Jump to ratings and reviews

Thanmir War

The Earth Clan has declared war and a landscaper is at the dead center of it.

Derek thinks his chronic headaches are the worst of his problems.

He's wrong.

He wakes up in the middle of an unknown forest, surrounded by a couple dozen dead men he has no memory of killing. His only way back to society as he knows it is MaTisha, an amnesic woman with the power to transcend world boundaries.

But going home isn't as easy as he had hoped, not when MaTisha is sought by two opposing armies prepared to do anything to keep her from the other side.

Derek finds himself caught in the center, mixed up with mercenaries and guardians. And now, he's been possessed by a murderous alter ego with a personal mission to keep MaTisha safe. He wants nothing more to return to the life and family he loves.

But his alter ego has other plans.

ebook

First published December 3, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Loni Townsend

7 books24 followers
Loni Townsend
Wife. Mother. Writer. Ninja. Squirrel.

By day, she writes code. By predawn darkness, she writes fantasies. All other times, she writes in her head.

People call her peculiar with a twisted sense of fashion, but don't let those understatements fool you. Her behavior is perfectly normal for a squirrel disguised as a human. That's part of being an epic ninja—-blending in.

She makes her home in Idaho with her sadistically clever—-yet often thwarted-—husband, two frighteningly brilliant children, and three sneaky little shibas.

Thanmir War is her debut novel.

Contact info:
Blog — http://www.lonitownsend.com
Facebook — http://www.facebook.com/squirreltalk
Twitter — https://www.twitter.com/LoniTownsend
Google+ — http://www.google.com/+LoniTownsend

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (5%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews
Profile Image for Angela.
460 reviews10 followers
September 23, 2014
I feel beat up after reading this! Or, maybe I just feel Derek's pain. Never have I read a character more tortured, to the point where I thought, thank goodness, this poor soul finally gets to die, then he doesn't. LOL!

Needless to say, this is an epic rollercoaster ride!

Full review:

THANMIR WARS, the epic world-hopping fantasy drama by Loni Townsend, is an addictive page-turner filled with shocking twists. The multilayered characters and intricate detailing of the world and the people in it make this a gripping read.

The novel follows Derek a landscaper from Earth that finds himself in the middle of a war in a universe he didn't even know existed. He finds himself caught in the middle of several dangerous schemes and power plays, manipulated by an alter ego and pretty much everyone he meets.

There is lots of action, tempered with humor and relationships I found myself rooting for.
The characters are intriguing, the story intricate, the plot fast-paced and yet mind-blowing nuanced.

Fantastic characters, tight writing, really interesting twists make this a must buy from this debut author.
Profile Image for Melissa Maygrove.
Author 8 books23 followers
April 6, 2014
I don't usually read epic fantasy, and it took me some time to get a good feel for the cast of characters and their world. But I'm glad I stuck with it.

Townsend obviously has a vivid imagination. She's able to weave a complex story and convey the details of it in an enjoyable and often-thrilling manner. The groundwork she laid was necessary, and it was appreciated more and more as the story progressed. By the time the conflict reached its peak, I was glued to the page.

The characters in Thanmir War are distinct, varied, multidimensional, and well drawn; and Townsend often interjects humor into their interactions to balance the gritty seriousness of the story. There are romantic elements, but Townsend either closed the door on the sex or kept the camera pulled back.

I'm glad I read this book. I look forward to the next installment in the series.
Profile Image for Empath Warrior.
180 reviews18 followers
January 31, 2014
I began the book and was almost immediately sucked right in. It took some time to understand the terms and titles, but HINT: there is a glossary of types in the back of the book for your help. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. I really hope Loni Townsend publishes the next installment soon. I'm already craving more!! The author does a such great job of describing the characters and the scenes, that you will have favorites almost immediately. The author uses such astounding creativity and imagination. I love the storyline and how we can watch the characters grow and learn. I would compare this story to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series... it's exceptional. I definitely recommend this book to any reader who enjoys fantasy and other worlds. This book is for you.
Author 3 books130 followers
March 28, 2014
Loni is a brilliant writer! Her words flow like magic and the characters were multidimensional. The biggest thing that kept me turning the pages is how easy it was to follow the story. I've never been much of a fantasy reader, but with this book, I'm might be a turned fantasy reader.

An added bonus to this book is the action scenes. Loni does an excellent job of choreography of those scenes.

Overall, I highly recommend this book.
Profile Image for Christy Hovey.
Author 1 book14 followers
February 15, 2014
This book got me back into reading fantasy. It was well-written and the complexities and details were astounding. I usually polish off a book in a day or two but I savored this one and allowed it to marinate over time. I recommend this amazing author to anyone who loves epic fantasy!
Profile Image for Chrys Fey.
Author 20 books334 followers
February 5, 2016
Thanmir War takes place in a world divided among territories and clans for air, water, fire, earth, and void. There are Thanmirs, elementals, guardians, jespers, upholders, and of course humans.

Derek is an interesting character. He's a landscaper with a coffee addiction. He gets chronic headaches, has a strange scar on his back that he's had his whole life, and he's a virgin because a "curse" won't let him be intimate. When he tries, fires break out and other dangerous things happen to stop him. He becomes even more interesting when he wakes up in Chikara (the other world) surrounded by dead men with a woman he doesn't know-Matisha.

