Start by marking “Faceoff” as Want to Read:
Faceoff

Faceoff

(Roy Grace #10.5)

Edited by #1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci and including stories by Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Jeffery Deaver, and more, this one-of-a-kind anthology pulls together the most beloved characters from the best and most popular thriller series today. Worlds collide!

Published June 3rd 2014 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Faceoff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faceoff

Tim The Enchanter
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

A Unique and Thrilling Anthology - 3.8 Stars

When I saw an anthology that had Cotton Malone and Grayson Pierce in the same story, I had to get my hands on the book. I don't know about you, but I would love to read a cross over novel with my favorite characters. Unfortunately, the cross over novels will never occur but this is a fun substitute. I did a short review of each story and averaged the ratings out to 3.8 stars. Most of the stories were great while a
Bettie☯
Description: In an unprecedented collaboration, twenty-three of the world’s bestselling and critically acclaimed thriller writers have paired their series characters—such as Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Lincoln Rhyme—in an eleven-story anthology curated by the International Thriller Writers (ITW). All of the contributors to FaceOff are ITW members and the stories feature these dynamic duos:

· Harry Bosch vs. Patrick Kenzie in “Red Eye,” by Michael Connelly and Dennis Lehane

· John Rebus vs. Roy
Izzy Gardner
Mar 20, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-won-this
I won this book in a GoodReads.com First Reads Giveaway!

I can't wait for it to arrive. This book features an amazingly talented group of authors!
William
Jul 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read 4-5 of these. Most were crap, occult, crap, old dull farts, crap, paranormal, crap, horror, crap, fecking lawyers crap, or wildly misogynistic (Rhymes with Prey). Ugh.

It was nice to see Patrick Kenzie again, even as Connelly was stingy with my wonderful Bosch written as pretty dull. It’s also interesting as this story occurs before the last book in the series, Moonlight Mile. Timing is just as Kenzie and Genarro’s daughter, Gabby, is due to be born within the week. I surely could us
Randy
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great concept here matching different characters together in short stories. Eleven tales with twenty-two characters. This is an offering fron the International Thriller Writers. Brief intros before each story gives us sketches of the characters and how it was decided to put them together.

A lot of them I wasn't familiar with. As much as I try, Lord knows I can't read everything. Nice introductions though and it certainly gave me some directions to head.

My favorite, and the longest, was RHYMES WIT
Sean Peters
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Done a review before, just an update.

Five stars.

Great collection of authors
Sandra
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kobo-e-reader
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love short stories and I love mystery/thrillers. One of my favourites was Pit Stop by Linwood Barclay and Raymond Khoury. Another was Rhymes with Prey by Jeffrey Deaver and John Sandford. Some of these characters were familiar to me, but not all of them. I am definitely going to start reading some of the other author's books! Great way to find new authors.
Mike
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed seeing a few of my favorite suspense/detective type characters either square off or join in an adventure. In my opinion, the best featured Lee Child's Jack Reacher, and the weirdest was Pendergast vs. the dummy - but I'm still thinking about that bizarre thing a couple of days later!
Mike
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Sometimes, the total is greater than the sum of its parts -- The Talisman by Peter Straub and Stephen King comes to mind. And sometimes...not! FaceOff is regrettably an example of the latter. Most of the collaborations here would not even be publishable if not for the "names" who did the writing. They are just a big yawn. Hey, not every novelist can write short stories.

I think a variation of the following conversation took place more often than we would like to think...

"Hey mate, we promised Dav
Tim
Jun 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
While the premise is promising, the results fail to deliver. The authors are better served sticking to their own characters and stories. 2 of 10 stars
Kaycee
Jan 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Perhaps I'm not a short story kind of person. I listened to 5 of the 10 discs and just didn't enjoy any of the stories. They just weren't long enough for me to get involved with the characters.
Pop
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good, not all the stories. Some were great, some not so great. At least I’ll have a few authors to read that I haven’t and some I’ll avoid.
Monnie
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book, a compilation of short stories, gets 5 stars from me not so much because of enjoyability, but rather because it's such a unique work. Where else - except for previous versions featuring different authors - could you possibly find so many top-notch thriller writers in the same book, not to mention with characters paired up as never before and probably never again?

Edited by equally well-known author David Baldacci, sales from the book benefit the group International Thriller Writers, to
Jerry B
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it
It was an interesting premise: ask 22 mostly famous authors, belonging to the International Thriller Writers association, to co-author in pairs 11 short stories, pitting each of their leading characters together in one short story to create this fund-raising anthology for the association. The problem with it is that there’s no time at all in a 25-page or so short tale to give little if any back story to the “stars”, although David Baldacci does his best with brief introductions to each of the ya ...more
Lisa

This book looked like
Rick
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A great collection of short mysteries collaborated by pairs of great mystery writers. Strongly recommended.
Kelli
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
A handful of the stories were good. Most of the collaborations were fair at best, and there were three I simply could not finish despite valiant attempts. It was frustrating as I have enjoyed reading most of these authors on occasion and savor short stories.

Plots were simplistic. Characters were contrived. Dialogue was unrealistic. These short collaborative thrillers flat-lined prior to any attempt at resuscitation. The idea had potential but this was not realized.

"No Rest for the Dead" was a s
Ubiquitousbastard
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I only wanted to read this for the Pendergast vs. Slappy, and that's the absolute truth. However, I had to read the other stories just so that I could review the book-and add it to my read list. Sadly, maybe two of the others were any good at all, and several of them were just god awful, and impress upon me the reason that I do not read most of the authors included.

