Start by marking “A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)

A Thousand Tomorrows

(Cody Gunner #1)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  5,914 Ratings  ·  370 Reviews
In this mass market edition, #1 bestselling author Karen Kingsbury weaves a powerful story of a young couple whose love must face the ultimate challenge.

Cody Gunner has no use for real love. Abandoned as a child by the person he needed the most, he swears he will never allow himself to love again. Ali Daniels denies love as well. Carrying a terrible secret, she lives life
Published April 1st 2005 by Center Street (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Tomorrows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Tomorrows

Lena Morrison
I have this book marked under Christian fiction, but I'm not sure if it should be. God was mentioned only once and Jesus never was. There were very few mentions of faith-related subjects.

I read this book for the first time four years ago. I really liked it then, but I don't really like it now. I don't dislike it, I just think it's okay. My main reason for giving it the rating I did had little to do with it not having much about Jesus in it. Karen Kingsbury is a Christian author, but I guess she
Brittany
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q3-2009
How would you deal with your dad leaving when you were five and saying that he is never coming back? well Cody Gunner didn't take it very well and struggled with anger. He thought he would never love again. Karen Kingsbury's A Thousand Tomorrows was an amazing and very interesting book.

There are five characters but Cody's dad walked out in the beginning so it doesn't say much about him. Cody has a brother named Carl Joseph, he has Down Syndrome. Cody's mom is a loving mother that was left alone
Kelvey
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I don’t really like Karen Kingsbury’s novels. But, I saw this one on my mamaw’s bookshelf and the rodeo aspect caught my eye.
Although I enjoyed it, I doubt I would read it again. When I finished the book, I felt like nothing happened although quite a bit did.
Ali and Cody’s relationship was too fast-moving for my taste, and was kind of cheesy in some parts. I felt like it could’ve been handled better and that would’ve made their relationship more relatable and realistic.
Th
Kw
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this sweet beautiful sad book this afternoon. I can
hardly wait to read more Karen Kingsbury books.
Nadwa
Warning: Proceed with caution, I'm suffering a tremendous book hangover at the moment. Yes, I finished this in a day. And surprisingly; No, I don't regret it. This book made me believe that eyes were made for a sole reason: Sobbing. And no, I don't mean casual sobbing, I mean sobbing-your-eyes-out-until-your-eyelids-are-swollen-PURPLE kind of sobbing.
I don't understand why or how I bought this book. It was released eleven years ago, it was set in the 90's, it's old-fashioned, categorized as "C
Jerry
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: After being walked out on by his NFL star father at a young age, Cody Gunner has spent his whole life being bitter. When he discovers he has an affinity for bull riding, he joins a professional riding circuit...where he meets Ali, a beautiful young woman rider. Cody can't deny the feelings he has for her, and Ali feels the same way...but, she has a big secret that could seriously threaten any hope of a relationship. Will love conquer all?

The Good: Karen Kingsbury is an excellent writer
Victoria
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
While this book did help me learn more about cystic fibrosis, this was about the only thing I liked about it. it included an unbearably unrealistic love story. Also, I was disappointed that Cody never found true forgiveness, the kind that comes only through the cross. Cody only found a sort of pseudo-forgiveness from the change Ali brought in his life. As I said, the love part was sadly unrealistic and shallow (I skipped some parts I didn't feel the need to read) considering Cody's past. I found ...more
Kim
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its good its sad and happy
Gwynette Koch
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: q3-2009
March 7, 2009

In "A Thousand Tomorrows," Karen Kingsbury tells the powerful story of two young people, both with different personal problems, who become best friends and eventually fall in love.Kingsbury, “America’s favorite inspirational storyteller,” captured me the moment I read the synopsis on the back of the book.

Cody Gunner, one of two main characters, lived a difficult life. When Cody was only eight years old his father, an ex-professional football player, left his family because his yo
Imel
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
berhubung cerita a thousand tommorow ini, salah satu tipe cerita favoritku jd kasih bintang 5

a thousand tommorow kurang lebih sama inti cerita dengan Love Story nya Erich Segal & A walk to remember (nicholas spark)

menyentuh dan tentunya byk pesan mengenai bagaimana menata kembali hubungan antar keluarga yg kurang harmonis

disini lagi-lagi ak menemukan tokoh utama pria, memiliki kerenggangan hubungan dengan orang tuanya trutama dg sang ayah (sebelumnya di Love Story, problemnya juga sama).

