Start by marking “Accidents of Marriage” as Want to Read:
Accidents of Marriage

Read Excerpt

Accidents of Marriage

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  4,735 Ratings  ·  703 Reviews
Accidents of Marriage explores a topic rarely shown in fiction: the destruction left in the wake of spouse’s verbal fury. Ben never meant to hurt Maddy. He never imagined his recklessness would lead to tragedy.

Maddy is a social worker trying to balance her career and three children. Years ago, she fell in love with Ben, a public defender, drawn to his fiery passion, but n
Published September 2nd 2014 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Accidents of Marriage, please sign up.
Anne Martin I think their marriage is neither better nor worse than any other one. I believe the "idea" that Ben's anger is the only thing at fault is too easy…moreI think their marriage is neither better nor worse than any other one. I believe the "idea" that Ben's anger is the only thing at fault is too easy and superficial. Their problem lies underneath.: as usual, they want to be the best, have the best life, friends, kids, etc,etc. She competes with her sister for everything, she nags Ben to be better. No one can cope with such a way of life. Her calling Ben was stupid and selfish, but goes with the way the lived. They are not an alpha couple, they are just normal people, driven in a race... for what?(less)
Pamela Browning Not anything like "Gone Girl", but it was good. Very sad, though.

Elyse
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Books about marriage have been in my space recently. While I don't think any of the 'marriage-theme' books I've read --including Michelle Richmond's new novel,
"The Marriage Pact", will win Pulitzer Prize awards....I think there is a cautionary tale in both books. Both books are very different- yet both are thought provoking- questioning marriage situations--offering an important message.

I'll be honest here- marriage thoughts have been running through my mind lately.
If your daughter called you
Crumb
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

Genre: Women's Fiction
Format: Print Hardcover

Usually when I read a book it is because of the reviews I see. Or because a friend recommended it. Or because it is a bestseller. Very rarely do I read a book solely because I want to and it looks good. This time I did and I am so happy that I did. This book was wonderful. It was a pageturner. I simply could not put it down.

Maddy is a social worker trying to hold it together for her three children. Why is she trying to hold it together? Her husband, B
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
One of my favourite books ever!

I simply cannot totally put into words here how spectacular this novel is. By far it is now my favourite reads without a doubt. It just blew me away. Sucked me in, tossed me around, had me feeling every emotion possible then spat me back out, reeling from the emotional journey and the intensity of the story. Absolutely astonishing novel. I kid you not.

What's the book about?

*TANYA*
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2017
A temperamental read!!! I sympathized with the 3 main characters very much and yes I’m including the husband. I wanted unicorns and rainbows for this family, I really did, especially for the kiddos. But, unfortunately some situations cannot be ignored or redeemed.
Christine
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I won this novel in a Goodreads giveaway. I want to thank Atria Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, for sending me a free print copy in exchange for an honest review.

I am normally a crime/mystery/thriller reader. I entered the giveaway for Accidents of Marriage as the book synopsis intrigued me. I was not disappointed. This story could be about your neighbors; this story could be about you and your family. In Accidents of Marriage, Ms. Meyers paints a strikingly realistic portrait of a fami
Jill
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
So much for expectations: I expected Randy Susan Meyers’ latest book to be a run-of-the-bill novel about how an ordinary family is crippled by the father’s poor anger management control. In other words, a “lesson” book.

Yes, in the very loosest sense, that’s what Accidents of Marriage is about. But I’m pleased to say that it also includes the psychological acuity, beautifully-rendered insights and strong character development that causes it to soar to the top of its genre.

The characters are Maddy
Brenda
4.5s

Maddy had arrived home from work, stressed, tired and unable to think of anything worse than cooking dinner. She was contemplating popping one of her pills to relax herself, but knew she needed to have her wits about her for when Ben arrived home. She never knew what mood he would be in – whether she’d have to tiptoe around him, fearful of snapping that slender thread of anger, or perhaps he’d be happy, pleased to be home with his family.

Seven year old Caleb, nine year old Gracie and fourte
Deanna
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Highly recommended!!!
Judy Collins
Randy Susan Myers’ ACCIDENTS OF MARRIAGE, a bittersweet account of a complex marriage relationship, derailed by dishonesty, emotional abuse, and rage—A tragedy forces one dysfunctional family to reexamine their lives, face their fears, and accept responsibility for their actions, before healing can begin.

