Start by marking “Outlaw” as Want to Read:
Outlaw

Outlaw (Robin Monarch #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
While conducting top-secret negotiations aboard a tanker in the South China Sea, the U.S. Secretary of State and the foreign ministers of China and India are kidnapped, and the tanker they are on is hijacked. The “Sons of Prophecy” take responsibility and issue an ultimatum: If their demands are not met in seven days, the three will be beheaded live on the Internet.

With th
Published August 26th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published October 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Outlaw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlaw

Jeffrey
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The action thriller genre is alive and well this winter. Case in point, the always entertaining, highly diverting and action packed Outlaw, the second book in Mark Sullivan's Rogue series.

Robin Monarch, call sign Rogue, is a thief, who joined the United States special forces, only to leave and once again become a thief, has been called to the White House. The Secretary of State, while meeting with similarly situated officials from China and India, has been kidnapped by pirates, who want untold m
Nick Brett
I kind of picked this up in error, having forgotten that I thought our introduction to Robin Monarch in "Rogue" was poorly put together. This is a slight improvement on that but it has some annoying elements that pull it back a bit. There are also a couple of typos that the publisher should have picked up on and removed. which didn't impact the story but came over as sloppy.

Anyway when terrorists snatch senior US, Indian and Chinese officials, Monarch and his small team are brought in as 'indepe
Lance Charnes
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of global-conspiracy thrillers
Some thrillers take a ripped-from-today’s-headlines scenario, tart it up, and turn it loose on a recognizable slice of the real world. If there’s disbelief to be suspended, it comes in small doses. Other thrillers, on the other hand, require you throw away that disbelief all in one chunk right up front, then let the plot unspool more-or-less naturally in the alternate world they set up – a world that looks like but doesn’t necessarily act like the world we live in.

Outlaw belongs to the second
Jackie
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must have been in the mood for something filled with action. And there was plenty of that to be had in this novel. And while this wasn't the best book I've read in a while, it certainly kept my attention.

I liked that the language that I so despise was kept to a minimum. I didn't like that the editing was so lacking - seriously, can't Minotaur pay more attention? All that money for a hardback and parts of it felt self-published the errors were so glaring.

Next time I'm ready for an adventure tha
Ash
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was my second taste of Mark Sullivan and his character Robin Monarch. I read the first book in the series, Rogue, about a year ago and I thought it was good but it didn’t quite grab me like some other similar books in the genre. However I was looking for something to read and the blurb for Outlaw sounded pretty interesting so I thought I’d give Monarch another go. And I am glad that I did because I really enjoyed it.

Outlaw is Mark Sullivan’s second thriller featuring ex-Special Forces and
Kathy
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Sullivan's Outlaw is an action packed and suspense laden political thriller. This second installment starring Robin Monarch is full of unexpected twists and turns that culminate in an unpredictable but very satisfying conclusion.

The non-stop thrill ride begins immediately as Robin Monarch enlists the aid of his eclectic but multi-talented crew to assist him as he begins his search for U.S. Secretary of State Agnes Lawton and the foreign ministers of China and India. Accompanied by Song Le a
Susan Beamon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good political thriller, and this one is right up there. Nothing is as it seems. Friends are working against you. Nobodies' motives are pure. Lines of force lead into very strange areas. Some are driven by religious leanings. Some are in it to pay back favors and gain future favors. Some just want more power and money. The book leads into the next story in a way that makes me want to seek out the next book.
Carol
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Robin Monarch is a thief. He is a member of the Brotherhood of Thieves. He has learned their 18 rule code of conduct. Robin is hired by the White House to find the Secretary of State. Along with China’s and India’s foreign ministers, the three are kidnapped while conducting top secret negotiations. The negotiations were taking place aboard a tanker in The South China Sea. A group who call themselves the “Sons of Prophecy” issue demands that need to be met in seven days or all three hostages will ...more
Carl
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this is more like it, big explosions, hand to hand combat, gun, knives , even freakin hatchets!!!
Robin Monarch is known as the thief, he,s ex CIA, ex Special Forces ultimate Superspy. This is the sort of
Shiny thing I like. Don't have to think to hard on this. Very entertaining but maybe a little long at 425 pages.
The plot is :three heads of state have been taken by Pirates during a secret meeting on an oil tanker.
One being Agnes Lawton from the good old US of A.
Monarch is freelance he will
DrMom
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I can't tell if I liked this book or not. It had the thrills of terrorists, seal team 6 and three special agents from the US, China, and India. It also had an unbelievable plot that tied up too loosely at the end. We are supposed to believe that three political ambassadors including the Secretary of State are secretly meeting on a shipping vessel on the South China Sea to reassure our closest allies that trade and politics would remain the same after the upcoming presidential election. Suddenly ...more
Susan
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
I don't read a whole lot of espionage/thriller type books, but the ones that I have I usually enjoyed. Outlaw just blew me away, and I found it very hard to put down. The action starts at the very beginning and the thrill ride never stops. Sullivan does a great job at keeping the story moving at a breakneck pace while still making the reader care about these characters. Despite all these horrible things going on, the reader gets to know Monarch and his team as well as the other major players esp ...more
Claire
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

When The Secretary of State, Agnes Lawson, and the foreign ministers of China and India are taken hostage the job comes to Robin Monarch to find them and bring them home. The Sons of Prophecy goes viral with the kidnap videos, and start attacking strategic locations. Robin and his team of super spies and thieves have only eight days before the Sons of Prophecy behead the Secretary of State and the othe
Mike
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I finished this novel sometime last week and still haven't decided if I like it or not. We are supposed to believe a somewhat unbelievable plot regarding three nation's ambassadors form a "secret meeting" that suddenly is ambushed and held hostage for the release of foreign prisoners...or something like that.