Red Eye, Dennis Lehane and Michael Connelly: 2 stars
Before this, I had read part of a Michael Connelly book and was unimpressed, an
Jennifer Brown
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
So I only picked this book up for two certain authors (RL Stine and Lisa Gardner) but I was going to go ahead and read the entire book. I got through the first story and didn't really enjoy it but I went on. Halfway through the second story, I just skipped to the third. I couldn't get in to the short stories. Even the two I wanted to read weren't as good as I was hoping for.
Jayelle
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the idea of this book a lot, as well as the insightful intros to each story by David Baldacci. I didn't read every story, just the ones that grabbed me. And I learned about a new detective, Peter James' Roy Grace. I'm reading a Peter James book now and really enjoying it.
Matt
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
The premise of the FACEOFF collection is one sure to intrigue any fiction buff; pit popular characters from best-selling series together or against one another and see what falls out. As Baldacci explains in his introduction, it is more of a headache than two authors teaming up to create a crossover, thanks to the legalities of publishing contracts. While I choose not to summarise each of the stories within this collection, I will admit that seeing the likes of Nick Heller and Jack Reacher, Patr ...more
Jenn
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a brilliant idea! I may not have read previous books by some of these thriller authors, but they were all recognizable. I was excited to see some of the team ups - sandford, stine and linwood to name a few. The only story that didn't hold my interest was the one where a vial thief was lost in the jungle. Probably because jungle themes aren't my thing. The rest - interesting short tales that caught my interest quickly.
Huma
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to be introduced to new authors. The last two stories were the ones I was most excited to read as they featured James Rollin's Sigma Force and Lee Child's Reacher. Some of thoughts as recorded with my GR progress updates are below:

- First face-off is between Harry Bosch and Patrick Kenzie. I haven't read Bosch but am a fan of Connelly's Mickey Haller. I haven't read Kenzie either, but I have seen the Gone Baby Gone movie and read Shutter Island. I guess the tone of the two writers real
Teri Pre
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Here's my review of every short story. A few I didn't read because I'm not a fan of paranormal books. Quite a few of the stories felt rushed. It would be great if these authors could find ways of working together on full-length books.

Dennis Lehane vs Michael Connelly
Not bad. I could easily tell where Connelly stopped writing and Lehane started. I'm not a big fan of Connelly.

Ian Rankin vs Peter James
A bit odd but ok.

R.L. Stine vs Douglas Preson and Lincon Child
Didn't read

M.J. Rose vs Lisa Gardne
Cheryl
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Faceoff is a thriller fan's dream. It is a rockin' good anthology. The idea of a bunch of huge names in the thriller book world clashing head to head in battles with some of their best characters is cool. Although I have not read all of these authors books. Some were new to me authors, others it has been a while, and then there were my favorite authors.

What I found the most interesting was the background story about how the two authors met and came up with the short stories. I liked getting thi
Fred Forbes
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great fun for thriller fans. Stories of joint collaboration by the best authors in the business using well known characters who would not appear together. Eleven short stories with 22 major characters in some interesting combinations. Some I know and love - Lehane's Patrick McKenzie and Connelly's Harry Bosch, Child's Jack Reacher and Finder's Nick Heller, Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme and Sandford's Lucas Davenport, etc. Probably half the characters I had not encountered before so the book serves as a ...more
Deana M
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I've never read anything like it and glad I gave it a shot. Some of my favorite authors are Michael Connelly, Lisa Gardner, Linda Fairstein, John Sandford, Jeffery Deaver, and Heather Graham. Because of this book, I have found new authors...Dennis Lehane, Steve Martini, and James Rollins. If I had to pick my favorites it would be the face offs between Dennis Lehane/Michael Connelly, M.J. Rose/Lisa Gardner, Steve Martini/Linda Fairstein, Jeffery Deaver/John Sandford. ...more
Lee
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
A buddy of mine at work, got this at the library and asked me if I wanted to read it. With twenty-three popular thriller writers, pairing their alter ego to work together, I thought this was a pretty cool idea. Fun and a quick read. Here are my favorites, in no particular order -

Rhymes With Prey - Lincoln Rhyme & Lucas Davenport
Infernal Night - Michael Quinn & Repairman Jack
In The Nick Of Time - John Rebus & Roy Grace
Good and Valuable Consideration - Jack Reacher & Nick Heller
Linda
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another of those books where you can read any chapter you want in any order. A bit like choosing candy from a jar. I loved this book for the fact that two protagonists from different authors have been teamed up to solve crimes. The writing is seamless, and it is an idea that I have wished would happen for a long time. My two favourite stories were the first and last ones. Dennis Lehane/Patrick Kenzie & Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch and Lee Child/Jack Reacher & Joseph Finder/Nick Heller.
Goodreads Librari...: Add contributors to audiobook 2 13 May 27, 2018 02:18AM

• MatchUp
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Thriller 2
  • Club Nexus (Ivy Granger, #2.5)
  • Echoes of Sherlock Holmes: Stories Inspired by the Holmes Canon
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories about Love, Lust, and Murder
  • Dangerous Women
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2007
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
  • The Reason for Dragons
  • Twisted
  • I Was a Teenage Weredeer (Bright Falls Mysteries, #1)
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Anubis Nights (Jonathan Shade, #4)
  • Jack Daniels Stories
  • Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more

Roy Grace (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Dead Simple (Roy Grace, #1)
  • Looking Good Dead (Roy Grace, #2)
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • Dead Like You (Roy Grace, #6)
  • Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace, #7)
  • Not Dead Yet (Roy Grace, #8)
  • Dead Man's Time (Roy Grace, #9)
  • Want You Dead (Roy Grace, #10)
“sure our corpulent friend” 0 likes