Start by marking “For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #1)

For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1)

(The Dracula Chronicles #1)

A WAR RAGES AROUND US EVERY DAY. THE STRUGGLE TO SAVE ALL MANKIND. THE ULTIMATE EVIL.

The battle for souls has raged since the truce that followed the First Great War of the Angels. God has struck the ultimate blow and sacrifice to gain the advantage and defeat His fallen angel and estranged son, Lucifer. As Lucifer stands at the foot of the Cross that drains the last ounce
Paperback, First Edition, 324 pages
Published November 10th 2013 by Shane KP O'Neill

Start your review of For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #1)
Christoph Fischer
"The Dracula Chronicles: For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Shane KP O'Neill is a very well written historical account of the early days of Vlad Dracula in Transylvania from 1431 onwards. Although young Vlad will later on become a Vampire and the figure that inspired other Dracula stories, O'Neill sticks with this book to the historic figure and describes only the first years of Vlad's existence.

Introductory chapters introduce the theme of the First Great War of the Angels, of Lucifer and his great
Sheryll Barton
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read, you will not be disappointed. Having read the authors first two books of the Dracula Chronicles, which gave us the vampire first, I thought it may be a little strange to then go back to the beginning, but it really works. Mr O'Neill's talented writing brings to life the characters and the brutal age in which they live. It gives real insight into the circumstances which shaped Dracula the man. This is definitely not just another vampire story, there is so much more to it than that. ...more
Paddy
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dracula
Well I've been waiting for this book to come out since reading the "Bound by blood" books and it was well worth it.
This book starts the tale of the life of Vlad Tspesh (Dracula) from when he was born. The story is, I'm sure, full of accurate details and reads more like an actual account of his life up until the age of 16.
It also is the start of Lucifer's plans to beat God to the highest amount of souls, which he's failing at because of Jesus Christ's crucifixion and the fact that he died so man
Don Weiss
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Having sired two different sons by two different women (as also depicted in the standalone introduction LAMB OF GOD), Vlad Dracul ascends to the honorable title of Voivode of Wallachia. But the throne carries with it an enormously high price, as Dracul finds himself at odds with those who will stop at nothing to strip him of everything he possesses. Old allegiances are broken and new ones forged, and Dracul is forced to contend with crises both personal and political, while his sons Vlad and ...more
M.E. Vaughan
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For Whom The Bell Tolls is a precise, masterful and engaging piece of work. A thrilling page-turner with very real characters, this is an age-old tale told like you’ve never heard it before!

The new craze of ‘teenage vampire angst’ had made me fearful of ever picking up a book with the ‘vampire’ concept ever again, which is why when I started ‘The Dracula Chronicles’, I did so tremulously. Within the first two paragraphs I knew that I had picked up something that was so beyond my expectation, I
Jeff Fountain
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Author Shane O'Neill has done what I think is his finest work in The Dracula Chronicles: For Whom The Bell Tolls. Wonderfully explicit storytelling, including a very vivid and tastefully done sex scene, this book is full of story lines that bring the reader to the edge of his or her seat.

Reading the trials and tribulations of Dracul and his sons is very detailed and extremely engrossing. As the story plays out this reader was left feeling conflicted on many topics, always a good sign when
Mary Bargh
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An amazingly historic story that tells of Vlad Dracula and his half brother, Andrei, taking us from their youth to the men they became. This novel takes you back to the dark times in 1431 to take you through the battles, loves and losses of Vlad Dracula and his family in graphic clarity. Certainly not a novel for the faint-of-heart. Another superb piece of writing from Shane K.P. O'Neill.
Shane O'Neill
It is here I take you back to the beginning and introduce you to the concept that is The Dracula Chronicles.

To end the First Great War of the Angels, God agreed a truce with Lucifer when He could have destroyed His fallen son. Never could He have envisaged the resourcefulness of the Arch Deceiver or have contemplated that Lucifer could challenge in the battle for souls. For to end the war, God agreed that Lucifer could contest the soul of every living being, as long as he never interfered with
Rebecka Vigus
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to be a beta reader for this book. Don't miss it.

In this Gothic horror book comes the ultimate good vs. evil. You are back in time to 1431 and Vlad Dracul is the king of Transyvania. His half-brother rules Wallachia to his south and was always a threat. He was part of the Order of the Dragons and was sworn to halt the Turkish takeover of Christian lands. Vlad also had a truce with the Turks.

