Start by marking “Fermented Vegetables: From Arugula Kimchi to Zucchini Curry, a Complete Guide to Fermenting More Than 80 Herbs and Vegetables” as Want to Read:

Even beginners can make their own fermented foods! This guide includes in-depth instruction for making kimchi, sauerkraut, and pickles and then offers more than 120 recipes, using the same basic methods, for fermenting 80 different vegetables and herbs. You'll discover how easy it is to make dozens of exciting dishes, including pickled Brussels sprouts, curried golden beet

Published September 23rd 2014 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fermented Vegetables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fermented Vegetables

Yodamom
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A wonderful guide on the art of fermentation with vegetables. I am a long time fermentor. I've been making kimchi and pickles for years, the basics. This book cover those is a well written process easy to follow and it has so much more. The ideas I got from this book just might drive me build a pickling pantry to store all my jars. I've always wanted to make sauerkraut, but how about carrot-kraut ? Or pickled brussel sprouts, my daughters fav. Oh and pickling herbs ?!?! Honestly I can't wait to ...more
k.wing
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and informative book on fermenting vegetables. Canning was popular among the older generations where I grew up, and I currently live in a land where fresh food reigns and the culture of storing food and fermenting it is forgotten. I’m proud to learn this necessary skill and make sure it doesn’t die out.

I’ve made kombucha and kimchi in the past, and I now have carrots in brine as we speak. I can’t wait to try fermenting citrus, pastes, and hot sauces.

This is an excellent resource on g
J.D. Knutson
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I NEED TO BUY THIS ONE! I borrowed it from the library, have read it through, and there are SO MANY amazing recipes I want to try! Unfortunately, I don't have time before needing to return it. I will either borrow again, or buy my own before the summer harvest begins. I can't wait!!!
Bridgett
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for review from Storey Publishing

Ok... I have a confession to make. I love Storey books! I love, love, love them. I know, every time I get a book published by them, that it will be awesome (only ONE book so far, that I haven't liked, but that was the subject).

This book was no exception. Wonderfully detailed, step by step instructions and explanations of the why and hows of fermenting. Clear and inspiring pictures throughout the book. You just want to run out and g
Phrodrick
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I liked most about Kirsten K. Shockey and Kirsten K. Shockey’s Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes Kindle Edition was the fact that it quickly and efficiently proved to me that I was not going to be able to ferment vegetables in my condo. Rather than make my negative case, I would rather focus on the value received by getting both the good and bad news.

At no more cost than this on
Sheryl
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
"Submerge in brine and all will be fine!" Being a novice, this book somewhat dispelled my fears that "home-fermenting" and "botulism-waiting-to-happen" go hand in hand. The authors describe the fermenting process thoroughly. I appreciated that they not only explained how fermenting can be successfully accomplished with the most basic of equipment, but also took the time to discuss (without judgement) many of the gadgets that are out there that some people use. I also appreciated the pictorial ap ...more
Melissa
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, ebook, wishlist
This book would be an amazing resource to own/have on hand, esp in physical form. They go through every vegetable/ingredient with stories of mad science experiments, successes and failures. It's incredibly detailed and the recipes all look AMAZING. Top of the wishlist.
Erok
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Been using this book. it rules and makes it super easy. gave me some decent tips and courage to keep exploring. the mold identifier is worth it alone
Riki
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A-MAZ-ING book about fermenting and brining. I can't explain it better than this - I've read half a dozen books on fermenting, and none of them have been as crystal clear as this book. There are no special weights required or storage spaces needed; simply use a mason jar or crock and fill up a ziploc baggie with water and use that as a weight to keep all veg submerged under brine. Seriously easy. Wish I knew this before I bought special mason jar air release lids and glass weights, blah blah bla ...more
Olivia
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
This fermentation/cookbook is so incredibly thorough. It explains in detailed depth the various ways to ferment and how to cook with or incorporate ferments into dishes, while also including some historical tidbits on certain foods or ferments (such as pickled cucumbers date back 4,000 years ago to India!). I also enjoyed the information about vitamin content. I had no idea how much turnips and radishes were packed with vitamins. It is overall THE book to read for fermentation newbies.

I tried cu
Sher
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An excellent book on fermenting vegetables- in fact- this book covers pretty much every vegetable under the sun! Standards like sauerkraut and kimchi are covered in detail with photos, but many variations of kimchi and kraut are covered too. I'm just getting ready to make beet - kraut. Lacto fermentation is wonderful for people who are avoiding or who are allergic to dairy, because the fermentation process adds beneficial bacteria like you get in yogurt without any milk or milk derivatives. Did ...more
Joseph F Cowan
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely and well written guide

The writing in this guide to fermentation is lucid, informative and very fun to read. The authors are well versed in their craft and write ckearly and in such a manner as to invite us along in their journey. I give massive props to the ebook designer(s). The recipe section begins with a beautiful photo of several fermented items followed by the clickable links to the recipes for those items. This is followed by another image and linked recipes and so on. Easy to use,
Mollyann
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Love this book!

