Start by marking “The Science of Being Great: The Practical Guide to a Life of Power” as Want to Read:
The Science of Being Great: The Practical Guide to a Life of Power

The Science of Being Great: The Practical Guide to a Life of Power

Joining the ranks of Tarcher's runaway editions of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, Public Speaking for Success by Dale Carnegie, and The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D. Wattles, here are three landmark guides to a life of prosperity-now restored to print in beautiful, signature volumes.

- Newly discovered by fans of The Secret, the metaphysical writer Wallace D.
Published September 1st 2008 by Tarcherperigee (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Being Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Being Great

Start your review of The Science of Being Great: The Practical Guide to a Life of Power
Heidi The Reader
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
In the latest installment of "Heidi re-listens to all the old audiobooks on her hard drive", I gave The Science of Being Great another chance to share its wisdom with me.

Couched in religious language, Wallace Wattles shares his new age viewpoint long before modern audiences became enamored of it with the mammoth success of The Secret. In fact, that's how the publisher marketed this older manuscript, as source material for The Secret.

I suppose it could be considered "source material" in that Watt
Amir Tesla
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: success
All but science :))

This book focuses intensely on leaving ourselves to god and absorb the mind of the lord ... :|
I couldn't relate almost any of the stuff to science.

There were a couple of nice insights, though, for example, the author argues that everything and everyone we see, are in their perfect state, striving for getting better and better, and that's how the universe has been working. For instance, he says that we cannot say locomotives fueled with coal are bad, no, they were great in the
Annie
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Toward the beginning it's very... philo, so you really have to focusfocus when you read, but then it gets more easily digestible and freaking AMAZINGLY inspiring. This book is going to be my constant companion. If everyone read this book, and practiced this book, there would be world peace. I'm just saying. ...more
Kate
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the most amazing books I've read!

This book was written over 100 years ago and became an inspiration for many of the current world-famous coaches and transformational gurus like Tony Robbins, Napoleon Hill, the creator of "The Secret" movie and many others.

The author gives examples of people who managed to become more than their circumstances and transform not only themselves, but also the communities in which they lived.
The book is full of wisdom. It is concise and summarizes everything i
Nadin Adel
An old classic self-development book enhancing being great despite of your wealth and/or your physical abilities.

The writer relates greatness to God and his attributes, which, in some sense, is correct. Kindly watch this video to understand my point of view. In this video, Jeffrey Lang, a mathematician, shows how he answered one of the most controversial questions, and how he relates it to Allah's attributes.

Jeffrey Lang Video

Although the writer's objective seems thoughtful and quite appealing.
Angie
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it
As I traveled thru the beautiful Oregon country this week I enjoyed this audio CD from the library.

I was able to take many things from this book and hope to apply them in my own life.

The two most important:

1. The world is a perfect place.

2. ALL people are good with different struggles.

Great book!
Tony Rogers  Jr.
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Theres so much wisdom packed In this little book. Excellent read.
Marcey Rader
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ok. It's official. I love Wallace D. Wattles. He is now on my list of dead people I would like to come back and have over for dinner. "You are to become a creator, not a competitor; you are going to get what you want, but in such a way that when you get it every other man will have more than he has now." "You have no right to use your willpower upon another person, even for his own good, for you do not know what is for his good." How can you not like a guy that says the very best thing you can d ...more
Ali Alsawad
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I liked this book and i was blessed to read it beginning of 2021. sad that it was audible but definetly would read it again as it have alot of great thoughts to reflect on.

irony it was written 50 plus years ago but lessons can still be applied today!

Takeaways:

1. the writer encourages you to think more and read less.
2.Start being great now in your home with the family with your friends dont wait for things to happen to be great , dont wait for promotions to be great dont wait for something in r
Anastasia mzhavia
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
A book is supposed to be scientific. Well, it's not. The author suggests that everyone is same and all human beings have the same potential. Guess what ?! We don't. The writer tells us that we can be same and we have to develop our potential so we all can be Einsteins. I suppose he has not heard about personality and individuality. And also IQ. ...more
Angel Clare
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paid-to-read
Fundamentally flawed, but contains plenty of motivational observations and incidental truths that almost kind of make it work, in the end. Wattles is a few sharp corners away from profound understanding of the world, but—almost more often than not in this outing—has the right sort of ideas, at least vaguely, this time around.
Pradyuman Singh Rajput
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
World needs Great People😁
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was written almost 100 years ago, but it still inspires today. Wattles notes that, "When awakened, man becomes a son of the Highest and all power is given to him in heaven and on earth." He notes you can become what you want to be by virtue of your thoughts.

He also explains that wisdom is the essential basis of greatness and that man can receive wisdom from God. He includes an entire chapter on a mental exercise that helps you to connect with God and thus realize your highest potential
Brandi Bates
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING...PROFOUND & LIFE ALTERING! I read this book at least twice a year.
Waseem
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
highly recommended for any Wallace D Wattles fans - I love all his work, and this was NO exception!

