Start by marking “The 15th Star (A Lisa Grace History-Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 15th Star (A Lisa Grace History-Mystery, #1)

The 15th Star

(History Mystery #1)

Based on the real-life history-mystery of the missing star from the Star Spangled Banner

Set during the War of 1812:

In the fall of 1809 Grace Wisher, a young slave girl, escapes the plantation to live her life in the port city of Baltimore, Maryland. She is indentured to Mary Pickersgill who teaches her the skill of sewing flags and standards. Yet Grace is hiding a terrible
Paperback, 1, 256 pages
Published November 5th 2013 by CreateSpace for Lisa Grace Books

To ask other readers questions about The 15th Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 15th Star

Start your review of The 15th Star (A Lisa Grace History-Mystery, #1)
Great plot. The relationship aspect was rushed, but the mystery was well done.

But...please, please, please, e-book authors, employ a proofreader. Nothing is more distracting from an otherwise compelling story than constant punctuation and homonym errors. To is not the same word as too, no matter how many times you write it that way.
R.M.
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of history and historical fictions. I also like mysteries. I was intrigued at the synopsis of this “history-mystery.” When done well, the combination can be amazing, it can keep you on the edge of your seat and keep you riveted to the page or the screen.

The story of The 15th Star is a compelling one. Borrowing her plot lines from history, Ms. Grace brings together truths and fiction to weave together a story spanning two centuries. When Grace Wisher, a slave girl on a cotton plantati
Cathy
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
This is described, by the author, as a history/mystery. It combines elements of real history with fictional parts to make a whole story.
The 15th star is from the flag which flew over Ft. McHenry during the war of 1812. It was the flag praised in the anthem, Star Spangled Banner, written by Francis Scott Key.
Mrs. Armistead, wife of the fort's commander, gave away parts of the flag to those she considered heroes. Years later, when the flag was remade with the pieces, the 15th star was, and is stil
Becky
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is interesting and the plot well thought out. The characters are engaging. Unfortunately the author needs an editor. The grammar switches from present tense to past tense and back again with no regard for good writing among other problems. Some of the situations are unlikely, but for a quick read with an interesting and little known historical event this is a good read.
Crimson
Nov 29, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The bones of the plot are good, but this reads like a very very rough draft.
Erica
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entered, first-reads
This is a first-reads review.
I love historical pieces and a mystery is even better. Sometimes these types of books spend too much time in one period, thereby neglecting the other. But not The 15th Star. Each period (the War of 1812 and present day) was given equal attention. Grace is the main character during the 1812 sections and Keiko is the star (no pun intended) during the present day. Keiko has discovered clues to the location of the missing 15th star on the flag that was the inspiration fo
Stacy
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A nice little book that I picked up free for my Kindle. I always love a tidbit about history that I never knew and this book definitely fit that bill. It's about an indentured servant named Grace, who worked for Mary Pickersgill. I had no idea who that was until I read the book! Mary Pickersgill and some of her female relatives sewed the flag that flew over Fort McHenry at the onset of the War of 1812 - the flag that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled banner. This book had a n ...more
Betty
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My heart was racing

My heart was racing

This is a great story. I was so caught up in the story from the first line on. I went to bed, but got back up to finish it. I could not believe I had gotten to know and love the people as I had. The slaves had a very hard live, but one did not give up. This is a story that is filled with History ,but some things were charged to make it fit and not put others not involved in bad light. Read the book to find out more information about the 15 th Stare and all t
Patricia Poupart
Loved this book! It kept me enthralled and I had a hard time putting it down! I did not know about the 15th Star being missing from the flag. I hope to go to Washington, DC one day to visit the Smithsonian to see it.
ABCme
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, favorites
This is one of the most impressive novels I've read in a long time. It combines the history of American flag making, slave workers and British invasions with modern day discoveries at the Smithsonian. It's fast paced, exciting, emotional and totally recommended!
Kimberly
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The characters, the historical aspect combined with the modern day mystery. I was drawn in quickly and i couldn't put it down.
Tralisa Mcneal
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last weekend. This was an awesome read. I was glad that the author took the time to write a book that included a black in American history.
Kayra
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical part was fascinating. I thought the romance was unnecessary. Great book
Jeanne
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and the charters in it. I would like to see these charters as a series of books on historical hunt. I always hate to see fun charters end.
Grace
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, some history about the missing 15 star of the Star Spangled Banner Flag. It is fiction, but was still enjoyable. Set in the time of the wars of 1812
Annie Drewello
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I just got back from a road trip where we saw the actual Star Spangled Banner. The plot was interesting, combining a true historical mystery with modern characters. The execution was lacking. It was almost as if the author couldn't decide if it was a historical thriller or a romance novel. The main character read as a "Mary Sue" where she could do no wrong but had a tragic past and saved the day despite it all. And the romance plot was unnecessary and far fetched. Who pr ...more
Jennifer Erwin
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
I got this book I don't even know how many years ago, and FINALLY decided I needed to move it out of my TBR collection. Well...it's getting moved all right. Into my Couldn't finish/Didn't like collection. I think I got this because of another book I liked from the author and the description read that it was like a cross between 1776 and National Treasure. Now I LOVE National Treasure. Adore it. It's a really cute movie. But I don't like to read about that kind of stuff. I especially don't like t ...more
Esther Tyler
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging

A well-written engaging history mystery. Almost disappointing at the end to find out it was pretty much all fictionalized. Would have liked to have seen a stronger Christian emphasis but there were no objectionable issues either.
Deanne Replogle
Lots of errors

Good story, but starts out very slow. Also, there were a lot of grammatical errors, including the correct tense of verbs which I found very irritating.
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quit on this halfway through. I enjoyed reading Grace's story, but could not bring myself to spend the time necessary to wade through Keiko's nonsense.
Lori Henrich
This was a pretty good. I like the mystery. I liked the history aspect. I did feel like the majority of the story was on the history part and not so much mystery. Clean story with a bit of romance thrown in with the mystery. Bit of a Christian focus as well.
Tom Blubaugh
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very good read. No spoiler alert here. You'll have to experience this creative writing to see how Lisa Grace weaves the past and present together to make history and fiction work in unity. Very creative writing.
Carolyn Injoy
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of history
Recommended to Carolyn by: free kindle edition from Amazon
The 15th Star (A Lisa Grace History - Mystery) Lisa Grace, almost a five star.

Based on the real - life history - mystery of the missing star from the Star Spangled Banner.

us flag in 1812 that inspired the star spangled banner photo: Star Spangled Banner Publication1.jpg

Set during the War of 1812 about a young slave, Grace Wisher, who escapes a plantation, goes to work as an indentured servant for a flag maker Mrs. Pickersgill. She has a troubled & painful life & has a secret that will carry forward into the present day. It's a secret that is worth killing for. History rolls into the futur
Rachel
Some people somehow have the idea that this is about the Civil War (because Grace is a slave?)..Not so, this is about the War of 1812. While the book is fictional...it is based on fact. You'll have to read it to find out what is fact and fiction :)
I like books about the South, Civil War, etc. not so much revolutionary war, etc. so wasn't sure when I downloaded it to my Kindle how I'd feel about it. The price was right, though (freebie)so I decided nothing ventured-nothing gained. Well, I absol
Marilyn Turk
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought the story was very good and kept me reading. However, as I've noticed other reviewers mention, it is obvious this is the author's first book. She really needed a proofreader for the whole thing, even though she mentions several published authors who mentored her. Misspelled words and tense changes were very distracting, and I was embarrassed for her because the story itself was good and well-paced. I also thought all the military stuff and fight in the basement was a bit over the top t ...more
Joleen
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting historical fiction book much of which was set around the war of 1812, with a present day storyline of a woman researching the characters from the past. Keiko was trying to find letters and documentation hoping to find the missing 15th star from the giant flag flown over the skies during that battle (Star Spangled Banner)
Interesting, however neither the writing styles nor romantic plot in present time were riveting.
But if I were 18, I would probably have loved it.
Easy book to read. N
Lisa Harber
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love!!

I absolutely could hardly put this book down! I loved the historical background from which this book was written, and I honestly felt like I was transported back in time. I fell in love with the characters, and felt like Grace deserved so much better than what life gave her. This novel was also a lot of fun and exciting waiting for the mystery of the lost star to be unraveled! I was sad it had to end. I am excited to read more of your work.
Anniethecavie
Sep 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, kindle
This book started off good in the historical chapters about a slave. Then it flips to the story of a young woman who works at the Smithsonian. After briefly introducing her colleagues who she works with, it flips into some lusty language about her attraction to one of them. Was not quite baked. Abandoned it for a better read.
Jack D. Mason
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read,showing the realities of post-war life

A great read,showing the realities of post-war life

It's so sad sometimes to be an adult and know that things are not as simple and honorable as they seemed as a child. This book illustrates that in a very respectful way. Very recommended, history mystery!
Lex
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
The mystery upon which this book is based is interesting, but the love story, which I felt a little beat-over the head with as the reader, could have been a little, I dunno... subtler, maybe. More mystery, less moon-eyed wishing and internal dialogue from the main modern character would have made this book more tolerable.

• The Country Inn Mystery (Jenny Starling, #7)
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • Shepherd's Warning (The Elders Book #1)
  • Far Side of the Sea
  • Wonderland Creek
  • Courting Mr. Emerson
  • Living Lies (Harbored Secrets #1)
  • A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
  • Though Waters Roar
  • The Hope of Azure Springs
  • Tag (The Zumar Chronicles, #1)
  • Not by Sight (Ozark Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • Back to War (Corps Justice, #1)
  • Orphan Train Trials (Hearts on the Rails, #2)
  • The Keeper of Secrets (Detective Arla Baker #2)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Never Let Go (Uncommon Justice #1)
I have two new releases:
12 Angels by Christmas: Sweet Christmas Romance which just came out in paperback also.
FEUDAL LAND, Book 1 has been released as an ebook. The 6th part of the FEUDAL LAND serial is available too.

Stories on the Go is #FREE for everyone. My Christian Sci-Fi story the "Trouble with Tribble" is in it.

The paperback of The 15th Star (A Lisa Grace History Mystery) is available and

History Mystery (2 books)
  • True Treasure (History Mystery #2)