Start by marking “Bone Gap” as Want to Read:
Bone Gap

Bone Gap

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  22,380 ratings  ·  4,259 reviews
Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Or ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Bone Gap, please sign up.
Patti Mallin Absolutely. I've been trying to get my 14 yr old to read it. I loaned it to my precocious 12 year old niece and she four-starred it. There is some,…moreAbsolutely. I've been trying to get my 14 yr old to read it. I loaned it to my precocious 12 year old niece and she four-starred it. There is some, shall we say, physical romantic activity, but fine for the girls I offered the book to.(less)
Emma I listened to Bone Gap in audiobook format before reading it, and it was an amazing experience. I did not have much difficulty switching between…moreI listened to Bone Gap in audiobook format before reading it, and it was an amazing experience. I did not have much difficulty switching between perspectives and I would highly recommend listening to the audio version of this book!(less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,888 voters
All the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenBone Gap by Laura RubySimon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky AlbertalliChallenger Deep by Neal ShustermanCarry On by Rainbow Rowell
Mock Printz 2016
85 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

·  22,380 ratings  ·  4,259 reviews

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
You can also find this review here!

“People look, they don't see.”

Just thinking about this incredible book I finished a few days ago brings back all the emotions I felt while reading. Bone Gap is honestly a masterpiece and I don’t say that lightly. It is however, also a very difficult book to review.

What kind of book is Bone Gap? The answer is: I don’t know. It's not really magical realism or fantasy, not contemporary, not a thriller or mystery. I have no idea how I would categorize it. It is b
C.G. Drews
REREAD UPDATE

So basically this book is my favourite and I can't even describe all the feels it gives me. I just am so entranced by the magical realism, slightly odd dusty and cornfield filled town of Bone Gap with it's strange beautifulness. And the characters. THE CHARACTERS. I can't even say how much I love Finn. <3 I relate to him so much ajfdksald and just the way the story twists and the whimsical tone...and ajfkdslad AFJSDKALFDJ.

Woooooords fail. I love it too much. TOO MUCH.

I also reall
Charlotte May
“Because we don’t have your typical gaps around here. Not gaps made of rocks or mountains. We have gaps in the world. In the space of things. So many places to lose yourself, if you believe that they’re there. You can slip into the gap and never find your way out.”

Genuinely can’t believe I read this in 1 day!
Bone Gap is certainly different, odd even. It’s unlike anything I’ve read before, and elements of the story reminded me of The Raven Cycle, with worlds within our world, disappearances ha
Lola
Somehow I forgot that this is a magical realism book before I started it.

I remembered halfway through, but before that, I couldn’t for the life of me understand why this contemporary story had so many weird and unrealistic elements.

I kept trying to find realism everywhere I looked, but of course that wasn’t the way to go. So when I finally remembered that such elements were to be expected, I stopped trying so hard and began to enjoy the story as it is.

Talking corn? Awesome! Creepy castle? Bwah,
TheBookSmugglers
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Once upon a time, a rich, powerful and mysterious man falls in love with a woman and takes her away to a magical realm where all but one of her wishes are commands, everything she needs is available – from amazing rooms and castles to beautiful dresses and servants to give her anything she wants. All that he asks is for her to love him back. A romantic fairytale scenario for a beautiful woman who is desired above all.

Except she says no. She says no every step of the way.

Re-read that first paragr
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Masooma
"But wasn’t that love? Seeing what no one else could?"

I haven’t read a lot of magical-realism books. I don’t even have a bookshelf for that but this absolutely enchanting read made me want to read more in the future. Bone Gap surely lived up to the name of its genre because it’s completely magical and perfectly real at the same time that it didn’t cease to fascinate me from beginning to end.

* Describe a book you love in recipe format since the alternative- using only adverbs- was impossible
Masooma
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
10 glossy stars out of 5

Explain a book that you loved written in recipe format.

2tbsp of sparkling writing + 4tsp of beautiful and well-drawn characters + a spoonful of honey + a pinch of just- the-right-amount-of romance and a pitcher of heart-wrenching reality. Garnished with a teensy bit of magic.

This in short, is Bone Gap, a page turner with an unexampled & touching story.

Bone Gap is a small talking town of people who do not listen, they only hear and pass on those whisperings around like
L A i N E Y
The dreamy quality of the writing in Bone Gap is out-of-this-world.

That had been weeks ago. Time moved so slowly here, or was it quickly? She had become unmoored from the present, loose and untethered, her mind rolling forward into the future, anticipating, and then dropping again into this torturous, unbearable present.

Here, there, everywhere.

See? See what I mean?
How is that anything but beautiful??

And I found myself almost holding my breath for moments with Roza and Sean.

