Start by marking “Playing for Love at Deep Haven (Enchanted Places, #1)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Love at Deep Haven (Enchanted Places, #1)

Playing for Love at Deep Haven (Enchanted Places #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,658 Ratings  ·  294 Reviews
She was the girl. The only girl. The only girl I ever wanted. The only girl I ever loved. The only girl I could ever love. And I killed it. I destroyed it. I threw her love away. For nine years, I've kept the memory of her locked in the deepest corner of my heart... all the while hating myself for what I did to her. To us.

Now, without warning, she's walked back into my li
Published January 10th 2014 by Katy Regnery (first published January 8th 2014)

Katy Regnery
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I can't even tell you all how much I loved writing this book. I hope you all enjoy reading it. :) xoxo
Danielle
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Wow! What can I say about this book?

I had read Katy's Heart of Montana books and was told that her Enchanted Places series was very different and written at "a moderate heat level". Since I grew up reading Harlequin Blaze books and other racier romance novels filled with sex scenes, I figured that Enchanted Places would be right up my alley.

However, Enchanted Places isn't just an ordinary romance novel. It's an emotional roller coaster put into
Geri Reads
Stopped at 35%

Eff you, book slump!!

I'm sorry but I just can't get into it. I'm having a hard time connecting to the characters. When that happens, I'm pretty much done.

Or maybe I'm just not in the mood. I don't know whether I'll get back into it in the near future but for now, I'm done. No rating though.

*sigh*

Two DNFs for me already. Ugh. And it's only January. Double ugh.

I have to iterate that this is just my opinion. I would encourage you guys to try this one and see if it works for yo
Yenin
One word, Z... ♡(◎>∀<◎)♡

They strongly loved each other, but neither of them were sure about the other part's feelings. Not knowing that "It was every human being's dream to connect with someone the way they connected with each other." --Quoting the author herself--

Oh Violet, Vile, Vile, Vile, I think you said it too soon my dear, you scared the boy, that one, overwhelmed, frightened little boy, that never saw affection in his short life and, you didn't give him the chance to... adjust. If
Negar Arvanaghi
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So many emotions. You're up, you're down, you're frustrated with one, then the other, you feel sorry for a dead guy and want to kick an old man with arthritis in the balls. All in the same book. You had better carve out several hours for this, because this is not a book you want to take several days reading.

It went by too fast, but the payoff was great. That just means I get to read it again.

I usually hate flashbacks because most authors who use this technique do so randomly, which interrupts t
Krystle ~A Booknatic~
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank the author for asking me to read “Playing for Love at Deep Haven” in exchange for an honest review! I've read and enjoyed (a lot, actually) the previous books from this author, BUT THIS BOOK??? Whoa. Just. Whoa. Playing for love has an edge to it. A sexy, sexy edge. With the Hero of the book portrayed as this bad-ass songwriter/rocker, whose body is beautifully sculpted – both by muscles and tattoos – and he has the long shaggy hair, long enough to tie back off his shoulders goin ...more
Bette Hansen
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in what should be an incredible series by Katy Regnery. Playing for Love is an emotional second chance story that will have you laughing, crying, and reading way past bedtime!! After nine years fate steps in to bring Zach and Violet back together. College friends turned lovers have never forgotten each other but they are both so different now and past hurts run deep. You definitely want to read their incredible story. Recommended for everyone 18+
Lydia H
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love second chance romances and Katy Regnery did not disappoint! I have quickly become a huge fan of hers! I absolutely loved everything about Zach and Violet’s story. To me, this is a must read!! It has amazing lead characters, an incredible and realistic plot, and a fantastic balance between steamy, heartbreaking, funny, and ‘angsty’ scenes.
“She lived persistently, achingly, in his heart, tormenting him in quiet moments. Losing her and her love was like a curse: He was convinced that it wo
Jewel Book Lover
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A book full of emotions, amazing. Violet and Zach are two characters you can relate to, real. This is a second chance love story between two people that hurt each other, and made the wrong choice. After several years apart, fate works its magic, and they met again, but, as in real life, only trust and true love that never die, will bring forgiveness. For V and Z the way to happiness is not easy, they need to forget the past, to forgive themselves and each other, learn to trust and love again. A ...more
Toni
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Playing for love at deep haven is the first book in Katy Regnery's Enchanted Places series. You will fall in love with this book unforgettable love reunites the two main characters to the same small town for two different reasons where they both have rented the same place without knowing of course one leaves to find another place to stay but are they willing to let the past go to continue with their future together. There is ups and downs between the two main characters but are they willing to r ...more
Linda Rimer-Como
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do second chances at love really exist? Can two people overcome the terrible hurt they caused one another to love again? This is a fantastic story of learning to trust yourself and each other to heal years of hurt, longing, confusion and a love that never died. Loved this book and look forward to more in the Enchanted Places series by the wonderful author Katy Regnery. Her stories take you in and hold you captivated through the entire story.