Adal
Sabrina Zee
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelley
This was an excellent book that I would highly recommend. It is my first Karen Kingsbury book and won't be my last, I have already bought the sequel to A Thousand Tomorrows, Just Beyond The Clouds which continues the Cody Gunner story. This book is classified as Christian Fiction but it didn't seem preachy, it does have a soft undertone of God and Christian principles in it but it isn't pushy which I like as it doesn't detract from the story, it enhances it. The main goal of this story , is love ...more
Joanie Bruce
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Warning: Spoiler alert

What can I say about this book? The writing was superb, in true Karen Kingsbury style, but the ending is sad ... something I normally do NOT like in a fiction book.

What I liked: Ms. Kingsbury makes you fall in love with the characters involved in this story. Their likes, dislikes, determination and stamina all shine through the story like sun shining through a hole in the clouds. The depth of their friendship/love is hypnotic, and it draws the reader into the story. She als
Maria Michaels
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was difficult to stay interested in this book - the only thing that made me want to keep reading was the sweet love story. That part was the best part of the book. The author did a great job in my opinion of showing how two people gradually fell in love. Otherwise, there was no surprise in the ending - you see it coming from the beginning. No surprises along the way, either.

I should quantify that I'm not a big fan of the rodeo, and this is heavily set in and around the rodeo - bull riding an
Jeanie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are sap for love stories that bring two people together with different hurts, you wil love this one. Cody with his past and the anger that he now has and Ali with the secret that keeps her fighting to be the best. I liked the back drop of the rodeo and I thought it played very well with the story. It was a very quick read that showed how forgiveness gives new begininngs along with healing. A real tear jerker. I thought it was interesting that faith was not a big part of this book however, ...more
Tess
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Loved this book from the very start. The love between the two main characters, Cody and Ali, was so real that I felt every emotion going through the chapters of their relationship. This of course included the end, where I cried throughout the last 40 pages, like a baby. I don't remember ever needing tissues (yes, plural) and having to catch my breath between sniffles when reading a book before. I loved every ounce of this story, and am greatly looking forward to the second in the series.
Jean
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about true love. This book has it all, family upsets, hate, happiness, sickness, strength, faith, sadness, and most of all the meaning of true love. Easy to feel as if you know the characters. Well worth reading.
T.M.
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bring the tissues. Touching story worthy of a full box of tissues. One of her best novels.
Meghan Tharp
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cried and cried in this book...I cannot express how much I loved it.
Kathy
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the best Karen Kingsbury books I've read so far! Sometimes, when you looking for it or not, love finds you and you'll do anything to hang on to it.
Sam
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ah-freakin-mazing
Emily
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I cried so much... oh my goodness. Such an adorable and tragic love story!
Colin
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspirational story. you'll cry, you'll get angry, you'll get spellbound. You will appreciate life, you will appreciate the importance of time. Sure you'll weep a thousand tears!
NB NB
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story, beautifully written. My first Karen Kingsbury novel, but I'll be reading a ton more!!
Casey
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very intriguing book that kept me reading. I cried a lot of the time but it was a wonderful book.
Lynn Grier
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful and sad story and I loved it. This was my first book by Karen Kingsbury. I just could not put it down. I will read more books by this author.
Laura Pina
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible story of love and passion for life between two young people.
Crystal
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
Now, This is my kind of book. Kingsbury pulls the heartstrings in this touching novel about love that never fails, forgiveness, courage and hope in the midst of life's biggest storms. Cody Gunner is filled with rage and bitterness after life deals him a tough hand early in life. he turns to bull riding to channel that anger and relieve its boiling pressure inside of him. he meets Ali Daniels, a mysterious barrel racer with a deep secret. Kingsbury weaves a tale that challenges and inspires the r ...more
Hailey Rose
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cried. Couldn't see the page I was crying so hard. Why do Karen Kingsbury books do this to me??? The last time I cried over a book was one of hers--yeah. She's an amazing author. This book is no exception. I got so attached to the characters, my time with them felt too short. But it's so good. Though some of the cystic fibrosis treatments explained in the book are a little outdated, it definitely serves the purpose of raising awareness for CF.

Beautiful, heartbreaking, and altogether incredibl
  • Emerald Windows
  • Before I Wake
  • The Parting (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #1)
  • Every Storm
  • Lonestar Secrets (Lonestar, #2)
  • The Pattern of Her Heart
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. Her Baxter Family books are being developed into a TV series slated f ...more

Cody Gunner (2 books)
  • Just Beyond the Clouds (Cody Gunner, #2)
“Because love was a light that wouldn't allow darkness to reign in his soul.” 15 likes