Start by marking “Gabriel's Clock (Hobbs End, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gabriel's Clock (Hobbs End, #1)

Gabriel's Clock

(Hobbs End #1)

Jonathan Smith thinks he’s a regular twelve-year-old living a normal life in England with his parents. His first clue to the contrary is the faceless monsters in suits and bowler hats that crash into his family’s cottage. It’s not until he wakes up alone in the unfamiliar village of Hobbes End that his true identity is revealed: his mother’s a demon, his dad’s an angel, an ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 3rd 2013)

Start your review of Gabriel's Clock (Hobbs End, #1)
Jamie
This is a fun paranormal novel for youthful readers. With a menagerie of characters including demons, angels, werewolves, gargoyles and talking cats!

The book starts off at a very fast pace when Jonathan and his parents are attacked by demons. Although he does not know them as such his parents do. They have a secret he does not know. His mother is a demon and his father of angel descent, leaving Jonathan the first mix of the two and thought to be much more powerful. After the attack, Jonathan w
Joan
This is 2.5 stars, rounded up. Another author has taken Christian mythology and made their own story out of it. Jonathon is grabbed by his Mom as horrids attack the house his family is in. His Dad gives them time to be able to get away. It turns out Jonathon is the only half angel, half demon in existence and the baddies want to have him big time. It also turns out his Dad's Dad is Gabriel, the angel, who is also mortal and a clock maker which is apparently going to be quite important at least i ...more
Wart Hill
Oct 23, 2014 marked it as gave-up
Shelves: netgalley, arc2014
I received a free ARC via NetGalley

The first chapter is super awkward. The writing style, the dialogue. It didn't hold my interest.
Gemma
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5* A fun middle grade story but seeming lacking in depth. More thoughts to come.

I posted a joint review of this one and the 2nd book on my blog which can be found here https://gemmasbooknook.blogspot.co.uk...
Adele Broadbent
Jonathon has no idea he is the only half demon - half angel child in the world. When strange men wearing pin stripe suits, bowler hats and no faces appear at their house, his parents grab him and try to flee.
Jonathon wakes in a strange bed, in a town he's never heard of. And what he's about to learn is something out of strange fiction.
He misses his parents terribly, not knowing what happened to them, but with the help of new friends he's met at the village, he has to face those faceless men agai
Ian Calandro
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not a bad story. It's a little childish in its execution and there are some parts of the story I think can be done without, but I like the idea and I think this book provides a pretty good story and I had an enjoyable time reading it. There is definatly potential here. Although I wouldn't really recommend this book to readers to desire a more "advanced" story, but if you want to read a book for fun, this wouldn't be a bad start.
Heather Murphy
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
An engaging story and idea but really not well-written. The dialogue is shockingly bad- grimace-and-eye-roll-inducing. I don't think anyone ever taught this writer how to show and not tell. It's a quick read and the characters and plot itself are likeable. Just not very well-executed unfortunately. One review I read described the opening as "super awkward" and that is a pretty definitive description.
Oscar Spencer
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Tharp
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
More to come
Belinda Adkins Bennett
Love the humor and great plot
Perla
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tessa Joy
Nov 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Jonathan is on the run from demons. After escaping these faceless monsters, Jonathan’s mother leaves him at Hobbes End—a village created and protected by his fallen-angel grandfather, Gabriel. Jonathan is a unique child being half demon and half angel, but he is unaware of his supernatural heritage. Having this connection to both Heaven and Hell makes Jonathan very desirable to Belial—an archdemon who rules a section of Hell. Belial wants to use Jonathan’s angelic roots to invade Heaven. To comp ...more
Sherri
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-school
This book begins a new fantasy series that will really appeal to middle school students, especially reluctant readers due to its fast-paced action and adventure.

Jonathan, age 12, is the only half-angel and half-demon in the world and doesn’t even know it. Yet the archdemon, Belial, thinks that Jonathan’s unique parentage has given the boy unique powers that would allow Belial to rule over Heaven and Hell.

Despite the best efforts of his parents, Jonathan’s world is turned upside down one night w
Silea
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, fiction, vine
I'm really not sure what i think about this book.

The writing was good, and the story flowed well, but somehow the whole angels/demons/other mythological creatures thing just didn't work. Perhaps if they had simply kept it to angels and demons (though the 'g' word somehow never comes up), i might have been more able to engage.

