Start by marking “World War Hulk” as Want to Read:
World War Hulk

World War Hulk (World War Hulk)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  7,468 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
Exiled by a group of Marvel 'heroes' to the savage alien planet of Sakaar, the Hulk raged, bled & conquered through the pages of last year's 'Planet Hulk' epic, rising from slave to gladiator to king. Now the Hulk returns to Earth to wreak his terrible vengeance on Iron Man, Reed Richards, Dr. Strange & Black Bolt.
Published May 27th 2009 by Marvel (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about World War Hulk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World War Hulk

Anne
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot more than the previous story, Hulk: Planet Hulk. This takes place on earth and involves a bunch of butt-kicking by Hulk and his friends. I know, whodathunkit?! Anyway, Hulk is after Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Black Bolt, and Dr. Strange. Since they were the ones responsible for shooting him into space in the first place, he assumes that the bomb that destroyed his adopted planet (including his wife and unborn child) was somehow rigged to blow by these guys. Um...it makes s ...more
Sesana
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
So this isn't exactly smart comics. It's really just Hulk smashing stuff up good, and also virtually every hero who was active at the time. Mostly kind of dumb, sure. But pretty fun all the same. Planet Hulk was a better story, to be sure, in that there was an actual story there. This is really just smashing. But I didn't expect anything else from a book called World War Hulk. Still, there's a moment near the end where Bruce gets to show what he's really made of, and it's a great moment. Just go ...more
Bookwraiths
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars. Love watching the Hulk wipe the floor with all the Marvel heavy weights.
Donovan
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
A book-length fight scene where misplaced revenge for lost love and betrayal destroys all heroism for hypocrisy and monstrosity. Essentially, that superheroes are stock characters in an inconsequential play of hyperbolic in-fighting. “God help us all” indeed.
Sam Quixote
Hulk was sent away from Earth in a spaceship by Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Dr Strange, and Black Bolt, because he's too dangerous/unstable. He winds up on an alien planet where he goes from being a gladiator to their king, falling in love and becoming a father (all of these events take place in "Planet Hulk"). That is until the spaceship he arrived in blows up killing a million of his alien chums along with his pregnant wife. Oh Hulk is maaaaaaaaaaaaad. So here he goes, on a new spaceship headed ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I've been wanting to read this for a while, so I was happy to see it come up affordable on Kindle (and incidentally it's free to read if you have Amazon Prime). This was a very good graphic novel. This is and World War Hulk Prelude are my first forays into Hulk-Centric graphic novels, and I started out strong with these two.

Hulk is a very sympathetic character despite the mayhem he's capable of. I like that they don't portray him as a dumb muscle head. He's thoughtful and keen at strategizing. H
Jesse A
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than Planet Hulk. Just alot of Hulk ass kicking.
Carlex
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continuación de "Planeta Hulk", comentada aquí: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

El Goliat Esmeralda y sus amigos gladiadores regresan del planeta Sakaar buscando venganza. Hulk culpa a los superhéroes más influyentes de la Tierra (esto es, Mr. Fantástico, Iron Man, Rayo Negro de los Inhumanos y el Doctor Extraño) de la muerte de su amada junto con un millón de habitantes del planeta al que fue exiliado.

Y ya sabéis, cuando más se enfada Hulk más fuerte se convierte... En esta ocasión reg
Terence
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
The Hulk is coming home, but it's not an occasion to celebrate. Hulk had it all, but then it got wiped away in an explosion. Now he's coming for the four men who sent him into space and God help anyway who gets in his way.
description

There isn't much to this one, the angrier Hulk gets the stronger he gets and he's never been angrier than he is in World War Hulk. If anyone ever wanted to see The Illuminati members and their teams beat up then this is series for them. It's everyone versus Hulk and his warboun
Michael
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
So, a quartet of heroes banished the Hulk to a planet where he started out as a slave and worked his way up to ruler. Eventually, he found love and got married only to have the space ship blow up, wiping out his new-found people and his wife. Needless to say, the Hulk's pretty annoyed about all of this and returns to Earth to kick some super-hero posterior and take some names.

And that's where World War Hulk begins. And then you spend the next hundred or so pages with the Hulk battling various M
David Dalton
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost all action!

A whole lot of destruction in this one. The Hulk almost too powerful. Where was Thor? Need to read more.
Gavin
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Ugh. Romita isn't my fave. Everyone looks the same.

Also, the ego of having one of the Punch noises be "GRGGPAKKK"? Really? In a book written by Greg Pak? Wow. Deep.

Also, what a fucking lazy ending...Sentry takes on Hulk, and ends up being so powerful, Hulk has to stop him from destroying the planet.

Banner good, Hulk mad, the illuminati still assholes.

Also, why don't we see Black Bolt get his ass kicked? He just appears dead looking after almost taking out Hulk earlier.

Just no thoughts at all. Th
Kemper
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero
This a pretty good Hulk story, but the ending is a mess. Plus, for a book called World War Hulk, all of the fighting is in New York
Robert
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Who Liked Planet Hulk and Need to Know What Comes Next
Shelves: hoopla, marvel
Not as compelling as Planet Hulk, alas. And for a "World War" 99% of the action took place on Manhattan Island. I know it's a Marvel book and all, but that felt like a real lack of scope and depth.
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
Meh, I liked Planet Hulk about 20x more. Just felt anti-climactic at the end, and not what I expected from such an epic story.
Paul
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was expecting something... better.
I had recently read Planet Hulk and was looking forward to jumping into this sequel.

What a let-down.

Nowhere near as good as its predecessor, despite having the same writer.

