderella stories from many countries. The book listed several options of Cinderella stories that I could use in my classroom for my unit on Cinderella stories from around the world. All of the literature suggested in this book has ...more
Jennifer Wilson
Apr 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is written for young children. In my experience, young children, 2nd grade and below, enjoy reading, and do in deed love to read. The problem comes as children get older, and the uniqueness of being able to read independently wears off. A book that helps parents get their upper elementary age children and older to love reading with the same passion they once had is what is needed most. For those of you with young children, this book is dated and would be more valuable if it was updated ...more
September Michaud
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-science, 2015
Lots of information in this book! Includes many specialized lists of picture books and chapter books--has a list of books for just about every occasion/childhood experience. Good resource for helping kids find books they will relate to and books to help them cope with the trials of growing up.

Also includes commentary and personal stories by Esme Codell which are a nice break from all the lists, and keeps you reading.

Overall an awesome resource to have on the shelf for children's librarians, te
Stephanie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
While this book has a lot of great lists for future reference, I found Codell to be slightly condescending. In parts, I think she was trying to be funny, and it fell flat. In others, I think she was assuming that parents have no clue how to read to their child and make it fun.

Since my son absolutely loves to be read to I felt that maybe this book wasn't quite for me. It is definitely more for parents whose kids don't care for books. I did write down a few of the books she mentioned so I can get
kristen
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012

This book is a practical and comprehensive overview of children's literature and how to incorporate all genres into a child's reading development. Codell knows what she's talking about! Her passion is tangible when reading about literacy activities she did in her classroom, home, and library. I would highly recommend this book to educators! My copy is on loan from the library but I now plan to buy a copy to use as a resource for my classroom.
Lisa
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: book lovers with children
Shelves: nonfiction
My 15 year old son saw this book and remarked, "Mom, don't you think I already like to read?" I told him it wasn't for him, but for his nephew.
The best thing about this book is all the lists of books that could be good for various age groups. This book makes a great reference and you may find as I did, that you don't read every word or even from every page. I'm going to turn it back to the library, but I plan to check it out again for more book ideas.
Leah
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-tutoring
This book is super useful for a wide range of people. Teachers, tutors, parents and anyone with an interest in spreading a love of reading should read this for great ideas on how to make reading fun and appealing to every kid. As a tutor and teaching assistant, I use many techniques from this book on a daily basis and they really work!
Amber
This book looks pretty interesting, if you want some ideas for kids books it is full of them. The organization of the books is a bit dry and boring, but the sheer number of books she talks about is big. It turns into a list book more than anything, but the parts that she writes are kinda cute. There are ideas for how to spend time with your kids besides reading also.
Kelly
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is FANTASTIC!! I have it on loan from the library but am purchasing my own copy this week. Has TONS of book ideas and ideas for keeping children engaged in reading - from early ages up. Also has some neat ideas for things you can do volunteering in schools, etc. Would highly recommend to all - especially parents and teachers.
Marilyn
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic resource. She sold children's books before she became a teacher and a mother and now an author/reading website founder. Great, great suggestions in here. Love the organization and we share some favorites, but there are MANY titles in here I've never heard of. So good. I love her opening remarks--the principle of the potato.
Juliet
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended for any parents or baby gift buyers out there. We use this book all the time. When your kids first get obsessed with dinosaurs (or drums or dance) or start studying Colonial America at school, out comes the book. You can look up tons of categories and find children's books that fit the topic to keep them engaged.
Karyn
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous resource with so many lists of children's books on just about every topic you can think of. I will pull this out many times in the future to get ideas. If you love kids books, or want ideas on what books are good, you have got to look into this one. Don't be afraid of its size... It is a very easy read.
Mary Louise Sanchez
This book really fits every shelf and more on my Goodreads page. Esme Codell has ideas, activities, and lists of great books, by subjects and age groups, to help parents guide their child's reading. A reference treasure which calls to be revisited with over 3,000 hand-picked titles--many with pictures.
Christina
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is great. My sister's friend recommended it. And it's a good place to go when you don't know what to read aloud next. There are also lots of ideas on how to get your kids excited about reading. And if you have a child that reads so much that you can't keep up it will give you lots of suggestions of what to read next. I just borrowed it from the library but I hope to buy it soon.
Staci
Jan 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschooling
Great resource book for all categories / topics of books that your kids would love to read. Great categories ie. "Power books for Girls", "Jurassic Period" etc. Varied. Entertaining.

It's like the Bible of books. Very thick. If I can't hold onto this forever from the library I'm going to have to buy one.
Danna
Apr 11, 2009 added it
Esme Codell is awesome. She takes what we know and NEED to know about reading and puts it in language everyone can understand. This is a great book, not only for parents, but for anyone who wants kids to love books.
Esmeralda
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A compendium of suggestions to engage children in reading. There are many picture book titles I have been exposed to, as well as tips to use. This is inspiring and helpful for anyone who wants to nourish children.
Judy
Feb 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lists books for kids at every level from primary to high school. Has reviews and how to approach interest, how to pair modern stories with classics, projects for book talks. Every school library should have this incredible resource. Great gift for parents.
Alissa
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a great resource for finding books to read in different genres. I can't say that I read the book cover to cover, but I checked out quite a few books that she recommended and they were great!
Whitney
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
There is so much in this book! Wonderful ways to develop a love for reading in any child. Many important ways to share books and all the benefits that come from reading. Filled with fun activities, cute illustrations, advice, and book recommendations. LOVED IT!!!
Katie
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, teaching
This is a comprehensive guide to getting any child interested in reading. We are using this book in my Primary reading and LA methods class and there are so many ideas and book suggestions. This book is great for: teachers, parents, and relatives looking to buy quality children's literature.
  • Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens--Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Interest
  • The Read-Aloud Handbook
  • 100 Best Books for Children
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • The Power of Reading: Insights from the Research
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension to Enhance Understanding
  • Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
  • Guiding Readers and Writers (Grades 3-6): Teaching, Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Classrooms That Work: They Can All Read and Write
  • Yellow Brick Roads: Shared and Guided Paths to Independent Reading 4-12
  • Making the Match: The Right Book for the Right Reader at the Right Time, Grades 4-12
  • Reading Essentials: The Specifics You Need to Teach Reading Well
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
Esme Raji Codell is the recipient of a prestigious James Patterson Pageturner Award for spreading the excitement of books in an effective and original way. She has been a keynote speaker for the International Reading Association and the American Library Association, a “virtual” keynote for the National Education Association’s “Stay Afloat!” online conference for first-year teachers, and a featured ...more
More about Esmé Raji Codell...