Start by marking “Would You Rather...” as Want to Read:
Would You Rather...

Would You Rather...

Would you rather have supper in a castle, breakfast in a balloon, or tea on the river? Would you rather be made to eat spider stew, taste slug dumplings, chew mashed worms, or drink a snail shake? In a series of challenges inspired by the beloved game Top That!, John Burningham lets readers' imaginations soar with propositions from the whimsical to the outrageous. Here is ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Chronicle Books (first published November 15th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Would You Rather..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Would You Rather...

Kathryn
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
A fun and thought-provoking book where children are presented with a variety of fantastical options from which to choose--some are delightful ("Would you rather have supper in a castle, breakfast in a balloon, or tea on the river?") but some are lesser of two (or more!) evils (slurping a slug milkshake or swallowing a frog whole!? Do I HAVE to choose!?) The book invites the reader into the story--you really have to think about yourself experiencing each of the scenarios presented, and it's not a ...more
Kym
This is a great book! Such a good idea for a book; a nice introduction to philosophy. Burningham's questions require children to think about their likes and dislikes, and state personal preferences. Teachers can then ask children about their responses and encourage them to back up their thoughts with evidence. And yet there are no right or wrong answers! So a very safe space to introduce children to debate, contrasting ideas, and respecting individual differences in thought/belief. Adding moneta ...more
Donna
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fun and thought-provoking book where children are presented with a variety of fantastical options from which to choose which they would rather. Some are extraordinary but some are lesser of two evils (slurping a slug milkshake or swallowing a frog whole? It allows children to really talk, think and make their own choices. The book leads to a text based approach to reading by allowing the children to interact with the book. For children who love to imagine and aren't easily stressed, I think it ...more
Phoebe Ledster
A very fun read! Would provide brilliant opportunities for discussions with children. Also, the repetitive language would be useful for students with EAL.
Amar Pai
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
I was gonna give this 4 stars, but Izzy argued that it should get "all of the stars," and who am I to argue with youthful exuberance.

This book features Burningham's trademark light-hearted whimsical funny-but-you-can't-put-your-finger-on-why-exactly drawing style. It is a series of dilemmas such as, would you rather be made to:

a) eat SPIDER stew
b) taste SLUG dumplings
c) chew mashed WORMS
d) or drink a SNAIL shake

One of my favorite parts was this one. We'd just come from the zoo, where we'd seen a
Lisa Vegan
I’ve played this game with kids and remember enjoying it myself when I was a kid: choosing among two or three or four or more options of supposedly equal good or bad things. This book will get all the participants talking and thinking.

It was all going so well until I came across a few so called choices of way too disgusting things, none of which I’d ever choose. But, all in all, a very fun exercise. There are some lovely things to contemplate too.

This seems more like an activity to me than a boo
Carmine
Nov 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Carmine by: I heart Burningham
Shelves: picture-books
A brilliant launch pad to discussion whether you are with one child or with twenty. Just as the title implies, one must choose between a couple of choices...some pleasant and silly, others unpleasant. Not unlike life really. My partner and I play a similar game with each other entitled "This or that."

Not recommended at bedtime as it is likely to wind wee folks up with an endless barrage of silly what ifs....and you know that can go on FOREVER!
Micaela Muldoon
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-children
Oldie, but a goodie. A fun and imagination-stimulating read. It is adventurous and will make both you and the child you share it with really think. The only issue is the ending... pretty meh.
Maia
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! Everyone reading this will find themselves choosing their answer to the questions, adult and child alike. As a caution, there were some scary choices for young children (3-5)
Sue Winson
May 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book has a very cool concept. Readers are presented with a few different scenarios, and we are asked to choose a "preferred" option. Some of those scenarios are really fun and make me smile. "Would you rather an elephant drank your bath water, an eagle stole your dinner, a pig tried on your clothes, or a hippo slept in your bed." Some are not that fun but still within acceptable range: "would you rather be covered in jam, soaked in water, or pulled through the mud by a dog." 2 years old lit ...more
Lucy Allison
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ks1, picturebooks
This book includes various questions asking the reader which option they would choose. This is an opportunity for children to bond and discuss openly which option they prefer and why. Children can also create their own situations to ask others.
Oddly Minty
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
The original “Would you rather?” Copyright 1978! Scenarios range from 2 to 6 choices with the optimal choice reserved for the last page of the book. This would be a fun bedtime book.
Alice Bennett
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
To do later x
Ruth
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Typically humorous JB. I remember loving the would you rather choices, so I think it will appeal to children, but no great storyline here, just a lot of choices to make. Maybe good for discussion.
Meredith
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesson-plan
I made a lesson out of it. http://gardencity-library.blogspot.co...
Dana
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This book has elements of fiction.