Revived ARC for review
Angie
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you’ve read anything by Katy you know she has written two sweet Christmas romances based on a small town in Montana. I fell in love with her writing and couldn’t wait to read her newest release. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Playing for Love at Deep Haven for an honest review. Katy warned me beforehand that this one had a little more heat, and she wasn’t kidding. This is a great story of second chance love, but be prepared for a lot of steamy scenes and course language. I always lov ...more
Barbara Garren
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
THIS! This is what a good romance looks like! Real characters, warts and all, with will hangups and setbacks and a romance that doesn't move in a straight line, but suffers all the twists and turns of real life.

Characters who say and do stupid things, making mistakes, misunderstanding words, gestures, actions and leading with their heart, battered and damaged as it may be, just for a chance to take back what they think they lost. There's nothing fabricated or cliche, nothing that rings untrue a
Shari
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of second chance love. Is it fate or want for Zach and Violet . It will take you an emotional roller coaster with flashbacks from their college days. I would get so bad at both of the characters, that I would just want to shake them. Then there would be good times, to bring smiles to my face. So much of the story was PCP- practice, compose and perform in bed and out of bed. Loved it.
This is the first in the Enchanted Places series,looking forward to reading the next book in the
Spring Adams
Dec 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I loved this book. Playing for love at deep haven is the first book in Katy Regnery's Enchanted Places series. I really loved the characters in this book. They are very true to life. I felt like I could relate to the circumstances of their relationship. Playing for love at deep haven is a sweet yet at times an emotional story that you won't be able to put down. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a romance lover or a fan of Katy's. She never disappoints.
Kris Finley
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Violet, writer and poet... and Zach, musician and songwriter… were college sweethearts. Fate throws them back together nine years later, and the embers of their young love quickly ignite to form a raging inferno. “ Playing for Love at Deep Haven” is a lovely story that explores the lives, feelings, and fears of Violet and Zach-both from their past and their present in a charming, fun, easy to read style. It is readily apparent the author is a musician and poet (or did extensive research) as both ...more
Jo - *✽*•.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•*✽*
I listened to the audio version of this story. It was an okay read for me, second chance love between two people who met at college, fell in love, parted ways and then fate throws them back together 10 years later.

They have both had very different lives since the last saw each other but the only thing that has remained constant is their love for each other.
Marijke Smit
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, I could see the formulaic aspect of it immediately and I worried that the book would be impossible to finish. Once I put aside that thought and allowed myself to enjoy the book, I actually finished it in one evening. The writing is well done. While not needing a dictionary beside me to look up unknown words, it did not talk down to me. The interspersion of poetry is a really nice touch, as is the addition of lyrics from a variety of musicians. For many of the re ...more
Amy Mcfarland
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Playing for Love at Deep Haven (Enchanted Places, Book 1) was an AMAZING story of possible second chances, Love and Honor. While I was reading this book, I was so entralled in the story line. I hated to have interupptions while I was trying to read it. I was ON EDGE through the whole book trying to anticipate what would happen next and what they would choose to do. It is a real life possiblity love triangle type story. I was soooo impressed with the way this book was written.
The heart knows wha
Debbie
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It has strong characters and a strong plot. You can relate to the story line. You feel as if you are going through what Violet and Zach are. You experience many emotions reading this, love, anger, desire. There were a few moments where I just shook my head and thought no way, not again. Pick up a copy, you will not be disappointed. Each book I read by Katy Regnery just gets better and better. It is time well spent.
Courtney
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This was so much deeper and more moving than your standard romance novel. I was transported back to college and felt like I knew these characters. I will definitely be reading more of Katy Regnery's work!
Shelley
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
ARC generously provided from publisher via NetGalley for honest review.

Violet Smith and Zach Aubrey have history…
…the kind of history he regrets and she wishes she could forget.

Everyone remembers their first love, and their first heart break. Unfortunately for Violet and Zach they are the same for each other. Violet fell for Zach at Yale and even though nine years have past she has never been able to forget him or get over her love for him. What is even worse is that the pain he caused changed h
Jeannie Zelos
Playing for Love at Deep Haven. Katy Regnery

Review from Jeannie Zelos Book reviews.
I was a teen in the 70's, and at weekends there was always a live band playing somewhere, even in the tiny rural area I lived. So anything with rock bands and romance gets a second look, and this sounded one I’d like....second chances, they always appeal too cos I like the thought of true love, fate and all that ( I know...I'm just a sap really!)
Anyway Violet meets Zach after nine years and... he's more than she
Jaime Fiction Fangirls Book Review
Such an amazing and beautiful book. Full review to come during my blog tour stop on Jan. 21st.

