Start by marking “The Looking Glass (The Looking Glass, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Looking Glass (The Looking Glass, #1)

The Looking Glass

(The Looking Glass #1)

Find the diary, break the curse, step through The Looking Glass!

Fifteen-year-old Alice Montgomery wakes up in the lobby of the B&B where she has been vacationing with her family to a startling discovery: no one can see or hear her. The cheap desk lights have been replaced with gas lamps and the linoleum floor with hardwood and rich Oriental carpeting. Someone has
Published April 15th 2014 by Month9Books, LLC.

To ask other readers questions about The Looking Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Looking Glass

Start your review of The Looking Glass (The Looking Glass, #1)
Rachel
First and foremost: Stunning cover. Seriously. GORGEOUS

The premise of the story was interesting and the execution was solid. Arnold is good writer, there is no doubt about that. But... But... I don't know, the book just didn't grab me and I found myself constantly checking the percentage on my Kindle do see if I was any closer to finishing. I think it was because the same things kept happening over and over: Alice looking through mirrors, Alice talking with the witch, Alice reading the diary,
Sandee
Jul 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was weird. It was freaky. Everything that happened was totally not what I expected it to be. This was definitely a surprise!

WRITING: 15

Full review to follow.
Kristie
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5

This was one of those books that grabbed my attention the minute I read the synopsis. Now, after reading it. I`m very happy to say that I was glad I did. It was creepy, mysterious and a thrill ride of sorts.

When you`re first introduced to Alice, the accident has already happened. So immediately you`re pulled into the mystery of what happened. This I loved! I really enjoy books that start the action right off the top so you`re not wondering or getting bored while there`s build up.

I got lost in
Jasmyn
Curses, ghosts, betrayal and love. All elements to a perfect ghostly story. Now this isn't a ghost story in the way that it's scary and frightening. It the story about a curse and a ghost and the girl and boy who try to break it. The curse was a character all its own - very literally. It came alive in a form that could walk and talk and steal little girls into its world.

Alice wakes up to find herself in a world that's familiar and strange all at once. She can see bits and pieces of the real
Heather
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

When I read the blurb to this book, I didn't really know what to expect. I liked that it dealt with mirrors and ghosts. That's what drew me in. Luckily, I found this book to be super interesting!

I do like the title of this book. It pays homage to Lewis Carroll, and even some scenes in the book do the same.

I'm not a big fan of the cover although it does have to do with the story. I would've liked to see
Melissa Cushing
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly different read for sure! I give this book 4 1/2 stars. It was so different and so beautifully written and detailed that I really could not put this story down and I felt as though I was there with Alice throughout the story. I have read LOTS of paranormal, YA genre books, but this is truly unique! Let me start with the synopsis of this beautifully written book.....

Find the diary, break the curse, step through The Looking Glass!

Fifteen-year-old Alice Montgomery wakes up in the lobby of
Kelly
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reads
I think one of the creepiest things about The Looking Glass was the way it made me feel so claustrophobic. It was similar to the way I felt when I read Stephen King's Under the Dome--trapped and a bit panicked. It was such a struggle knowing that Alice couldn't get out of the inn while she was trapped in its curse.

But the claustrophobia The Looking Glass creates is not the only creepy thing about it. The curse was also creepy, but so were two of the characters, the witch and Elizabeth Blackwell.
Maggie
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary
When I was first approached about a review of The Looking Glass, I was very intrigued. I’ve really cut back on my reviewing lately but this book really caught my interest and I had to read it.

