Start by marking “FaceOff” as Want to Read:
FaceOff

FaceOff

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  2,284 ratings  ·  401 reviews
Edited by #1 New York Times bestselling author David Baldacci and including stories by Michael Connelly, Lee Child, Jeffery Deaver, and more, this one-of-a-kind anthology pulls together the most beloved characters from the best and most popular thriller series today. Worlds collide!

Audio CD
Published June 3rd 2014 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about FaceOff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FaceOff

Tim "The Enchanter"
Posted to The Literary Lawyer.ca

A Unique and Thrilling Anthology - 3.8 Stars

When I saw an anthology that had Cotton Malone and Grayson Pierce in the same story, I had to get my hands on the book. I don't know about you, but I would love to read a cross over novel with my favorite characters. Unfortunately, the cross over novels will never occur but this is a fun substitute. I did a short review of each story and averaged the ratings out to 3.8 stars. Most of the stories were great while a
Izzy Gardner
Mar 20, 2014 Izzy Gardner marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-won-this
I won this book in a GoodReads.com First Reads Giveaway!

I can't wait for it to arrive. This book features an amazingly talented group of authors!
Randy
Great concept here matching different characters together in short stories. Eleven tales with twenty-two characters. This is an offering fron the International Thriller Writers. Brief intros before each story gives us sketches of the characters and how it was decided to put them together.

A lot of them I wasn't familiar with. As much as I try, Lord knows I can't read everything. Nice introductions though and it certainly gave me some directions to head.

My favorite, and the longest, was RHYMES WIT
Sandra
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love short stories and I love mystery/thrillers. One of my favourites was Pit Stop by Linwood Barclay and Raymond Khoury. Another was Rhymes with Prey by Jeffrey Deaver and John Sandford. Some of these characters were familiar to me, but not all of them. I am definitely going to start reading some of the other author's books! Great way to find new authors.
Monnie
This book, a compilation of short stories, gets 5 stars from me not so much because of enjoyability, but rather because it's such a unique work. Where else - except for previous versions featuring different authors - could you possibly find so many top-notch thriller writers in the same book, not to mention with characters paired up as never before and probably never again?

Edited by equally well-known author David Baldacci, sales from the book benefit the group International Thriller Writers, to
Cheryl
Faceoff is a thriller fan's dream. It is a rockin' good anthology. The idea of a bunch of huge names in the thriller book world clashing head to head in battles with some of their best characters is cool. Although I have not read all of these authors books. Some were new to me authors, others it has been a while, and then there were my favorite authors.

What I found the most interesting was the background story about how the two authors met and came up with the short stories. I liked getting thi
Deana M
I absolutely loved this book. I've never read anything like it and glad I gave it a shot. Some of my favorite authors are Michael Connelly, Lisa Gardner, Linda Fairstein, John Sandford, Jeffery Deaver, and Heather Graham. Because of this book, I have found new authors...Dennis Lehane, Steve Martini, and James Rollins. If I had to pick my favorites it would be the face offs between Dennis Lehane/Michael Connelly, M.J. Rose/Lisa Gardner, Steve Martini/Linda Fairstein, Jeffery Deaver/John Sandford. ...more
Jerry
It was an interesting premise: ask 22 mostly famous authors, belonging to the International Thriller Writers association, to co-author in pairs 11 short stories, pitting each of their leading characters together in one short story to create this fund-raising anthology for the association. The problem with it is that there’s no time at all in a 25-page or so short tale to give little if any back story to the “stars”, although David Baldacci does his best with brief introductions to each of the ya ...more
Linda
Another of those books where you can read any chapter you want in any order. A bit like choosing candy from a jar. I loved this book for the fact that two protagonists from different authors have been teamed up to solve crimes. The writing is seamless, and it is an idea that I have wished would happen for a long time. My two favourite stories were the first and last ones. Dennis Lehane/Patrick Kenzie & Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch and Lee Child/Jack Reacher & Joseph Finder/Nick Heller.
Fred Forbes
Great fun for thriller fans. Stories of joint collaboration by the best authors in the business using well known characters who would not appear together. Eleven short stories with 22 major characters in some interesting combinations. Some I know and love - Lehane's Patrick McKenzie and Connelly's Harry Bosch, Child's Jack Reacher and Finder's Nick Heller, Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme and Sandford's Lucas Davenport, etc. Probably half the characters I had not encountered before so the book serves as a ...more
Liz Wilkins
Publication Date: Available now from Sphere.