Throughout the book, Vlad Dracul is in conflict with his allies and his faith. He tries
D.
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book from Shane that I have read. This particular title is not only the telling of Vlad, Radu and Andrei's developmental years but the story of Vlad's father, Dracul. This story is set before Vlad is left to the devices of Lucifer.

Pros
This Irish born, Norwegian-residing author once again brings the reader no-holds barred storytelling equivalent to the anything goes, raw era that was the Crusades against the Turks and the spread of Islam. He also manages to introduce the reader
Vicky Tindall-herbert
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous reading, the author captures the audience reading this book.....well the whole collection actually.....the detail is astounding, makes you feel as though you are there feeling every emotion there.
There are very few books that I have read that has left me wanting more, I look forward to the next publication with anticipation of more excitement, edge of my seat reading.
Tove Lervik
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had to read this after The Lamb Of God. I loved it and read it every chance I got, before work and when I got home from work. I like stories where the historical facts are correct and I can learn something besides being entertained. I find this period of the history of east Europe is very exciting and I understand many important things happened that shaped our world today.

Vlad seems a nice boy but his destiny seems to conspire against him. He tries his best and is very loyal to his father. He
Theresa Stuart
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shane's has gripping saga and unparalleled writing are a tribute to his vast knowledge and painstaking processes that bring to fruition a grand and elegant tale of darkness and light. A must read for all interesting, spellbinding, and at times makes your breath catch in your throat, for want of what comes next..
Theresa Stuart
Mii
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Cari
This is a difficult book to review. I had extremely high hopes when I started reading this book, due to the nearly perfect ratings. I loved Bram Stoker's Dracula and couldn't wait to see what people were raving about in regards to this series.

For Whom the Bell Tolls actually opens with Lucifer's fall from heaven and the beginning of the battle between heaven and hell. With the crucifixion of Christ, God erased the sins of man, undoing all of Lucifer's work. In response to this defeat,
Simon Okill
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For Whom The Bell Tolls (Vlad Dracula, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #1) by Shane KP O'Neill is exactly what a classic in its own time looks like. The author has captured the smells, flavours and struggles of 15th Century eastern Europe so perfectly, this reader actually lived every page. The writing of this historical masterpiece is flawless and seamlessly weaves a monumental tapestry of back-stabbing political shenanigans with hints of the supernatural and religious warfare.
This book follows
Stefania Mattana
This is the second epic novel I read written by author O'Neill.
Like Bound By Blood, For Whom The Bell Tolls revealed itself as a breathtaking page turner.
The writing flows page by page and I felt also a bit sorry when the story ended.
More please!
Clarice
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Voivode Dracul is the ruler of Wallachia. He is married and ends up having three boys, a fine legacy to leave behind. It is an assurance that there will be an heir to the throne. However, that throne is continuously threatened by one or another. The Turks on one side of Dracul are always some sort of issue because he has made a truce with them, even though he has made an oath to the Catholic Church to help protect their interests. In an age where the Crusades were fought, the two do not get ...more
K.r. Morrison
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is not your grandmother’s Dracula story. In fact, it’s more about his beginnings, and how his formative years led him to become Vlad the Impaler.

And at the end of this story, you will be saying to yourself, “Well, I can certainly understand why he did what he did.”

It starts at the very beginning of the Christian era. Satan, upon having learned that his hold on humans has been destroyed by Jesus’ crucifixion, makes a vow: at some point in human time, he will find the one who will wreak his
Jackie Spade
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of all things Vlad Dracula. In my time, I've read many good books about him, and equally as many bad. Scarce, however, is the number of GREAT books I've read about the famed tyrant. I am happy to say that For Whom the Bell Tolls proudly shines in my top three favorites. This is s high honor.