Oh how hard I ship
Samantha
Magical realism books are so hard for me to discuss in written form. I find them much easier to talk about on video, so you'll have to wait for that for more clear thoughts.

I am willing to admit that my main reason for not liking this may lie in the fact that this takes elements of mainly the Boreas and Orithyia myth, but implies that it is Hades and Persephone by mixing some dashes of that myth in as well. But this is not the Hades and Persephone I know and love, and instead paints the 'Hades'
Claudia Ramírez
Oct 17, 2015 marked it as to-read
Laini Taylor personally recommended this one to me, so I'll definetly read it!

Beth
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I haven't read much magical realism. One notable example would be Jellicoe Road, which has an aspect of magical realism that adds a degree of richness to the character relationships and a poignancy to the story.

Which springboards straight into my problems with Bone Gap: there isn't much story underneath the magical realism. What is the book about, exactly? The hole a missing woman left in a town? Who populates this town, anyway? The brothers' relationship, which is central to their story, feels
Melki
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This book confirms what I've been suspecting for a long time now - magical realism is not for me.

What starts as a fairly straightforward missing person mystery lapses into night time horsey rides, enchanted kingdoms, and scary scarecrows. AND, that's what I really hate about this type of book - the author does not have to follow any rules. Anything can happen, and it frequently does. And, if you can't think of an ending for your book? Aw, what the heck - they lived in a snow globe, and it was al
Lia  °booksnpenguins°
I have found that people never love the way they say they do. They can't. They are just people. Full of lies and sentiment and fear.

This book was everything I've ever wanted in a book and more.
Wholesome writing, magical realism worthy of the definition, The Raven Cycle-like vibes, absolutely great and not cringey romance, realistic and heartbreaking family dynamics, amazing main characters (Finn and Sean and Petey and Roza and, frick, even the Rude boys were amazing), He says the scarecrows w
Elena
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book you guys...this book.
While I'm not necessarily sure if it actually is a book that everybody is going to like or even love I have to say it was so much more than I expected. And I loved every bit of it.

Bone Gap is a story about a girl named Roza that got kidnapped and a boy named Finn that saw it happen, but couldn't do anything against it. Sad thing is: nobody in their small town believes him.

BUT believe me, that is a very VERY short summary, because I don't want to give you too much i
Lotte
Riding on Night Mares and talking to corn fields. All is possible in the city of Bone Gap.
4.25/5 stars.
lauren ♡ (wonderless reviews)
Read this review @ my blog Wonderless Reviews

I received a copy of this book from Allen and Unwin in exchange for an honest review.

If there’s a book that’s impossible to review then guaranteed I’ll love it and have to review it! I’m having A LOT of the same issues with trying to review this book as I did with Strange the Dreamer, but hopefully I can be somewhat coherent.

I fell in love with Magical Realism last year because I find the concept so fascinating. I know it’s not for everyone because
Book Riot Community
This one took me by surprise. I had put it on my Overdrive wishlist a while ago, so didn’t really remember what it was about. It starts out like a pretty straightforward missing-girl-in-a-small-town YA mystery, but goes in places I never expected. I don’t know what to say without giving things away, but I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for something a little bit different in Young Adult.

–Sarah Nicolas

from The Best Books We Read In March 2017: http://bookriot.com/2017/04/04/riot-r...
__
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I had this friend who was really pretty (people said so on her Facebook photos all the time). She was so pretty the guy working at Cinnabon didn't charge her for an extra cup of frosting that she mistakenly thought was free (but charged me for it when I stepped up to pay). She was so pretty she could pay for five dollars' worth of food at Taco Bell with a $100 bill, even though the sign says you can't and everyone knows you can't do that at a fast food place, for crying out loud.

Sometimes being
Mari
To hear many more of my thoughts about this book, check out this podcast with my best friend!

In a word: stunning.

The spread of star ratings you'll find for this book absolutely points to how not-for-everyone this book is. It's hard for me to accept, though, because I feel like I found an absolute treasure. It was thoughtful and beautiful and meaningful and emotional. I ended up having to read this a lot slower than I imagined because every time I opened the book, I felt unmoored.

The mix of fab
Kels
Well this was one heck of a magical unicorn ride into a greatness.

The Bone Gap isn't going to be a book for everyone. In fact, I'm quite surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did, because magical realism books are more of a miss than a hit for me. On top of that, multiple POV's tend to throw me off. Yet Laura Ruby weaves such a mesmerizing tale that is lush, vivid, gorgeously written, and though at times I was slightly confused, the story was still somehow easy to keep up with and hard to pu
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
★★★★★★★★★★[10/10]

description

Bone Gap is a lot of things that other books aren't.
Funny.
Lyrical.
Heartrending.
Mystical.
Quasi-believable.

description

The words are poetic. Metaphors come to life. Cute boy Moonface slips into surrealistic otherworlds through gaps in the corn fields.

