Start by marking “Thanmir War (Niniers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thanmir War (Niniers, #1)

Thanmir War (Niniers, #1)

The Earth Clan has declared war and a landscaper is at the dead center of it.

Derek thinks his chronic headaches are the worst of his problems.

He's wrong.

He wakes up in the middle of an unknown forest, surrounded by a couple dozen dead men he has no memory of killing. His only way back to society as he knows it is MaTisha, an amnesic woman with the power to tr
ebook, Second Edition
Published December 2013 by Stoneword Press

To ask other readers questions about Thanmir War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanmir War

Start your review of Thanmir War (Niniers, #1)
Angela
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean-read, fantasy
I feel beat up after reading this! Or, maybe I just feel Derek's pain. Never have I read a character more tortured, to the point where I thought, thank goodness, this poor soul finally gets to die, then he doesn't. LOL!

Needless to say, this is an epic rollercoaster ride!

Full review:

THANMIR WARS, the epic world-hopping fantasy drama by Loni Townsend, is an addictive page-turner filled with shocking twists. The multilayered characters and intricate detailing of the world a
Melissa Maygrove
I don't usually read epic fantasy, and it took me some time to get a good feel for the cast of characters and their world. But I'm glad I stuck with it.

Townsend obviously has a vivid imagination. She's able to weave a complex story and convey the details of it in an enjoyable and often-thrilling manner. The groundwork she laid was necessary, and it was appreciated more and more as the story progressed. By the time the conflict reached its peak, I was glued to the page.

The characters
Empath Warrior
I began the book and was almost immediately sucked right in. It took some time to understand the terms and titles, but HINT: there is a glossary of types in the back of the book for your help. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I really hope Loni Townsend publishes the next installment soon. I'm already craving more!! The author does a such great job of describing the characters and the scenes, that you will have favorites almost immediately. The author uses such astounding creativity and imagination. ...more
Priya Kanaparti
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loni is a brilliant writer! Her words flow like magic and the characters were multidimensional. The biggest thing that kept me turning the pages is how easy it was to follow the story. I've never been much of a fantasy reader, but with this book, I'm might be a turned fantasy reader.

An added bonus to this book is the action scenes. Loni does an excellent job of choreography of those scenes.

Overall, I highly recommend this book.
Christy Hovey
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book got me back into reading fantasy. It was well-written and the complexities and details were astounding. I usually polish off a book in a day or two but I savored this one and allowed it to marinate over time. I recommend this amazing author to anyone who loves epic fantasy!
Chrys Fey
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanmir War takes place in a world divided among territories and clans for air, water, fire, earth, and void. There are Thanmirs, elementals, guardians, jespers, upholders, and of course humans.

Derek is an interesting character. He's a landscaper with a coffee addiction. He gets chronic headaches, has a strange scar on his back that he's had his whole life, and he's a virgin because a "curse" won't let him be intimate. When he tries, fires break out and other dangerous things happen
M.J. Fifield
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read, I tend to make guesses about where the story might be headed, and usually I'm right about those predictions. But every single one I made for this story turned out to be...not right. Well, one was kind of right—at the very least, it was not entirely incorrect. So, yay me. And YAY Townsend for creating a story that kept me guessing.

I'm curious to know what might be in store for these characters.
Stacy
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's an amazing introduction to a new world filled with unexpected twists and turns. I can't wait for the follow up. I've recommended to everyone I know.
Liza
I won this book in a good reads giveaway. I also give this book a 3.5.

*sigh* oh Thanmir War. You had such promise for me and yet falls short at the end that leaves a bad, bitter after taste in my mouth.

Or maybe it is not the book's fault at all. Maybe it was because I was playing Project Diva with a friend and the interruptions every couple of minutes disrupted the flow of the story for me. Somehow I don't think so since I'm usually really good at this sort of thing...

I won this book in a good reads giveaway. I also give this book a 3.5.

But anyway! I'm done with my ramblings. Time to talk about the book itself!

First thing I need to say, this book has a TON of characters. Not as many as Game of Thrones but enough that a glossary to help keep track of everyone would be greatly appreciated especially since I took a small break while reading it and I could not remember who some of the people were! The book could also use a larger glossary to help with terms. I went to the back of the book a few times when I stumbled upon an unknown word and 70% of the time, the word I was trying to figure out the meaning of was not there.

Now, turning to the story itself. Stepping back and looking at the story, it was enjoyable. At first it appears to be your typical guy gets transported into alternate world where lots of magical things happen but it quickly evolves into something more than that. However, what I think it evolved into is what deterred my enjoyment of the book. The second half also seemed very convoluted(and I'm not sure if it is because I kept stopping and picking up the book again). I felt like things were happening at a way too fast pace with plot points being dragged in very late in the game which made the story feel like it was pulling things out of nowhere. Full explanation within spoiler tag: (view spoiler)

Onto my next point! The characters. Like I said before, this is one of those book with many, many characters. And I have to say, I liked most of them. Everyone had a purpose and you could sense stories behind what every character does even if it isn't explicitly stated.

However(there is always a however with me isn't there? XD) I do have some issues with Derek. These issues however are directly intertwined with the plot itself so from here on out it is spoiler tags again! (view spoiler)

So overall this book was great until the half-way point where the story went in a bad direction for me. It is a fun read and I like the character development but the story could use a bit more work.

Christine Rains
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Derek has always been the nice guy, except sometimes, there are things he can't remember. And they're not so nice. He is thrust into a strange world with no memory of how he got there. MaTisha doesn't remember anything either except that Derek saved her by killing several men. They're caught in the middle of a war neither know about. All Derek wants to do is go home, but the other part of him has a different mission. One that might be the death of them all.

A great start to this epic
Dan
I can't do it. No matter how many times I have tried to pick this book up and read it I cannot. I get about a paragraph read and then my mind is someplace else. I have a very wide and varied interest in many things, but this book defied even my ability to read the most mundane engineering texts with ease. For the past year this book has sat on my chair, and for the past year I would pick it up and open it. I made it a quarter of the way through and decided that I cannot do it. I cannot read this ...more
Catherine Valenti
Luisa Gonzalez
Lauren
Melody
Loni Townsend
Wife. Mother. Writer. Ninja. Squirrel.

By day, she writes code. By predawn darkness, she writes fantasies. All other times, she writes in her head.

People call her peculiar with a twisted sense of fashion, but don't let those understatements fool you. Her behavior is perfectly normal for a squirrel disguised as a human. That's part of being an epic ninja—-b