Start by marking “The Crystal Heart” as Want to Read:
The Crystal Heart

The Crystal Heart

(Fairy Tales)

A girl in a tower. An underground kingdom. This retelling of Rapunzel offers a gripping blend of magic, romance, adventure, fairytale, and mystery.

When 17-year-old army conscript Kasper Bator is chosen to join the elite guard that keeps watch over a dangerous prisoner in a tower, he believes what he's been told: the prisoner is a powerful witch. But when he meets the priso
Published November 1st 2014 by Penguin Random House Australia

Khrys ♡《TheWaffleGirl》
Instalove and other cliches? No thanks. 😬😅
Lara Mi

“She never forgot who she was. And that meant that she never forgot who I was, either.”

This was my third Sophie Masson book and it confirms what I have already noticed in the previous two books: she weaves interesting plots set in an intriguing fictional Europe that will have you speeding through the pages - However!! she writes Romance in such a poor manner. Just like in the previous two books, I could see the attraction between our lead characters Kasper and Izolda. Yet, within mere chapter
Anne Hamilton
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, australia-nz
Perhaps unfortunately, this fantasy is set up both thematically and stylistically as a romance when, by the end, it was the political machinations that made it absorbing enough to stand out from the pack. In the first hour after finishing it, I must have re-read the ‘quality of mercy’ scene twenty times. It was hauntingly lovely.

To his surprise, Kasper is chosen to join the elite group of guards watching over a prisoner in an isolated tower. Commander Los hand-picks him to be one of the wardens
Lynne Stringer
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Right from the start of this book I felt there was something missing, even though I liked Kasper and Izolda as characters.
However, I found a number of the plot developments unconvincing. Kasper saves a prisoner who he believes is an evil witch who can turn him to stone with one look and who is desperate to destroy his land. Why? Because he has a vision that indicates she is not what she seems. He has no history of visions or anything around him to indicate that it might be real, however, he inst
Selena Yukino (The Lioness: hear me roar)
Rating: 3.0 stars

An okay read but the writing style and cliches kind of ruined it for me.
Kirsti
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of Juliet Marillier, then there's a high probability you'll like this book. After all, Juliet praises it on the back cover, although that wasn't the name that drew me in first. Sophie Masson speaks for herself! After reading Scarlet in the Snow I knew she was great, and this book proves it. She makes fairy tale retelling unique and wonderful again, rather than cheesy and cliched.

There's a tower on the front cover, so Rapunzel this time, right? But it reads like the Princess and t
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
DNF. I loved the cover and premise so much but this is not very good at all. The writing and dialogue is amateurish. The characters are boring and wooden, and it's hard to tell the two viewpoints apart. They also trust each other WAY too easily; I can smell the instalove coming from a mile away. I'm a little curious how the plot will unfold but I can't deal with the characters and I have no desire to pick up my book. Can't recommend this sadly.
Dee ~ Proudest Nanna Of Little  Millie ~
What a lovely story, loosely based on the Rapunzel tale. Although after the princess has been rescued from her tower, the whole plot starts to differs a lot from the original. But it is still a great story to read!
Jody
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. From the first page I was totally engrossed. I loved the two main characters and their world. I was sorry when the book finished and easily could have read on for another couple of hundred pages. Can't wait for Sophie Masson's next Young Adult book.
Deborah Ideiosepius
A nice little mythic fairy-tale style fantasy; 17 year old Kasper joins an elite guard watching over a dangerous witch in a tower, a witch no one has ever seen. Through curiosity, he finds the 'witch' is merely a young girl his own age, one who is about to be killed he rescues her, they fall in love.

But then the twist! They are discovered,Kasper is imprisoned and tortured before a way opens for him to find his revenge. Only to do so he must travel to Izolda's father's underground kingdom.

With la
Rachael
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Rapunzel retelling. The beginning started out really strong. The middle slowed down a little bit and the ending was strong. I enjoyed Izolda and Kasper's story. I will be reading another Sophie Masson book soon.
Melissa
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a Rapunzel retelling. I mean, it was a good story. But, just because a girl starts off in a tower does not make this a Rapunzel story. It was missing too much lore. However, like I said it's a good story.
Kaitlyn
Oct 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Alison
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had a little more hope for this book than it ended up deserving. I enjoyed although it was drawn out a bit The Scarlet Rose and so was hoping that this book would be even better but alas it was not. I think that Sophie was trying to keep up to a word count which meant that the book was written three times longer than it had to have been and the constant 'feelings' of love and loss by each of the characters was probably too soppy and way too long which was a shame. I love fairy tales but this w ...more
Amra Pajalic
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loveozya
In the Crystal Heart Sophie Masson re imagines Rapunzel's fairy tale in a fantasy setting where feys and humans share a world.

