Start by marking “The Summer Wind (Lowcountry Summer #2)” as Want to Read:
The Summer Wind (Lowcountry Summer #2)

The Summer Wind

(Lowcountry Summer #2)

The Summer Wind is the second book in Monroe’s Lowcountry Summer trilogy, following the New York Times bestselling The Summer Girls. This series is a poignant and heartwarming story of three half-sisters and their grandmother, who is determined to help them rediscover their southern roots and family bonds.

It’s midsummer and Eudora, nicknamed Dora, is staying at Sea Breeze,
Published June 17th 2014 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Summer Wind, please sign up.
Patricia I am reading the book now and have read only one third of it, and I just noticed another inconsistency. In the Summer Girls, the bartender at Dunleavy…moreI am reading the book now and have read only one third of it, and I just noticed another inconsistency. In the Summer Girls, the bartender at Dunleavy's was named Brian. In the Summer Wind, his name is Bill, not Brian. I know it is referring to the same person because it also says that Bill was formerly Carson's boss, and her boss was named Brian in the Summer Girls. Still, I am okay with the inconsistency because it does not ruin the story.(less)
Judi Yes, Books 1-3, they are a continuation of the same storyline. I did read book 4 first, not realizing it was a saga, so I was a little lost. I wish I …moreYes, Books 1-3, they are a continuation of the same storyline. I did read book 4 first, not realizing it was a saga, so I was a little lost. I wish I had read them all in order. (less)

Start your review of The Summer Wind (Lowcountry Summer #2)
Angie Bardin
May 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! What a great book!!!! I just finished The Summer Wind, but still feel like I’m on Sullivan’s Island enjoying iced tea under the big oak tree. It's one of those books that you just keep thinking about. The sisters are like old friends now. The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe is a fantastic book. I usually am a very slow reader, but I couldn’t put this book down. I was drawn into the easy life Mawmaw’s home on the first page. Mary Alice Monroe has a way of making me feel like I’m right there ...more
Amy
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
We first met sisters Dora, Carson, and Harper in The Summer Girls, the initial installment of the trilogy. Whereas that book primarily focused on Carson, the middle sister, this one turns the spotlight more on Dora, although we do get to know Harper better.

Carson has fled to Florida with injured dolphin Delphine, leaving Dora and Harper to figure out what sort of relationship they have. It isn't so much that they are estranged - that would imply that a closeness had existed at some point - as i
Elaine Richardson
The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe
Bam! Just like that I am back at Sea Breeze. The opening paragraph put me right beside Mamaw as she continues her quest to bring her granddaughters, Dora, Harper, and Carson, together. I was thinking I might need to go back and re-read The Summer Girls, but MAM's descriptive writing pulled me right back into the story, like I had never missed a beat.

At one point we were reunited, although briefly, with our old friend, Cara from the Beach House series with sea
Wanda
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reas
I loved this book! I could close my eyes and picture Maw Maw sitting on the porch. This is a must read! Just make sure you have time to read, because once you start, you will want to read it all! I really enjoy the relationships of all these women. Thank you ,Mary Alice ,for another great book! Mary Alice Monroe will never disappoint you! Wish I could give this book even more stars! Five just isn't enough.
Elizabeth
Aug 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
ALL of the Southern stereotypes in one predictable plot. My face hurts from rolling my eyes. Like being trapped in an issue of Garden & Gun. ...more
Cara
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the sequel to The Summer Girls and the second book in the Lowcountry Summer Trilogy. This one focuses on Dora, who I found least likable of the sisters. Also, no matter how many times the author mentioned Dora's beautiful blonde hair, the Dora in my mind persisted in having an ugly dark brown bowl cut. Specifically, I imagined her looking like Amy Bishop, the bio prof who shot up her department meeting at UAH a few years back. I couldn't figure out why until I realized: Dora the Explorer ...more
Judy D Collins
A special thanks to Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

THE SUMMER WIND is beautifully written and captivating, Mary Alice Monroe’s best work thus far----a powerful trilogy, of three grown step-sisters, from different walks of life, a loving sixth-generation, southern Charlestonian grandmother, a wise and loyal housekeeper, and a charismatic dolphin who touches the lives of a troubled boy and his aunt.