From the very first page, the action starts. We are plunged into Alice’s life, or whatever it is after her accident, right away. As Alice must pick up bits and pieces of information as she explores and observes, so must we. I appreciate Arnold’s tactics in constructing the story this way, as it really makes
Michelle
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
**See this full review and more at http://bookbriefs.net**

The Looking Glass is a really interesting take on a re-telling. The girls name is Alice, and she ends up on the other side of a mirror, but that is about where the similarities stop. Jessica Arnold has created a completely new, creepy, intriguing and utterly fascinating world in her spooky hotel. I loved watching Alice explore it, both through the diary she finds and through running from room to room. I felt Alice's pressure the whole
Samantha
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Alice Montgomery isn't surprised when her younger brother picks a haunted hotel for their family vacation. She is surprised when she wakes up and doesn't know what's happened to her or why she can hear voices, but can't see anyone...until she looks in the mirror. Alice had hit her head while swimming in the hotel pool, but now her spirit is stuck in a strange, 19th century version of the hotel while her body is in a coma in her own time. When Alice discovers a diary by an 1880s inhabitant, the ...more
Michelle
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
I judged a book by it’s cover…there I said it, I saw this cover, then read the name and thought ” I love this” then I read the synopsis…”Find the diary, break the curse, step through The Looking Glass”…Goosebumps anyone? How could I pass this up? So very glad I didn’t.

This was such a great story, everything about it seems to flow, and I honestly can say I was never confused, the story kept my interest. I will say some point in the middle it was a little slow but that really didn’t take me out of
Suze Lavender
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alice is staying at a hotel with her family. After an accident in the pool she discovers that nobody can hear or see her. When she wakes up she's still at the hotel, but it looks completely different. It's a more old fashioned version. She finds an old diary and starts reading. Elizabeth Blackwell lived at the hotel in the 19th century. She writes about the love of her life, a witch who inhabited her room before her and a curse. Alice is a prisoner of the hotel and she has to break it before she ...more
Annie Cosby
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worked-on
This was a great book about teen Alice, who wakes up in a hotel lobby where she was staying with her family, except that nobody seems to be able to see her. I felt that this book read very differently than other popular YA books - in a good way. There were very few characters due to the nature of the story, but it was never boring. It was a very introspective, mysterious and, at times, chilling, experience.
Vee_Bookish
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Looking Glass was an addictive, dreamy read. It is listed as a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, however other than the title (and the main character's name) there is no resemblance to the original book. Marketing tactic? This tale is about Alice, who decides that diving off of a swimming board was a great idea until she bashed her head on the bottom of the pool. Now in an epic bout of insta-karma, she's stuck in a dreamlike world watching her world go by through mirrors.

Alice and Tony are a
Nicole Levesque
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
it wasn't bad, but it wasn't my favorite.

Book 78/50 (2017)
Sunny
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, mystery
Ok, I think I am done working on this review. Spent too much time already. I apologize ahead of time for the choppiness. Still working on getting better at reviewing.

A teenage girl is trapped in a house with an age-old curse and, with the help of a boy she connects with from the "real" world, she struggles to unravel the secret to breaking the curse that, if not broken, will eventually destroy her.

I borrowed this ebook from the library via the overdrive. The summary of this title had great
Dani
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it

Spectrophobia. I’ve always had a slight (irrational) fear of mirrors since one of my friends completely spooked me out with the legend of Bloody Mary in the fifth grade. There’s just something about mirrors. The reflection of life, but not quite – slightly distorted and uncannily the same. And is it merely a reflection? Or a window to another world, another reality? It all comes down to that slight niggling worry that maybe the person looking back at you in the mirror isn’t a reflection at all.

Marzena
I'm the kind of person who will pick up and read a less known book, so you won't have to. If your reading taste is anywhere close to mine, I feel entitled to say: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS BOOK. It's enough that I wasted some 4 hours of mine!

I know very well how "credible" first reviews always are, so I did take the praises with a pinch of salt. However, being naive that I am, I secretly hoped it would actually turn out as good as it sounded. Boy, was I wrong.

To start with technicals, the
Casey
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoy a good creepy book, and this one was enjoyable, but I've yet to find one in the teen genre that I didn't find somewhat problematic. Maybe I'm not reading the right ones?

The overall story of The Looking Glass is really interesting, the life-issues brought up that even the secondary characters (like Alice's parents) face are very real and relatable, and the end had a positive message without seeming after-school-specially. There were just elements to the supernatural components in the
Kayleigh  Sparrow
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to this book. It promised a combination of some of my favourite things a ghost story, witches, a spooky old house and best of all it Alice in Wonderland. Sadly this book just really didn’t do it for; by the last 100 pages I was just reading it to have finished the book.

