Start by marking “Autumn Killing” as Want to Read:
Autumn Killing

Autumn Killing

(Malin Fors #3)

Police superintendent Malin Fors returns in this chilling third novel from the critically acclaimed author of Midwinter Blood, the first in the series and “a splendid representative of the Swedish crime novel, in all its elegance and eeriness” (Booklist, starred review).

Autumn rains are pouring down on the Swedish countryside, but it’s the discovery of a brutally stabbed
Published September 23rd 2014 by Emily Bestler Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Autumn Killing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Autumn Killing

Start your review of Autumn Killing
Tried hard, read almost 50% but couldn't finnish it. Let's move on.
Pilvi
It has started to annoy me that in every thriller the main police character has an alcohol problem or has messed up his/her personal relationships etc. Why can't the police be normal?! I do get it that it's easier to make them more interesting with all sorts of flaws, but non-problematic people can be interesting too. It just requires more writing skills from the writer...

Otherwise Mons Kallentoft was a good new acquiantance to me, and I'll very likely read more of his books if I come across
Ken Fredette
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Finally finished Autumn Killing. Everybody gets to say something in this book. Keeping track of all the people wasn't a problem, but you wonder how Malin holds up under all the pressure.
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
While the previous book ended on an optimistic note (on a personal level), this book is pretty much all darkness - both for Fors personally, most of her co-workers, and the killers victims. It was painful to see Malin make such bad choices in her personal life, and I really felt for her in this book.

The mystery part is pretty strong. There were a few red herrings, and I thought that Katarina and Jerry's romance could have been developed a little more (I kept thinking that something was going to
Ancestral Gael
Why did I read it? I had read the first two books in the Malin Fors series, Midwinter Sacrifice and "Summertime Death". I had enjoyed the former far more than the latter, and I had hoped "Autumn Killing" was a return to form for Mons Kallentoft.

What's it about? Jerry Petersson's body is found in the moat of Skogså Castle, his home. A self-made man, he obtained the castle from a family that had owned it for generations upon his return to his hometown of Linköping. Malin Fors struggles with the
Katherine
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, first-reads
This book was at first difficult to get into. The rhythm was chaotic and the syntax kept changing making it even more so. In addition, italicized lengthy paragraphs appearing to be the thoughts of the corpse were disconcerting. Still, something drew me into the story. Maybe the unusual presentation, which I though might have to do with the fact that it was translated from the Swedish. Though it was slow going in the beginning, the story started to unfold and move more rapidly and smoothly. The ...more
Mary
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I struggled with this book and at times felt I was back at school, trying to get through reading an assigned novel, that was good but just not great, but I kept going to the end. It's a style of writing that takes a bit of getting used to. Maybe a tad high-brow for a crime/murder thriller, which is actually more police procedural. It was slow through the middle, you started to wonder if the police would ever get anywhere with it. Not Kallentofts best work, "Midwinter Sacrifice" was a much better ...more
CarolineFromConcord
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe because I have read all the mysteries by this author, I figured out who the perp was early on. But as ever, the characters and the psychology are interesting.

Kallentoft is an unusual mystery writer in that he always shows how "evil" is created, usually from extreme childhood abuse. The technique of having the victims "talk" to detective Malin Fors after their death sort of softens the gruesomeness -- they seem still alive.

This novel starts with the murder of a very wealthy man who rose
Gloria Feit
Apr 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This long and tedious novel in the Malin Fors series starts off slowly as the detective inspector continues to recoil from the near murder of her daughter in a previous installment. She can’t meet the terms of her relationship with the girl or her ex-husband, with whom has rejoined. So she begins to drink heavily, jeopardizing the love of both as well as her job. At the same time, Malin and her team of detectives are mired down in a murder case involving a rich attorney/businessman who has ...more
Bachyboy
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book because generally I am a fan of Swedish crime novels. Without sounding like a psychopath, I found the murder unengaging and I struggled at times with the writing style of the author. There is so much stream of consciousness writing with a plethora of rhetorical questions and minor sentences. That coupled with a mountain of difficult Swedish names and dead bodies that get their own voice, left me wanting to hurry up and finish it.
Mike Cuthbert
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mons Kallentoft does in this book what he has done before: he outlines detective police superintendent Malin Fors’ life and interrupts the continuity with a murder or two that Fors must investigate. She is a dedicated officer but she is also a drunk so her job and her life often collide with life being the loser. The murder this time is of a playboy prominent in Linköping life and history, Jerry Petersson. He has been living “the Castle,” formerly owned by the family Fägelsjö, several members of ...more
Daniel
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant! Mons is undoubtedly the best modern crime writer.