I really enjoyed this book! It will keep the children entertained and keep them laughing. I believe that children will be engaged. As a teacher you can involve all the children in this book, for example, can use the voting system to see what children 'will rather do'. This can then launch a class discussion and so on.

It gives children three options of what they would rather have. It gives you a sense of your child's interests and sense of character as you can a
Niall Geoghegan
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you ever need a book to start discussion or debate among ks1 children then this is it. Choices such as whether you would rather eat spider stew or mashed slugs provides interesting questions and disucssions within the classroom. The book is set out for the three to six-year-old age group,i used i in a year 1 class but i believe children in early ks2 would also enjoy the dilemas this book provides. It was a great book to use as a starter to my literacy lesson and i really lead to a lively disc ...more
Emily
Jan 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Pure charm. Rees and Hazel consider the whimsical questions in this book very seriously every time we read it. "Would you rather your house be surrounded by water, snow, or jungle? Would you rather be forced to eat slug dumplings, or a snail shake?" The illustrations have got a British flare to them, and I just enjoy reading this story with them over and over again as they make different choices to the questions/pictures with every reading.
Mary
This would be a great book to read to a child to encourage critical thinking skills. Each page has a different set of "would you rather" questions, which encourages discussion about the selections that the reader makes. I found myself having a hard time making a decision on some pages! The images are somewhat older, but it is still fun to read.
Alice
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 stars a book about would you rather. All of the suggestions don't thrill me...I would rather do none of them...well except the last page. It is good for a giggle and gives something to think about..."would you rather jump in nettles for five dollars, swallow a dead frog for twenty dollars or stay all night in a creepy house for fifty dollars?"
Jessie
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-purchase, baby
This is an interactive storybook for kids and parents alike. Each page gives you options and you have to choose which one you would rather do. For example, would you rather your dad did a dance at school or your mom make a fuss in the cafe? We all have different ideas and opinons towards why would would rather do one thing over something else. I would like to own this book someday.
Wendy Daniel
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
This book is an excellent conversation starter that can e used to create a dynamic vocabulary and print motivation for children (2-4 years old). Some of the decisions are so funny that the kids want to circle back to them. I also love how children organically work on their own narrative skills as they come up with increasingly crazy scenarios.
Joan
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great ideas to spark lively classroom conversations and jumpstart writing and graphying activities. By the way...I'D rather stay all night in a creepy house for fifty dollars than swallow a dead frog for twenty or jump in the nettles for five! :) That's just me!
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: choices
A young child's version of the game "Would You Rather..." Choices range from where you would want to be lost to what kind of animals you'd like to play with.

Fun and a bit silly illustrations.
Connor Bartlett
This is such a great book to read to kids to brighten their days. It is fun, interactive, and will keep them laughing.
Matthew
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
This might segue into a nice piece of persuasive writing if it is presented right. I don't know yet. I haven't had a chance to try it, though I intend to.
Jordan
Jul 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I can spend hours on each page
Leah Gimre
This is a cute book to do with your students. You just ask them either or and they tell you which one they would pick and why.
Michelle Nero
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A lot to think about - some good discussions could arise!
Would you Rather Game 1 3 Apr 13, 2013 08:37AM
Would you rather game 2 4 Nov 12, 2011 09:18AM

• The Word Collector
  • Man on the Moon (A Day in the Life of Bob)
  • Down the Back of the Chair
  • Whatever
  • Previously
  • Dog Blue
  • The Book of Mean People

Married to Helen Oxenbury They have one son and two daughters.

John Burningham was born in 1936 in Farnham, Surrey, and attended the alternative school, Summerhill. In 1954 he spent two years travelling through Italy, Yugoslavia and Israel, working at a variety of jobs.

From 1956-1959, he studied at the Central School of Art, after which he designed posters fo