Start by marking “Breakaway (Portland Storm, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breakaway (Portland Storm, #1)

Breakaway (Portland Storm #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  5,334 Ratings  ·  413 Reviews
Portland Storm captain Eric “Zee” Zellinger knows how to get the job done, but leading his once elite team to victory is fast becoming a losing battle. He can’t lose focus now—not with his career on the line. But when his best friend’s little sister makes him an offer he can’t refuse, Eric could lose the drive the team relies on from their captain.

Still in a downward spira
Published December 11th 2013 by Night Shift Publishing (first published December 10th 2013)

The Deal by Elle KennedyThe Mistake by Elle KennedyAlex by Sawyer BennettPucked by Helena HuntingHim by Sarina Bowen
Hockey Hunks
337 books — 440 voters
Taking Shots by Toni AleoTrying to Score by Toni AleoThe Deal by Elle KennedyEmpty Net by Toni AleoSee Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
Best Hockey Romance
415 books — 766 voters

More lists with this book...

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo FreeBlxBbysb_zps2dd6ac5d.gif

FREE on Amazon US today (2/4/2015)

BLURB:
She’s reaching for a breakaway pass.

Dana Campbell has spent the past seven years in self-imposed isolation for a crime she didn’t commit. The danger is well in the past, but her panic attacks make it impossible to have a normal, healthy relationship with a man. Even her counselor has given up on her. She has to find someone she trusts to help her fight through the panic, or her seven-year ordeal will become a lifetime sentence. There’s only one man she f
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
An excellent story, and you can't beat free as a price. I fell in love with the protagonist, Dana, almost instantly and really wanted her to succeed. And Eric was almost as engaging. They were a perfect couple almost from the start, the only thing keeping them apart, really, was Dana's trauma from years ago.

I don't know anything about rape survival, and Dana's rape in the past was particularly brutal (no, this is not a spoiler, we learn of this pretty much from page one). I have no way to know h
Dali
4.5 torturously sweet stars
It's free on most eReader retailers! Amazon US -> http://amzn.to/1M3RF3p

Heard this one before? Girl has insecurity issues and asks trusted hot male friend to help her out and they fall in love in the process.

You’ve probably read it or seen it before but this is not that story. This is a torturously sweet story about the journey of a woman who was left emotionally scared and broken, but with the patient and loving help of her brother’s best friend, is put back toge
Angela Bee Bee
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hockey fans, Oregon, Seattle fans
Recommended to Angela Bee Bee by: miss v-cam
Amazon ---->http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H8T2ALS/?...

Imagine being handled with tender care by a man whose job is brutally physical.

Warm, comforting, sexy, sweet. Like a hot cocoa by the fire. The only thing that bothered me was (view spoiler)

I liked Eric. The way he spoke, his thoughts, his patience. God, this man is a saint! His balls musta been blue
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads
This was a really sweet story - almost nonexistent steam, which I usually can't abide by - but it worked for me in this one.

I really liked Dana and Eric and I'll read just about any sports romance that involves hockey.

Save this one for when you are in the mood for a more tame, sweet romance with a lot of depth.
Jenn
Warning Trigger:(view spoiler)

Eric and Dana grew up around each other. He's her brother, Brenden's- aka:"Soupy"- best friend.

At first, Dana was Soupy's kid sister, three years younger than him. They got along great, roughed housed, played hockey together and all was well. Until he starts to se
Jacqueline
I really enjoyed this story about a woman trying to recover from a brutal rape that took place 7 years ago. Thankfully the author didn't ignore the counselling aspect as some writers do. The heroine had done all that and this was her last hope. She asks her brother's BFF to try to get her used to a man touching her. The hero had loved her for years from afar. He was super sweet and caring and just all in for her. She was not as interesting a character but I think the author put more effort into ...more
Irina
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hockey, sports
13/15 - What a heart-warming book and what a great hero! ♥

Rezension: http://buecher.ueber-alles.net/?p=19955
Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hockey
4 1/2 stars. I really enjoyed this book.
Jac (For Love and Books)
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, y’all. Let’s get real. This book? It blew me away. Knocked my socks off. And a variety of other random, cliche, remarks. It was fantastic.