I love the way he integrates the bleak and at times relentless Swedish weather with the moods of the major characters, including the killer and the detectives, who themselves seem to be struggling with mental challenges as strong and warped as the psychopathic killer they pursue!

One thing I really love about Mons’ crime books, and this book is perhaps the strongest example of this, is he is a real story teller, a seasoned
Lisa
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have not read other books in this series so this was my initial intro to the character of police detective Malin Fors. The mystery is straightforward enough. Rich, self-made and ruthless upstart Jerry Peterson is found murdered in the castle he recently purchased from the Fagelsjo family. The family was forced to sell their hereditary home due to financial problems and want it back desperately, but Peterson refuses to sell. Hence the members of the Fagelsio family become the main suspects in ...more
Pat Haber
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
i must admit from the top here that i am not going to finish this book, so perhaps it gets better. i find that it is dark just to be dark. Every character has some problem, and we're introduced to that right away. i felt the author confused depth of character with darkness of character, i.e., they are all either alcoholic, depressed, recently divorced, lonely, or whatever. And oh, the corpse talks to us in underlined script.
I may try another by this author as i really like the genre of
David Hallstrom
I very much enjoyed the first two books in the Malin Fors series, but the third installment is a rambling mess. There is a slightly interesting crime at the heart of the book that is surrounded with so much noise, multiple narrators and needless characters that I can understand why people would stop reading the book. There are moments when I wish I had.

I liked the first two enough that I will continue with the series and if the next one stinks like this, I will be done.
Travis Haugen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The story was a tad bit slow in the beginning. It took me a bit to figure out each character, and how they fit into the story. It did pick up and i rather enjoyed the mystery and how the plot unfolded.
I felt for Malin, how she relates to the dead, her drinking problems as well as her messed up family life.
Ed Terrell
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-fiction
Mons Kallentoft steps up to the plate and hits one out of the park with this fast moving Scandinavian thriller. Our heroine (if you can call her that), is Malin, a bright female detective, with a host of personal problems, not the least of which is drinking. There is a lot to keep track of and I got lost in the host of names at several points along the way but I am looking forward to try another.
Susanne
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as the first two in the Malin Fors series. The homicide team spends 7/8 of the novel getting nowhere so, pretty boring. Some filler about the characters personal lives. But the real drag on the narrative is endless internal dialogues by Malin about her daughter. And her drunken binges. Disappointing.
Pamela
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 for me - just OK. It was an interesting story and mystery, but I wasn’t a fan of the main character Malin. And I didn’t like the writing style of the “voices” that hovered over the scenes and either spoke to no one, to Malin, or to each other. I won’t read the others in the series.
Lauren Rodgers
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Drags a bit but that build up the tension in the story. An overall great book
Ranjana
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
This book picked up a little towards the end. But not as good as his other books in this series.
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimepieces
Autumn Killing is the third book in the Malin Fors series by Mons Kallentoft. The series so far has been distinguished by excellent characterisation and a fragmented narrative style that has suited the often disturbing plots. Kallentoft has taken a brave stance with some of the themes in his books. In thrillers we normally get a resolution of sorts, but Kallentoft has deliberately kept the assault of a young woman unresolved throughout the series. Here, the case is mentioned once more but the ...more
Lucy Qhuay

Mons Kallentoft has truly made up for the not so good stuff in the previous book in the series and he is, without a doubt, on top of his game with Autumn Killing.

Gosh, how this one hit me right in the feels!

So much has happened and the emotions I felt while reading the book almost overwhelmed me.

All we have is a huge cast of broken characters, all trying to come up to terms with the lives they have, the choices they made and the consequences of said choices.

And, trust me, things aren't pretty.
Paul Pessolano
“Autumn Killing” by Mons Kallentoft, published by Emily Bestler Books.

Category – Mystery/Thriller Publication Date – September 23, 2014

This is the third in a series featuring Malin Fors, a young woman police detective on the Swedish Police Force. In “Summer Death” Malin’s daughter, Tove, is almost killed when she is confronted by a murderer being pursued by her mother.