Guilt and healing are constant themes
Laurie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own, dnf, beach, fiction
It took me 4 nights to get to page 38.At that point I figured it would all be a happy ending.I gave up. I do like this author,but didn't like the characters. No empathy.
Marcee Feddersen

Hmmm....I've read one of Mary Alice Monroe's books before and I liked it enough to read the sequel. So I was excited to get this advanced copy from NetGalley because I remember her as being a great beach read.

So I started the book with high hopes. After about 50 pages, I started getting confused. I felt like maybe I had read the book before. After 75 pages, I was convinced I had read this book.

Thank God for Goodreads. I went back and looked through my "rea
Laurel-Rain
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Their final summer at Sea Breeze on Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina, continues, with some new challenges for the three half-sisters.

Mamaw (Marietta Muir) is firm in her support, albeit still planning to sell the summer estate.

Dora is in the midst of settling the divorce issues and helping little Nate with his grief over the dolphin’s injuries earlier in the summer. A health crisis causes big changes in how she faces her life.

Carson is instrumental in helping her nephew heal, by taking him to F
Pam Jackson
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have no choice but to wait to read "The Summer's End" and I will cherish the readings of "The Summer Girls" and "The Summer Wind". Every summer when I read the new Mary Alice Monroe book, it is my new favorite. My summer highlight is your book. I love the personalities and true lives of Dora, Carson, and Harper! Lucille is so much like my grandmother. I felt like I was at Sea Breeze with the girls. I loved the lessons learned about sibling relationships and the way their priorities in life cha ...more
Joy
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mary AIice is a new author to me... why haven't I read her books before? I'm totally enjoying this book, there's still a few chapters to read but I couldn't wait to write this, I've got several of my friends buying her books!

This is book two in the series and the sisters are spending their last summer at Sea Breeze with Mamaw before she sells the place. Carson has lost her job. Dora is going through a divorce that's effecting her health.Her son has Asperger's and with the stress of it all she h
Linden
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever been drawn into a book? That is how I felt reading The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe. The evocative descriptions transported me to the South Carolina beach, and the insightful characterizations made me feel as if I could visit Mamaw’s house and be welcomed with a glass of sweet tea. Even though this is book two of a trilogy, it really stands very well on its own, continuing the story of Marietta Muir (Mamaw) and her three adult granddaughters, half-sisters with the same father, ...more
Roxanne
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I do love a book set in the beautiful low country. And this book thrilled me with descriptions of an island storm, pluff mud, beaches, dolphins and more. But there is so much more than the setting;
the women in this book two of a trilogy were real and thought provoking. Their circumstances were those we have had or our dearest friends have had. Their feelings are our feelings. The main figure, the grandmother is loving and lovable and filled me tears and laughter as tries to rebuild old relation
Jen (Feffer)
If you’ve ever looked at my Goodreads list, you’ll know just how much I love Southern fiction, and novels that are located in and around Sullivan’s Island, in particular. I’ve read nearly everything Dorothea Benton Frank‘s ever written, for instance, and there’s nothing quite like a good, lazy, beachy summer read.

Whether or not The Summer Wind is a good, lazy, beachy summer read is, I guess, a subjective question. For me, it didn’t quite hit the mark.

...Read more of this review at fefferbooks.co
Amber
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

What a great story! I finished this morning, yet the characters are still with me this evening (as I suspect they will be for some time). This was a story that made me laugh, made me cry, made me hopeful and made me want to make life slow down. This would make a perfect beach/pool read, as well as a great airplane book. I highly recommend to fans of Dorthea Benton Frank and Barbara Delinsky.
Gail Strickland
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A true beach read-three sisters, each with her own problems (check), a wise grandmother (check), and a domestic who's been in service forever who's also mighty wise (check), a hunky real estate guy (check), an awful husband and mother of one of the sisters (check) on Sullivan's Island for the summer.