So first of all while the main character is called Alice and the book is called the looking glass it really has nothing to do with Alice in Wonderland. There are a few references to rabbit holes and
PickyReader
I was expecting to hate this book because of the low average rating. But I was pleasantly surprised!

This was an interesting concept. I enjoyed the message the book delivered! It will definitely speak to teen girl readers. The characters were flat overall, and the romance was stupid. All of a sudden, they love each other and would do anything for each other.

The writing style was sort of average; the plot really made this book for me. There were many twists and turns to keep the reader
Jacob
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Alice wakes up in an alternate version of the hotel where her family is vacationing. Slowly, she unravels the mystery behind the house--which involves a witch, a young woman driven to madness, and a long string of deaths. The plot drags in some places and some aspects feel more like plot devices rather than authentic elements of the world of the novel, but Arnold does a great job grappling with many important issues--self-image, familial relationships, love, loneliness, and others that teens ...more
E.M. Fitch
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not your average Looking Glass re-telling. Teenage Alice Montgomery wakes up following a near death accident in a ghost house, haunted by its former witchy resident. She will have to figure out the prison the old B&B has become before it’s too late and she is never able to leave.

With a rich backstory that calls to mind shades of Charlotte Gilman’s The Yellow Wallpaper and subtle hints of Lewis Carrol peppered throughout, Arnold weaves a spooky and intriguing tale that will keep you
Haley
2.5 stars for mehness.
Wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Historical elements really weren't all that historical, the hopelessness factor ran amuck with "frightening" mist, but Alice was totally relatable in that uncomfortable way that nobody ever wants to confront. The Looking Glass is a metaphor for a lot of things, and Miss Arnold used that to her fullest extent. Full review to come. (Maybe.)
Jacqueline Winters
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story! I was instantly drawn into the story by Alice’s dilemma. She’s trapped in a hotel while her body sits in a coma at a hospital. She has to unravel the mystery in order to survive. Add a cute boy – Tony – and well, this story was a suspenseful, fun, gripping read. I look forward to seeing more from this author!
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Took me a while to get through this one. I finally sat down today and made myself finish it. I did enjoy the story and the characters though, I wouldn't say it was the best. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone as even though it does have fantasy elements, the overall message is one that transcends genre, in my opinion.
Carla *Jen7waters*
Started out okay, but I slowly lost interest in the story and the characters---or should I say "character" because 80% of this book is about this one girl, Alice, running around a ghost house trying to get out. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen but nothing ever did. Honestly, this book is just plain boring.
Susan Mackie Powers
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
The Looking Glass had a very interesting premise and interesting characters. It took me a while to finish it because I kept putting it down . In many parts, the story dragged and could have been made much more interesting. All in all, a decent update to Alice in Wonderland and a good read for the young adult set
Q
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, indie-pub
I tend to prefer books that are more subtle when it comes to emotional development, but this one had the suspense part down, and I was pleasantly surprised when things didn't resolve the way I thought they would.
Melissa
May 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
Disappointing! I really wanted to like this book because I love this kind of ghost story/supernaturalish/time travelish/out of body experience kind of book. This did not grab me and I almost stopped reading. I did, however, skim. Even the ending was pretty disappointing.

• Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and the Dawn of the Modern Woman
  • A New York Christmas (Christmas Stories, #12)
  • Desert Solitaire
  • A Walker in the City
  • Ain't She a Peach? (Southern Eclectic, #2)
  • A Holiday by Gaslight
  • Fairest (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Past Perfect
  • Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1)
  • The Archived (The Archived, #1)
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • My Ex From Hell (The Blooming Goddess Trilogy, #1)
  • Say You Still Love Me
  • Disruption (Disruption, #1)
  • An Ex for Christmas
  • Corruption (Disruption, #2)
  • Plan B (Best Laid Plans, #2)
  • Until It Fades

The Looking Glass (2 books)
  • The Lingering Grace (The Looking Glass, #2)