Start by marking “The Untold Stories of Broadway (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Untold Stories of Broadway (Volume 1)

The Untold Stories of Broadway (Volume 1)

Do you wish you were in the audience during Barbra Streisand's final performance of Funny Girl on Broadway? Do you wonder how far Jonathan Groff was willing to go to score tickets to Thoroughly Modern Millie? And are you dying to know which beloved TV star and Tony Award winner was caught with his pants down in front of a movie legend? From opening nights to closing ...more
Published November 12th 2013 by Dress Circle Publishing (first published October 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Untold Stories of Broadway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Untold Stories of Broadway

Start your review of The Untold Stories of Broadway (Volume 1)
Diane Thayer
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a friend I met while taking a theatre class in NYC. It took awhile to understand the intent of this book and how it was laid out. After several false starts I finally grasped the concept and promptly fell in love with the book. As a self-proclaimed Broadway musical junkie, I learned so much about the theaters presented in the book as well as the history behind many Broadway musicals and the genre itself.

I thought the book would be a quick read. It's not; but it
Danielle
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This took such a long time for me to read, but I honestly adored every second of it. I love Broadway and it was fascinating to read stories and testimonies about different theaters. I had so much fun reading about theaters and then looking up what shows are playing there now. I got excited every time I recognized a name in the book. I even teared up a few times.

I’m so glad I already own the other two published volumes of this series! This is the perfect right-before-bed read; I just read a few
Kat
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a gift and I'm so excited to read the other books! I had seen Jennifer Ashley Tepper at the first BroadwayCon last year and was interested in reading her books. Background of the theatres has always interested me and Jennifer did a great job of collecting stories about all the theatres covered in this volume. The other volumes are high on my list of books to read! If you love the theatre, this is a must read!
Seth Jonas
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I almost never write reviews but enjoyed this book so much. You really get an idea of all the work that is put in to make a great show. Jennifer interviewed so many Broadway professionals (and a nice surprise that I know one of the persons she interviewed) who all just love what they do. I love how each section is based on one theaters history. Looking forward to reading the other volumes.
John
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the biggest fan of the organization of the book, but loved the history exposed and stories told.
Sarah Peterson
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It's a history of Broadway, as told through the different Broadway theaters in NYC. Having never been to NYC, I can't say for sure that the descriptions match the essence of these theaters, but that's really not what interested me about the book.

Ms. Tepper has collected many interviews from all kinds of people who work on Broadways, from the biggest stars and producers to the lowly stagehands and doormen. All of them have very interesting stories to tell about their
Nicole
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is an odd duck of a book; I reserved it from the library think it would read more like a usual book, but it was mostly an encyclopedic reference guide of interviews sorted by what theatre the anecdotes are about. I didn't find this the most conducive for pleasure reading, but if I had been writing a paper, it would've been useful. There is a nice cross-section of interviewees here, but I wish the author had branched out to more theatre-goers for the earlier years, as the accounts pretty ...more
Mike McAdam
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I think I am the exact target audience for this sort of book - a real Broadway nerd. I loved most of the stories (99% were great - there were a couple of stories that I thought, "Ok this doesn't interest even me") and read this book in record time. Great idea to split it up by theater. This first book just scratches the surface. Can't wait to read the other volumes!
Kayleigh Walsh
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! I'm a giant theatre history nerd, so to read these stories was a treat. It made me realize how tight-knit this community is, and how interwoven each theatre is with the others and the people who inhabit them. My only complaint is that the editing is a tad confusing at times. Otherwise, a must-read for any theatre lover. On to volume 2!
Ann
Apr 02, 2014 marked it as to-read
The minute I started reading I was hooked. The stories are organized by theater with brief details about architects and changes over the years. Did you know there are forty Broadway theaters? And all kinds of theater folks tell the stories from press agents to producers to performers and more. Can't wait to get back to reading!
Raina Murdock
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - if you are a theater geek you will enjoy this book. So interesting to hear the different perspectives on the various theaters - actors, stagehands, doormen, ushers, directors, producers. Fun little slices of time.
Katrina
I really enjoyed the book and stories from musical theater people I've grown up admiring. The one tiny thing I thought was interesting was there was no mention of a certain theater historian. But overall, it was good. It was a tad dry; I was expecting a little more funny anecdotes
Sarah Catherine
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read period. Very interesting and kept me reading late into the night!
Valerie
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This was pretty good. The author inserted herself and her own experiences way way WAY too much. But overall it's entertaining if you are a fan of Broadway!
Roberta
Jun 04, 2014
Heather Uy
May 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• mental floss presents Condensed Knowledge: A Deliciously Irreverent Guide to Feeling Smart Again
  • Uncle John's Actual and Factual Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader #31)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Where'd That Come From? (Uncle John's Facts to Go #4)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go UJTV (Uncle John's Facts to Go #2)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Mouthing Off (Uncle John's Facts to Go #10)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go History Makers (Uncle John's Facts to Go #1)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Modern Mythology (Uncle John's Facts to Go #7)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Show Biz Blunders (Uncle John's Facts to Go #18)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Mad Science (Uncle John's Facts to Go #3)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Attack of the Foodies (Uncle John's Facts to Go #12)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Screen Gems (Uncle John's Facts to Go #13)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Fads & Flops (Uncle John's Facts to Go #8)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Playtime! (Uncle John's Facts to Go #5)
  • Uncle John's Facts to Go Life is Strange (Uncle John's Facts to Go #6)
  • Kitty's Greatest Hits (Kitty Norville #0.1, 0.5-0.8, 1.5, 2.5, and more)
  • Quackery: A Brief History of the Worst Ways to Cure Everything