Start by marking “Rubbish!: Reuse Your Refuse” as Want to Read:
Rubbish!: Reuse Your Refuse

Rubbish!: Reuse Your Refuse

3.02  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Want to know what goodies you can make with your garbage? This book shows you how to give everyday household items a new life the hip craftster’s way. You’ll discover how to complete more than 30 creative projects using materials you already have at your disposal, while reducing trash and upcycling your personal style. From a credit card bracelet to a map photo frame, this ...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Rubbish!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rubbish!

Kate
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of recycling materials into cool crafts. I had paged through this book when I first saw it at the library, then decided to make two of the projects for Christmas presents for friends: the wine cork bracelets and the romance novel light switch covers.

The wine cork bracelets were fairly easy to do and came out looking really cool. I did notice that in the photos the bracelets were made only of wine corks with the wire loops, while the instructions described putting bead links betwe
Katie
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: household
Great pictures, and with the exception of two or three truly useful ideas, it's really a compilation of items most would never use. I was fairly disappointed by this book.
Stephanie
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fun book that shows you how to turn your trash into jewelry, handbags, and iPod covers. The trick is to find the craft you want to make, and then start saving the components. For example, you may have an old paperback collecting dust that you’d be willing to make a light switch cover from, but you may have to go to the Goodwill store for more exotic things like the pieces to a board game. I want to make the magazine cover handbag!
Jan 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
All the projects in this book use a little bit of rubbish and a lot of other materials that you'd have to acquire. Also, for us, we basically don't create the trash that the projects require. Or, the project takes like two bottle tops to make something, which is cool, but doesn't do much to reduce landfill waste. So anyway, it wasn't as inspiring as I thought. (But perhaps might be better for the soda-drinking/beer-drinking/plastic-bag-using crowd.)
Rachel
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I actually went to the library to check another book called "Alternacrafts" and thought this one looked more interesting. This would be a great book for library teen programming craft projects as I've seen similar projects on Pinterest boards. This book is a good way to recycle every day items like old LPs, license plates, corks, credit cards, board games etc. 4 stars.
Katie
May 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
i was very disappointed in this book. i thought it would include items that were more useful and less decorative. i felt like some of the projects used trash to make knick knacks that would sit around a collect dust before they were thrown away.
Marcia
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: grown-up-books, ya, crafts
Some neat upcycled projects here, with a definite 20-something slant. A clutch made out of lawn chair webbing was very cool, a bracelet out of cut up credit cards, eeh. Most require tools, and a few skills. I was looking for middle school maker space ideas, only found a couple.
Sarah Kingston
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Some fun (and somewhat cutesy) projects for using things that would normally go into the trash or recycling, such as license plates, corks, glass bottles, credit cards, etc. I don't think I'll make any of them, but it's nice to get the juices flowing.
Marian
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun recycling craft book with interesting crafts
Bunny
Oct 02, 2009 marked it as to-read
I love the idea of recycling junk into useful (sometimes useless!) things.
Rebekah
Apr 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Im in it, so how could I not love it? But honestly, there are some great projects and pieces in here. Kate did a great job of collaborating and showcasing her idea. Bravo
stephanie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
rubbish goin' on my rubbish shelf. hoorah!
Denni
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: how-to, decorating
Great illustrations, fun ways to reuse just about anything. I liked the purse made out of an old sweater on p. 57, the lamp shade made out of old negatives on p. 89.
Dana
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is ok, but I don't think I would make any of the projects that it includes. There are several jewelry projects if you like to make jewelry.
Elissa
Sep 05, 2015
Tarra Anzalone
Feb 06, 2017

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
The Aquent Creative Team is now the AGI Training Team from American Graphics Institute. They are the creators of the Digital Classroom book series published by Wiley, and deliver training classes through the American Graphics Institute. They are available for in-person presentations at events, seminars, or training classes."
More about Kate Shoup...