Start by marking “Blood Rose: A Clare Hart Mystery” as Want to Read:
Blood Rose: A Clare Hart Mystery

Blood Rose: A Clare Hart Mystery

(Clare Hart #2)

Walvis Bay is a depressed and isolated port on the edge of the Namib Desert. Corrupt and claustrophobic, its shifting population consists of transients and vagabonds—people with no future and no past. When it seems that a methodical serial killer may be working undetected in this pit of darkness and desperation, police profiler Dr. Clare Hart is brought in to investigate. ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Witness Impulse (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Rose

Barbara McEwen
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa
3.5 stars - a talented writer, I thought it was less strong towards the end but I would pick up another of her books.
Jayne Bauling
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of Orford's Clare Hart thrillers that I've read, and the best yet. She's an author you can count on to deliver. Blood Rose is typically atmospheric, the evocative setting heightening the sense of menace that is one of Orford's trademarks.

Walvis Bay, the Namib Desert, fogs, winds, burning heat and old and dirty secrets - all contribute to the suspense, as a series of homeless boys' murdered bodies are discovered.

Then there is the charged relationship between Hart and Riedwaan Fa
Anna
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a good, topical vacation read
Guillermojimenezespneo
Digamos de entrada que los principales propagandistas del género pólicíaco son sus mismo autores. No abandonan para nada la zona confortable de sus relatos tremendistas, horrorizantes y adjetivos similares. Ahí entramos los lectores. Eso de la tensión narrativa, ese ocultar a lo largo de la narración datos para conservar el llamado interés ya me resultan un tanto, digámoslo sin tapujos, aburrido. Pero el talento palabrero, la secuencia lógica del transcurrir en tiempo y espacio de las acciones e ...more
Tessa
South African crime writer Margie Orford is a new favorite of mine. This is the second mystery of hers I have read. The first one was set in Cape Town and this one in Namibia. Each one involved Dr. Clare Hart, profiler of serial killers.

The narrative itself is well told. I was engaged to piece together the crime and to see how all of the pieces came together. I also enjoyed the characters, including Clare Hart.

If you know South/ern Africa, you will appreciate the details of place in this book. I
Jessica
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, part of the Clare Hart series, Clare Hart is called to act as profiler in a murder case in Walvis Bay. Two murdered teenage boys are found and Clare Hart needs to solve the mystery.

Similar to the other books in the Clare Hart series, this book is full of suspense. I found the other books in the series better, but maybe because they were set in Cape Town and surrounds which is more familiar to me than Walvis Bay. I also found the ending a bit blunt without explaining all the plots w
Mathilda
An interesting read, written by a South African writer. Dr. Clare Hart, a police profiler goes to Walvis Bay to help find the killer of four homeless boys. The sad life of this isolated town is vividly described and the people she meets, from a very pregnant local police officer to the orphans of the town are engaging, she also keeps you fascinated with her description of the slowly disappearing native culture to the desert. Unfortunately for me it is yet another Aids story woven into a otherwis ...more
Dianne
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I just love Margie Orford's style - great romping good reads..
This one is no exception - a page turner and some interesting historical notes and social history. This is my 2nd Clare Hart book - although the stories are faultless, the endings aren't quite as slick. However, this doesnt detract from Orford's genius as a story teller - she has to be one of the world's best crime writers - keep them coming!
Al
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only the 2nd of her novels that I have read and have to confess to enjoying it immensely.
Written by a Namibian and set in Namibia it was brought to life with great descriptions of the countryside/Namib. It is another Dr Clare Hart novel where she is still involved with Capt Riedwaan Faizal of SAPS.

Rachel Nowakowski
I do love these characters. This one definitely focussed on the female perspective in contrast to the last book. I have a soft spot for Riedwaan and so glad he came into the story halfway through. It is difficult to read about the way human life, especially that of children, is treated so lightly, but Margie Orford writes sensitively about this subject and brings it right to our attention.
Kim
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Clare Hart series. She goes to another part of Africa to help solve serial murders of children. it kind of reminds me of Law and Order SVU with an international flair. Well written, and a good mystery.
Arja Salafranca
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr Clare Hart is back in the second crime thriller to feature this feisty documentary-maker and police profiler. Set in Namibia, where Orford herself grew up. Blood Rose delivers a read that is thrilling and satisfying.
Kathy Manten
Nov 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Great characters. Lovely, concise descriptions of the areas in which the story was set.
Rana
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great use of setting to really anchor the story. Loving this series.
Judith Klinger
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rock solid detective thriller. Set in South Africa, the omnipresent violence is a character unto itself. Addictive.
Jolieg G
Vond het een aardig boek maar op het laatst wat langdradig worden.
Lynne
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Cant wait to get into her other books...
Ennie
rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Payback
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • Icarus (Benny Griessel, #5)
  • Blessed Are the Dead  (Detective Emmanuel Cooper #3)
  • Wake Up Dead (Cape Town #2)
  • The First Rule of Survival (Col Vaughn de Vries, #1)
  • Looking on Darkness
  • Portrait with Keys: The City of Johannesburg Unlocked
  • Wolf, Wolf
  • Thirteen Cents
  • Nineveh
  • Dark Whispers
  • Out of Bounds
  • Red Dust
  • The Leopard's Prey (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #4)
  • The Weight of Numbers
  • Cry for Help
Margie Orford is a journalist, film director and author of children’s fiction, non-fiction and school text books.

She was born in London and grew up in Namibia and South Africa, studying at UCT where she wrote her final exams in prison while detained during the State of Emergency. After travelling widely, she did an honours degree at UCT, then worked in publishing in the newly-independent Namibia,

Clare Hart (5 books)
  • Like Clockwork (Clare Hart, #1)
  • Daddy's Girl (Clare Hart, #3)
  • Gallows Hill (Clare Hart, #4)
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)