Start by marking “Leaving Megalopolis (Leaving Megalopolis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Leaving Megalopolis (Leaving Megalopolis, #1)

Leaving Megalopolis (Surviving Megalopolis #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  477 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
When the caped heroes of the world's safest city inexplicably all turn into homicidal lunatics, no one is safe.

The only rational thing to do is get the hell out of town. If only it were that easy...
Published 2013 by Painfully Normal Productions

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Megalopolis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Megalopolis

Sam Quixote
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
A North American city lies in devastation following a massive superhero battle – it’s Metropolis post-Man of Steel!

Mina, a cop with a secret, leads a group of survivors through the ruins of Megalopolis while avoiding the superheroes-gone-bad. They’ve gotta make it to the bridge out of the city to safety – but will they make it? And what’s turned all the heroes into crazed murderers anyway?

Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore’s short but pretty decent superhero-horror comic takes the same approach as Th
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I adored this! There were only some bits I wasn't too crazy about but, for the most part, I loved this! I sincerely wish they'd put together a live action adaptation because it is a really cool concept. Sure, both DC and Marvel have dabbled with "What if superheroes were evil?" but they never did it with quite the same level of having the supers attack the humans.

This series did a great job at glossing over the explanation as to why the heroes turned on the public. We don't need a hug
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this after seeing it advertised as a successful start up and the preview and idea of the story caught my attention.

The best thing about this comic is the artwork. It gives so much character to the 'heroes' before they even start dialogue. They are drawn with such Intuition and they really deliver.

However, the heroes have no powers. The real heroes are the people trying to escape. No spoilers here, but the one thing volume 1 lacks is not enough character background. It starts from the o
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is the scariest book I've read this year.

I think we've all read/seen episodes where the good guys "go bad." It's a pretty standard trope. Super Sentai has an evil Blue arc just about every single season.

You have never seen the concept done in as brutally terrifying a manner as this. It's visceral and disturbing and sometimes hurts to turn the page. This book is about the things you love turning against you in ways you are incapable of actually imagining but Gail Simone is. It's honestly too
Nov 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I backed this book as a project on kickstarter, and got my copy in the mail today. As soon as I go inside, I sat down, tore open the package, and read the entire thing cover to cover. It didn't take very long - I finished the entire book, plus the backup story, in about 30 minutes. So it's short - very short. And probably because of this, it seems to take a lot of storytelling shortcuts, leaning heavily on old tropes and well-worn themes that don't need to be fleshed out in any great detail. The ...more
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I very much want to read more tales of the Megalopolis. This was one well put-together book, especially considering that Simone and Calafiore put this together themselves through Kickstarter.

I loved how they teased the horror of this post-insanity world - heroes gone stark-raving bejeebers. There were some obvious comparisons to The Boys and Crossed (both by Garth Ennis, who's a big favourite of mine), and yet this felt like it mined territory of the passers-by (not the loonies) but didn't spend
Brian Poole
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Leaving Megalopolis reunited the creative team of Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore for a dark, dystopian superhero tale.

Some time before the start of Leaving Megalopolis, a calamity befell the big city where most of the costumed heroes lived. During a fight with an odd beast, they all became “infected.” Now in ripped, dirty costumes, with major physical deterioration, the heroes have turned Megalopolis into a deadly hell. They hunted the normal people trapped in the city. Killing them seemed to aba
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was already a fan of Gail Simone, but this is my first exposure to Jim Calafiore and he is sensational. His long experience on regular superhero comics would be a great background for this way darker than normal gritty superhero/antihero story.

Also gorgeous colors by Jason Wright and strong, clear lettering from Dave Sharpe and I have so say that on all the technical levels, Leaving Megalopolis is great.

It wouldn't matter if the story and characters were compelling. Terrible things happen, an
David Caldwell
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was funded through Kickstarter.

Megalopolis is the safest city anywhere. That is because it is the homebase for a bunch of superheroes. But when these superheroes face a threat in the form of a monster that rises up from the ground, They become twisted homicidal killers. The heroes are in constant pain and the only way to relieve it even temporarily is to kill normal humans. Killing other superhumans doesn't seem to satisfy them. The superheroes begin a deadly game of cat and m
***Dave Hill
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: illustrated
I didn't enjoy this Kickstarted tale as much as I wanted to (despite my appreciation for both creators) or expected to (because of same). In part, that's because the story is so short -- a thin volume that feels more like a children's illustrated book in thickness -- and in part because the territory is so familiar -- super-heroes gone maniacally homicidal. The reveal of how this comes about is more original, but also comes across as a bit of hand-waving.

Which is mostly okay, because the story i
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore had a very good run on The Secret Six. They decided on a Kickstarter campaign to fund their new project, and out of the few Kickstarters that I have helped fund this is the best one yet.

Megalopolis is the safest city on the planet because of all the superheroes who live there. Until, an earthquake releases an entity and gases from underneath the Earth. The reader can determine for themselves exactly why the heroes become homicidal maniacs who hunt and kill for fun.
Bill Williams
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Kickstarted by fans, this original graphic novel is a survivor horror story with costumed heroes standing in for zombies. The narrative follows a band of survivors as they attempt to leave a generic city full of crazed costumed psychopaths.

As with most of these stories, the streets are bare except for the survivors and their enemies. There is a neighborhood association that kills people that play their music too loud. There are a few gleeful murders with bodies ripped apart by the costume-weari
Jennifer Lavoie
I am so glad I helped Kickstart this project. When I got the book in the mail I was thrilled. The story is fantastic, the art is beautiful, and the quality of the book itself is top of the line.

The story is dark and follows residents of Megalopolis as they try to flee from the city. After some sort of accident, all of the cities heroes have gone crazy and instead of helping the citizens, they're harming them.