Matisha was on her way to meet Aito, the leader of the Earth clan, when something happened that resulted in dead soldiers, her powers being sealed, and Derek arriving into her world. From there the story takes off and becomes even better when we find out Derek is "possessed" by another. When this "other" takes over, his eyes turn red and black markings cover his skin. I had to say that he sounded quite hot when he changed like this. *wink*

I enjoyed all of the other characters as well: Jake, a tall silver-haired man with a love of weapons and fighting; Cameron, a commander leading thousands; Naomi, a sexy battle guardian; and even Zinnia, a snake with a real personality.

Loni Townsend does a wonderful job crafting a sweeping story with many characters and interweaving story lines. And her descriptions are captivating. She describes plant life that comes to life to lash out when Aito, the Earth clan leader, is enraged. As well as the wind as it picks up when Harim, the Wind clan leader, becomes angry.

One thing I wished was that some events to be fully written out like a battle we learn about second-hand, an intimate brainwashing, and a few other moments that I think would've been entertaining to read. And it did become confusing and a little too much when another entity seemed to possess Derek. There were too many transformations, identities, and seals when it came to Derek. I often asked, "What happened to the original Derek? Will he come back?"

But the climax was amazing. I had no idea what to expect. Loni Townsend surprised me several times and made me happy. Everything from the first page comes together beautifully at the end.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I couldn't stop myself from skipping ahead to the next chapter to peek at what would happen next. I only do that if I'm excited about the story and it doesn't happen all the time.

Five stars! Highly recommended to anyone who loves any form of fantasy.
Profile Image for M.J. Fifield.
Author 6 books13 followers
October 3, 2014
When I read, I tend to make guesses about where the story might be headed, and usually I'm right about those predictions. But every single one I made for this story turned out to be...not right. Well, one was kind of right—at the very least, it was not entirely incorrect. So, yay me. And YAY Townsend for creating a story that kept me guessing.

I'm curious to know what might be in store for these characters.
Profile Image for Stacy.
1 review
October 12, 2014
It's an amazing introduction to a new world filled with unexpected twists and turns. I can't wait for the follow up. I've recommended to everyone I know.
Profile Image for Liza.
607 reviews52 followers
April 23, 2015
I won this book in a good reads giveaway. I also give this book a 3.5.

*sigh* oh Thanmir War. You had such promise for me and yet falls short at the end that leaves a bad, bitter after taste in my mouth.

Or maybe it is not the book's fault at all. Maybe it was because I was playing Project Diva with a friend and the interruptions every couple of minutes disrupted the flow of the story for me. Somehow I don't think so since I'm usually really good at this sort of thing...

But anyway! I'm done with my ramblings. Time to talk about the book itself!

First thing I need to say, this book has a TON of characters. Not as many as Game of Thrones but enough that a glossary to help keep track of everyone would be greatly appreciated especially since I took a small break while reading it and I could not remember who some of the people were! The book could also use a larger glossary to help with terms. I went to the back of the book a few times when I stumbled upon an unknown word and 70% of the time, the word I was trying to figure out the meaning of was not there.

Now, turning to the story itself. Stepping back and looking at the story, it was enjoyable. At first it appears to be your typical guy gets transported into alternate world where lots of magical things happen but it quickly evolves into something more than that. However, what I think it evolved into is what deterred my enjoyment of the book. The second half also seemed very convoluted(and I'm not sure if it is because I kept stopping and picking up the book again). I felt like things were happening at a way too fast pace with plot points being dragged in very late in the game which made the story feel like it was pulling things out of nowhere. Full explanation within spoiler tag:

Onto my next point! The characters. Like I said before, this is one of those book with many, many characters. And I have to say, I liked most of them. Everyone had a purpose and you could sense stories behind what every character does even if it isn't explicitly stated.

However(there is always a however with me isn't there? XD) I do have some issues with Derek. These issues however are directly intertwined with the plot itself so from here on out it is spoiler tags again!

So overall this book was great until the half-way point where the story went in a bad direction for me. It is a fun read and I like the character development but the story could use a bit more work.

Profile Image for Christine Rains.
Author 59 books236 followers
July 31, 2015
Derek has always been the nice guy, except sometimes, there are things he can't remember. And they're not so nice. He is thrust into a strange world with no memory of how he got there. MaTisha doesn't remember anything either except that Derek saved her by killing several men. They're caught in the middle of a war neither know about. All Derek wants to do is go home, but the other part of him has a different mission. One that might be the death of them all.

A great start to this epic fantasy series. It was a lot to take in at first with so many characters and places. Yet the mystery of Derek nabbed me, and as the many layers started to peel away, I became more fascinated. The cast of characters is huge, but that does not mean there is a lack of depth in them. I really liked Jack and the Kades.

What was most impressive about this novel was the worldbuilding and how everything wove together. It has a rich history and a magical land. I wondered how not only the different worlds and parts would fit together, but the plots and sub-plots. Yet they linked to form a strong story chain, and I will definitely be picking up the next novel in this series.
60 reviews4 followers
Read
February 16, 2015
I can't do it. No matter how many times I have tried to pick this book up and read it I cannot. I get about a paragraph read and then my mind is someplace else. I have a very wide and varied interest in many things, but this book defied even my ability to read the most mundane engineering texts with ease. For the past year this book has sat on my chair, and for the past year I would pick it up and open it. I made it a quarter of the way through and decided that I cannot do it. I cannot read this book. Sadly I cannot tell you a single thing about it although I hope you have better luck in reading it than I did.
Displaying 1 - 11 of 11 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.