It’s the classic, falling in love with your brother’s best friend story. And it doesn’t help that Eric has to be one of my top five book boyfriends of all time. He was just amazing. (But I feel like I can’t go farther without spoiling parts of the story!)

I feel like writing a review for this book without gushing just isn’t possible. It’s one of those books
Tandie
This was a freebie that a friend recommended, and surprise! It was actually good. Dealt with touchy subjects like rape and PTSD. A few steamy scenes. Positive family relationships and friendships. There was hockey lingo I didn't understand, not a big deal. I liked the family feel of the team & staff.

Eric was a bit of a Gary Stu. Dedicated team captain, mad therapist skillz, and master of self restraint. He takes in stray persons and provides sexual healing. For certain strays. So, yeah, got
Kanwarpal Singh
I loved the premise of the story, that Dana went to the only man she trusted to learn how to be intimate again after being raped. I don’t think it was executed well though. Nor did I think the subject of the rape was handled particularly gently. Dana was gang raped, and the notion is flung at the reader in a take-it-or-leave-it kind of way. Dana is so damaged that she can’t handle being touched by a man even in a non-intimate way. She’s stopped all contact with the opposite sex, even hugging her ...more
~Mindy Lynn~
Freebie 6/4/17
Jill
Nov 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Too much hockey talk, lost interest.
Merrin
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Things I liked:

Catherine Gayle has clearly watched a game. I'm not sure how many games she's watched, because while some details were spot on, others not so much (see things I couldn't get behind). However! The details that were spot on were the ones that were most fleshed out and the ones she dwelt on the longest, so that works out. Probably. Anyway, the in game descriptions were well done and things you could actually say about hockey plays.

She also wrote the team pretty well. The interactio
Melody Cox
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first full length novel in the 'Portland Storm Hockey Series and wow, what a story it turned out to be. My emotions were pulled all over the place. I hope I can do the book and author justice in my review because this is a great read.

Eric “Zee” Zellinger was the Captain of the Portland Storm Hockey Team. He had been and still was in love with Dana Campbell, his best friend's sister. She had also been a hockey player throughout her life but gave it up during college after she was brut
Lia
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! What a great romance! This was a freebie and the first book I have read from this author.
Gayle has done an exceptional job and I am looking forward to reading more of her work!
Sherry
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok

I could get my Canadian citizenship revoked for saying this, but Breakaway, by Catherine Gayle, had too much hockey in it. For those who don’t know the sport or aren’t interested in it, I can’t imagine they’d even finish the book.

LaFleurBleue
Surprisingly sweet, given the premises (view spoiler)
In terms of style, each chapter is divided in 2 parts, one told by the female lead, and the other by the male lead. It's rather well done, but this might not be the cup of tea of some readers.
The hero almost seemed too good to be true, but with just enough failings to remain humane. However I would have liked it better if he had been a bit more multi-dimensional, either in his past o
Julia
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just couldn't put this book down. I've read it so fast even though I still had other stuff going on that day.
The writing was addicting and so good.
The storyline was solid and what I loved is that there wasn't a case of 'sudden healing just cause she has feelings for him'. I mean at some point it was moving a bit fast with how Dana was handling it all but it was never the case that it wasn't understandable at all.
Even though the book has such a dark back story I was never feeling down or depres
Miusseth
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I adored Eric!! Talk about a hot sexy aaand caring lovable guy!
You could practically feel his love for Dana... Everything they went thru was just too hard, too painful, but he never gave up. He was a Rock! I was getting frustrated with her, but it was a tough experience and it definitely wasn't easy...
I liked all the characters (especially Babs) and I could feel a story coming for each one in the series.
So, why not five stars? Well... it was too much hockey info for me. I'm not into sports, but
V.L. Locey
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Much closer to a 4.5 star read. This is a wonderful story of trust. We follow the heroine as she works to move past a horrific incident. Her plight is real, detailed, and believable. As is the romance and the leading man. The couple feels right, not forced in any way. This book just works on all levels. The hockey speak was a delight for a fan like me yet shouldn`t be too heavy to turn off those who aren`t fans of the sport. ...more
Kristal Taylor
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. This is my second hockey series. I've never seen a game. It's on my bucket list. Dana ask her brothers (Brenden) best friend (Eric) to help her. I felt so sorry for her. Her story was tragic. Dana was also pretty amazing because even though she had her panic attacks she was still so brave and willing to fight. I really liked that about her. The two of them were so cute together and their story does not disappoint.
Vikki Vaught
I enjoyed Breakaway. It is an emotionally-charged story with great characters. This is a great start on this series. It's fast-paced and the writing flows smoothly. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys hockey and sports romances. Happy reading!
Nikki
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puck-slut
3.5
CC
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Zee was so awesome. Wow. But Dana's issues were horrible and gut wrenching. I would have liked a bit more of a love story, with sexy times. Not constant panic attacks.
Kieli
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-2017
Breakaway
Kieli Robinson
October 11, 2016
English 10 - 2