So Hulk has a spaceship that can travel back to Earth from Sakaar (where'd that come from anyways?). He leads an army to attack Earth... but wait, let's settle for New York's Central Park, making a pit stop on the Moon on the way to kick the bajoo-zass out of whats-his-name from the Inhumans
Vojtěch
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hulk tak nasranej, jak jsem ho ještě nepoznal. A i když je to pouhá jedna velká bitka, tak to byla sakra epická bitka. Fakt boží! :D
C. Varn
Mixed

While undeniably cool, the limits of the Hulk are in display here as a character study of how a moral campus makes Banner interesting or not. The moral calculus of the Avengers' action is hard to square away ultimately, and the Hulk is rendered a somewhat shallow revenge beast. Fun but could have done more with the premise.
Jedhua
Other Useful Reviews: Sam Quixote's review, Paul's review, Hrishi's review

Book Info: This collection contains World War Hulk issues #1-5.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {2.5/5 stars} (Rounded Down)

STANDARDIZED RATING: <2/5 stars>

This was perhaps worse than I remember it being the first time around. Believe me, I was tempted to give it 2.5 stars, just as I had done for Planet Hulk . But it's like this book didn't even try to be good, and I think Marvel knew it would be a success no matter what.

First an
Arun Divakar
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Hulk hasn’t been my idea of a hero. The onscreen portrayals by Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo of Bruce Banner have been very enjoyable in terms of the vulnerability that pushes them over to become the rampaging green monster. A slightly long look at the character makes him seem more of a fulfillment of a naive expectation of what a hero ought to be all about. This is a world where every problem is dealt a swift punch to the face until it’s teeth fall out. World War Hulk to me has been one of ...more
Martin
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, used-to-own
As far as "Events" go, this is bottom-drawer stuff. I apologise to all you die-hard Hulk fans out there, but this story is inferior to The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk in absolutely every respect, from story to art. First of all, Hulk is wrong when he believes some Earth-based heroes (Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, and Black Bolt) are responsible for the spaceship explosion at the end of the "Planet Hulk" storyline. But of course he doesn't know that and so goes on a rampage and takes the ...more
Dustin
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book really highlights why I wish they would have left the character on the alien planet of the previous year's storyline for another year or two.
Short version: hulk was shot into space because Marvel didn't want to have to deal with him during the Civil War storyline. While on the alien planet Hulk has some really awesome Conan and Spartacus style adventures and ends up in charge of the place (I personally would have stretched the adventure part out for another year before he gained contr
Stephen
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
God, but this story was dull.

Having made his way back to Earth, Hulk enacts his revenge upon the ones who sent him away in the first place - Black Bolt, Mr Fantastic, Doctor Strange and Iron Man.

This story was just... predictable. Dull. I forced myself to read the entire thing, and wasn't remotely surprised or enthralled by any of it. To be honest, I probably could have guessed how it would end based on hearing the premise.

So: Hulk attacks New York, lots of fighting happens, he briefly defeats e
Scott
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Meh

The Hulk is back on earth and looking for revenge against Black Bolt, Reed Richards, Stephen Strange and Tony Stark for kicking him off the planet in the first place and supposedly killing his wife, kid and friends.

300 pages (of very good art btw) of Hulk kicking the crap out of people and being a huge badass.

Not much story - too much action.
Cem Binboğa
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Hulk artık daha öfkeli ve tek istediği şey intikam.
Jordan Anderson
While at least 100 pages shorter and definitely not as good as Planet Hulk, Pak’s follow up World War Hulk is still a hell of a good story and a pretty satisfying conclusion to the entire Planet Hulk arc.

This 5 part series is nonstop and Hulk is on a complete and unstoppable rampage, destroying everything in his path. I loved that aspect. Pak wastes no time getting the story going, and, assuming you’ve read Planet Hulk, he doesn’t spend too many pages on backstory or exposition. I also found Hul
Kevin
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This 11-year-old collection roughly follows some of what we saw in Thor: Ragnarok with Hulk on the planet Sakaar where he starts as a reject and then a slave and then a gladiator and then a champion.

What I didn’t know and that was twisted around for the Marvel Cinematic Universe interpretation of events is that Hulk was deemed to be a danger to Earth so Mr. Fantastic, Iron Man, Black Bolt, and Doctor Strange blasted him to Sakaar.

To add insult to injury, after Hulk became a champion and a leade
Ralph Wark
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Windbreaker Hulk....

The Hulk is exiled into space because he is a threat to mankind, landing on a hostile world where he is enslaved as a gladiator but eventually becomes the king (it takes a while). There his love is expecting,but she and a million others are killed in an explosion he blames on his exiles....Tony Stark,, Reed Richards, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange.

The Hulk returns to Earth for vengeance, his rage making his pre exile self seem like the Dalai Lama. He is a windbreaker.

Good st
Steve
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
The aftermath of Planet Hulk is the story of this comic. Hulk has returned to earth to get revenge on Dr. Strange, Reed Richards, Tony Stark, and Black Bolt. As expected, Hulk smashes, but the ending is a little wimpy.
Christian Smith
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Story(Greg Pak): 7/10

Art(John Romita Jr.): 5/10

PARENTS GUIDE
Age Level: 11+

Violence:

throughout the entire story, Hulk has many fights with earth's heroes that are bloody and gruesome fights.

at one point The Hulk is shot with hundreds of bullets and his green blood spews forth.

(view spoiler)

Sex/Nudity:

in 1 panel she hulk's butt is shown from behind covered just by her leotard. averagely showy.

Profanity:

• Civil War: Punisher War Journal
  • X-Force, Volume 1: Angels And Demons
  • Civil War: Captain America
  • Civil War: X-Men
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Mech Cadet Yu" for BOOM and “Totally Awesome Hulk" and "Weapon X" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “Make Comics Like the Pro ...more
More about Greg Pak