Start by marking “Wickedly Magical (Baba Yaga, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Wickedly Magical (Baba Yaga, #0.5)

Wickedly Magical

(Baba Yaga #0.5)

Known as the wicked witch of Russian fairy tales, Baba Yaga is not one woman, but rather a title carried by a chosen few. They keep the balance of nature and guard the borders of our world, but don’t make the mistake of crossing one…

Barbara Yager loves being one of the most powerful witches in the world, but sometimes she’d rather kick back in her enchanted Airstream with
Published August 5th 2014 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Wickedly Magical, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wickedly Magical

Start your review of Wickedly Magical (Baba Yaga, #0.5)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I'm so very tired of getting excited about new UF series that have interesting blurbs and covers, only to get my hands on the actual book and have that hope destroyed.

It's a mean trick.

description

It makes me angry.

description

"What was so terrible about this one?" you ask.

Well . . . for starters:

"Hmm," she said. "'Curiouser and curiouser,' to quote Alice."
Chudo-Yudo looked up from gnawing on the remains of his bone. There wasn't much left. "What?"
"It's a quote from Alice in Wonderland,"
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wickedly Magical is a prequel novella for Deborah Blake's Baba Yaga series, and it does a good job of introducing readers to the world and whetting our appetites for the rest of the series. The author has put her own spin on the tale of the wicked witch Baba Yaga that many people have heard of from Russian fairytales. In this series Baba Yaga is not just the name of one witch, instead it's a title held by a group of powerful witches spread across the world, these women keep the balance and ...more
Maria V. Snyder
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fun novella set before the events in the first Baba Yaga book.
Mandy
Barbara is a Russian fairy tale witch who guards the borders and keeps the balance of nature. When a Russian man shows up on her doorsteps with a token from the prior Baba Yaga she knows she needs to honor the favor. The man’s wife ran off with his children joining a cult run by a man who can influence people in a magical way. Barbara sets off to honor the token and bring the man back his children as well as take care of the man with the power.
I like Barbara she lives with a dragon who takes
Linda
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Highly Recommended To Anyone Who Enjoys Witchy Urban Fantasy Reads!

"Who says wicked can't be good?"

WICKEDLY MAGICAL by Deborah Blake is a quick, fun introduction into the author's incredible world of Baba Yagas. I was recently at the Coastal Magic Convention where I was fortunate to catch this author on several panels. Her description of this series caught my interest so as soon as I got home, I picked up this prequel at Amazon to check it out. I'm happy to report that I was captivated and
Melindeeloo
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.The world of this prequel to Blake's new Baba Yaga series is very original. This is not my Russian grandmother's Baba Yaga and her chicken-legged house and these Baba's are evil or not depending on the point of view of those who cross paths with them. As the start of a trilogy of paranormal romances for the three Baba's who guard the U.S., this story mostly sets up the players and the world and gives glimpses of how the Baba's have changed with the times while the first of the three ...more
Judith Levine
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the concept. Leave it to Deborah Blake to come up with the idea of bringing a folk witch into the 21st Century with an Airstream and 21st Century manners (or lack thereof) and language. I love the smart-mouth dragon/dog, the things growing out of the carpet, and the Airstream's quirkiness--its special wardrobe and the appearing and disappearing door. Blake's light touch is similar to that of her nonfiction witch books, but, of course, much funnier. I loved the way she introduced the ...more
Rhonda Stees-marcial
First, I liked it. But the writing didn't have that special something that drives you to see the end. I felt like I knew the ending at the beginning. Also a lot of cliches that had me rolling my eyes.
But I will give the next one a chance. The premise of the Baba Yagas was a fun way to think of the old stories. Plus I am a sucker for stories about witches.
Fangs for the Fantasy
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Barbara Yager is one of three Baba Yagas living in the United States. Having been a baba yaga for so long, Barbara no longer considers herself to be human. When not fulfilling her duties, Barbara lives with Chudo-Yudo a dragon who has become a dog, to make himself more palatable to the human population.

Ivan has been stalking Barbara for three days, trying to work up the courage to speak to her but tired of waiting, Barbara takes the bull by the horns and approaches him. It seems that the Baba
Yolanda Sfetsos
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, kindle
I started this prequel novella yesterday and finished it this morning. It was so much fun!

Barbara Yager is one of three Baba Yaga witches living in the United States. She lives in her enchanted Airstream with her pit bull, Chudo-Yudo--who is actually a dragon in disguise. She's a travelling botanist and college professor in the human world. She also helps keep the balance of nature, guards the borders between the human world and the Otherworld, while helping those worthy enough to seek her out.