The Illica Boston family is a ticking time bomb waiting to ignite. (A broken corporation, Illica Sucks, Inc). The pressure mounts daily and has built up with fifteen years of crap. Something ha
Marti
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Accidents of Marriage by Randy Susan Meyers.

I am still reeling after finishing this novel called Accidents of Marriage. My heart is aching for the family torn and shredded. I read the book today. Yup – beginning to end. I couldn’t seem to stop myself from reading it. The anguish and pain of the main characters as evidenced by their separate chapters describing differing scenes in the book resonated with me.

Ben, Maddy and their three children live in Boston. They are both professional people wit
Kristie
May 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, first-reads
Very excited that I just won a copy of this book from Firstreads! Look forward to receiving it. :)

Update: I was so excited to win this and really wanted to love it. I just couldn't. It was a very real story with miserable characters. I couldn't stay engaged or care about the characters throughout. Just not for me.
Accidents of Marriage is a standalone novel written by author Randy Susan Meyers. This is not a happy book - it's sad and much too real - but it serves as an important reminder that our behavior has consequences not only for ourselves but for others. Accidents of Marriage is a snapshot from a family's life, and it effectively shows how the male lead: Ben's mood instability and verbal impulsivity negatively affects his wife and children. Frankly, we're talking about emotional and verbal aggressio ...more
Kate Hilton
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I greatly admired Accidents of Marriage. This is a portrait of an abusive marriage, but not the kind we are used to seeing in fiction.

Maddy and Ben's marriage is minefield of emotional, rather than physical abuse, but the effects are every bit as catastrophic. Maddy and Ben have three children and two busy careers between them. Yet it is Maddy who is racing to drop off and pick up children, to deal with medical emergencies, to organize dinners and laundry, to reschedule her own work commitments
Melanie Coombes
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I just finished Accidents of Marriage. I gave it three stars because "I liked it" but I did not really love it. This was a story that was both sad and lightly touched on emotional abuse.
Maddy is a working mom of 3 children. Her husband Ben struggles with controlling his anger and lashes out and yells quite a bit. Then one day, while Ben is driving with Maddy as the passenger, he gets road rage and has an accident that leaves Maddy with a brain injury.
The story is then focused on the family and
Robin Black
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book, pre-release. It has Meyers's trademark intelligent and insightful observations, all wrapped around an amazing compelling plot. What she doesn't know about marriage and family isn't worth knowing - she really understands not only the human heart, but also human psychology - and the pages turn themselves. This is for anyone who loves a good story and wants to really have a chance to ponder what goes in on families and between people who love one another and so ...more
Myrna
Oct 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Accidents of Marriage gives us a look at the devastating effects of uncontrolled anger in a marriage. If you are looking for a happy, feel good story, this is not it. It is a well researched novel with echoes of Hannah’s and Gudenkauf’s novels. Not a bad book...just was not a fan of either of the main characters. Check this book out if you like character driven, unpredictable dramas with different POVS

Favorite quote: "Love isn't an excuse for anything but treating someone well."
Rhonda Lomazow
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Naia
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
This was only so-so for me. It started out strong, but I began to lose patience with all of the characters--even the ones I was probably meant to sympathize with. This is a very character driven story and unfortunately, I was bored and frustrated by all of the characters.
Pam Jenoff
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meyers' books always tackle difficult subjects head-on but with great heart and here she is at her best. A moving and important story about the effects that unchecked rage can have on a family.
Brian
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I started out with high hopes for this novel. The premise was about a woman and her husband who was abusive, who puts her into a coma. I figured it would be dramatic and suspenseful. Instead we were treated with cookie cutter characters and a very slow moving plot. I didn't really like any of the characters at all. If the book is going to promise an abusive character, I want one who will be mean and memorable. This guy was just a jerk and was boring as well. I've read other books by this author ...more
debra
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this novel, and liked so much of what Maddy had to say and how she said it.
Susan Becraft
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a realistic story that it could be my own.