Kasper is the guard protecting his realm from what he has been told is a powerful witch. When he finds out that the girl in the tower is actually Izolda, the daughter of the country's enemy, and that her life is in danger he puts everything on the line to save her. Now he has to find out who is truly telling the truth and where his loyalties lie.

This is a story of adventu
Mariah H
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me away to another world where anything was possible. I really got caught up in the story and found myself reading as fast as I could to find out what happened next. I wasn't anything like I expected for I expected something akin to the story Rapunzel, but what I read instead had a very faint trace of that so that you knew what inspired the story but was by no means restricted by the stereotype, instead it was it's own story.
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-reviews
Sophie Masson has this was of writing that takes a predictable story on an original and plot-twisting storyline, filled with fresh characters and thoughts.

I loved how the crystal heart was a dominant object in all of this, and I also loved the originality of their love, and how it was bittersweet and not just focused on them being together, but about the times when they were apart.

A quick but worthwhile read.
Selena
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: a friend or fantasy lover
Recommended to Selena by: a friend
It was a good book but there was flaws with it. First some of things Sophie Masson said in the novel didn't correspond to what she had previously said in the novel. It also changed to the other person at random points with no notation that they were changing. Other than that, the novel was very enjoyable and really reminded me of Rapunzel with a new spin on it. I enjoyed it and will probably read more novels by Sophie Masson.
Grace
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
It was an ok book. I liked the character of Kasper a lot (i am so glad he had black hair and not blonde or brown) but it was SO darn SAPPY!!! like, shoot, they only knew each other for, what was it? Three or four days, and kissing already? Heh. Talk about wishful thinking. u don't kiss a guy after knowing him for THREE OR FOUR flippin' DAYS. But i liked the character of the Prince of Night.

But seriously. not my kind of book.
Khue
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, y-a
Disappointing read. Sophie has written some of my almost favourite books... (I'm talking about Moonlight and Ashes), but Crystal Heart didn't do it for me. Got bored from the first chapter. Got annoyed at the main protagonist because of her behaviour at around the fourth chapter... and from then, the entire plot went down hill. I didn't buy the romance either. It was a combination of too cheesy and too superficial.
Claire
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
When I bought this I thought it was going to be a take on the Rapunzel story and honestly, that is why I delayed reading it. Rest assured, it is not remotely Rapunzelly! If it is a take on a faitytale like the other books then I don't know that fairytale.

It is a lovely story. I had no idea who's side the Commander was on. Very intriguing.
Georgia
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure if I'd read this book before when I started...
Having finished I'm still not sure, at times it felt like at read it, at others it felt like I hadn't!
NO - I'm not suffering amnesia (I think!)! I feel this is just a bit of a forgettable book...
At times it also was hard to follow - but still an enjoyable, light book with a lovely romantic story!
Katie
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an easy, enjoyable read, although I did not see the need for alternating POVs. I feel the story would have been stronger if told purely from Kasper's perspective, especially when his doubts about Izolda start to sneak in.
Trisha
An epic fairy-tale of grand proportions. Izolda and Kasper have much to suffer and sacrifice before they can claim their destiny.

Lots of secrets, travelling through different lands, and separation. SO lots of actions and revelations and romance.

Christian West
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, ya-2015
Gentle fantasy story about a young guard who liberates a political prisoner and falls in love with her. The story meanders a bit, and the main protagonists fall in love way too fast for my practical self, but it is enjoyable.
Teashy
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book. It was full of surprises, romance, hope, courage, trust and justice. A lot lies beyond the surface as you will find in this fantastic book. Remember love is stronger then death.
Emma
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
This book was so gorgeous to read! I was absolutely devastated when it finished. The story is beautiful, the characters are beautiful, and the cover is beautiful. What more could I ask for?
Christina Hwang
May 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-put-down
I never finished this, it was just boring and dull. It couldn't really captivate me, it's amazing i lasted until somewhere around chapter 5
Hannah Crittenden
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite boring really, too much I love him, damsel in distress for me
Sarah Spurgeon
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It did take a while for me to really get into, but it was amazing! I really liked the. twist, I actually did not see that one coming, which I love. I would recommend this to anyone!

• Sold for Endless Rue
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem
  • Bonded
  • Straw Into Gold
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • The Glass Casket
  • The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • The Seventh Swan
  • Shine Light (Night Creatures, #3)
Born in Indonesia of French parents, Sophie Masson was sent to live with her paternal grandmother in Toulouse, France, when she was just a baby and lived there till she was nearly five, when her parents came back from Indonesia and took her to Australia. All the rest of her childhood, the family stayed in Australia, with frequent trips back to France, and this dual heritage underpins a good deal o ...more

Fairy Tales (4 books)