Review:
This is a beautiful, realistic story of first loves and second chances.
Unlike a lot of the popular romances out now, Playing for Love is a more realistic take on college sweethearts that ended their relationship on a bad note only to have fate step in and reconnect them.
Violet, like the flower, and Zach's story was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. As college friends they had one passionate n
Delilah
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Disclaimer: I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

My reaction after finishing Playing for Love at Deep Haven--- WHOA! And I didn't mean it in a negative.

This book is amazing!

I love all of Katy's work so far, but I have to say this one is definitely my favorite of hers.

The plot is brilliant. And I enjoyed Violet and (especially) Zach very much. I wasn't expecting a lot of steam in this novel, but oh boy does Katy bring it!

What I loved about this novel the most compared to Katy's o
Dísir
What kind of masochist would take part in this? Apparently the answer seems to point back to me.

Having been scorched and thoroughly burnt by a book I read recently, I fell back into what appears to be the exact plot and trope rehashed here, which left me beyond incredulous and unimpressed with the compendium of clichés and the laughably predictable behaviour of protagonists who simply acted the way I thought they would.

I’m tempted to sentence the second-chance romance to the death penalty.

Kat
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
During her time at Yale, Violet Smith was a free spirit in love with writing poetry who interweaved herself into Zack Aubrey’s life one night by happenstance. He was the musical boy genius who lived down the hall. They became fast friends who did everything together. One weekend while on campus alone, they took things to another level when they slept together. After professing her feelings for him, Zach promptly rejected Violet and broke her heart.

Fast forward nine years life for both has change
The Bookish Chick
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I really just love reading stories about second chances. Zack and Violet's story is a journey about letting go of the past and grabbing on to the present, closing one door to open another. Theirs is an emotional journey, how lost love and broken hearts changes a person. I like the spark between Z and Vile, I like how different they are from one another yet at the same time perfectly compliment each other. This read was quite a bit steamier than the other books I've read by K.R., so those of you ...more
Clare
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'll be upfront here, and say that i won this as an ARC in a competition. I'm VERY happy to have won it, too!! I loved loved loved this book!! I wish that I could un-read it and start again! I'm an inveterate skim-reader, and I can honestly say that I read every word of this story, I was so taken in with the lives of Zach and Violet. It was heart-breaking and heart-warming all at the same time. I'll be looking out for Cora and James' story when that comes out, that's for sure!
Monica Cullip
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Playing for Love at Deep Haven
Enchanted Places Book One
Kate Regnery
This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review by Net Galley.
Nine years ago Violet Smith was going to Yale and writing poetry, Zach Aubrey was also going to Yale and studying music, they lived on the same floor at the dorm, they spent all their free time together. They spent an unforgettable weekend together where the young first time lovers learned everything about each other. She professed her love, he ran.
Nine ye
  • When I Look to the Sky (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #2)
  • Zenith Fulfilled (Zenith Trilogy, #3)
  • Blushing (The Brightside, #2)
  • Drowning (Tears of Sin, #1)
  • The Letter
  • Only in Dreams (Stubborn Love, #2)
  • Ache (Punk, #1)
  • Learn to Fly
  • Forbidden Ballad - Rock My World
  • Epic (Fierce, #3)
  • Savage Rhythm (Club Volare, #6)
  • Rock'n Tapestries (Rock'n Tapestries, #1)
  • Beautiful Music
  • Incite: Adam (Sphere of Irony #1)
  • Unbreakable 2: The Mystery of Lilly (Cypress Grove, #2)
  • Young Love Lost
  • Titan
  • Rockstar Romance Boxed Set
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Katy Regnery started her writing career by enrolling in a short story class in January 2012. One year later, she signed her first contract and Katy’s first novel was published in September 2013.

Now exclusively self-published, Katy claims authorship of the multi-titled Blueberry Lane Series, which follows the English, Winslow, Rousseau, Story, and Amb
More about Katy Regnery

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“I love you. I’ve always loved you. And I’ll go on loving you until I don’t anymore.” 9 likes
“Familiar like a forgotten song from long ago that takes you back to a moment the second you hear it. And you recognize who you were. Then. And now. And you have to figure out how to reconcile the two.” 8 likes