The book begins with a history of heaven and hell, and we are introduced into the battle between light and darkness, good and evil. From there we are taken into a world of knights and
Anna Othitis
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"The Dracula Chronicles: For Whom The Bell Tolls" by Shane KP O'Neill - is a very well written historical account of the early days of Vlad Dracula in Transylvania from 1431. Shane KP O'Neill is exactly what a classic in its own time looks like capturing the smells, flavours and struggles of 15th Century eastern Europe so very well. Very dark and well written, The authors creative and unique approach is amazing and capturing. A fascinating blend of medieval historical facts, myths, and ...more
Sheryl Seal
The Dracula Chronicles: For Whom The Bell Tolls by Shane KP O'Neill is an epic historical novel of Gothic horror, violence, political corruption, dark paranormal fantasy, strong emotions and deep romance set in the 15th Century Balkans.
What else could you ask for in this awesome book!
Very dark and well written, I love the authors creative and unique approach to this outstanding page turner!
I borrowed this book from my daughter and we both plan on buying more of this talented authors books, for
Giovanni Crisan
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With so many vampire books hitting the shelves nowadays, it is often difficult to weed out the ones that deserve to be buried forever and find the one that will rise above. O'Neill takes historical fact and merges it with local myth and his own twists to create a fresh recounting of a historical enigma - drives, motivations, and tragic circumstance are all explored in beautiful detail and masterful writing. I can't wait to read the next one.
Elias Zapple
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Having already read one of The Dracula Chronicles by Shane O'Neill prior to For Whom the Bell Tolls I was eagerly anticipating another stupendous novel full of the grit and excellent characterisation I've come to expect from the author. And, he does not disappoint. Dracula is an intriguing character and here we meet his twin brother, the good Andrei. With the battles against God, the Catholic church, it's interesting, different and very, very dark. Easily worth 5 stars.
Jonny Bell
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Mr. O'Neill has a knack of keeping my interest. This is now my 2nd book I have enjoyed from him. I don't want to give away details of the story, but it is a very unique story.I look forward to reading some more books by the Author. I never thought I would enjoy this book, so there is something about his writing that really is pulling me toward another.
Angel Sefer
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fascinating blend of medieval historical facts, myths, and paranormal fantasy by Author Shane KP O’Neill

This is the second novel of this author that I’ve read, and I’m becoming a fan. Dark, epic, full of strong emotions, violence, and suspense, set in the 15th century Europe. Fascinating to the very last page…
Gale Stanley
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cut my teeth on vampire stories, but this author takes Dracula to a whole nother level. I really enjoyed his take on the legend, the historical setting, and the characters. It all felt so authentic and really made the story come to life for me. O’Neill is definitely a talented writer. Highly recommended.
I was lucky enough to get a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Amber Easton
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin? This is one of the unputdownable books that crawls into your heart and mind until you almost feel obsessed with knowing what's going to happen next. Seriously, it is like an addiction! The characters are mind-blowing and the writing is so powerful that I couldn't help but be sucked in from the very first page. Can't recommend it high enough! It's really that good.
Bill Swanson
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is terrific. Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the adventures of the characters. I really liked the journey this book took me on. I could not put it down. A great concept and very enjoyable to read. When I finished it was like losing a few friends. Loved the ending.
Joe DeRouen
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the Dracula Chronicles, For Whom the Bell Tolls, is just as good as the second. (I accidentally read them out of order!) O'Neill has a nice, flowing style, and his characters and believable and sympathetic. If he keeps writing them, I'll keep reading them!
This title -- seriously? 2 26 Jan 18, 2014 02:58PM

• The Black Box Of Bhopal: A Closer Look At The World's Deadliest Industrial Disaster
  • Sharpe's Gold (Sharpe, #9)
  • Agincourt
  • Hot: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth
  • Saboteurs: Wiebo Ludwig's War Against Big Oil
  • Alias Grace
  • Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883
  • Noah Primeval (Chronicles of the Nephilim, #1)
Shane KP O’Neill is the writer of The Dracula Chronicles, a new and exciting series adding a fresh dimension to the Dracula legend, which combines the real historical Vlad Dracula with a new and different version of Dracula the vampire. He has released the series in two arcs, one that follows Dracula the man and the other following Dracula the vampire.

The author developed a fascination with

The Dracula Chronicles (6 books)
  • The Lamb Of God (The Dracula Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Path To Decay (Vlad Dracula, #2) (The Dracula Chronicles, #2)
  • Birth Of The Monster (The Dracula Chronicles, #5.5)
  • Bound By Blood (Bound By Blood, #1) (The Dracula Chronicles, #6)
  • Bound By Blood: Volume 2 (Bound By Blood, #2) (The Dracula Chronicles, #7)
“Murdering each other in the name of God. It is indeed the greatest of all ironies and one that aids my cause. Long may it continue.” 1 likes