A scarecrow who teaches in a university kidnaps a girl and imprisons her in imaginary places.

Moonface has strange shortcomings. But he is easily forgiving, and a bit on the chivalrous side. It is one of those rare eccentric stories of a boy
Bonnie
‘Because we don’t have your typical gaps around here. Not gaps made of rocks or mountains. We have gaps in the world. In the space of things. So many places to lose yourself, if you believe that they’re there. You can slip into the gap and never find your way out. Or maybe you don’t want to find your way out.’

Finn O’Sullivan was the only witness to the kidnapping of Roza, his brother Sean’s girlfriend. But when he wrestles with his memories trying to recall the face of the man that took her, h
Leseparatist
Mar 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
I decided to give this novel a try based on its accolades and honours, and while I quite enjoyed it (even if I found it a little on the nose with the whole beauty / seeing people / faces thing), the way Poland and Polish culture are used left me irritated and confused. I kept wondering what decade the novel was supposed to be happening in, and were the strange anachronysms purposeful. Unfortunately, I'm afraid - not really.

But before I get to my beef with the novel, let me praise what I liked. T
☆☽Erica☾☆
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Wowza. This was splendid.

Bone Gap is a beautiful, magical story that has a bit of everything: mystery, romance, life lessons, complex characters, shocking twists, all in a unique and unassuming package. It's a bit dark and could be a tad frightening at times, but it also manages to ride along in a somewhat whimsical way. I was genuinely surprised by some of the events/personality traits of the characters in this book, and I feel like it deals with characters that we don't often see. This is espe
Melissa
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't have the words to explain how I feel about Bone Gap. It's not like falling in love. It's like learning what love is. It features one of the most nuanced depictions of humanity I've read in years and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
Lindsay
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finn and Sean O'Sullivan took in Roza, a Polish student who seems to have fled something violent. But now she is missing, kidnapped, with the only witness to it being Finn who can't describe the kidnapper. Finn and Sean are bereft, but Finn moves on by getting to know the prickly daughter of a local beekeeper. Meanwhile Roza's captivity is strange, and getting increasingly stranger.

That's a weird way of summarizing this book, but I'm desperately trying to dance around spoilers here. One of the g
Cynthia Hand
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recent-loves
Loved this one. Totally immersive, with beautiful language and a fascinating twist.
Justine
People look, they don't see.

Bone Gap is a story about perception and reality, and how people rarely have the two things aligned when it comes to those around them.

Roza is a beautiful woman who appears suddenly in the town of Bone Gap and is taken in by two brothers, Sean and Finn. Sean is the strong and steady older brother who has looked after his younger brother Finn since their mother left town to get remarried. Finn is a beautiful boy who keeps to himself and is thought of by the townspeople
Kim
4.5

How do you review an unreviewable book? The entire book reads as if it is a dream. How do you describe a dream? There is an impossibility in trying to make sense of what can not be made sense of. I can try to describe to you the aspects that correlate with reality. But when they take a sudden nose dive into the magical, the inexplicable, the surreal...how do I explain that?

This is a book full of contradictions. It is a fairytale and it is not. It is a love story and it is not. It is a mythic
Realistic Fiction: Bone Gap 2 10 Jul 24, 2018 01:07PM
Play Book Tag: Bone Gap by Laura Ruby, 4 stars 3 15 Jun 11, 2018 09:58AM
Book Review 3 10 May 24, 2018 11:37PM
Crazy for Young A...: Pair 1: Vicki and Jessica (January 2018) 30 31 Jan 20, 2018 05:01PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add me as the translator of this book 3 19 Jan 03, 2018 01:13PM
  • The Alex Crow
  • Midwinterblood
  • Burn Baby Burn
  • The Walls Around Us
  • The Story of Owen: Dragon Slayer of Trondheim (The Story of Owen, #1)
  • A Tangle of Gold (The Colours of Madeleine, #3)
  • The Carnival at Bray
  • The Boy in the Black Suit
  • Out of Darkness
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • The Passion of Dolssa
  • Infandous
  • X
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Black Helicopters
  • Speak
  • Glory O'Brien's History of the Future
Raised in the wilds of suburban New Jersey, Laura Ruby now lives in Chicago with her family. Her short fiction for adults has appeared in various literary magazines, including Other Voices, The Florida Review, Sycamore Review and Nimrod. A collection of these stories, I'M NOT JULIA ROBERTS, was published by Warner Books in January 2007. Called "hilarious and heart-wrenching" by People and "a knowi ...more
“People look, they don't see.” 70 likes
“Funny how you notice how beautiful things are just when you're about to leave them.” 58 likes