Start by marking “Footprints (Deception #1)” as Want to Read:
Footprints (Deception #1)

Footprints

(Deception #1)

Standing by she watches her father leave board the huge grey beast. Taking him to who knows where. As a young girl, her mother raised her whilst her father was away at war. A single mother of sorts.

She saw familiar faces come and go, Flags wave in the breeze, Engines growl as they shut down. Each time the faces grew less and less.

Tragedy struck, leaving Riley and her mothe
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Footprints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Footprints

Ena May - Swoon Worthy Books/Enticing Journey Book Promotions
3 1/2 Star Review

First let me start off by saying that I love a good military romance because it’s something that affects me in my personal life. I will usually read anything military related and most of the times I am extremely hard on these books because I know what it’s like to love a man in uniform.

Footprints is a love story, yes but I think it is so much more than yet. I think Nicky did a beautiful job on giving us a character, Riley, that we can bond with. I became emotional attached to h
Books&Dreams
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
 photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

I was given this book as an ARC for an honest review.
I gave this book 4 stars.

This is Riley and Tanner's story.
This is a military story.

Riley has had enough loss in her life when she loses her father while he is serving his country. She has never gotten over the fact that he never came back when he said that he would. She promises herself that she will not fall for a military man. But that is hard because she is still living where she grew up, near all of the military men and woman. It has be
Donna ~
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book blew me away. It was full of real emotion and brought me to tears after just reading the prologue.

"You are my strength, I will wait for you, I will smile for you. I will think of you always. Visit me in my dreams daddy. I love you." ~ Riley

If that didn't just get your attention then I don't know what will. I knew from this cover that this book was going to be AMAZING and I am happy to say that it was just that.

My heart broke for Riley and the sense of loss she carried with her. Riley
Book Junky Girls
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

Riley lost her father at a young age. She was familiar with saying goodbyes to him every time he left to do his job. He was a military man and her hero. The heartache she felt when he didn’t return from duty…broke her.

Riley refused to lose another person the same way she had lost her father. She would not live the life her mother chose to live. Soldiers…men of war, she could not allow herself to fall for one. They were banned from her heart, she wouldn’t fall…or would she?

Tanner retur
Megan
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Am I the only one who noticed that Riley or Rylie was spelled different every chapter?? That drove me nuts. Not to mention, this book was really hard to get behind...8 hours with a guy and you're in love? Especially with the type guy that you swore you would never get attached to because he's just like your 'daddy'? It reminds me of middle school aged girls falling 'in love' with their boyfriend of a week. It just makes me rolls my eyes. Sorry, this book was just okay.. Nothing special and nothi ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really great well written story.

After seven years Riley is still struggling with the loss of her father who was serving for his country. Even though she lives near the military she vows never to get near any military men. That is until she meets Tanner.

This is a really great emotional read about two hurt and broken people who need to heal.

Highly recommend this story.
Gretchen Anderson
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
WOW! You will spend the first 10% of this book in TEARS!!! Like literally running down your face tears!!! But it’s so worth it. Such an amazing story!! So many wonderful people in Riley’s life and she couldn’t live without them and she’s grateful for them, but they are also hard reminders of the past. Her uncle and his friend that runs the local eatery all served with her dad at some point. It’s hard for her to even walk around her hometown since everyone knows she’s the girl whose dad died.

Rile
Books Laid Bare
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This will make you cry, of that I have absolutely no doubt.
Riley is the daughter of a military father that spends way too much of her younger years away from home on deployment and who is eventually taken from her completely, when he doesn’t make it back from his latest mission.
Devastated the young Riley makes herself a promise that she will protect her heart at all costs and will not suffer the heart ache that mother endured, military men are off her agenda – forever.
She is able to hold firm to
Sami ♥'s Books
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
** Book was provided free of charge from author as a betaread**

Footprints is heartwarming story about finding true love after loss, and letting your guard down.

Ten years ago, Riley said goodbye to her father for the final time while seeing him off on a deployment mission. Now she's a college student who has kept most people at a distance, afraid to get close to anyone. She doesn't go to parties, she doesn't date, she definitely doesn't get attached to military men.

Then one day, she meets Tanner.
Layla Stevens
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Ten years ago, Riley said goodbye to her father for the final time while seeing him off on a deployment mission. She doesn't go to parties, she doesn't date, and def don't get attached to military men.

Then one day, she meets Tanner. She is determined to keep her distance from him, refusing to fall in lo
One Messy Mama The Honest Mom Blog
I received this book from Roses Book Snobs for an honest review.

