Start by marking “Descendant (Makai Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Descendant (Makai Series #1)

Descendant

(Makai Series #1)

For 15 years, Tristan has tried to cope with hearing the thoughts of others. But that was child's play compared to what he must do now. When an old woman appears with a murderer hot on her trail, Tristan is thrust into a world of trickery and manipulation.

With secret societies tracking his every move, Tristan must find the possessed emerald he was destined to protect and
Published December 16th 2013 by Featherfoot Teen (first published December 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Descendant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descendant

Start your review of Descendant (Makai Series #1)
Bex 'n' Books
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reviewer: Tina
Disclosure: This ebook was provided by the author in exchange for an HONEST and not necessarily positive review.

Tristan, one of the main characters, doesn't know what is going on with him because he doesn't know what he really is. Even by the end of this book, he doesn't know hal
Kristin Ciullo
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-stars
This series has a lot of potential and was decent for a first book. I won't lie-- it's not the best debut novel that I've ever read but it's by far not the worst either.

Things I loved about the book:
--hints at a unique dragon mythology
I love dragons and while the mythology that has so far been presented in the series isn't wholly original (I was reminded of Seraphina) it's one that I have yet to see in any other books.
--the idea of plants having thoughts, feelings, and personalities
Many of
Kat
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 15 and upwards Fantasy genre
Recommended to Kat by: Nerd Girl
Shelves: books-reviewed

These are my own opinions and I received no compensation for this review...

Tristan is not your typical fifteen year old boy, his reality is that of living with a trailer trash drugged up single mum, and if dealing with trying to fit in at school isn't hard enough, he has to work as well, while trying to work out what people are actually saying amongst the constant chatter of everyone's thoughts and it's driving him crazy. In the end he decides to put an end to it... But fate intervenes and sudde
Isis
I would like to thank both The Cover Contessa and Toni Kerr for the opportunity to read Ms. Kerr's book in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this ebook for free that has not influenced my review in any way.

With secret societies
Mati
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for letting me read it!

I debated for a long time what to rate this book. Sometimes I liked it a bit more than others, and by the end we had a bit of a lukewarm relationship. I didn't hate it, but I'll be honest, I spent most of the book feeling really confused. The writing was fine, but the plot, organization and general structure of the story left me a little uncertain.

I understand that some
Tina
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in this series and it took me on a adventure I wasn't expecting. It takes you to the world that has fairies and dragons but they live among the humans and no human knows about them. Tristan, one of the main characters doesn't know what is going on with him because he doesn't know what he really is. Even by the end of this book he doesn't know half of what he is capable to do. Dorian, she is different and has only lived on her island. She can do amazing things but I believe ...more
Cheri
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book!!! It was exciting and fun to read! It kept you on your toes ready to find out what would happen next! I was taking any chance I could to read it! I have read books with the similar part of a boy being taken from his average life and going on an adventure, but this book was unique with the interesting and attention grabbing experiences the boy faces along the way. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes a little bit of mystery, and m ...more
Chantale Canadian Book Addict
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
At the beginning of the book I thought I wouldn't like this book but as I kept reading it I started liking it more and I ended up staying up late because I just couldn't stop reading it. Now I can't wait for the next book in this series to come out.

It is very well written and if you love young adults novels that is fantasy and has suspense and action then I highly recommend this one.
Michelle
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads-books
This is my favorite book so far this year. The prose and the story had a nice flow. The story is a mix of Avatar and the Hobbit with a dab of paranormal. A bit of romance and a healthy dollop of mystery are the finishing touches to this literary entrée. Bon appetit!
Ellie Lieberman
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first read a prequel to the Secrets of the Makai Series in The Playlist Anthology. After that short story, where I enjoyed learning about Tristan, I knew I had to pick up this book. It is also a book being carried in the bookstore I work at and I like to know the books I carry.

It has a similar feel to Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, while remaining unique. I enjoyed the characters greatly, especially Tristan. I enjoyed the twists and turns, the ongoing action that kept the book exciting all the
S. Nash
May 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews

Imagine that you’re telepathic. You hear the thoughts and voices of other people in your head all the time and you have no idea why. Are you crazy? Fifteen-year-old Tristan thinks he is, and when the pills he steals from his drug-addicted mother stop keeping the voices at bay, he plans a permanent escape from the insanity.

Tristan’s plan doesn't work. An old woma
Ryshia Kennie
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it

Tristan’s life is in shambles. He hears people’s thoughts and lives with a mother whose only interest seems to be alcohol. And on an island protected by the mysterious Makai, lives Dorian, a girl who lives with her Gram and a group of others where she is a plant whisperer to plants that communicate both with people and with each other.

It is on this island where young Tristan finds himself as he runs from old horrors and new realities. At first he believes he is alone but soon he discovers that
Margiezerr
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Filled with action, mystery, complex characters and an intriguing plot, this book leaves you wanting more. I especially appreciate the effort Ms. Kerr makes to get the reader to empathize with both Tristan and Dorian. By creating time jumps and a lack of information it makes the reader become an active and engaged reader, a trait which many books lack. Ms. Kerr expertly captures Tristan's frustration, triumphs, and confusion while keeping the humor alive so readers actually FEE ...more
Taylor
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a very good start to a new series. I will admit, at the beginning I was convinced I would not like it. However I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The reason why it is four stars is that even a third of the way though the book, I was somewhat confused. However soon after that, the pace picked up and everything started to connect. The plot was well thought out, and the characters actually developed thorughout the book (THANK YOU). Overall I would say to read it. I r ...more
Magus Tor
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
It wasn't an easy read initially as the beginning was about Tristan, a kid who is confused at whatever is going on around him so similarly I had a lot of confusion reading it too. It is only till about 25% down the road when things cleared up and I had the ahhh moment. From there onward, it was a great trip of action adventure. I enjoyed the story tremendously. I really recommend this to fantasy lover especially those who likes dragon story.
Chloe
I was sent a copy of this to review and I honestly feel so guilty because I just couldn't get into it, consequently I didn't finish it. I didn't enjoy the beginning because I don't think the characters and plot were introduced well enough, therefore I didn't feel like continuing it.
^.^
Jan 05, 2014
Jamie
Mar 22, 2014
David Ramsden
rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2019
Michelle McLean
Nov 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Toni Kerr lives with her husband, two dangerously creative children, and a fabulous Australian Shepherd in the Pacific Northwest. She loves the outdoors, horses, the high desert, Photoshop, music, salty things, and writing in the wee hours of morning when all is silent.

Makai Series (2 books)
  • Unleashed (Makai Series #2)