Start by marking “Skeletons” as Want to Read:
Skeletons

Skeletons

All Jen had ever wanted was a big, happy family. And when she married Jason and became part of the Masterson clan that's exactly what she got. For years everything was perfect. But then Jen sees something that she was never meant to see; unearths a secret she was never supposed to discover. If she tells, then her idyllic life might be over. But can she really keep it to he ...more
Published March 27th 2014 by Penguin Books (first published March 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Skeletons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeletons

Zarina
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted to my blog:

Whenever I talk to people who don't often read the genre many define as "chick-lit" there's one author that stands out from the crowd and that's Jane Fallon. Even the most crime-obsessed amongst my friends has read at least one of her books and when I mention I like women's fiction she comes highly recommended. So when I had the opportunity to read her new novel early my interest was instantly piqued as I was keen to dis
Bookread2day
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reason I wanted to read Skeletons by Jane Fallon is because I am have read and enjoyed reading Foursome by Jane Fallon.

I have always wanted to read her other books Getting Rid Of Matthew, Got You Back, and The Ugly Sister, but I have not round to buying them,.

I loved reading Skeletons from start to finish because Jane Fallon is so good at making a story full of situations that you can believe in. Jane knows how to keeps the reader wondering what is going to happen next.

Jane makes all her
Cleo Bannister
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is nothing I enjoy more than a book about secrets, especially those that are meant to stay a secret. Jen had grown up in a claustrophobic relationship with just her mother, so when she met Jason, his parents and his two sisters she falls in love with this lively family, perhaps as much as she did him.

Years later soon after the second of their two daughters, Emily leaves home for university Jen sees something across a street that she wishes she hadn’t. Jen has no-one to share what she has s
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

British author Jane Fallon's fifth novel, Skeletons, exposes the myth of a happy family by revealing the explosive secrets and lies they keep from one another.

After Jen Masterson covertly observes an intimate argument between her father-in-law, Charles, and a young woman outside of his office, she becomes convinced he is having an affair. Jen would rather pretend she saw nothing at all but horrified at the threat to the happy family she adores, she decides to confront the stranger, completely un
Jill Dickinson
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not a fan of chick lit, but needed a second book in a "buy one get one half price" deal and grabbed this one in a hurry. Despite a very predictable storyline (you can see each twist coming a mile off) and some cringeworthy attempts at humour in the prose, this novel is saved by the fact that the plot is fairly interesting and the characters well drawn. I cared enough about the central character, Jen, to want to read to the end. A good beach book, I'd say, but not memorable.
Shirley Revill
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, owned-books
Not the best book by Jane Fallon that I have read but not too bad a read.
It was good enough for me to want to finish the book but would not want to read for a second time.
Enjoyable but predictable.
Bree T
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, family-saga
Jen has been married to her husband Jason for over twenty years and they’ve just seen off the second of their two daughters to university, leaving her with a bit of an empty nest syndrome. As a family unit they worked but Jen finds that with her and Jason on their own, life isn’t exactly as she expected it would be. She feels a bit empty, lost without anyone to look after and she and Jason don’t really seem to be connecting. The bright spots are visiting Jason’s parents at their large country ho ...more
Helena Wildsmith
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was another lovely, quick easy read by Jane Fallon. An unrealistic story but a good one, nonetheless. Fallon is very good at creating plot twists and this one presented with quite a few.
Jessica
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Loved it!! Couldn't put it down!!
Dawn
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lovers of contemporary womens fiction
Recommended to Dawn by: Penguin
I recently won a signed copy of Getting Rid of Matthew in a competition on twitter. What nostalgia, it brought back happy memories. I just love all her books — she has the fantastic ability to bring to life, ‘real life!' It’s a little like voyeurism looking into the lives of people who could, very easily be my own family or friends.

When I heard she was bringing out her fifth book Skeletons in March of this year I literally couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. I was on the list for a proof copy t
Claire
A promising blurb and opening chapter and then it turned to blurrrgh.

I found nearly all of the characters unsympathetic and really struggled with the lead's decision to meddle. Flicked to the end and found I still didn't care.