Footprints is a lovely book which I am sure many people who have lost loved ones can relate to. With Riley's father killed in action, she faces many emotional demons in coming to terms with her grief.

Anticipating yet another heartbreaking anniversary of her fathers death, she meets the mysterious Tanner. Tall, dark and handsome, Tanner catches Riley off-guard. The emotional tension between the two of them is frightening yet exciting
Casey Harvell
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a phenomenal emotional ride! Riley's life ha fate hasn't been easy. Losing her father takes a great toll on her. And seeing as he lost his life serving his country, she swears to herself that she'll never fall in love with a military man. This isn't an issue for some time. Then, one day, fate comes quite literally crashing into her, in an overwhelmingly-hot package going by the name of Tanner.

Tanner's a soldier busy fighting his own demons. Will he be able to persevere? And if he do
Teresa Gomez
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Footprints is a great story about letting your guard down and finding true love.

Riley had said bye to her father for the last time when she saw him off on a deployment mission. That was ten years ago. Now she doesn't' go to parties, date, or get attached to men. Especially military men. Now she's in college and she still keeps people at a distance, afraid to let anyone get too close.

Then she met Tanner. At first she is determined to keep her distance. She can't stand the chance of someone else b
Rumpled Sheets Blog
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Breathtaking beautiful, emotional, heartwarming and touching story.

This is the story of Riley, a girl who had a hard time dealing with the death of her father for years, but then one day he came into her life. Tanner. She tried to stay away from him. To keep the distance because he is a soldier and she didnt want to lose another person close to her heart because of the war.

She couldnt fight the feelings she has for him. She left her guard down because she found love.

Simply loved it. Well done Ni
My Secret Book Spot
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
“Footprints” by Nicky Jayne
3 out of 5 stars

Deep, moving, contemplative, epic…all of these words could be used to describe “Footprints” by Nicky Jayne. It’s a look at how tragedy can shape a young person’s life and then, eventually, be the catalyst for new beginnings.

Riley is a broken girl. After losing her solider father to war, she has built a wall around herself so high that no one gets in. She has sworn to never let herself be vulnerable to love again, especially with anyone associated with t
Beth Hurley
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of a 3 part series. I really enjoyed this story it will make you cry. It's very emotional story it even have me chill bumps a few times. I've never read a story that has to do with the military but this story made it seem like it was you in the characters shoes instead of just a book.
Riley's Dad is in the military and always being deployed. But one time after his deployment something happens that leave Riley devastated. Riley vows she will never fall in love with a militar
CB AvidReader
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So…Can I just say that I really, really, really love this book? From the very beginning I was hooked and I couldn’t fall asleep without finishing it (cause you know I had to start it right before I was supposed to go to bed.) This book had everything I usually love about books in it. There was loss, heartbreak, hot guys, and falling in love for the first time. The fact that it was military themed was just a bonus for me.
Riley is a girl who knows what heartbreak is. After suffering a tragic loss
Hooked On Books
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Footprints is a beautiful love story, that's all it is !
It follows the story of Rilley who's father was killed in action at war. It takes years for her and her mother to come to terms with his death. On the anniversary she falls for Tanner, a soldier who is also going out to war. But will she wait for him when she vowed never to put herself in her mothers shoes ?

I just found it hard to connect with the characters in this book, I didn't feel it. I couldn't feel the connection with Rilley and Tann
reading the sheets
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rileys father was away at war so it was just her and her mother until tragedy atruck leaving them to fend for themselves.
Life wasn’t easy for Riley and her mother.Seven years later she still mourns her father and vows never to fall for a man in the military….until Tanner crashes into her life.Tanners on leave and visiting his sister and his father he didn’t plan on meeting Riley but when he does everything changes.She cant help but fall for him,she tries to fight it.Riley doesn’t know hes leavin
Haley Lynne
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since the beginning of a book made me cry. As a daughter of a military father, I connected with Riley right away. The pain of watching your father leave and not know if he will come home is unbearable. The connection that happens between Tanner and Riley is perfect. Because you always hear of that electric connection between two people, here you could feel it. The love that grows between them, even in the short time they are together is still so strong. You find yourself being ...more
Ajs  Book Reviews
Nov 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Riley has lost her dad while he was over seas protecting his country. Her dad was her world and she just can't quite deal with life without him in it.

Tanner is a military boy. His sister is friends with Riley. He is immediately drawn to her.

Riley starts to fall for Tanner, even though she doesn't want to be with someone who is in the lifestyle her dad was in. She can't deal with it but all that is thrown out the window. Tanner wants Riley to wait for him while he's away.

