Start by marking “What Does the Fox Say?” as Want to Read:
What Does the Fox Say?

What Does the Fox Say?

Do you know what the fox says? Based on the hugely popular YouTube video with more than 200 million views, this picture book is packed full of foxy fun.

Dog goes woof. Cat goes meow. Bird goes tweet and mouse goes squeak.
But what does the fox say?

The lyrics of Ylvis's YouTube sensation 'The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)' meet Svein Nyhus's playful illustrations in this irre
Published December 10th 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Does the Fox Say?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Does the Fox Say?

Start your review of What Does the Fox Say?
Jo Ann

Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!
Jacha-c
Melki
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, I've never before bought a book emblazoned with the words Based on the YouTube sensation, so there's that...

The illustrations are pretty nifty, and I love the limited color palette, but the whole project seems to have a cheapo-thrown-together look to it; as we all know, Simon's Shoestore was in a hurry to get this out in time for the Xma$ season.

Eh...it's not my thing, BUT...

The kid I bought it for will love it, and that's all that matters.
Isa Lavinia
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Unless you're living under a rock (lucky you in this case) you've already heard Ylvis viral music video The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?), which spanned a thousand memes - a few of them quite funny:

Much like Andrew Kolb, who illustrated the lyrics to David Bowie's Space Oddity (a work of genius, I need to review that one!), Svein Nyhus illustrated Ylvis' What Does the Fox Say? which, I must admit, makes for a very good read for children.

I absolutely LOVE Nyhus' illustrations - I'm not a fan of t
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Yes!!! there's actually a book! Now you can know all the words...LOL.

Actually, its a cute book for the little ones.
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
I don't think I can adequately review this book because it's appeal is based more on the fact that it is literally an illustrated children's book with the lyrics for the song "What does the Fox Say?" HOWEVER when I saw I could pick it up for $1.49 second hand, was I all over that. HELLS YES. I mean the illustrations are good and it's probably fun to read to kids because it's ridiculous.
Sylvester
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
2* art
5* song

This was just my way of introducing Squirt to an awesome song. The book is meh, the song is fantastic. Squirt did cartwheels, and I tried to teach him to moonwalk (my only dance move). Mission accomplished.
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Do I or don't I? On one hand, my daughter LOVES the video, but on the other...once I hear her sing it, it's stuck in my head for daaaaaays.

__________________________________________

By now, surely you've all seen the YouTube video that inspired this book.  I was only directed toward it in the last month or so, but once I showed it to my daughter, it was played on a daily basis in my house.  And the song is now stuck in my head forever as a result.

As with most YouTube sensations, it started out in
marlene
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm norwegian - of course I had to read Ylvis' book :)

Ok, so I wouldn't really count this as a read.. Well, not like a book for my goodreads challenge anyways. There's not a lot of text, but a lot of fun art. I bought it for my niece for christmas and I think she'll love it! When we ask her "Hva sier reven?" (what does the fox say) she answers "Ringe ding ding" hahaha, she loves the song.

I'm guessing this book will be under a lot of christmastrees in Norway this year and a lot of kids will be v
Mere
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book go really well, with the words/lyrics of the song.

I enjoyed reading this picture book.

But what does the fox say?
Jason Sharp
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Who was this written for?

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out who would want to read this. I'm not saying that to be offensive, I think there is a reader for every book, but I'm not sure who this is meant to appeal to.

The song and music video are entertaining, but there really are no lyrics to speakof and that's all the text that is included here. The book can't ever get that right, some of the written text doesn't match the song and most of the "What does the Fox Say" lyrics are remove
Samantha A
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

How do you rate a book like this?
Do I love the annoyingly catchy song? Why, yes I do!

The illustrations were brilliant, and the lyrics are obviously catchy.

Oh, what the hell. 5 stars all around!

Sandi Faulconbridge
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, 2014, picture-book
The illustrations in this are great. I got hooked on the song and the book did not let me down.
I know ... I'm a crazy librarian ... But you've gotta have fun & so do the kids. Our year 6's appreciate the book more than the younger kids 'cause they are the ones that also really get into the song :-)
CalamityMane
The stars here are purely for the illustrations - they're a little bit kooky and a whole lot of fun. Huh...just like the lyrics to the song and the entire video.

I do think I'd be tempted to read this to the grandchildren, but only if I can dance around in a fox costume and use auto-tune.
Bettie
Nov 13, 2013 marked it as wish-list
Now if someone could just slip this inside my stocking! ...more
Jeffrey West
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully charming follow-up to the viral video of the same name, this beautifully illustrated children's book is perfect for anyone who still can't get the song out of their heads.
Hannah Givens
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, picture-book
It's just the lyrics to the song, and that's not much, but the art is actually super cool to look at.
Vicky Hunt
A Text to Speech Treat!

Not only is the story a treat, but the concept of communication is reinforced. All those animal sounds children crave from early infancy are here in these beautifully illustrated pages.
The benefit of reading nonsense words has always been the practice gained in sounding out the letters of our alphabet in action. This delightful picture book is perfect for young children to read aloud to their parents.
Sara Walker
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
See this and all my reviews at Urban Fantasy Land

The hardcover book consists of 32 pages containing the lyrics to the song accompanied by images influenced by Norwegian folk art of the fox and other animals. There's no other text, making this a great way for kids to learn the lyrics to the song. The pictures are bright and busy giving them lots to look at.

You could spend hours looking at these pictures with all the different things to see, and I love how Norwegian folk art just got brought into
Cassandra
I gave it an extra star due to the fact that the song and words are admittedly catchy. But they are catchy in that terrible get-out-of-my-head type of way. I don't really have anything against the viral video, as far as viral videos go. But the fact that it's a now a published children's book makes me cringe. Even this I was willing to look past; I really wanted to give it a fair chance! But what I can't get past is those illustrations. The fox is utterly terrifying, and so are the rest of the d ...more
Alis Franklin
Jan 27, 2014 added it
Recommends it for: hipsters, the kids of hipsters, gifts to foreigners if you're a hipster from Norway
Shelves: read-2014
This is pretty much exactly as advertised; a short "children's" book (fun for adults, also) featuring the lyrics to the song by Norwegian comedy music duo, Ylvis.

You've heard the song before, so what makes this book are the striking illustrations from Svein Nyhus, which looks not unlike traditional folk art crossed with, well, an absurdist YouTube video. It's the sort of stuff hipsters would want printed onto canvas to hang in their hyper-minimalist offices.

In fact, I'm going to see if I can go
meghann
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this to give to my friend at her upcoming baby shower. It's a picture book created around the lyrics of the song, you guessed it, What Does the Fox Say. The illustrations are great. They have a dark and twisty look to them. And it amuses me to no end picturing my friend reading this aloud to her future spawn.
Jenny
Aug 18, 2015 rated it liked it
If you hated the song/Youtube video, then don't read this book. My 7 year old loved the video and has read this book over and over since I brought it home from the library two days ago. My 10 year old also wanted me to read it to them before bed tonight. The fun illustrations bring the song to life.
Sarah (YA Love)
This is not a bedtime book lol. Keith read this to Jack last night and made it sound like the video. When he got to the what the fox says stuff I couldn't help but laugh because of Keith's voice and Jack's reaction.
Jeremy West
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Based on the hilarious YouTube music video that went viral not too long ago, this children's book is full of beautifully crafted art that both adults and kids will adore.
Amy-Lynn
An illustrated picture book of the infamous YouTube video. A fun read aloud that kids will surely love! An obvious participation story!
Lorna
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Time to kill at the bookstore...
Morgan
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
i love the illustrations!!
sixthreezy
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it
What does the person say, who has never heard the song by Ylvis, after reading this book? I'd like to know.
Maggie
Could not read without the song playing in my read. Beautiful illustrations.
Teresa
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
What. The. Poop?

I'm sure this was wildly clever and funny as a YouTube video but it doesn't translate well into a children's picture book.

• Agent Lion
  • Triangle
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • Sam and Dave Dig a Hole
  • And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • What If...
  • Most of the Better Natural Things in the World
  • A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War: How J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis Rediscovered Faith, Friendship, and Heroism in the Cataclysm of 1914-18
  • Square