To Our Continued Success
Waseem Mirza
Anne
I enjoyed this book a lot. It's one that would make a great graduation gift. I plan to implement a lot of the Wattles' ideas, especially the mental exercise outlined in chapter 21. ...more
priscilia
Dec 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was curious what a self-help book from 1911 would read like.
1.5 stars for lolz and for causing me to briefly ask myself - "Wait, are you skeptical or cynical?"
Jonathan H. LATER
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The books starts with "Any Person May Become Great," and there lies your theme.
Running the show, it seems that we are focusing on the Law of Attraction. That is at first glance. The title becomes more complex when you figure that Wallace D. Wattles brings God into the role and compares all men to that God and having a God within each and everyone of us. Subscribing to this does NOT fit my background or upbringing, but neither am I offended by it. I love learning new things. I know that in learn
Meghan
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book. A bit old-fashioned but I love the simplicity of the ideas. There are some great explanations, quotes, guides, and examples from history for how to align your thinking to produce greatness in yourself. It's only a 2 or 3 hour listen on YouTube and I'm listening a second time now. It's definitely one I am & will keep coming back to.

I see a few comments on the lack of "science" in the book because Wattles frequently mentions God and there aren't many "studies" that I can recall. Do no
Sudha Ganti
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Wattles weaves succinctly and quite masterfully through many important aspects of living well: Having a unified positive mental outlook, building and living a stern and cohesive concept of self, knowing the difference between balanced helpfulness and harmful 'altruism' and leading a life of example. I also appreciated his balanced and positive approach to religion and metaphysics. His writings regarding religion are specific to Christianity, however the applications he derives from his religion ...more
Selim Tlili
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed listening to this on LibriVox. The argument, that we all have inherent capacity and a moral duty to grow into our own personal greatness, is incredibly positive and compelling.
The notion that life is inherently good and that badness in life is temporary and will be course corrected is very optimistic and appealing. We have a tendency to focus on the negative so it is wonderful to hear an author try and focus on the positive.
There was a bit too much religious discussion for my ta
Ok Dan
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is not one of my favourite books considering there are some information that I did not agree with, and while reading this, I began to lose interest at some parts. Despite my negative opinion, I have learnt something valuable from this book: No one is evil nor bad in the world, and that the world is perfect, and also that we need to have the correct attitude regardless of what the world is like. Lastly, this one fact left an imprint on me: "To be a God, you must act like one."

What an extrao
Samar Shaikh
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is great, it starts of slow, sounds almost dull and full of large sentences with references to god and higher power, but it picks up good, in the middle, it binds you, make you stick to the chair and read every line carefully again and again, until you memorize it. You will have a sense of confidence in yourself and your surrounding after reading it. The author tries to give a positive outlook of the world in general as it is, and give us a mental exercise to do on daily basis, but beco ...more
Lea Sanders
Jan 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This was kinda ok for me. Not life changing, not bad either.
You have to stick with it thought. The first chapters are a bit boring, philosophical and not well organised.
Some of the concepts in this book have great value. Like the impact of our thoughts on our reality, both internal and external.
The author correlates greatness with God, but considering this was written a century ago it is not surprising.
I feel he has the right sort of ideas but is still not close to profoud understanding.
Mitchell Snow
Nov 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book helped to reshape my world view in a positive light. The world and creation itself is perfect. The science of being Great untangles the misconception of greatness and allows the reader to accept the Greatness that already is. The more you focus and allow that perfection to be in your life the more it will grow and streatch into other areas.
Lorena
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2018
Although it consists of somewhat interesting suggestions and a few inspiring thoughts, I consider this title to be a quite misleading and I don't appreciate that.

Religion is not science and it shouldn't be hiding itself behind that name.
Evan
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Science of Being Great is a spiritual journey to self-actualization. It is a clear, meta-cognitive exploration into how our thoughts, visual impressions, and view of the world shape what we experience in life. This book is a giant within the self-help/personal development genre.
Zaki
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Real Education

All three books in this series ought to be taught in school (or somewhere)somewhere. I really appreciate the simplicity of how Wallace Wattles conveys his message, and recommend this book to anyone who likes to read things geared toward personal growth.
Helfren Filex
Aug 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
The world is right now. Nothing can go wrong. Be poised be calm.

The science of being great is a habit of thinking yourself a greatness before it even happens. The habitual thought makes you great because repetition of this thought makes it into conviction.
Amelia
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Wattles grants the same message all of the other greats have told since the beginning of time: set your ego aside, and people will like and respect you.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Power of Awareness: New Edition Incorporating Neville's Later Notes
  • The Neuropsychology of Self-Discipline: The Master Key to Success
  • The Strangest Secret
See top shelves…
Wallace Delois Wattles was an American author. A New Thought writer, he remains personally somewhat obscure, but his writing has been widely quoted and remains in print in the New Thought and self-help movements. Wattles' best known work is a 1910 book called The Science of Getting Rich in which he explained how to become wealthy.

He studied the writings of Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and Ralph W