This is a bittersweet sto
United Indie Book Blog
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book from Roses Book Snobs for an honest review.

Erica
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best stories I've read in a very long time.
The pain Riley suffers for seven years is heart breaking. I cried a few times reading this. The loss of her father who she loved so much caused her relentless pain, causing her to shy away from her soulmate simply because he was military like her father.

Tanner is special ops, his life is exactly what Riley can't let herself be a part of. He's a broken man, just as broken as Riley but she doesn't know.

I won't giveaway too much but this
Tracy
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can you say ugly cry? I was a mess with Footprints. When Riley's father died, I wanted to stop right there but yet I couldn't put the book down! What a heartfelt story between Riley and Tanner. You want them together so bad, but he doesn't want to get close to her and she doesn't want to lose her heart again. The tension was almost too much for me, I was yelling!!!
The read was smooth and consistant it was believable and seemed so real.I actually had a book hangover! I wanted more!!!!
This book wa
Michelle Holloway
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chell-s-shelf
I absolutely love this book! Riley has been through something that I would hope no one would ever have to go through. In that, she closes herself off, limits her possibilities and without realizing it, cuts herself short on happiness. Tanner, who is SPEC OPS, has seen his fair share of heartbreak and tragedy. He knows he is broken, and feels that he isn't capable of giving someone what they need. These two broken souls meet. They have an instant connection. But will Riley's self made rules and l ...more
Mari
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc for an honest review.
Wow This book was so touching. Riley lost her father at a young age and it scarred her. Riley was living her life as best she could, just as her mother was. Until Tanner came into her life. It was an instant attraction, but they were both fighting it. They are both broken Riley who lost her father in the war and Tanner a special ops Man. They are both so scared, Tanner from everything he has seen. Its finally taken a toll on him. Poor Riley who is trying
Lynn
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing

This is a beautifully written tale of love, loss & so much more.

After literally crashing into each others lives Riley & Tanner are both thrown for a loop! Each broken in their own way, they fight their own internal battles.
In the end what will win, head or heart?

Nicky has painted such a vivid picture with her words I really could visualise the scenes she set. There is so much more I want to say but fear I may get too carried away & spoil things. This really is a journey that should
The BookAddict Mom
This was a very emotional read for me and at times hard to get through. In the end, I am very happy I did.

Years after losing her father, Riley is determined to not make the same mistake her mother made by giving her heart to a military man yet when she meets Tanner, a unstoppable force draws them together.

I find it very hard to go into further detail about this book without giving too much away, but overall, Footprints is an emotional read that at many times will have you in tears but so worth
Antie
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. You will need a box of tissues for the beginning. It hit very close to home for me, but I loved every word of it. Tanner and Riley are just amazing characters. They maybe "broken" but they are amazing. I love Riley's courage and I love how Tanner can bring out the true person she is. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a true love story. This is a book I will read over and over. I cannot wait for the next book in Tanner and Riley's story.
Wendi Hulsey
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Heartfelt(Loved it)
I absolutely loved this story and it pulled at my heartstrings (something not easily done with me), the incredible bond that she had with her father was truly incredible and you feel it on every page written. The comes along Tanner (oh yum) and he comes along at just the time in her life when she needs someone most. The bond they create in a short time is so strong and you find yourself praying that he comes back to her. Great job Nicky!
Fantastic Read 1 6 Dec 03, 2013 03:00PM

• Conquering Circumstances (Black Shamrocks MC, #3.5)
  • Southern Roots (Southern Roots #1)
  • Don't Close Your Eyes (Don't Close Your Eyes, #1)
  • A Fighting Chance (Running Into Love, #4)
  • Jayde (Behind the Words, #2)
  • Liv's Existence
  • Dash: Volume 2 (Dash #2)
  • Sunset Vibrations
  • Hunger (The Seductors Series, #2)
  • Ultimate Deception (Harden, #2)
  • Broken Until You
  • Pan's Salvation (Dueling Devils, #5)
  • One Night Stand
  • Loverboy
  • Surviving Brooklyn (Brooklyn, #1)
  • Hooked: The Complete Collection (Hooked, #1-3)
  • The Price of Love
  • Going the Distance (Down for the Count, #2)
Nicky Jayne was born and raised in England but now resides in Las Vegas with her Husband and two boys. When she is not writing, she has her nose firmly placed in a book.
She released her first series in September 2013. The Embrace Series, Embracing Life and Embracing Love.
You can visit her at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nicky-...

Deception (4 books)
  • Taking Flight (Deception #2)
  • Grounded (Deception #3)
  • Forgiven (Deception #4)