Thank you to all concerned for the review copy.

In an unprecedented collaboration, twenty-three of the world’s bestselling and critically acclaimed thriller writers have paired their series characterssuch as Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Lincoln Rhyme in an eleven-story anthology curated by the International Thriller Writers (ITW).

I’ve had this book for a while, and I have been savouring it by reading one of the stories every now and then instead of in
Lee
A buddy of mine at work, got this at the library and asked me if I wanted to read it. With twenty-three popular thriller writers, pairing their alter ego to work together, I thought this was a pretty cool idea. Fun and a quick read. Here are my favorites, in no particular order -

Rhymes With Prey - Lincoln Rhyme & Lucas Davenport
Infernal Night - Michael Quinn & Repairman Jack
In The Nick Of Time - John Rebus & Roy Grace
Good and Valuable Consideration - Jack Reacher & Nick Heller
Gloria Feit
A faceoff in hockey occurs when two opposing players face each other in a circle or at center ice and attempt to direct the puck to a teammate when the ref tosses it between them. In other circumstances, a faceoff implies one or more forces facing each other, usually in opposition. So at the very least this, the third book to be published on behalf of the International Thrillers Writers, comprising some of the best-known authors of the thriller-mystery genre, whose proceeds fund the organization ...more
Shannon
A nice collection of short stories - might've found some new authors to follow. If you like detective/cop series, you'll like this book.
Teri Pre
Here's my review of every short story. A few I didn't read because I'm not a fan of paranormal books. Quite a few of the stories felt rushed. It would be great if these authors could find ways of working together on full-length books.

Dennis Lehane vs Michael Connelly
Not bad. I could easily tell where Connelly stopped writing and Lehane started. I'm not a big fan of Connelly.

Ian Rankin vs Peter James
A bit odd but ok.

R.L. Stine vs Douglas Preson and Lincon Child
Didn't read

M.J. Rose vs Lisa Gardne
Matt
The premise of the FACEOFF collection is one sure to intrigue any fiction buff; pit popular characters from best-selling series together or against one another and see what falls out. As Baldacci explains in his introduction, it is more of a headache than two authors teaming up to create a crossover, thanks to the legalities of publishing contracts. While I choose not to summarise each of the stories within this collection, I will admit that seeing the likes of Nick Heller and Jack Reacher, Patr ...more
Ubiquitousbastard
I only wanted to read this for the Pendergast vs. Slappy, and that's the absolute truth. However, I had to read the other stories just so that I could review the book-and add it to my read list. Sadly, maybe two of the others were any good at all, and several of them were just god awful, and impress upon me the reason that I do not read most of the authors included.

Red Eye, Dennis Lehane and Michael Connelly: 2 stars
Before this, I had read part of a Michael Connelly book and was unimpressed, an
Tim
While the premise is promising, the results fail to deliver. The authors are better served sticking to their own characters and stories. 2 of 10 stars
Hobart
When I was a kid, one of the go-to moves to increase circulation/awareness of a comic book title was to have it cross-over with another title. Or if you had two already well-selling titles, and you wanted a little spike in the selling, that'd work, too (particularly if one title was from DC and the other from Marvel). I, as I was supposed to, grabbed a lot of these. They tended to follow a pattern -- Group/Individual A runs into Group/Individual B, for no explicable reason they start to fight. E ...more
Paula Howard
FaceOff is a unique idea in the thriller genre. Eleven stories. Each story is written by 2 authors in which their protagonists must join forces to solve a conflict that requires their unique skills.

A few of these authors, while I had heard of them, I had never read their books. This book provided a way to introduce me to their character and style of writing.
Most of these authors I have read everything they have written. It was great to see my favorite protagonists together.

