Start by marking “Viscount's Wager (Gambling on Love, #3)” as Want to Read:
Viscount's Wager (Gambling on Love, #3)

Viscount's Wager (Gambling on Love #3)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  337 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
London, 1822

You never forget your first love, but is a second chance worth the gamble?

Anthony, Viscount Rawling, knows exactly what he wants in life and he isn't above having a look about London for it. When he spots recently widowed Gabriel Tilden at a ton function, he thinks he might have found love…again.

Gabriel is as gorgeous and reserved as he was when he broke Anthon
Published August 10th 2015 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Viscount's Wager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Viscount's Wager

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Gambling on Love is one of my favorite M/M series, and I've been anticipating Anthony and Gabriel's story for months.

I'm a slut for Ava March books; they are the perfect blend of sharp writing, dirty sex, and romantic fluff.

"Don't," Gabriel begged. "Please, don't ... I will give you everything I can. Everything that I am."

As in the other two books in the series, the dual POV works very well here. I'm not sure I could have forgiven Gabriel for how he initially treated Anthony had I not b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Ava March, my sweet, sweet Ava March. You are usually so spot on! Perhaps my own personal feelings came into play here but I wanted to SLAP Gabriel for most of the story!

I'm the kind of girl who doesn't forget easily. You screw me over and I'm going to glare at you for the next bazillion times that we see each other. Now, I'm too much of a wimp to actually say or do anything, but you can bet I'm telling you off inside my head. Harshly.

When Gabriel broke Anthony's heart as a teenager, I was rea
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
BR with The Adam

Primarily what I'm feeling is an overwhelming sense of ambivalence.

I didn't love it or hate it.

Actually, I was flummoxed as to why I was having such a blasé reaction to this story until Max and Tristan made an appearance. If I'm completely honest, what I enjoyed most were the parts with the couples from books 1 and 2. The minute, the second Max started getting all bossy and grumble-y I knew.

It's these characters. I'm a character person. Give me at least one good character that I
Adam
BR with my Wench

I had to push myself to get through the first 60% of 'Viscount's Wager', but the remaining 40% was quite good. After seeing a part of Anthony's story in the preceding book, Sharp Love, I was really looking forward to reading book 3 in the Gambling on Love series.

I had mixed feelings about the initial set-up of Gabriel and Anthony's story. The prologue was heartbreaking. It was awful seeing Anthony's hopes dashed in such a short span of time. But I couldn't help but roll
Ami
Viscount's Wager is the third (and I assumed the last) book in Ava March's "Gambling in Love" series. Consider that I truly have bad memory about details, I honestly didn't remember much about the previous two books. However, I had no problem at all being immersed to the love story between Anthony Hawkins, the Viscount Rawling, and Lord Gabriel Tilden.

Seven years ago, Anthony and Gabriel shared their first intimate kiss. Anthony, only sixteen at that time, compared to Gabriel's eighteen, have
CrabbyPatty
Ava March is one of my go-to writers of steamy M/M historical romance, with All In with the Duke being one of my guilty pleasures. So I was somewhat surprised to rate Viscount's Wager as ... meh. I mean, it was .... okay ...

I didn't find Anthony or Gabriel particularly memorable and the pace of the book felt slow as they both spent far too much time mourning (and over-analyzing) their oh-so-brief kiss back when they were teenagers. While it was great to catch up with Tristan and Max, as well as
Pjm12
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
The two main characters, Gabriel and Anthony have quite different personalities, and deep secrets they are loathe to share. This works very well in a book where we have alternating points of view.

We see Anthony's teasing affectionate nature through Gabriel's eye, but when Anthony is narrating, we see his worry, his concern about Gabriel and his estate, even if he continues to ignore his duties.

Gabriel, through Anthony's eyes is a growling, deeply emotional creature who both surprises and perplex
Caz
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that's 3.5 stars and I'm rounding up.