All three of Randy Susan Meyers' books were riveting to me, but Accidents of Marriage was like reading my biography. In my case, there was no horrific car accident that acted like a catalyst in this story, but how I related to Emma as I grew up with a father like Ben and to Maddy as a wife to my first husband was eerie.

As the eldest daughter of a successful man, I could do nothing right. Like Emma, I never knew what would set my father off, but he c
Heather
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! This book totally sucked me in. Ben and Maddy are a busy couple with three busy kids. Ben has anger management issues which eventually cause a tragedy that injures Maddy and the family slowly deals with the aftermath. I felt so many emotions for this family and so badly wanted things to work out for them. Ben made me so angry I had to stop reading and rant to my husband about him but at the same time I really wanted him to be a better person. Maddy and the kids - I just wante ...more
Anna
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben and Maddy have a complicated relationship. Ben, an accomplished lawyer, is an angry, selfish man. Maddy, a social worker, placates Ben and is the caretaker of their family. While Ben had never physically abused Maddy or the children, they each have developed measures to sooth Ben's temper. Ben and Maddy love each other, but there are fissures and cracks beginning to split them apart. Things come to a head when Ben's anger leads to a tragic accident, causing Maddy to suffer a severe brain inj ...more
Carol
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Cliché characters, cliché writing. Sweet put-upon wife with belligerent husband before accident, then somehow they just switched roles after the accident? Hardly believable. Husband's father a total ass. Wife's sister just ignorant. Whenever their daughter came onto the scene, I just wanted to lock the brat into her room for the duration. Hard to finish this self-indulgent novel.
Sonja Yoerg
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the best book I've read all year. Credible, elegant, deeply moving.
Diane S ☔
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review to follow.
Andrea
Well. I can easily say that Accidents of Marriage is among the best books I've read this year. I know that's a big statement, given that according to my GoodReads challenge, I've read way more than two hundred books in 2014. But with the emotional heft this story packed, along with its sweeping themes of marriage, sacrifice, and abuse, I know that Accidents of Marriage is one I will never, ever forget. When facing this review, I feel overwhelmed. I have so much to say about so many different pie ...more
Patty
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Accidents Of Marriage
Randy Susan Myers

My " in a nutshell" summary...

Maddy and Ben are in a car accident. Maddy is seriously injured. This book is the story of their past life and how they are dealing with their new life....

My thoughts after reading this book...

Sometimes when I read a book with intense family drama...I yearn for a happy ending...in this case...I wanted Maddy to have a happy ending...I could care less about her husband Ben!

Let me back track. Maddy and Ben live a busy life...sh
LiteraryMarie
How do you know when a marriage is too broken to fix? Maddy fell in love with Ben years ago. Now she is struggling to balance her career and raise three children while keeping her marriage in tact. The smallest thing can make Ben lash out in rage. For the sake of their children, she walks around on eggshells to keep peace in the home. Until one day, Ben's temper causes a car accident leaving Maddy in the hospital fighting for her life.

Accidents of Marriage is told from the point of view of Maddy
  • Leaving Haven
  • The Banks of Certain Rivers
  • Cancel the Wedding
  • Five Days Left
  • The Whole Golden World
  • The Stories We Tell
  • My Very Best Friend
  • Heart Like Mine
  • The Consequences (The Affair, #2)
  • It's You
  • The In-Between Hour
  • Come Away with Me
  • Your Perfect Life
  • Small Blessings
  • The Precious One
  • The Shortest Way Home
  • Dragon Day (Ellie McEnroe, #3)
  • The Idea of Him
I was born in Brooklyn, New York, where I quickly moved from playing with dolls to incessantly reading, spending most of my time at the Kensington Branch Library. Early on I developed a penchant for books rooted in social issues, my early favorites being "Karen" and "The Family Nobody Wanted." Shortly I moved onto Jubilee and The Diary of Anne Frank.

My dreams of justice simmered at the fantastica
More about Randy Susan Meyers

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“Even in hard times, we should seek to pursue happiness,’ ” 1 likes
“us. Do you remember?” “Like a butterfly?” Gracie suggested. “How it changes from a caterpillar?” “Sort of—but in her head, not just in her body. So she’ll talk slower and not understand everything for a while. Some things she’ll have to learn again.” “Like what?” Caleb crossed his legs and” 0 likes