The village felt like a room full of Chekov's Guns, but so few of them are actually fired. Clearly, if this is the beginning of a series, those other plot elements should
Amy Rugg
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked a lot about this book. Oddly enough my favorite character was the cat. I am a big fan of anything Angels, hoping to write a book about them myself one day. My only regret was some of the fighting that took place. It reminded me almost of watching a TV-14 show, more than a child's book. I would of preferred something more like the Harry Potter series, where they didn't actually kill people for the most part, these evil acts got you sent to prison, or a more karma-like approach, killed by ...more
Vanessa
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the angel Gabriel chose to leave Heaven behind, he transferred all of his remaining power into the town Hobbes End. It became a safe-haven for anyone needing to be kept safe. Well right now, Jonathan desperately needs to be kept safe. The only child of a demon mother and angel father, all the forces of Hell will stop at nothing to harness him immense power. But Gabriel, Jonathan's grandfather, has a plan. He has constructed a clock, a key that will get Jonathan into Heaven and safety. But t ...more
Emily May
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves to be the new Harry Potter. I've been recommending it to as many children (and adults) as I possibly can- and I've put it on prominent display in the library where I work. Pashley's imagination and world building are incredible- I desperately want to live in Hobbes End! The characters are vivid and all leave you wanting more. The story is fast-paced and there's never a dull moment. The humour between characters alone makes the book worth reading.

The only thing potential reade
Lisa Kizer
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't know what I expected from this book but this wasn't it. It's almost like Salmon Rushdie's Satanic Verses but for kids with kids as the major characters. The story is about the battle between good and evil using Gabriel a fallen angel (by his own choice) and archdemons. Lucifer is mentioned quite a bit but he does not make an appearance and besides that you are given the impression that he is not a truly evil angel, but a remorseful one. I am having trouble trying to figure out whether I ...more
Zayneea
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book by chance because I liked the look of the front cover. I enjoyed it, but though there could have maybe been more or a description of the characters OR as it's a childrens book there could have been some illustrations. There is some fighting / violence, so only suited for older children as might be a bit scary for the little ones.

"I buried myself in building clocks - the simplicity of their mechanisms reminded me of how creation should be: ordered, regular, predictable."
Bari
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gabriel's Clock is great for the young Harry Potter fan. With a fast moving plot, good versus evil and short chapters Gabriel's Clock is a good choice for struggling readers as well.

There is a town created by a fallen angel, a fight between good vs eveil, demons, wizards, magic and even a talking cat. The hero in all of this is a 12 year named Jonathan, whose mothers is a demon and father is an angel. This makes him the only 1/2 demon 1/2 angel in exisistance.

I highly recommend this and passed
I really wanted to like this book, it had everything I liked. Demons, angels, werewolves and Britain. Unfortunately there were just way to many plot lines and secondary characters that confused me. A man named Grimm who was a doctor instead of the grim reaper made me laugh. With lots of funny moments in the book it was really saddening for me not to love it. I wished the plot line read smoother, but the syntax just didn't flow.
Johnnie B. C8B
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: johnntie-s-shelf
In this book there is mystery and lots of action. It starts out as a small family living, but one night they are attacked by demons. The parents have to send off the kid to a secret location where he want be found by the demons, but the parents have to stay and fight. the child soons learn a huge secret about what is going on and what powers he has. Can he defeat the demons and get his family back, find out in Gabriel's Clock.
Angela Mcowan
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book, it is a great read for anyone, not just children. There are lots of well-written characters who I connected with straight away, Jonathan trying to figure out who he is, Ignatius trying to come to terms with his grief, and of course the loveable irreverent cat, Elgar. There's also lots of excellent description, and the race for the clock is un-put-downable.
Helen Everitt
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was my perfect Christmas read. Settling down once the festivities were over and peace again reigned, I immersed myself in this fast paced and action packed tale of good versus evil. The wonderful characterisation and liberal dose of humour made this a heart warming and hugely enjoyable read. I can't wait for the next installment!
Yuiko
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
The concept of the story was what drew me in

The writing style is what killed me
Made it seem so bland and boring

Dove right into action from page one which I ussally like.but it confused me so much not explaining enough of what things ment.

Maybe I'm to critical I'm sure other people will love the story so its worth checking out :)
Mark Richards
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
This story had great potential, but was ultimately disappointing. Too many lost opportunities for description. The words should paint the pictures, but that never really happened. I loved the concept and the story was interesting, just not what it could have been.
Peter K
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a really fun book. Lotta swears for a kids book, in fine British style.

I liked the exploration of the dichotomy of our souls.

I will probably hunt down the rest of the trilogy. Got this first one at a library discard sale. A good buy methinks.
Paul
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The product of a wonderful imagination.
Max
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ARC received through NetGalley.
A really delightful, inventive, exciting story of angels, demons, and British village life. Loved it!
C
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
This book is perfect for middle school kids. This book is packed with action and will capture your attention from the first page.

• The Fairy-Tale Detectives
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
  • The Dragonet Prophecy (Wings of Fire Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Rebel Voices : The Rise of Votes for Women
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
  • The Last (Endling, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Squirrelflight's Hope (Warriors Super Edition, #12)
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • Warriors: Battles of the Clans (Warriors Field Guide #4)
  • Hive (Hive #1)
  • Oathkeeper (Bravelands, #6)
  • The Polar Bear Explorers' Club
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • SAMPLER ONLY: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • The Last Orphans (The Last Orphans, #1)

Hobbs End (3 books)
  • Sammael's Wings (Hobbs End, #2)
  • Michael's Spear (Hobbs End, #3)