Not for me.
Liz
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What may seem perfect on the outside and appealing has it's flaws which then make it unacceptable
Was a good read
Sandra de koning-vd pol
Geweldig geschreven in een blijvend verassend.
Anji Armstrong
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought it was hard to get in to. But was a light summer read. Another story where the main character over reacts to something and drags it on a bit.
Dana
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hit by Jane Fallon!!!!!! " Skeletons" started a bit more slowly than all the other novels of hers which I have devoured, but it was also more serious in tone and scope, though still filled with Fallon's signature humor. Fallon reinforced my constant belief that things are never all that they seem, and even the most apparently perfect families and unions are never quite all that. In this novel, a main character (Jen) discovers something about her father in law that might devastate the big ...more
Christina Rochester
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you discovered a secret? Not a small one, but a big one that threatens to tear your entire family apart? Would you tell? Or would you keep it to yourself in the hopes it’ll go away? That’s the choice Jen Masterson has to make when she sees her father in law one afternoon. And what she learns will shatter her world, because once those skeletons come out of the closet there’s no putting them back inside.

I’ve read a few Jane Fallon books before, namely The Ugly Sister and Fours
Den
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, chick-lit
Jen has everything she ever wished for when she meets Jason - he is the perfect husband and he has a loyal, loving family behind him - everything a girl abandoned by her father has dreamt off. Twenty so years later their girls have left the next and are at uni. Then Jen discovers a secret about her father-in-law - a secret so big it could break up the loving family. As more and more pressure is asserted upon her, she is trying her hardest to hold it all together but the cracks are beginning to t ...more
Sarah McIndo
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
I normally really enjoy Jane Fallon’s books but this one just didn’t sit right. I guessed the plot early on, I thought the characters choices in dealing with the situations were extreme, the main character Jen irritated me and I just wanted to finish the book out of the way half way through. I felt like a lot of detail on each character was missing a little. Like I’d missed their thought process as to why they were behaving the way they did. Overall not my favourite Jane Fallon book. Sorry.
Rachael Popplewell
Jun 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really enjoy Jane Fallon's books because they are full of character, personality and humour, which is exactly what this book lacks.
Jen is not likeable or unlikeable, she's just dull. Nothing really happens in the book much considering the premise, which seemed like it could be really interesting. The book just doesn't really go anywhere fast, it's just a waste of time really.
sheila lawler
Easy reading.... a book with an interesting story line.

The characters are recognizable to everyday life,which adds an interest to the read. A book which is easy to put down and return to without losing the plot.
Mel Edwards
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the book and finding out the secrets of Jen’s family. Jason’s family annoyed me quite a bit as did Cass and her whole attitude throughout the story but perhaps that’s just the headspace I was in while reading it. It’s still a great read none the less!
Jo
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Generally annoying! I found the storyline petty and the lead character generally wet with no oomf about her and no balls!
If this had been the first book by Jane Fallon that I had read I doubt I would bother with any more...
Pauline Chamberlain
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
A good chick lit book about a woman who finds out a secret about a member of her husbands family and torn as to what to do with the information.
Emma
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
OK
Brandie
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: drama
I like how uncomfortable Jane Fallon's book make me feel.
Natalie Cole
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow start but keep reading as it gets better
Tonya
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of Jane Fallon’s better novels. Why does she ALWAYS write about infidelity?
Wendy houghton
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book,as i did her other one recommend this x
Brogan Sommerville
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-hearted
Not Jane's best work, very slow plot and a bit predictable.
Colin
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
great read, not what i was expecting at all.
  • Blackout
  • Women on the Edge of a Nervous Breakthrough
  • The Lies You Told Me
  • Someone Else's Wedding
  • A Week in Paris
  • The Daughter's Secret
  • What You Left Behind (DCI Lorraine Fisher #2)
  • A Parcel for Anna Browne
  • Taking Hollywood
  • The Key to It All
  • Your Beautiful Lies
  • The Good Kind of Bad
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • Written in the Scars (The Estate #4)
  • Don't Stand So Close
  • After I Left You
  • Men I've Loved Before
  • My Favourite Goodbye
Jane Fallon is an English producer and novelist, most famous for her work on popular series Teachers, 20 Things To Do Before You're 30, Eastenders and This Life. She has also written two successful novels.

Fallon has been in a relationship with popular comedian Ricky Gervais since 1982, after they met while studying together at the University College London. The couple has lived together since 1984