Viscount’s Wager
is the third book in Ava March’s Gambling on Love series, but even though characters from earlier books appear in it, I don’t think it’s essential to have read them to understand this one. It’s a well-told and engaging story and I enjoyed reading it, but the pacing around the middle of the book drags somewhat and the big secret being kept by one of the protagonists is allowed to go on for a bit too long, whic
Veronica of V's Reads
I really enjoyed this historical M/M romance set in 1820s London.

Anthony, Viscount Rawling, has known since he was young that he preferred men--and mostly, that he preferred Gabriel Tilden, elder brother of his childhood friend Pearce, above all other men. They shared one kiss seven years ago, while Anthony stayed at the Tilden's over a summer party, and Gabriel promptly married a woman. Now, Anthony has the occasion to see the recently widowed Gabriel as he escorts his sister around London.

Ga
Didi

This was a conflicting book for me. I'm not gonna say outright I hated it, but I didn't find the leading characters endearing. At all. It's not that I dislike people with disadvantage or poor (as in not having many blunt or material thingy) characters, but weak resolves and continuous poor decisions as shown here? Boy did they raise my hackles!

Yes, yes, they finally finally solved their problems and willing to open up and reach for help. But by that point it all happened I'd been too e
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical
Sweet and sexy. A little slow in the first half but I liked these two heroes.
Verity
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, historical-mm

[image error]darcy cravat

My shoe-in to MM was historical romance and Ava March in particular. Going back to one of her books feel warm, fuzzy and familiar and this one is no exception. Avid March readers are rewarded by the appearance of characters we had met in previous books, so there's a fair amount of dusting off those little grey cells, but it's also interesting to see the MC's from a different perspective.
Maybe the whole plot line of gambling debts wasn't a favorite and you could see the conclusion a
4 Stars

I received a free eARC from Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is exactly what I expect from an Ava March historical. It was super sexy and full of drama. Anthony and Gabriel had some major obstacles to overcome and I thought everything was handled in a realistic, satisfying manner. I also loved the way that the author included earlier couples from the series.
Annelise Lestrange
Viscount’s Wager is the third and last volume on Gambling on Love series and is set on Regency London, in 1822. Anthony Hawkins, Viscount Rawling, was already introduced in the first book, All In With The Duke and Gabriel Tilden, his pair, was introduced in the second book of the series, Sharp Love.

Anthony is a noble who doesn’t pay much attention to his duties as a viscount, as he has a huge secret to keep – something way bigger than his social status. Since he inherited the title, at the age o
Sophia
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Dare he hope that this time around the widower, Gabriel Tilden, will choose him? Or will he leave Anthony with a crushed heart and hopes like last time. It has been seven years since the young Anthony fell for Gabriel, but learned that his love was not returned. In the meantime, he moved to London, ascended to the Viscountcy on his father's death, took care of his family, and continued his search for The One. One glimpse of Gabriel lets him know that he was very much right the first time.

Gabriel
Katie(babs)
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Ava March writes some of the best gay historical romance I’ve ever read. Her love scenes crackle with emotion and intensity, and she has a great skill at writing Regency romance. I loved the dynamic of the main couple in Viscount’s Wager (Gambling on Lover #3), how the younger man is more self assured and sexually experienced, including his patience with a man he has loved ever since he was a teenager.

At sixteen, Anthony developed a crush on his good friend’s older brother, Gabriel. When Gabriel
Amanda
”Anthony had glanced over his shoulder---a wide grin on his mouth, eyes sparkling with pure joy---and caught Gabriel’s gaze. And in that brief moment, Gabriel’s entire world had shifted on its axis.”
2.5-3 stars

This had so much potential!!! From the hopeful and ultimately heartbreaking prologue, to the angsty but passionate (almost) lovers’ reunion, as well as the many small but precious moments like the above mentioned quote had me believing this would be an amazing read.

