Start by marking “Never Go Back” as Want to Read:
Never Go Back

Never Go Back

In this life-changing book, you’ll learn ten pathways of success that will help you redirect your mistakes and make way for success—physically, personally, and spiritually.

Everyone makes mistakes, big and small. Sometimes our mistakes take us down the wrong path and send us spiraling into destructive life patterns, and sometimes we learn a lesson and never make the same mi
Published June 3rd 2014 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Never Go Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Go Back

Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I see a book with the name Dr. Henry Cloud on it, I know that I am in for a time of introspection. In his latest book, Never Go Back, Dr. Cloud takes us through ten situations that we have probably found ourselves in but don't really want to do again.

The very first chapter was very providential in our lives at this point. We are facing a situation that is very similar to one we recently went through that didn't have a really wonderful ending. Through the use of personal examples Dr. Cloud w
Sandy Nawrot
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio
When Audible marketed all their self-help books at the beginning of the year, I jumped on this one. I'd never heard of this psychologist but I certainly can always use some help in living my life right and learning from my mistakes. I would agree that, as the reviews state, this book COULD change your life. In fact, in the back of my mind, I started thinking that this book, or at least its principles, are the exact type of thing that every young adult needs to know before they go off to college. ...more
Amy Edwards
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Highly recommend this for help in taking stock of patterns that you need to repent of and turn from. I’m cynical about “self-help” as a genre, but Dr. Cloud is always worth your time.
Rob O'Lynn
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Known primarily for the Boundaries series and How People Grow (his collaborations with John Townsend), one may wonder what else Cloud has to offer. Cloud now finds himself a citizen of an authorial stratosphere that also boasts John Maxwell, Charles Stanley, Chuck Swindoll, Max Lucado, James Dobson and Dallas Willard. How many different ways can one author write about the same subject? (One could claim that John Ortberg and Timothy Keller could be on this list, although they vary what they write ...more
Mary-anne Gillespie
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely LOVED this book. It was a simply read because it focussed right to the point. There wasn't a lot of "fluff" in this book which I really appreciated. The second part "now what"? was really helpful, I find so many books leave you hanging to figure the implementation afterwards, this book did a great job of tying it all together! I've already recommended it to several people!
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly insightful

This book laid out 10 items that will bring you and your life down and explain what they are and how to keep from doing them. Some of these things may seem elementary but there are things you don't stop to think about on a regular basis and I think we've all fallen victim to. The last chapter on how to follow through with the special useful. Highly recommend.
Dianne Irey mcdonald
A really good book by my favorite psychologist especially for those of us who make mistakes and did not learn our lessons the first time around an issue.
John Lord
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing insight from a Godly perspective. I loved this book and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make some real change in their life.
Craig SmithII
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read thus far!!!

I enjoyed the use of psychology and how he used scripture to link the two. Extremely helpful an absolute must read.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book demonstrates ten life lessons that will teach you never to go back to your old patterns or make the same mistake twice. They include things like...
Don't pretend to be someone you're not.
Don't trust the wrong people.
Don't forget why you're here.
Don't take your eyes off the big picture.
Don't try to please everyone.

I enjoyed reading this because it has a lot of commons sense approaches to problems that are universal, and gives real solutions to difficult situations. One of the good thing
Eric Beheler
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book with a solid concept!

The basic concept is that once you have a really profound breakthrough, you never go back to your old way of doing things.

Like the famous saying goes "A mind that has been stretched by learning a new skill or way of thinking never goes back to it's previous size." I'm paraphrasing there, but you get it!

All in all a really kick butt book!
Ismayil Aliyev
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first came across an article in June of 2016 on success.com that summarized the 10 principles described in this book.

The ideas shared in the article had profound, drastic, positive effect on me - more than any motivational article I've come across before or since. I realized that some of the principles the author advocated for hit home for me on solving some of the negative traits that were holding me back.

So I decided to read this book in full.

First, I researched the author, as I tend to do
Jeff Bobin
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You should read this book!

I don't make that statement to often but there is something there for everyone no matter what your field or place in life. This is the second of Cloud's books to make this list of mine since I gave the same recommendation to Necessary Endings.

He lists 10 things you should never do again and then does a great job of showing you why moving forward it always more valuable than trying to go back to a place that will never be the same as it was before.

Some chapter titles
Nikole Hahn
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Successful people realize that just because someone is unhappy with them does not require that they give up their purpose, fold their cards, or change. They realize that making some people unhappy is just part of the deal–and they keep going.” Pg. 67

Never Go Back: 10 Things You’ll Never Do Again by Dr. Henry Cloud is an ideal book for the blogger, dreamer, or for people like us who see life upside down. It’s about staying the course and never looking back or returning to dysfunctional familiari
Brandon H.
I think the promo for this book sums it up rather well - "In Never Go Back, bestselling author Dr. Henry Cloud shares ten doorways to success—and once we walk through these new pathways, we never go back again. His proven method—based on grace, not guilt—outlines ten common life patterns that sabotage success and lays out clear, concrete steps you can take to overcome them. You’ll see your relationships flourish, your personal life enhanced, and your faith strengthened. Dr. Cloud’s powerful mess ...more
Anino
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Cloud has successfully managed to pull together a book that was chock full of awesome common-sense wisdom, that literally, just about anyone can use. This book was a firm reminder that not only can one recover from a setback, but also that we must choose to "never" repeat the destructive patterns/behaviors that placed us in dire emotional/physical/relational/spiritual straits to begin with.