In “Autumn Killing” Malin is plagued by guilt and has become an alcoholic. She has become separated from her husband and daughter
Ann
Jul 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this novel as a Goodreads first-reads giveaway.
Despite not having read the first two books in this police procedural series I believe that I quickly came up to speed on the essentials of the main character, Malin Fors, and her previous life experiences including a failed marriage and failed reconciliation, and the rescue of her teenage daughter from an attempted murder. Though known as a brilliant police investigator in a small Swedish city Malin has many flaws, among them a rapidly
Jim
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, mystery
The atmosphere of this tale is bleak, depressing, and dim, almost overwhelmingly so. It is a rainy autumn in Linköping, Sweden, so rainy that the rats have been driven from the flooding drains into the streets above. The primary character, Police Superintendent Malin Fors’ personal life is in shambles. She drinks to blur her pain and cannot find the will to save her marriage and give her family the love they need. She is a sad and angry woman and only in work can she find focus. When a wealthy ...more
Thomas Devine
Lead character Malin Fors certainly frustrates the reader with her mindless alcoholism (not really explained in the book) and her inability to follow-through on her feelings towards her teenage daughter. At the same time it makes you want to keep reading to find out if she will deal with her devils or not. In some ways her going into rehab at the end of the book is an anti-climax, much as you hope it will be her salvation.

All in all, she became a character I cared about.

The most unusual feature
Amanda
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Heavy, heavy, heavy. Our girl Malin Fors is cracking up and drowning herself in tequila. It is so bad her colleagues are concerned. Plus, she keeps having these dreams...

Everyone else in the squad room is having problems too. Marital splits, sexual harassment, cheating, making bad decisions... a police officer's lot is not a happy one.

Winter was freezing, summer was hotter than the hinges of Hades. Autumn, the rain will not stop falling. It is so bad that rats are leaving their sewer homes and
Helen
Third in series. Liked: the setting,especially the evocation of the dripping wet autumn (each book in the series belongs to a season). Not so sure about: the frequent mentions of IKEA and H&M (not sure if this is product placement or just an attempt to remind us about Swedish businesses!). All the books in this series use the voices of the recently murdered as new, confused, ghosts - not sure about that either but it certainly contributes to the atmosphere! As in the previous books in the ...more
Janet Newport
I won a copy through a Goodreads give away in exchange for my honest review.

I have read the first 2 books in this series - Midwinter Blood and Summer Death and enjoyed them much more than Autumn Killing. A grim, grim read that took me forever to finish (as I kept having to put it down and get away from it for a while). Also slowing my reading pace were the "voices in the head" (changing perspective from third person to first) that kept appearing in italics. Made for kinda jerky reading - like
« previous 1 3 next »

• Det innerste rommet (William Wisting, #13)
  • Hulemannen (William Wisting, #9)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Till offer åt Molok (Rebecka Martinsson, #5)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting, #8)
  • Dregs (William Wisting, #6)
  • Silenced (Fredrika Bergman and Alex Recht, #2)
  • Die Bärenkralle
  • Katharina-koden (William Wisting, #12)
  • The Disappeared (Fredrika Bergman & Alex Recht, #3)
  • Annabelle (Charlie Lager, #1)
  • Døden ved vann (Oslo Crime Files, #2)
  • Closed for Winter (William Wisting, #7)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Day is Dark (Þóra Guðmundsdóttir, #4)
  • Dimma (Hidden Iceland #1)
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • Blindgang (William Wisting, #10)
After being awarded the Swedish equivalent to the Whitbread Award for his debut novel Pesetas, Mons Kallentoft chose to give his own unique take on the classic Scandinavian crime novel. His success was immediate. The first book in the series about superintendent Malin Fors received unanimous praise from the national critics; it also conquered the bestseller charts and has today sold more than ...more

Malin Fors (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Midvinterblod
  • Summer Death (Malin Fors #2)
  • Spring Remains
  • Den femte årstiden (Malin Fors, #5)
  • Vattenänglar
  • Vindsjälar
  • Jordstorm
  • Eldjägarna
  • Djävulsdoften
  • Bödelskyssen
“E, assim, os seus pés pisam o chão deste mundo, procurando incansavelmente a sua razão de ser.” 2 likes