Unfortunately, the exe
Jax
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, historical
Dull and repetitious. There's not much to this pairing aside from thinking about their first encounter, fantasizing about encounters, & having encounters. We see almost no relationship development apart from late night trysts. And the fact that a single episode involving skinny dipping and a kiss when they were both teenagers colored the next seven years of their lives was just ridiculous.
Viv
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
BR with Alissa

I love visiting Ava March's Regency world. We see some of our old friends in this one. The sex was hot, but not as hot as some of her other books (see Bound series or All in With the Duke). I greatly enjoyed this one, even though I wanted to smack Gabriel more than once. Anthony was almost a too good to be true MC.
Marlobo
4,5 stars

From my standpoint, Gambling on Love Series has been improving with every book. I loved this book, the pairing is utterly plausible; actions, concealments, senses of guilt, inner strugglings are consistent with the Era.

I'm hopeful that this isn't the end of the Series. Some secondary characters fuel my hopes.
B
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely ending to this great trilogy , nice seeing the 3 original couples in this last book.
Jewel
Nov 09, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Secret Santa!!! <3
Salsera1974
I did not finish so I will not rate. It was simply unbearably dull. My job is hard, life is short, and I don't want to be bored while doing my favorite thing. Next.
Denise
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2016
Seven years ago, Gabriel Tilden broke Anthony's heart. Now he's back in town - newly widowed, still just as attractived as when the two of them last parted and very obviously inclined to return the feelings Anthony still has for him despite what happened between them. Might Anthony get a second chance to be with his first love?

I adored Anthony ever since the first book in the trilogy and had been looking forward to his story, but unfortunately it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I just d
Claudia
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, m-m, historical, romance
i really liked the first two books in this series, so I was excited to get my hands on this one. And although I didn't like it as much as the others, it was still a very good read.
but it took some time for me to really appreciate it. The first half was a bit difficult for me
but the second half was great
so all in all a 4 star read.
and I will read more books by Ava March
Lily
Jul 30, 2015 rated it liked it
2.9 stars rounded up. I had a difficult time reading this book, mostly because Gabriel never truly endeared himself to me as a character. Anthony was much more interesting and could have benefited from a more solid partner. But things worked out reasonably well in the end.
DaisyGirl
2.5 dismal stars

I love Ava March's work but this one tanked. I never really got into the story. I was quite bored and ambivalent about the outcome. Gabriel was as exciting as a doorknob. And both he and Anthony had bouts of idiocy. Niiiiice. Not!

Bottom line: No go.
Emily Seelye
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5. Really good, but I had to keep stepping away out of anger towards one of the main characters. Had a very satisfying HEA.
*~*~*Hyperion*~*~*
True rating: 4.5 - Thoughts to come this week :-).
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
kindle pre-order 1 9 Dec 01, 2014 11:53AM
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • A Minor Inconvenience
  • The Gentleman and the Lamplighter
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • A King Undone (Noble Pleasures #1)
  • One Indulgence (Indulgence, #1)
  • Dangerous Spirits (Spirits #2)
  • On a Lee Shore
  • A Rose By Any Other Name (Fallen Rose, #2)
  • The Lion of Kent
Ava March is a bestselling author of sexy, emotionally intense M/M historical erotic romances. She loves writing in the Regency time period, where proper decorum is of the utmost importance, but where anything can happen behind closed doors. With over fifteen works to her credit, her books have been finalists in the Rainbow Awards and More Than Magic contest, and deemed ‘must-haves’ for Historical ...more
More about Ava March

Gambling on Love (3 books)
  • All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love, #1)
  • Sharp Love (Gambling on Love, #2)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“You’re so beautiful, Anthony.” A press of lips to Anthony’s collarbone. “So handsome.” A kiss on the point of his pulse. “So...everything.” Anthony had never felt more cherished in all his life. I’ve found him. The knowledge sank into his bones. He had found the one.” 0 likes
“Yet still, yet even knowing he had caused Anthony pain again, he hadn’t been able to turn around and return to Anthony. He had wanted to, though. Wanted to still be in that bed with Anthony. Still have those strong arms holding him even in sleep. Though it was for the best he had left. If he wasn’t with Anthony, then he couldn’t hurt the man.” 0 likes