I'm absolutely in love with this book! The collection of recipes are both old and familiar and new and exciting. I've read it twice from my library's kindle collection and still want to read or again and again. I'm buying it!
I love the authors wit and their dialog as they lead you through the process of fermenting each vegetable and the recipes that follow. My favorite line is, "Your kraut tamper will get a chance to moonlight as a muddler."
It's a great book all around, both as
Melissa
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great overview of pickling and fermenting--I feel like I learned a ton, and I knew nothing about fermentation going in. The basic brine recipes and basic how-tos were incredibly useful, giving you a step by step walkthrough. The general recipes for specific vegetables, which was the bulk of the book, was also very helpful (but no recipe for pickled hot peppers? strange). Giving it one less star because I found the meal recipes to be...not useful. I'm barely ready to try pickling, ...more
Toni F Jenssen
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little marvel of a book

I got this kindle book thinking that it would not meet my expectations and I was damn right: it’s MUCH better than anything I could’ve expected. The authors style is fun and extremely informative, they ooze out as much passion about fermenting vegetables as fermented veggies exude brine! Tonnes of recipes and ideas, little anecdotes and stories. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and it’s now hands on time!!
Annie Bazinet
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very nice book, the authors know how to organize themselves and keep you entertained and interested. Really like all the creativity in the book. Being a herbalist i can tell you that not all information on medicinal plants is up to par.

Definitely helped me get ideas for the ferment jars. :) Nice reference.
Linda Brown
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Fabulous!!

At last! A book written about fermenting that really catches my eye. Not your boring recipes from old bygone books that your grandmother read. Fresh, sparkling recipes using a vast number of veggies. Extra refreshing as well as nutritious.
Kevin Driskill
Vast in scope and easily digestible, no really. I have been fermenting for years and this book taught me tons. Great explanations, recipes, step-by-step instructions and resources to get you into the great healthy and tasty art of fermentation.
Brenda
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A real jewel

I loved the book. I read it in one seat. After I reach the part of the recipes I just read the ones that I was interested. Loved all the beet recipes. I'll son try my first batch :)
Martin Hjelm
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to learn how to ferment and get a gazillion recipes covering many many many plants and herbs then this is for you. I loved it. Get the hardcover version though it is more brine spill friendly than a Kindle...
Mary
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, inspiring, purchase worthy.
Mmouse
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on fermented vegetables. The recipes are great, at least the ones I tried.
Connie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
Another OK Fermented Foods book.
Betty
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ! Even a few recipes I might try.
Cait
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed with a fantastic variety of recipes and beautiful pictures of delicious, fermented treats. What more could you ask for?
Susan Chambless
This is my go-to for ferments. The authors give explicit instructions, but encourage you to try your own ideas.
Kate Sherrod
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll add another star if I actually achieve one of these recipes. stay tuned!
Lauren Read
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Practical & colorful.
Janet
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Great book, but chances are I won't be fermenting vegetables anytime soon.
Mskychick
What a fantastic book! I think we’re going to want to buy this one for our new kraut-maker.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fiery Ferments: 70 Stimulating Recipes for Hot Sauces, Spicy Chutneys, Kimchis with Kick, and Other Blazing Fermented Condiments
  • Asian Pickles: Sweet, Sour, Salty, Cured, and Fermented Preserves from Korea, Japan, China, India, and Beyond
  • Vegan Food Gifts: Spread the Vegan Love DIY-Style with 100 Inspired Recipes for Homemade Baked Goods, Preserves, and Other Edible Gifts Everyone Will Love
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen: Over 220 Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The Sexy Vegan Cookbook: Extraordinary Food from an Ordinary Dude
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • Pies and Tarts with Heart: Expert Pie-Building Techniques for 60+ Sweet and Savory Vegan Pies
  • Triumph of the Lentil: Soy-Free Vegan Wholefoods for All Appetites
  • Flatbreads  Flavors
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Saving the Season: A Cook's Guide to Home Canning, Pickling, and Preserving
  • Preserving by the Pint: Quick Seasonal Canning for Small Spaces
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
“Submerge in brine and all will be fine.” 1 likes
“Pickling cucumbers began in India 4,000 years ago. Pickle comes from the Dutch word pekel, which actually means “brine.” Traditional pickling herbs like mustard seed and cinnamon are antimicrobial. Pickles are like kraut or kimchi: they introduce vitamin B into the food. George Washington is said to have had a collection of 476 varieties of pickles.” 0 likes