Toni
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wickedly Magical (novella) is the first installment in Deborah Blake’s new Baba Yaga series. The short novella deftly introduces us to the three Baba Yaga that will comprise the new trilogy, while also providing a glimpse into their world, lifestyle, and magical abilities. The plot is easily resolved, but satisfying. If you are interested in the Baba Yaga legend this is a great place to start. If you are eagerly awaiting the new books, this will tide you over until the first one releases.
Sara
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good quick read

This book was fun and endearing. I like the characters but some of the usual tropes are present. I like the world/magic rules that the author is building and I'm excited to read more. I gave it four instead of five stars mainly because it's missing some character development which admittedly is difficult in a prequel novella. Will wait to see how the next one does, I have high hopes.
Helen Smith
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Next book can't wait to go.

As always have found the most important thing in my life is a good time with you guys.I am ready for the next step an the next one in your book. Thank you very much.
Debrac2014
Jan 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Short, fun read! Just what I needed. Baba Yaga saves the day!
Rosemary
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series.
Kelley Kaminski
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great

It was good I mean even better than the first I really liked this one now I'm going to read the next right now
Sylvia Bruggen
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
I’m still on the fence about this version of Baba Yaga, anti-social and attractive is okay, but she’s almost too anti-social for me. However, Barbara has intelligence and snark I could appreciate in the right mood. This is a novella, but it felt unfinished. Example-Ivan felt like an afterthought; need a parent and a purpose, insert here, but I did like the rescue of his daughters, seeing Barbara in action, and learning more about the other two Baba Yagas, Beka and Bella. I did like the ...more
Marianne
Wickedly Magical was okay; I liked the concept, but found the execution so-so. I think Ivan's story had potential, and I would have liked more of a focus on him rather than an introduction to Barbara and her world. Yes, I know the series will be about her and her fellow Babas, but the exposition felt forced. I will say that making the villains less villainous than anticipated (but still a terrible person who made terrible choices) was an interesting touch.
Diane ~Firefly~
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great intro to a new series. There are 3 Baba Yaga's in the US and Barbara must help Ivan who comes to her with a favor owed his grandmother. He wants to get his daughters back and Barbara and her dragon (disguised as a dog) declare the cause worthy to help. We also meet the other two Baba's and I would guess the series will bounce between them.
Anna Wick
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I read this after I already read the rest of the series, but it's still fun that's great story. There's some complaints in the reviews about this character not being true to the myth. I'm fine with it I don't think that meth is so solid and everybody's imagination
Teri
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick read

And now I want more. I am very interested in seeing what happens in the lives of the baba yaga's. I may have just found my next series to read. So far I like them and their personalities.
Christine
This feels like a teaser trailer rather than a real book.

I like the characters but the first challenge was just a bit too easy to overcome. Will try the next book and cross my fingers that the series gets better.
Levia
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
read this after reading the first two books in the series. I'm happy to say if I'd read this first I would still love the series and want to read more.
Casey
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alex Latham
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book 65 complete.
Ianrh
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lightweight but entertaining and well worth reading
Mary Beth
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short but sweet!
Allison
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh, this is going to be a fun ride if the prequel is any indication!
Mischa
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Interesting start to a series, I'm excited about the full-length books
« previous 1 3 next »

• Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Mystery #11)
  • A Witch Before Dying (A Wishcraft Mystery, #2)
  • The Alpha's Daughter (The Wolvers, #3)
  • Grave Visions (Alex Craft, #4)
  • The Goodbye Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Kicking It
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
  • Magic on the Hunt (Allie Beckstrom, #6)
  • Peachy Flippin' Keen (Southern Eclectic, #1.5)
  • A Few Pecans Short of a Pie (Southern Eclectic #2.5)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Gerard Demille and Helen Meet
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
Deborah is the author of twelve non-fiction books on modern witchcraft and a tarot and oracle decks from Llewellyn and the Baba Yaga series, The Broken Rider series, and the Veiled Magic series (mostly from Berkley) as well as a few stand-alone novels.

Deborah lives in a 130 year old farmhouse in upstate NY with multiole cats, and runs an artists' cooperative shop when she's not writing. She

Baba Yaga (4 books)
  • Wickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga, #1)
  • Wickedly Wonderful (Baba Yaga, #2)
  • Wickedly Powerful (Baba Yaga, #3)
  • Wickedly Unraveled (Baba Yaga #4)
“When you tell the children tales of the Baba Yaga on a cold winter’s night, you might remember to mention that whether or not the witch is wicked often depends on who is telling the story.” 7 likes
“Who says wicked can’t be good ?” 6 likes