Start by marking “The Heart of June” as Want to Read:
The Heart of June

The Heart of June

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Living above the garage of his former wife and her new husband, Walt Farnham has never been one to finish things, not even a divorce. In fact, the closest he’s come to a steady anything is as caretaker for Hardwick, the grand old family home of the heiress, Miss June Bonwell Creighton.

Although Miss June is a stern mistress, Walt responds to her demands with good-natured in
Published November 12th 2013 by Braddock Avenue Books

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of June, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of June

Nancy
An enjoyable book set in Pittsburgh. Walt is a guy who can't seem to finish anything (sounds like some men I know). He didn't complete his advanced degree, his university teaching job, many carpentry and handy man project, not even his marriage. Though divorced, he still lives in the garage apartment of the house he shared with his ex-wife, who has remarried. Though there are lots of characters, Walt's primary and longest relationship is with Miss June, the Pittsburgh doyenne who took Walt in af ...more
Jenn Watts
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a nice read but not something I'd run out and tell my friends "You've got to read this!" The characters were decent although some less believable than others. The bigger appeal to me was the Pittsburgh setting. As a transplant to Pittsburgh several years ago who has fallen in love with the area I really enjoyed how the author wove in the history and the landscape of the city into the story.
Brooke
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So much of contemporary fiction right now is bleakly cynical, in the midst of all that The Heart of June comes as a wonderful breath of fresh air.
This book manages to be genuinely heartwarming and charming while never crossing the line into undue sentimentality. All of the characters in this book are delightfully quirky and really feel like old friends by the time you've finished reading.
I definitely recommend reading this book, and I cannot wait to see what Mason Radkoff has for us next.
Barbara
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I live in Pittsburgh so I enjoyed the setting of the story. I was impatient with the protagonist, but upon reflection I acknowledge that he had a dismal childhood. That might be responsible for his quirky work habits. I think his ex-wife and her new husband are simply unbelievable characters - who can be that calm and unflappable?
Emily Lewis
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was simultaneously easy to read yet educated and compelling with beautiful prose and pulls the reader through his character's life. A Pittsburgher would easily be able to visualize the book through its descriptions of places and landmarks woven into the narrative.
John
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
5 star characters and dialogue + 1 star plot and character development = 3 star review. The two main characters have an interesting way of interacting, but there's no real conflict. Think of It's a Wonderful Life without Mr. Potter and the bank examiner. Boring, right?
Amy
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the characters and especially the dialogue. I hope there's a sequel or another book coming soon!
Rebecca
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!! Really sold first novel with great character development. Looking forward to the next book by this author.
Cathy
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
My son wanted me to read this book, and I'm so glad he did. Set in Pittsburgh, it brought back wonderful memories of my son's youth and our family's of our trips to the city. Beautifully written!
Erin Cain