Although this is a book of transformation with a faith-based edge, anyone can learn to apply the princ
Anino

Donna
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I wish this book had been published when I was in my 20's or 30's when I struggled most with what Dr. Cloud lists as the "Never-Go-Back Awakenings".

1. Never Again...Return to What Hasn't Worked

6. Never Again...Trust Someone or Something Flawless

7. Never Again...Take
Joni Hartman
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the book description it says this book is life-changing. I think that is possible; however, one must incorporate the appropriate principles one at a time, or this becomes just another “good idea” book. Takeaways: we need community to affect permanent change of harmful life habits—so perhaps this book is best studied with a friend?
I found all the suggestions great, I loved how the author tied the things he was talking about to the truths of the Bible, and I enjoyed his (sometimes) amusing anec
Cafelilybookreviews
Never Go Back is an excellent read. If you are stuck in a rut, and seem to keep making poor choices - this book is for you! This book helps readers recognize repetitive destructive patterns and also helps guide
them to making changes and better choices.

The author uses examples from his own personal experience to make his points and overall, I enjoyed this book very much.

For those who may be unfamiliar with Dr. Cloud's books, he is a highly respected Christian psychologist. If you are stuck in a r
Christen
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think Dr. Cloud makes a lot of the same points in all of his books. In this one, he reminds us of several things most of us learn the hard way. And we must recognize them as mistakes. He calls it "waking up". Then, he reminds us that there's no such thing as "self help". We all must get help outside ourselves. I like to read a Henry Cloud book every year or two to remind myself not to go down one of the paths that are so easy to fall into. Another version of the same basic content is the 9 Thi ...more
Gabriel Olmeda
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Henry Cloud is in psychiatry, but he is also a deeply spiritual man who shows the parallels between Biblical teachings psychiatry. The title is what the book is about never going back to the same mistakes, never going back to things that don't work, moving forward. It seems like straight forward ideas but sometimes we need reminding about this. I read this and made some realizations in my personal life about how I have repeated certain actions that don't work. This book alongside some of my Chri ...more
Joan
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It is very practical. Cloud helps us identify the behavior that we need to change and then gives practical suggestions and steps. I appreciated the ten things to never do again. They are really essential to living a good life. Cloud is a Christian and much of the strategy for change relies on strength from God.
You can see my full review at http://bit.ly/1ljsOi7.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Howard books for the purpose of an independent and honest review
John Nichols
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Cloud's book is well-written and easy to read. He includes real world examples of people struggling in the 10 "Never Again" areas. My pen was rarely idle as I captured notes I need to remember. He makes good use of Scripture in supporting his points but includes the verses in a non-preachy way. Dr. Cloud's 12 steps to making change a reality resonated with me and I especially appreciated his explanation from Psalm 1 that change is a process. This is an encouraging work with a message of hope ...more
Joel Eynon
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Cloud offers sound, practical, and biblical approaches to dealing with many of the problem areas that arise in life. Too often we repeat bad behavior and wonder why our lives never change. The 10 things to never do again are the backbone of this book. While there is application woven throughout, the final section of the book goes even deeper into how to apply the main concept from each chapter. Dr. Cloud's experience and expertise jumps off just about every page.
John
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Woah. I need to read this book every day for a month. Maybe 6 months.

The author calls the 10 never go back principles as the steps of emotional puberty. Very true -- essential reading for those who want to grow up emotionally and mature as an adult.

UPDATE 9/28/18 -- I have read this book 3x this year. My #3 book of 2018. So good. So necessary.
Joe McFadden
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy books written by Dr Henry Cloud. This one was another that did not disappoint. I have already recommended it to several people I know. If you are interested in reading a quick summary you can find my thoughts here: http://joemcfadden.org/2016/03/06/10-...
Rick Presley
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Never heard of this author before. Great blend of science and scripture. I'd recommend this for everyone.
Jane Coleman
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As expected, excellent content one wants to note and highlight -- a challenge with audio version. I may have to buy the book! A distinguished narrator, but a poor fit for younger audiences. I want to recommend the audiobook to young adults in my life, but Cloud's accessibility cancelled by "proper", older reader.
Rick Yvanovich
He does warn at the beginning that he is a man of faith and thus mixes in (a lot!) his beliefs and quotes from the bible. Personally I'm not so keen on that I am more interested in the psychology rather than the philosophy. Quite a good read anyway
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Emotionally Destructive Relationship: Seeing It, Stopping It, Surviving It
  • How to Reach Your Full Potential for God: Never Settle for Less Than His Best
  • His Brain, Her Brain: How Divinely Designed Differences Can Strengthen Your Marriage
  • Reconcile: Conflict Transformation for Ordinary Christians
  • Beyond Boundaries: How To Know When It's Time To Risk Again
  • Healing Is a Choice: 10 Decisions That Will Transform Your Life and 10 Lies That Can Prevent You from Making Them
  • Holy Discontent: Fueling the Fire That Ignites Personal Vision
  • An Untroubled Heart: Finding a Faith That Is Stronger Than All My Fears
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Healing Anxiety and Depression: Based on Cutting-Edge Brain Imaging Science
  • Designed to Lead: The Church and Leadership Development
  • The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence
  • 101 Questions to Ask Before You Get Engaged
  • The Anger Workbook
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina
“A second chance is not a repeat of the first chance. A second chance is a moving forward to something new.” 0 likes
“We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. —Romans 12:6a, NIV” 0 likes