Of the eleven stories
Kaycee
Perhaps I'm not a short story kind of person. I listened to 5 of the 10 discs and just didn't enjoy any of the stories. They just weren't long enough for me to get involved with the characters.
Larry
There are ten short stories and one very-near novella in this book. Each features a collaboration between two leading characters from mystery series: Patrick Kenzie and Harry Bosch (a story with some nice verbal exchanges between the two), Nick Heller and Jack Reacher (short but to the point), Lucas Davenport and Lincoln Rhymes (the longest of the stories), etc. The introduction to the stories is interesting in itself, especially the description of how differently Sandford and Deaver or Lehane a ...more
Ghada
the stories varied between excellent captivating page turners, too short to hold up for a good thriller and a bore. couple of them actually got me snoozing during reading. as a whole I loved the idea behind the book and would like to fetch the rest of the series. being unfamiliar with some of the authors was a bit confusing because you should be aware with the characters backgrounds to follow the storyline. The great advantage is the book introduced to me good writers whom I'll seek their books. ...more
Mike
Sometimes, the total is greater than the sum of its parts -- The Talisman by Peter Straub and Stephen King comes to mind. And sometimes...not! FaceOff is regrettably an example of the latter. Most of the collaborations here would not even be publishable if not for the "names" who did the writing. They are just a big yawn. Hey, not every novelist can write short stories.

I think a variation of the following conversation took place more often than we would like to think...

"Hey mate, we promised Dav
Stewart Tame
This was more consistently entertaining than I had expected. Anthologies are usually hit or miss, but this one was more consistently hits than most. Writers whom I've read before--Preston & Child, James Rollins, John Sanford, F. Paul Wilson--I expected to enjoy, and indeed I did. But so many of the other stories were good, too, that I may have to go back through the book and put together a list of books to check out. Like I don't have enough to read already! I suppose it's a good problem to ...more
Bob
From an Trade Group of International Thriller Writers comes a book of short stories edited by David Baldacci. It has paired 22 authors of thrillers to write tales joining their main serial characters in co-authored adventures. Example: Lee Child's Jack Reacher and Joseph Finder's Nick Heller join up for an adventure in Heller's Boston. Suspense/Thriller readers will be sure to recognize some of the characters and will meet new ones as well, prompting them to look the authors to get better acquai ...more
Kay
Outstanding collection of stories by wonderful thriller writers. A real treat. As a rule I do not often read story collections, but this one is a must. Even if you have one or two authors in this group that are your favorites, you will love this. Highly recommended.
Scott Cumming
I only read the Dennis Lehane/Michael Connelly story as these are the two characters I am acquainted with and have enjoyed immensely in the past. It is a great meeting of characters and the story has more going for it than some novels I've read.
Judy
An awesome collection of short stories by many of my favorite thriller writers. They paired up two writers to create each story in the book. All the stories were good and I could see each of them being extended to a full novel if they wanted to expand them. Totally enjoyable!
Kay
This was a novel idea [pardon the pun]. Each story was written by two well known authors with their characters coming together in great short stories. Not a big fan of short stories, this one was a jewel!
  • Crescendo (Inola Walela/Steven Hawk Suspense Series, #3)
  • The Black Stiletto: Stars & Stripes  (The Black Stiletto #3)
  • Sorrow Bound (Aector McAvoy, #3)
  • Rune Gate (Rune Gate Cycle #1)
  • Dark Revelations (Level 26, #3)
  • Phantom Instinct
  • Shadowkiller (Nightwatcher #3)
  • The Blood Cloth Syndicate (A Relics Novel, #1)
  • The Guardians (The Guardians, #1)
  • Hush (Dragon Apocalypse, #2)
  • Crawl
  • Blood and Mistletoe (Ivy Granger, #1.5)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Vengeance
  • Werewolf Cop
  • On the Edge: (Capsized / Shelter Island / Bougainvillea)
  • The Skinwalker Conspiracies (Dead Eye #2)
  • Death by Didgeridoo (A Jamie Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • Ambassador
David Baldacci published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996. A major motion picture adaptation followed, with Clint Eastwood as its director and star. In total, David has published 28 novels, all of which have been national and international bestsellers; several have been adapted for film and television. His novels have been translated into more than 45 languages and sold in more than 80 cou ...more
More about David Baldacci...
Absolute Power The Camel Club (Camel Club, #1) The Innocent (Will Robie,#1) Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1) Last Man Standing

“had wasted an entire” 0 likes