Could have been and should have been more, but I will say that Monroe hits all the cliches and then comes back and whacks them again.
Belva
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book and all other Mary Alice Monroe books. I am always in awe of how much emotion is captured in her books. She makes you feel what the characters feel. She is such a talented story teller and one of my absolute favorite authors. I will recommend this one to anyone who knows how to read! I was provided an advance copy by Netgalley.
Kathryn
4.5 stars. Another great addition to the trilogy. Review to follow
Susannah Carleton
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Elora Orazio
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This novel had been sitting on my bookshelf for years and I hadn't picked it up because it was the second of a series. In an effort to downsize, I decided to give it a shot (as I couldn't part with an unread book) and I am so glad I did! I was swept away to South Carolina, summertime, and allowing oneself to be transformed. There was a brief reference to "The Summer Girls", but this novel easily stands alone for those who haven't read the first in the series. It proved to be a perfect quarantine ...more
Gail
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book! It makes you feel like you are having an adventure on Sullivan Island. A story about real life problems of sibling problems, romance and finding your place in this world. A heartwarming story that will have you laughing and crying. Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Kristin Hedstrom
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second installment of the Summer girls series. This book focuses primarily on Dora, the eldest sister. While I found Dora's character a bit annoying in the first book, I enjoyed this sequel. Carson and Harper also continue their stories in this book. If you liked the first book then this is a must read.
Patricia
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first began reading the book, I believed that it would be a three star book. My mind changed while reading the last 100 pages or so. They were exciting and I had a hard time putting the book down! I am looking forward to reading the last book of this trilogy, which is the Summer's End. I want to see what happens to each of the Summer Girls and their Mamaw!
Carrie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I guess I didn't care for the first book, but I'm glad I stuck with the series because this one and the next were quite good.
Judy Churchill
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a continuation of the first book in the series. Three half-sisters are lured back to the low country, Sullivan’s Island, by their grandmother. Their relationship as sisters continues to grow as they deal with the complications of life.
Clara
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The story line is so perfect. I can't wait to read the ending to this trilogy. What a summer this family has had. What an amazing relationship they have. I highly recommend this series!!!
Tina Hunter
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Really a 3.5 rating. I am reading this trilogy out of order😌
Sue
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The 2nd in the Lowcountry Series....it contours to draw me in with the characters- I am ready to get in my car and drive right down and visit with the daughters and grandmother! Thank you Mary Alice Monroe! This was another pleasurable reading experience!!
Julie
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Summer Wind by Mary Alice Monroe is a 2014 Gallery Books Publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Full disclosure: I have not read the other book in this series and I am going out and immediately rectifying that gaff. Having said that, this book obviously can be read as a stand alone. Naturally, reading in order is always the best way to go, but you can dive right in with this and get the gist of the situation.
I love sto
Southern Dialogue 1 3 Jul 16, 2017 05:46PM
Southern Dialogue 1 1 Jul 16, 2017 05:45PM

• Second Star To The Right
  • Hello, Summer
  • Sunset Beach
  • Last One Home (New Beginnings, #1)
  • Queen Bee (Lowcountry Tales, #12)
  • Spring Fever
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • Summer Rental
  • The Last Original Wife
  • Surfside Sisters
  • Beach Town
  • All Summer Long
  • Porch Lights
  • Folly Beach (Lowcountry Tales, #8)
  • The Hurricane Sisters (Lowcountry Tales, #9)
  • Lowcountry Summer (Lowcountry Tales, #7)
  • Plantation (Lowcountry Tales, #2)
  • By Invitation Only
Mary Alice Monroe is the New York Times bestselling author of 23 novels, including On Ocean Boulevard, which is the sixth installment of the Beach House series.

More than 7.5 million copies of her books have been published worldwide, and she’s earned numerous accolades and awards, including: Induction into the South Carolina Academy of Authors’ Hall of Fame; the Southwest Florida Author of Distinct

Lowcountry Summer (5 books)
  • The Summer Girls (Lowcountry Summer #1)
  • The Summer's End (Lowcountry Summer, #3)
  • A Lowcountry Wedding (Lowcountry Summer, #4)
  • A Lowcountry Christmas (Lowcountry Summer #5)