Start by marking “Novels, 1930-1935: As I Lay Dying / Sanctuary / Light in August / Pylon” as Want to Read:
Novels, 1930-1935: As I Lay Dying / Sanctuary / Light in August / Pylon

Novels, 1930-1935: As I Lay Dying / Sanctuary / Light in August / Pylon

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  1,008 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Between 1930 and 1935, William Faulkner came into full possession of the genius and creativity that made him America's greatest writer of the twentieth century. "As I Lay Dying" is a dark comedy, full of horror and compassion, of a rural Mississippi family bearing the corpse of their matriarch to burial in town. "Sanctuary," a violent novel of sex and social class that mov ...more
Published 1985 by Library of America (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Novels, 1930-1935, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Novels, 1930-1935

Martin Bihl
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sometimes it's the book and sometimes it's the reader. So this time I'm taking the hit, because for some reason I just couldn't focus on Pylon. I know it had interesting and complex characters. I know it had an artful and subtle narrative style. And the story itself was compelling. So why couldn't I sit down and lose myself in it? I don't know. I do know i found it distracting that Faulkner decided to set the novel in New Orleans, but then decided to replace all the place-names with New-Orleans- ...more
Melanie
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Im just reading Sanctuary, already read As I Lay Dying and Light in August, my library didn't have Sanctuary on its own
Jo-Ann
Brendan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This second collection of Faulkner's novels is utterly fantastic, finding the author coming into full grasp of his literary powers. From the perspective shifting brilliance of As I Lay Dying to the stupendous characterization of Pylon, all four of these novels are essential reading.
Toothy_grin
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't see a way to indicate just one (or two, or three) of the four novels in this volume. I read "As I Lay Dying" on this checkout, so this appreciation pertains to that title.
Wow! If there's a writer of prose who can produce more poetic language, I would like to know about her/him. Faulkner's words can be dense to the point of difficulty, but when he "nails it," I am at times left shaking my head in admiration. A brief example: "As though the clotting which is you had dissolved into the myr
Martha
Mar 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Faulkner, American lit fans
Faulkner is a brilliant writer and is very important to American literature. I read "As I Lay Dying" and found it quite a challenge. It is difficult to get past the dialect, and the fact that fifteen different characters narrate the story. Plus, the events are not always chronological, nor do they always make sense. This book is supposed to be funny - the smell of the corpse the family doesn't seem to be bothered by, Anse's (the father) excuse for not working - that he sweats too much, and the n ...more
K
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
just finished as i lay dying.[july 17,'12] read several years back; reread was even better. just started light in aug. have to intersperse w/others so it'll be a slow go.moving along w light in aug,,mar 10. Finished the other day. What a story teller he was. desvergnes was in ox w photo at museum. brief visit w wife but no opportunity to say hello to him. missed opportunity i'm sure i'll regret.
Compelling like no other of his I've read. Of this volume I lack Pylon. Am looking for something to re
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Ummm. Well I finished it, that is saying something. I only read As I Lay Dying not this whole book.
I kind of liked it but it was hard to read, like homework. It was sometimes hard to follow and most importantly it was very very sad. They style of every chapter in a different voice was challenging for me, I almost had to write out a family tree to keep track of who was who. The vernacular was tricky to follow as well. Kind of like reading poetry or Shakespeare. I am glad I read it.
Mk Miller
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More a review of Library of America's "packaging." We seem to have a lot of Faulkner, and the one off paper backs and even a big hardback collection by another publisher just look like shit next to this version (not like they're in any kind of order on the shelves). At some point we'll probably throw out the duplicates, but it's Faulkner. Big ups for the built in bookmark - very functional!!! And proceeds go to the NEA.
Mark Dickson
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partially-read
I just finished rereading "As I Lay Dying" after watching James Franco's film treatment. The depths of this cursed family is unmatched in literature I've read. It is a journey through Hell with no breath of redemption possible.
Erik
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great collection of early Faulkner novels. As I Lay Dying and Light in August are deservedly classics, while Sanctuary is well written but pretty average genre fiction and Pylon is one of his weakest efforts.
Joan
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great collection. Pylon, one of Faulkner's least popular novels, is one of the weirder books I've ever read. But it's still Faulkner, and still brilliant and compelling. And unlike the writing of anyone else.
Charles Fresquez
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Now that I've read all this Faulkner, for some reason I now have a greater appreciation for Herman Melville as well. My favorite novel of these four is Light in August. I would highly recommend it.
Katherine
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sanctuary: These books by Faulkner make me feel like I need to go back to the start as soon as I've finished. The first trip through, I am learning the characters, the surroundings and quirks of the locale. Only when I have taken in the plot can I concentrate on style and meaning.
Erin
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just read As I Lay Dying. Will return for the other novels.
Deane
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Joe Starnes
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hard to pick one Faulkner, but I'll take this one with my two favorite novels of his: As I Lay Dying and Light in August.
Christopher Sutch
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
See reviews for individual titles.
Joy
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Well worth reading.
Marci
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Um, Faulkner is not my cup of tea thus far... I really didn't like the plot, characters, or time the story was set in.
Dan
May 07, 2009 added it
Raw
Eli
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here you have 2 great novels, a very good novel (Sanctuary), and one I didn't bother to read (Pylon). The ones that are good are so good that this book gets 5 stars from me.
Isadora Wagner
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Magnificent and strange.
Matt
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible reading experience. I took so much out of reading Faulkner's major novels chronologically. The more I think about it, As I Lay Dying is without a doubt my favorite Faulkner novel.
Richard Schave
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (1992)
Tom Monson
May 18, 2016
Kurt Danielson
Dec 26, 2016
  • Mississippi Writings
  • Complete Novels: The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter / Reflections in a Golden Eye / The Ballad of the Sad Cafe / The Member of the Wedding / Clock Without Hands
  • Collected Novels: Fanshawe / The Scarlet Letter / The House of the Seven Gables / The Blithedale Romance / The Marble Fawn
  • The Grapes of Wrath and Other Writings 1936-1941: The Grapes of Wrath, The Harvest Gypsies, The Long Valley, The Log from the Sea of Cortez
  • Pierre, Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales, Billy Budd
  • Novels, 1944-1953
  • Novels and Stories, 1920-1922
  • Novels and Stories: The Call of the Wild / White Fang / The Sea-Wolf / Klondike and Other Stories
  • Complete Plays, 1932-1943
  • Novels, 1967-1972: When She Was Good / Portnoy's Complaint / Our Gang / The Breast
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Early Novels and Stories
  • Baldwin: Early Novels and Stories
  • Novels and Memoirs, 1941-1951: The Real Life of Sebastian Knight / Bend Sinister / Speak, Memory
  • Collected Works: Wise Blood / A Good Man is Hard to Find / The Violent Bear it Away / Everything that Rises Must Converge / Essays and Letters
  • Collected Plays 1944-1961
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, and Shorter Fiction
  • Main Street / Babbitt
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.

The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner