Start by marking “Death in the Dolomites (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Death in the Dolomites (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #2)

Death in the Dolomites

(Rick Montoya Italian Mystery #2)

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  81 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Rick Montoya takes a break from his translation business in Rome to join his college buddy Flavio in the Italian Alps.  Heavy snow has brought enthusiastic skiers to the picturesque ski town of Campiglio, where the food tastes even better after a day on the slopes.  But Rick's holiday is interrupted when a body is found in the deep snow under a ski lift.  With a push from ...more
Published August 5th 2014 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Death in the Dolomites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in the Dolomites

Anne Slater
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Wagner is a worthy companion to Donna Leon in presenting north-eastern Italy to Americans in the form of mystery stories.

This one, a solid successor to his previous book (title eluding me-- Cold Stone in Tuscany?), tells us about the Dolomite Alps in NE Italy: the skiing, the food (I am inspired to make "involtini"-- veal cutlets stuffed w/ mushrooms, parmesan, bread crumbs then rolled up [involtate] and browned...), the tourists vs the homies, the economy, the wood carving, the
Lorrie
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This mystery is set in a quaint skiing town in the Italian Alps. I don't ski, but the author made this little town sound so enticing, I'd love to visit it one day. I really liked the interpreter's character, Riccardo, as well as the Italian investigators. I pictured all of them dressed to the nine at all times. They were all so gentlemanly. I did have a bit of trouble keeping up with the remainder of the characters because there were quite a few. I like trying to figure out the who-dun-it myself ...more
LadyTechie
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-location
I really did love Death in the Dolomites! I received an early release copy in exchange for a review and I am truly sorry it took me so long to read it. I did not realize there was a previous book in the series when I started it. I had to stop and find a copy of the first book which my library borrowed a copy for me to read. I wish I had read it a long time ago because it really has kicked up my longing for going back to Italy. This time, Rick is skiing with his college buddy Flavio in Campiglio ...more
Doseofbella
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads

Death in the Dolomites (A Rick Montoya Mystery)
By: David P. Wagner Pages 230
Poisoned Pen Press 2014
Copy Courtesy of Goodreads First Read
Reviewed by: tk

The cover gives only a hit at the beauty described; of this Italian village Campiglio. The scene is set in breathless mountains. The town has quaint specialty shopping described to be somewhere you would like to be. The food, wine, pastries, and conversations are just part of the daily rituals.
In the mist of this beauty is Rick Montoya here on vac
Susan
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
uh-oh

You know a mystery is in trouble when a new character is introduced late in the book.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this second Rick Montoya Italian Mystery. Montoya is a translator with dual Italian and American citizenship. His uncle is a high-ranking policeman in Rome, so Rick finds himself pressed into service, officially as a translator / liaison between Italian police and the murder victim's American sister, but as a de facto investigator when he finds himself a target.

I enjoyed the novel, b
Alan
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good murder mystery set in the Italian Dolomite town of Campiglio. Rick Montoya, son of a New Mexican diplomat and an Italian mother, works as a translator in Rome. He is up in the Dolomites for a skiing vacation with his university friend, Flavio, when he is again pulled into a murder investigation. Fun. Lots of good food, pastries and wine.
William  Knight
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt as if I was in the Italian alps along with the characters. The word pictures drawn by Mr. Wagner drew me into the story completely.

The plot had enough twists to keep me guessing clear to the end of the book. Now I want to go skiing in Italy.
loretta
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this series more with each new book. I’m traveling to Italy without leaving my house! Though the real thing would be better, these mysteries are the next best thing. This little mystery got a little confusing with all the various characters and actions, but it’s so pleasant to be in Italy with Rick Montoya as he works and dines that I’m willing to sort it all out.

Brace1737
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rick Montoya goes for a nice quiet weekend of skiing and gets far more than he bargained for. He is asked to translate during a murder investigation. Will he end up the next victim?

I have enjoyed the other novels in this series. This one could have used better pacing.
Lynn
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as strong as 1 or 3 but still very enjoyable. I really like this series and appreciate the settings which have all been slightly off the main tourist path.
Eugene
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Another entertaining read. The mystery is fine, and kept me wondering “whodunnit” til the end. Personally, it grabbed me because of its setting so near my US Army experience in Vicenza Italy, even mentioning Carlo Ederle, the base at which I was stationed, as well as Bolzano nearby in the foothills of the Italian Alps. Great memories of a great place, made the whole read fun for me! Read the 1st in the series just recently and liked it, this is just as good.
Victor Gentile
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
David P. Wagner in his new book, “Death in the Dolomites” Book Two in the A Rick Montoya Italian Mystery series published by Poisoned Pen Press gives us another adventure with Rick Montoya.

From the back cover: Rick Montoya is looking forward to a break from his translation business in Rome—a week of skiing in the Italian Alps with old college buddy Flavio. But Rick’s success helping the Italian police with a murder in Tuscany sends the Campiglio cops his way. An American banker working in Milano
Sharon Mensing
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-book, mystery
The characters in DEATH IN THE DOLOMITES are not particularly well developed, but I didn't even miss that aspect of the book because the food and location take center stage. Wagner does an outstanding job of transporting the reader to the Italian Alps. Rick Montoya is on vacation at the ski resort town of Campiglio, when a body is found buried in the snow by some snowboarders. Rick, a translator whose uncle has been pushing him to enter the police force, is pressed into service to help the loca ...more
Christine Zibas
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Back with the second installment of the Rick Montoya series, Author David Wagner again takes his readers deep into the heart of Italy, this time to the Dolomites, or Italian Alps. Skiing in the tiny town of Campiglio is well under way, when an American banker based in Milan goes missing. His American sister has come for a visit, and she is the one who alerts police to his absence.

However, the American sister is acting very strangely and is soon ladling out all her feminine charms in heavy doses
Cissa
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this mystery -- it has elements I enjoy a lot, such as a solid sense of a place I've never been, attention paid to the food as part of the atmosphere, and lots of characters, each with their own agendas.

However, it very reliably put me to sleep within a few pages.

I spent the last half of the novel speculating about this, between naps. Why? It's not badly written, and I've read far worse novels that yet kept me reading.

I think the flaw for me was that it was so dispassiona
Michael Dunn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Second book in the series is still more travelogue then mystery.
Still the plot development has improved and I had a good idea of who the murder was, but there was again read herrings and twist enough that I wasn't sure until the end.
looking back, author provided good clues, if you knew to look for them.
Secondary character were better, especially the policeman.
Female lead provided is still a loser.
Author needs to provide better women.
Randy M.
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Death in the Dolomites reads like an episode of a detective series for the NBC Mystery Movie that aired once upon a time on American television. That series was a rotation of detective shows that included McCloud, McMillan & Wife, and Columbo. As I read this story, it seemed to fit right in as an episode for a new “Montoya” show to be added to the rotation, and I mean that as a compliment.

This short novel about a murder in a small village nestled in the Italian Alps is a perfect read while o
Clearview Library District
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Rick Montoya goes to the small ski town of Campiglio in the Italian Alps, he is just looking for fine skiing and enjoying the scenery, but as an interpreter, he ends up helping an Italian investigator try to solve a murder. The story itself is pretty standard stuff, but Wagner through his experience of 9 years in the diplomatic service in Italy, does an outstanding job of portraying the people, cuisine and wines of the region. I found myself salivating over some of his descriptions of the m ...more
Jeanne
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-won
I received this book as a free Bookread Firstread. The plot, scenery and main characters sounded interesting initially but I found it difficult to follow the storyline and the various characters. Questioning suspects or potential witnesses about a briefly mentioned crime seemed to be secondary to discussing a multi-course meal, wines, and ski conditions. The final resolution of the crime(s) left loose threads and appeared to be due to coincidence rather than good police work. I would have enjoy ...more
Karen
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this second in the series.

It is snow season in the Dolomites, and an American is missing.

Rick is on vacation but is called in to help the police communicate with the
missing man's sister. He does get some skiing in, but the rest of his vacation
is sitting in on interviews of the local suspects. From this point on it is a police
procedural.

Nicely written and well plotted. Lots of food is eaten and wine drunk.

I borrowed a copy of this from the public library.

David Wagner is our selected a
Susan
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-italy
Rick is on a skiing vacation when he's asked to help translate for the officer in charge of an investigation of a disappearing American banker. On the recommendation of his uncle, a commissario with the Roman police, he becomes more involved in helping the police, especially after a body is discovered. Rick, an American who works as a translator in Rome, is well-placed to pick up information from the local people. Interesting northern Italian background.
Juleah
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Loved the Italian location, the description of the scenery and local cuisine. I was not familiar with the Dolomites so appreciated the introduction to that region of Italy. In books like this, I lose myself more in the surroundings than in the story itself. I do like the character of Rick and his friend Flavio and will certainly look forward to a new installment.
Jack Goodstein
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Sophomore effort has Rick on a skiing holiday when called upon to help translate for an American woman whose brother has gone missing, and later found murdered.
A lot of mouthwatering descriptions of Italian meals, wines, pastries and coffees; often more interesting than the mystery itself.
Gina
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Rick Montoya is half Italian and he is working in Italy as a translator. He and a fellow former classmate from the University of New Mexico are enjoying a vacation in the Dolomites area of Italy. When an American banker is murdered he is asked to help with translation.
Desiree
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Liked This second book in the Rick Montoya series. This time the setting is a small skiing resort in the north of Italy. Although it is not an outstanding read, the books are interesting enough and provoke a certain atmosphere. Like the food and wine descriptions.
Plot was interesting enough.
David Marshall
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite a readable mystery which provides somewhat perfunctory Italian colour and a less than plausible thriller element.

Alaska
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Italian Tour

One can learn a lot about Italy from reading Mr. Wagner's mysteries. There is nothing too deep with the plots but the local color is just great.
Sylvia Tooker
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Doctor's Return
  • The Feasts: How the Church Year Forms Us as Catholics
  • Liverpool Connection
  • And We Danced (Dancing with Horses, #1)
  • The 66 Kid: Raised on the Mother Road: Growing Up on Route 66, the World's Most Famous Two-Lane Blacktop
  • The Storm
  • Breathing on Her Own
  • Fat Cat At Large (A Fat Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Tempesta's Dream
  • Body Aches (Text-A-Nurse Cozy Mystery Series #2)
  • Flight Through Fire
  • Target: Tinos  (Andreas Kaldis, #4)
  • The Night of the Comet
  • Where Love Lies
  • Quicksilver to Gold (Gold Rush, #2)
  • Of Merlot and Murder
  • Chasing Rainbows (# 1)
  • The Cinderella Killer (Charles Paris, #19)
David P. Wagner earned a degree in English from Michigan State University before joining the foreign service. His assignments included nine years in Italy where he learned to love things Italian, many of which appear on the pages of his books. He and his wife live on Colorado's front range.

Rick Montoya Italian Mystery (5 books)
  • Cold Tuscan Stone (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Most Unfortunate (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery #3)
  • Return to Umbria (Rick Montoya Italian Mystery, #4)
  • A Funeral in Mantova