There are of course the obligatory "close calls" that seem to get repetitive but between these instances there is an actual story plot & arch. As usual I didn't realize until coming to
Cherie
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a "thriller" from the first moment when the female Secretary of State and several other foreign leaders are abducted during a supposedly "secret negotiation" meeting aboard a tanker in the South China Sea. The terrorists give the world 7 days to meet their demands before the diplomats will be beheaded. The CIA sends their chief asset, Robin Monarch to find them before the 7 days are up. Evidently, Sullivan has written a previous Robin Monarch book, but I have not read it. I li ...more
Danny Seipel
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected this to be a formulaic ex-Seals guy beats the nasties single-handed type book. And it was I guess, but better than the average. An entertaining, enjoyable read with a likeable protagonist.

I was going to give it three stars but then realised I hadn't noticed my tinnitus the whole time I was reading it. That means I was really engrossed in it. So, not high literature, but that wasn't what I was looking for. Home sick and wanted something to read that would distract me for a few hours an
Burt
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second of Mark Sullivan's Robin Monarch series and I found it to be every bit as good as the first. I only wish I could make due on as little sleep as Robin Monarch does and remain as little as one fourth as effective as he does. Yeah, yeah, I know; it's fiction right? So far, I'm really enjoying this series and hoping upon hope that the rest are as good as the first two. I will really be nice to find a thriller series I enjoy as much as I enjoy Lee Child's "Reacher" series.
Michael
Pretty darn cool! A thief saves the world. International plot. Reminds me a little of the Jason Bourne books (which is a good thing). I've been throwing rocks at the thrillers lately. But now am thinking I just got few bad ones. Or ones like the Jack Reacher series that have jumped the shark and done a backflip. Those writers could take some lessons from this guy. I'll check out some more from MS.
Kelly
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure-novels
Okay so Robin Monarch has nothing on any number of action/ adventure hero characters like Jack Reacher, Dirk Pitt, etc. There is barely any character development in this book, I know nothing about Monarch except that he was a street rat that wants to help an orphanage. That's it. This book has some fun action scenes but other than that there really isn't much tangible like ability in any of this. Disappointed. I really wanted another action series to latch onto with gusto.
David Teachout
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Like a combination of Iron Man 2 and the modern day Iraq war profiteering, this story grabs you from the beginning and keeps you wondering until the end and then even a little still. The characters are great, Robin is practically inhuman, but no more so than any other uber-spy in Hollywood films and still nuanced enough that he'd be fascinating to meet in person. The third book can't be started fast enough.
Angie Pierce
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the storyline but at times it was a bit of a slow read. It was well worth continuing and completing the book. I would have rated it five stars if the story did not slow down at times.
Jason Fryer
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a great second book in the series. Some of the weapon details were not super accurate (such as a .40 Glock 19) but that's nitpicky, I know. I look forward to reading the next adventure of Robin Monarch.
Christian
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
A well written fast paced thriller, without enough twists to keep the reader guessing. While one of the ultimate traitors is rather obvious, there is a lot more well hidden.
I'm certainly going to look for more books in this series.
Ron
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the library, since Mark Sullivan has co-authored with James Patterson and I wanted to see how he wrote.
How can one "thief/hero" survive so many disasters and still have a good ending that will lead into another book?
Christi Johnson
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Such a great book, couldn't put it down! Should so be a movie! This was on the lines of Jason Bourne meets Mission Impossible with a little bit of 007. Very well written with lots of twists and left me wanting more! I won this ARC book on a first reads giveaway on goodreads.com.
Martin Turner
Standard thriller from an author who has co-written with James Patterson. Far fetched and unrealistic plot, I found it hard to engage or feel sympathy with the main characters even given some of the situations into which they were put. Easy read however.
Judy
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the conclusion was not actually a conclusion as it appears that the story will continue. The hero (rogue or Monarch) seems very accomplished but also seems to be exceptionally lucky.
Jean
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast moving, action packed boom. Adored Robin "Rouge" Monarch and his cast of characters he trusted. Well worth reading!!
Felix
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was fast-paced thrill ride! I love the Monarch and his rogue attitude. I will surely read the first in this series....(I won this on the Goodreads Giveaways)
David Barkman
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Lust, Money & Murder (Lust, Money & Murder, #1-3)
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox, #4)
  • Element 42 (Sabel Security #3)
  • A Calm Before Storm (Derrick Storm Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Cuban Sun (Sofia Koury, #1)
  • The Depths
  • Eat What You Kill: A Novel
  • Stalked
  • Covert Dreams
  • Lost Girls (The Cellar, #2)
  • The Good Boy
  • Nightmare in Aurora: A Battle of Truth to Power
  • Double Dare
  • Resurrected (Adam Wolf Thriller, #1)
  • Everyone Dies Alone
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)
  • Secrets Lost: Secrets Remembered
  • The Muse Unlocked
Mark T. Sullivan (b. 1958) is an author of thrillers. Born in a Boston suburb, he joined the Peace Corp after college, traveling to West Africa to live with a tribe of Saharan nomads. Upon returning to the United States, he took a job at Reuters, beginning a decade-long career in journalism that would eventually lead to a job as an investigative reporter for the San Diego Tribune.

Sullivan spent th
More about Mark T. Sullivan...

Robin Monarch (3 books)
  • Rogue (Robin Monarch, #1)
  • Thief (Robin Monarch, #3)