I can't wait to read more of this series. It really is fantastic and engaging. I hope
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I backed the Kickstarter instantly even though the plot didn't appeal to me because I love Gail Simone, and my reading experience was pretty much what should be expected from that - the characters were surprisingly well-fleshed out for such a brief story, but the plot was everything I don't care to read in comics. I'm not a fan of grim and gritty. It had Its moments and the end wasn't bad, but ultimately I'm just not the target audience for this kind of story.
Enjoyable read - but it was a bit dark. Apparently, this was a Kickstarter program first! That's pretty cool. Gail Simone always does good work. Apparently, I'm just rambling now. Anyway, recommended.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, 2016
If you read anything from this team before you know it was well done. If they were going for depression that what I had when I finished. The city fell apart pretty fast, I might have too much faith in mankind, just thought more people would stand up.
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Nice art, but holy crap nothing happened in this book. oh well. maybe just not my thing...
Nima Ghadiri
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Superhero comic books, when told from the perspective of the ordinary civilian, can be outstanding work like Kurt Busiek's Marvels series which followed photographer Phil Sheldon as he documented this brave new era. However I do find the additional hook of superheroes turning evil a guilty pleasure, and Leaving Megalopolis follows this theme.

The benchmark for me is the plot, though not the execution, of the Injustice book from DC, a comic series which was spun out of a computer game. The central
Andy 117
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-comic-hcs
Comic superstars Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore, fresh(ish) from their collaboration on the fan-favourite Secret Six, decided to make a book all on their own. With the internet magic that is the crowd-funding platform Kickstarter, and a legion of devoted fans with faith enough to lay down their own money to help make it happen, Simone and Calafiore successfully pitched Leaving Megalopolis - a dark tale of superheroes gone very, very bad.

The end result is a gorgeously illustrated and deftly writte
Fraser Sherman
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5. Reminiscent of Irredeemable, this has a group of regular people struggling to get out of the city (think Marvel's New York) after the Avengers/Justice League type team has gone psycho. A good read.
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
read 8/15/17
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
interesting idea that was successfully carried out
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gaile Simone. That enough is enough to want to make me read this. Obviously, the story is awesome, and completely bat$hit crazy.
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Simone and Califore have crafted an interesting first act here, but its hard to really review it without seeing how the rest of it turns out.

I don't have much to add that other reviewers haven't said. I'm glad I read it, but I want to see how the rest of the story plays out. It ends pretty abruptly, so I'm sure there will be more in the series eventually.
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fumetti
Questo volume l’avevo preso a settembre di due anni fa, finanziandolo tramite Kickstarter.
Di cosa si tratta? E’ un fumetto supereroistico horror scritto da Gail Simone e disegnato da Jim Calafiore, autoprodotto dai due.
Dopo una lunghissima gestazione è finalmente poi stato prodotto, e la mia copia è arrivata a fine 2013.Di cosa parla?

Siamo a Megalopolis, la città più sicura al mondo, protetta da schiere di supereroi mascherati.
Ma qualcosa è andato storto, gli eroi sono diventati tutti sadici omi
Troy Dunham
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Basically an awesome zombie apocalypse story, except with deranged, homicidal superheroes instead of the walking dead.
Rugg Ruggedo
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gail Simone, in recent years, has become one of my favorite writers in comics. On the basis of her former work I picked this up with very little knowledge of what it was about, and by the time I reached the end of it, I had no regrets.
Super heros have turned on the population that they had been protecting, and the population has decided the best plan, in the face of that, is to run. This story follows a small group of those runners and the massively damaged city of Megalopolis. Almost at once th
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I was one of the Kickstarter backers and had high expectations of this book. Unfortunately, it didn't deliver. The premise is interesting and tonally the mood is very much perfect. The characters are diverse, but a bit stereotypical, and I hated seeing yet another woman protagonist motivated by family violence. I know Simone can write a strong woman protagonist who doesn't need a tragic back story inflected with rape and abused women. Unfortunately the protagonist is the only character we really ...more
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: signed
After picking this one up at C2E2 and getting it signed by both Gail Simone and Jim Calafiore, I wanted to give it a read post haste. I knew the name and look were familiar and when I picked it up to read it, I remembered the glowing reviews I had read when looking for some good reads.

Leaving Megalopolis is the story of what happens when the heroes you have grown to love, that have sworn to protect you become bloodthirsty lunatics.

The story picks up in the middle of the action and we discover th
Tiana Hanson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've started a journey through the land of graphic novels and comic books (late, I know, but give me credit for going there at all), and my friend recommended this one to me while we were browsing together. She wouldn't tell me much about it besides its Kickstarter history and a little about the creative team. Trusting her as my sherpa, I got it and was not disappointed in the least.

Mina as the protagonist whose story is revealed over the course of the book is wildly compelling and heartbreaking
Madison Mega-Mara...: #148 Leaving Megalopolis by Gail Simone 1 1 Dec 20, 2014 10:31AM
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Solo
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Avengers Assemble: Science Bros
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 4: The Four Disciplines
  • Starlight
  • Deadpool, Volume 8: All Good Things…
  • Sheltered, Volume 1: A Pre-Apocalyptic Tale
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Fables (The Deluxe Edition, #8)
  • Invincible: Ultimate Collection, Vol. 8
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • The October Faction, Vol. 1
  • The Hood, Vol. 1: Blood from Stones
  • Deadpool: The Ones With Deadpool
  • Ravine, Volume 2
  • Wayward, Vol. 2: Ties That Bind
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Surviving Megalopolis (2 books)
  • Leaving Megalopolis: Surviving Megalopolis (Leaving Megalopolis, #2)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys