Start by marking “Hell with the Lid Blown Off (Alafair Tucker #7)” as Want to Read:
Hell with the Lid Blown Off (Alafair Tucker #7)

Hell with the Lid Blown Off

(Alafair Tucker #7)

In the summer of 1916, a big twister brings destruction to the land around Boynton OK.  Alafair Tucker’s family and neighbors are not spared the ruin and grief spread by the storm.  But no one is going to mourn for Jubal Beldon, who made it his business to know the ugly secrets of everyone in town. It doesn’t matter if Jubal’s insinuations are true or not. In a small town ...more
Published June 3rd 2014 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hell with the Lid Blown Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell with the Lid Blown Off

Story Circle Book Reviews
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
As the title indicates, a twister is at the center of this mystery. I read the storm scene on a quiet early August night in North Central Texas--no clouds, no rain, temperature cooler than normal. And yet I kept glancing out the window, expecting to see sheets of driving rain, hail, bolts of thunder and a dark green sky. That's how powerful Donis Casey's description of the twister is.

I strained with the men and women who struggled to hold the storm cellar doors shut, and I cried with the frighte
Woodstock Pickett
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, audio-books
A tornado rips through rural Oklahoma, wreaking havoc on the Tucker farm, and destroying the nearby farm where Alafair and Shaw's daughter Phoebe lives with her husband and small daughter. As the clean up continues, locals find the body of a irritating ne'er do well. No one, not even his mother, is overly concerned that Jubal Belden is dead, but a stab wound on his side indicates he may not have died in the fury of the storm.

One of the sheriff's deputies is falling in love with Alafair's daughte
Rosemary Nichols
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever really considered what it would be like to be caught in a tornado? This excellent and exciting book could serve as a primer for all the awful things that Mother Nature can cause with the right conditions.

Of course there are casualties. The vegetation is destroyed in completely random ways. Buildings are damaged or flattened. A family's possessions are strewn around the neighborhood - those that are not destroyed.

And in the midst of the chaos, the most unpopular man in town is dead
Kathryn Provence
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
The Alafair Tucker Mysteries are very different from the usual female mysteries. Living in Oklahoma during the 'teens with a husband and (I think) 10 children(!). She manages her house, her children, her husband and solves a murder or two along the way. The stories are all told from the view of a traditional family point of view but a family that is on the verge of change. World War I and Woman Rights to Vote loom on the horizon. If you remember watching your grandma letting her hair down at bef ...more
Robin
Mostly historical fiction. The mystery was good but didn’t take up much of the story. The book’s charm is in its emphasis on family, community, and compassion for others. I learned a lot about early 1900’s small town life. A religious undertone which also coincided with broader, more across the board, moral themes such as being thankful for what you have, not judging others, and following the golden rule.
Phyllis
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have really enjoyed this series so far. The author has placed the Tucker family into many different places and situations. This one involves an Oklahoma tornado--something with which I am quite familiar. Most Oklahomans have probably heard stories about the almost impossible results of a catastrophic tornado. Casey has made use of many of these stories to make her descriptions interesting and believable. Strangely, it just so happened that I read some of the scariest parts of the story while s ...more
Lisa Lawson
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Had a very hard time putting it down.
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extra good. Best in the series so far.
Kristen
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my faves of this series.
Lesa
As much as I enjoyed Donis Casey's The Wrong Hill to Die On, Alafair Tucker seems out of place when she leaves her family behind in Boynton, Oklahoma. The latest mystery brings together Alafair's family and friends in an unusual format for Casey, but it works brilliantly. Different characters, even the victim, share their viewpoints of the events leading up to the tragedy that strikes Boynton and the surrounding countryside.

In June, 1916, a twister hits the community, leaving some dead and injur
Anne
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I believe this is the 7th book in the series which I had never heard of, but it wasn't indicated when I requested a copy of the book from Netgalley (in exchange for my honest review). I wasn't thrilled when I started the book and was presented with several pages of introductions to the characters. I bypassed those knowing I'd never remember the details. I then discovered the story was set in 1916 in a small town rural area. Not looking good since I prefer contemporary settings. Then the murder d ...more
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisters pop up fast and furious in the flatlands of Oklahoma. In the summer of 1916, tornados weren’t the only thing tearing people apart and leaving a path of destruction in the wake.

Like any other town, Boyton had solid citizens, good for nothing citizens and secrets. The worst of the bunch was Jubal Beldon. He ran with a group of other troublemakers of whom he was the ringleader. He was mean and seemed to hold secrets of more than one of the townsfolk. When he ended up dead, it didn’t surpri
Cathy Cole
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hell With the Lid Blown Off is a bit of a departure for author Donis Casey, and it's one of her very best books in this excellent historical mystery series. For once, farm wife and mother of ten Alafair Tucker does not conduct her own investigation into the death of Jubal Beldon; she's much too busy taking care of injured family members and cleaning up after the tornado's destruction. Instead, the balance of the story rests on the shoulders of her musically inclined daughter Ruth and the young d ...more
Cissa
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
While the cover copy says it's a murder mystery, that's not the way I'd describe Donis Casey's Hell with the Lid Blown Off. OK, there is a mysterious murder, but it doesn't happen until almost two thirds of the way through the book. The rest is mostly focused on solving it, but in my opinion that's not the book's main strength.

I would call it more of a historical, slice-of-life novel, with the murder-mystery an added bonus.

I haven't read anything in this series before, so I was very grateful for
Fictionophile
I received this title from NetGalley in return for an honest review. My complete review can be found on my blog Fictionophile.

The seventh in the Alafair Tucker series, “Hell with the lid blown off” can easily be read as a stand-alone novel. I haven’t read any others in the series and was quite able to enjoy this one on its own.

I found myself thinking of “Little House on the Prairie” the entire time I was reading it. Set in a similar time period in very rural Oklahoma, this novel really didn’t h
Suspense Magazine
Jul 23, 2014 rated it liked it
In 1916 Oklahoma, a tornado tears through Boynton and leaves in its wake death and destruction. But one of those deaths was not caused by the twister. Now it’s up to the sheriff and his young deputy, Alafair to find out who murdered one of the most hated men in the town.
For me this one got off to an excruciatingly slow start. It wasn’t until over half way through the book that the murder occurred. Now, since the victim was not a well-liked person there were no shortages of suspects. But Alafair
Colleen
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I just finished this and I intend to write a more thorough review later but for now I just want to say I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The characters were so vividly portrayed with quick quirky details that instantly gave you a notion of the persons appearance or personality. It takes a little while to get used to the pacing and the style of the writing and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of how sections are split and titled by a specific character and it doesn't make much sense to me that Tren ...more
Jan McClintock
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story, and had no idea it was the seventh in a series. Don't worry if you haven't read them all yet; this one doesn't rely on the previous stories to make sense.

The setting is Oklahoma in 1916, and I felt it was very accurate, right down to the recipes included. Tornadoes were and are a real threat, and reading about the storm in this book wasn't easy, but was essential to the plot.

Most of this book seemed more like a historical novel than a mystery, but once it gets going,
Kathy
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love this series by Donis Casey! Hell With the Lid Blown Off describes the landscape after a tornado hits Boynton, Oklahoma in the summer of 1916. While several people perished due to the tornado it looks like the town bully was murdered before the tornado hit then was blown to a new location. Alafair Tucker and the local lawmen are left with an abundance of suspects in this murder of a highly unpopular man. Even his family members cannot be ruled out as suspects.

Ms. Casey does an excellent
Jeri
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is another in the continuing series about Alafair Tucker and her large family in 1915 Oklahoma. It is not too different from previous Donis Casey books. There is a small murder mystery which she mixes in with the stories of her children. This time though, there is a deadly tornado that sets down on their small community. There are deaths, a baby found alive in a field, lost homes and barns, so much devastation. She details how things are put right again, how people take in those neighbors w ...more
Susan
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A devastating tornado passes through the area around Boynton, OK, leaving several dead, including the meanest man in town. But the sheriff is convinced that he was dead before the tornado hit. Of course, it might have been an accident, but nobody seems to believe that. And the deputy sheriff is falling in love with Alafair Tucker's daughter. There's too little Alafair in this book, although the other characters also have charms.
Richard
Very interesting reading about life as it was when my in-laws were kids in Oklahoma. The details of how they managed day-to-day, with little labor saving devices, especially after the tornado, and no communication equipment was worse than most third world countries today. I had heard some of this from their POV before.

Interesting story of a big family and a small town.
David Marshall
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the history folksy in the slightly tiresome sense of the word although the mystery element is quite engaging.

Lisa
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this series didn't enjoy this one as well as the others I think mostly because it's usually told from Alafair's point of view and this time skipped around between different point of views.
Jan
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series that weaves some starting plot lines into an amazing portrayal of the power of the wind. I've lived through a "twister" & the clean/up afterwards, & this book is spot on.
Paula
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2014-reads
Love this family in all their joys and sorrows. Not much of a mystery but that's not why i read these.
Beverly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great story and mystery. Love the characters.
Janice Matheson
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice little murder mystery done in a unique way. I listened to this book and they did an awesome job.
Pat Walker
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am so bummed that I don't have access to her next novel. Donis Casey is a delightful storyteller. I feel like her family history mirrors mine. I hope she continues to write.
Christy
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I love how she constructed the story, moving from one point of view to another. Reading it during a sudden thunderstorm like I did adds an extra thrill to the proceedings....

• The Puffin of Death ( A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #4)
  • Renting Silence (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #3)
  • Phantom Limb (Daniel Rinaldi #4)
  • Thoreau at Devil's Perch (Henry David Thoreau Mystery #1)
  • The Magician's Daughter (Valentine Hill, #1)
  • A Thirst for Home: A Story of Water across the World
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • High Country Nocturne
  • Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella, #1)
  • Regulated for Murder (Michael Stoddard American Revolution Mystery #2)
  • Mr. Wayne's Masterpiece
  • Bye, Bye Love (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #4)
  • Fire in Beulah
  • Sherlock Holmes, The Missing Years: Japan
  • Murder in the Manuscript Room (42nd Street Library Mystery #2)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Eleven O'Clock Lady, (The Darling Dahlias, #6)
  • Island Madness
  • The Year of the Fortune Cookie (Anna Wang #3)
DONIS CASEY was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. A third generation Oklahoman, she and her siblings grew up among their aunts and uncles, cousins, grandparents and great-grandparents on farms and in small towns, where they learned the love of family and independent spirit that characterizes the population of that pioneering state. Donis graduated from the University of Tulsa with a degree in En ...more

Alafair Tucker (10 books)
  • The Old Buzzard Had It Coming (Alafair Tucker, #1)
  • Hornswoggled (Alafair Tucker, #2)
  • The Drop Edge of Yonder (Alafair Tucker, #3)
  • The Sky Took Him (Alafair Tucker, #4)
  • Crying Blood (Alafair Tucker, #5)
  • Wrong Hill to Die On (Alafair Tucker #6)
  • All Men Fear Me (Alafair Tucker, #8)
  • The Return of the Raven Mocker (Alafair Tucker, #9)
  • Forty Dead Men (Alafair Tucker, #10)