Start by marking “Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction

Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction

(Solaris Rising #3)

Following the exceptionally well received, Solaris Rising 1 and and the Philip K. Dick Award-nominated Solaris Rising 2 series editor Ian Whates brings even more best-selling and cutting edge SF authors together for the latest extraordinary volume of new original ground-breaking stories.

These stories are guaranteed to surprise, thrill and delight, and continue our mission
Mass Market Paperback, 443 pages
Published August 26th 2014 by Solaris (first published August 14th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Solaris Rising 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solaris Rising 3

Start your review of Solaris Rising 3: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
Althea Ann
Jul 04, 2014 rated it liked it
***** When We Harvested the Nacre-Rice by Benjanun Sriduangkaew
This piece reminded me a lot of S.P. Somtow's Chronicles of the High Inquest. I almost felt that this could be an incident happening on the outskirts of that empire. Here, two planets in the same system are at war. It's a secret war, because if higher authorities hear of their little spat, both planets will lose what independence they have. People die while both sides try to maintain their terrible secrets.
This short piece has a rema
Scott
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
There were a few more stories in this volume that I didn't like or "get," but I still feel that the good outweighed the bad. Among my favorites were "Thing and Sick" by Adam Roberts, a cosmic horror about a pair of Antarctic researchers, one of whom claims to have solved the Fermi paradox; and "The Science of Chance," in which a mysterious young girl appears to have a connection to a tragic event that occurred decades before she was born. Once again there is a good variety of content in the anth ...more
Simon
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, short-stories
Sometimes, with these theme-less anthologies, they can feel a little direction-less.

There were of course a few great stories in here. Tony Ballantine's "Double Blind" was a great story that I would have liked to see fleshed out and extended into a much larger story. Adam Roberts's "Thing and Sick" was really well done in presenting a mind bending, paradigm shifting approach to the theme of alien contact. And I liked the way the collection was wrapped up with Rachel Swirsky's "Endless".

But there
Daniel
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My thoughts on Solaris Rising 3 have been languishing for awhile now as a co-review was first planned for Skiffy & Fanty and then got delayed and didn’t end up happening. As I look back over the notes I had written and the skeleton of this review in correspondence with a colleague I realize just how much I want to go back and read this un-themed collection again.

Yet, this is the first of the Solaris Rising series that I’ve had a chance to read, so I should probably go back and read the first two
Nicole
Overall I would say this is a very enjoyable anthology. I think the ones I didn’t enjoy were more of a case of me not being the right audience for them. Even with that, there were still quite a few winners in the mix for me.

When We Harvested the Nacre-Rice by Benjanun Sriduangkaew
4/5 stars
An interesting story with an interesting relationship and an ending I really enjoyed.

The Goblin Hunter by Chris Beckett
4/5 stars
While I wasn’t thrilled at the very beginning of the story, I was quickly sucked
Cathy
May 03, 2014 marked it as in-progress-will-get-back-to
So far I've only read One of Our Bastards Is Missing by Paul Cornell. It's a Hugo nominated novelette and his second entry into his Jonathan Hamilton series of short fiction. But a lot of the stories in the book look great. Unfortunately my library system doesn't have it, but I'll try to see if I can find some of the stories online.
Mieneke
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, science-fiction
Solaris Rising 3 is officially the fourth instalment in the reboot of the New Solaris Book of Science Fiction. This anthology series is one of my favourites. Whates finds a nice balance between easily accessible stories and the somewhat harder to parse, making the Solaris Rising series interesting to both relative new readers of SF and those more veteran readers. It is also the series that first made me realise that I might really like SF and short fiction after all, so I admittedly have a soft ...more
Narzack
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A few good stories, but nothing mindblowing.
Zeb Kantrowitz
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
Solaris Rising 3 Edited by Ian Whates

This is the newest version of the old anthology series the “New Solaris Book of Science Fiction”. The Editors try to bring a balance of genres to this volume and some will entice you and some will annoy you. It’s up to you to determine what you like but think of this as a smorgasbord from which you pick what you want and what you don’t. For that reason I will only comment on some the stories. Some I started and gave up on and others were not my style so I’ll
Margaryta
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Thank you to Rebellion for providing me with a copy of the book to review.

I think this is the first anthology I have ever picked up where I can honestly say that I found something in every single story that I enjoyed, even if I didn’t enjoy the actual story itself as much – in the latter case there were only 2 I didn’t really like, so that’s a record! Reading the praise about the other two books as well as the summary for this one I, admittedly, had rather high standards for what I expected to f
Mike
Jul 01, 2014 rated it liked it
"These stories are guaranteed to surprise, thrill and delight," says the blurb, which also has a couple of other errors in it. I was surprised a number of times, but neither thrilled nor delighted. These are excellent stories, varied, original and well-written, but most of them are not a kind of story I particularly like, as a matter of personal taste. Hence the three stars; it's a subjective three rather than a more objective four, because I give four stars only to books I enjoy.

It isn't just t
Elaine Aldred
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A good anthology of short stories should be like a quality, old-fashioned goodie bag, where anticipation is rewarded by a wide range of intriguing contents and a sense of satisfaction at having consumed them. Solaris Rising 3 does fulfil this expectation while proving that science fiction short stories can more than hold their own with the best the literary world has to offer; if a reader takes the time to tune into character of the genre. That its contents are free of an overarching theme adds ...more
Adam Morgan
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
The latest collection of science fiction shorts from Solaris Books is a rollicking exploration of strange worlds both near and far, with about an 80% rate of hits vs. misses and a star-studded cast of writers. Here are the three best offerings:

In "The Goblin Hunter" by Chris Beckett (the author of Dark Eden), a young colonist with the Indigenous Protection Agency investigates the poaching of a unique species of alien: one that can be tracked by intense feelings of anxiety, fear, and worthlessnes
Lisa
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
My foray into SF/F short fiction continues, and this was definitely a worthwhile book to continue it with! There were a few writers among the ToC here that I hoped would make the book a good one, and happily I wasn’t wrong...

Full review here: http://overtheeffingrainbow.co.uk/201...
Florin Constantinescu
Mar 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a case of uninteresting story following boring story following unreadable story.
Better waste your time reading something else.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)

Review coming shortly.
Jon
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not great - too many alternate histories
Hayley Dunning
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Ambitious mix of times, styles, approaches.
Odo
Jan 16, 2014
Roxy Nakamura
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers #3)
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • Tigra: The Complete Collection
  • Black Leopard, Red Wolf
  • Moriarty
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Himmelstrand (Platserna, #1)
  • Rosewater (The Wormwood Trilogy, #1)
  • A Darker Domain (Inspector Karen Pirie, #2)
  • Absolute Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Octavia Gone (Alex Benedict, #8)
  • The Joy of a Peanuts Christmas: 50 Years of Holiday Comics!
  • Hellboy, Volume 1: Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil
  • The Snail on the Slope
  • Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes
  • Batman Caballero Oscuro III: La raza superior
  • I Am Legion
  • Daredevil, Vol. 6
Ian Whates lives in a comfortable home down a quiet cul-de-sac in an idyllic Cambridgeshire village, which he shares with his partner Helen and their pets – Honey the golden cocker spaniel, Calvin the tailless black cat and Inky the goldfish (sadly, Binky died a few years ago).

Ian’s earliest memories of science fiction are fragmented. He remembers loving Dr Who from an early age and other TV shows

Solaris Rising (4 books)