1. Author’s Background
Catherine Gayle is a USA Today bestselling author of more than thirty contemporary hockey romance and Regency-set historical romance novels and novellas, with more than half a million books sold.

2. Literary Time Period
This book was published in North America in 2013.
3. Setting
The story took place somewhere between 2011- 2012 in Portland, Oregon. This is where Eric lives and plays professional hockey.

4. Characters
Dana- M
Ruby
This was a gentle and redemptive love story set against the highly competitive and violently physical professional hockey world. The contrast between the story of a friendship/romantic love that heals horrible wounds from the past and a testosterone charged atmosphere is heady in the same way that highland warrior stories are and just as addicting. I enjoyed this story even though I know nothing about hockey and didn’t understand (at all) what was happening when hockey games were described. The ...more
Marissa Chavez
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dana and Eric's story was so special. Dana asked for her best friend help and he did help her. Even though he had his doubts Eric was always by her side. I loved that they found there rhythm together and that it worked out for best! Oh I gotta say that I loved Babs he was so cute and adorable! Can't wait to read the next book!
Heike
May 17, 2017 marked it as not-for-me-dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Girl in her late twenties was gang raped as a teenager. She suffers fear of being touched, but craves a relationship. Who better to de-sensitize her than her brother's best friend, sexy professional hockey player Eric.
This reads very much like a Young Adult story, dramatic and unrealistic (I am old, this is how I perceive YA books), narrated in first person changing back and forth from "her view" to "his view".
I did not finish this, not saying it's bad, just not my taste, thus no rating.
Modern Good Reads: R4R: Breakaway (Contemporary Hockey Romance/New Adult) 1 15 Dec 16, 2013 11:35AM
  • Faceoff (Heller Brothers, #2)
  • On the Surface (In the Zone, #1)
  • Rushing Amy (Love and Football, #2)
  • Seduced by the Game
  • Hired (Hot Ice, #1)
  • Fire on Ice (Fire on Ice #1)
  • Fair Play (Hat Trick, #1)
  • Taking Charge
  • Inside Heat (Mustangs Baseball, #1)
  • Melting Away The Ice (The Ice Series #1)
  • Breakaway (Penalty Kill #1)
  • The Enforcer (NHL Scorpions #1)
  • Game Changer (Bomb Squad #3)
  • Should've Known Better (Storm, #1)
  • One Night with a Quarterback (Santa Fe Bobcats, #1)
  • Play by Play (Play Makers Shorts, #1)
***Please note that series numbering of the Portland Storm series is different at Goodreads than it is on Catherine's website or at any retailer. Goodreads policy will not allow the series numbering to match anything else. If this confuses you, please complain to Goodreads, as it is not Catherine's fault.***

Catherine Gayle is a USA Today bestselling author of more than forty contemporary hockey ro
More about Catherine Gayle

Portland Storm (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • On the Fly (Portland Storm, #2)
  • Light the Lamp (Portland Storm, #3)
  • Delay of Game (Portland Storm, #4)
  • In the Zone (Portland Storm, #5)
  • Comeback (Portland Storm, #6)
  • Dropping Gloves (Portland Storm, #7)
  • Losing an Edge (Portland Storm, #8)
  • Game Breaker (Portland Storm, #9)
  • Defensive Zone (Portland Storm #10)
  • Power Play (Portland Storm #11)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“Panic attacks are crazy beasts. They don’t care what you think you’re ready for. They don’t care what you want. They just take control, and then you suffer.” 6 likes
“Screwing up one minute doesn’t mean you can’t be amazing the next. You just have to learn from your mistakes. Go in and try something different next time.” 6 likes