Start by marking “After Everything” as Want to Read:
After Everything

After Everything

For readers who were swept away by Under the Tuscan Sun, charmed by Le Divorce, and intrigued by The Descendants, comes a heartwarming novel about midlife coming-of-age.

It’s never too late to make amends.

In contemporary London and rural France, a small group of friends reach their late fifties and discover that life still presents them with surprises and unexpected chances
Published July 22nd 2014 by Atria Books (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about After Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Everything

Elisabeth Gifford
Like Deborah Moggach, Suellen portrays with poignant and gentle humour the hopes and foibles of people who should know better. It kept me turning the pages to find out what would happen to people who I now feel I have met somewhere in London and count among my friends. With beautifully evoked scenes in France and London, this book was a great pleasure. Highly recommended. Looking forward to the next book.
Janine
This didn't exactly blew my mind but I never got bored with it either. The characters actually grew on me and I'm glad I decided to read it
Alison
Oct 09, 2014 Alison rated it really liked it
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I love how this author is able to write so well from both the male and female perspective. This is the story about a group of friends with whom we share their many insecurities, regrets, habits, innermost thoughts and faults as they grow older and their priorities are changing. Each one very different in their approach to life, yet there for each other through thick and thin. Beautifully told, this story kept me very interested in findi
Christine
Jun 14, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently divorced and seeking to reinvent herself, Penny moves to a picturesque town in France and renounces sex—until she meets an irresistible American philosophy professor. Meanwhile, handsome and unmarried Peter falls head over heels for the first time in his life with plump, sexy, and fiercely independent Frieda; David and Angie face challenges in their childless and co-dependent marriage; and Jeremy, twice divorced and the most successful of them all, develops a destructive interest in und ...more
Alan Bevan
Mar 31, 2014 Alan Bevan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great character study of people around my age who are still working out what matters in their lives. There is a clarity in Dainty's portrayal of motivation, insecurity, fears and fractured relationships. Yet, it offers some hope without becoming trite.
Claire
Oct 14, 2014 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received After Everything as part of a Goodreads giveaway.

A washed-up songwriter facing the breakup of his marriage, Sandy steps off a curb one day and is hit by a car in an apparent suicide attempt. Surrounding Sandy are his ex-wife Penny, now living in France, their two children, Matt and Emily, who have traveled to India in a bout of soul-searching, and Penny's and Sandy's circle of middle-aged friends: Jeremy, a successful businessman with a troubling attraction to young girls, David and A
Anne Wolfe
Sep 10, 2014 Anne Wolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy and Penny are the center couple in this tale of four male friends in their 50s who have maintained close contact since school years. They are recently divorced and Penny has moved to France in a cottage she loves being alone in. Peter is a bachelor, Tim and Angie are childless, and Jeremy, another focal character, is not all he seems to be.

Sandy, a former successful songwriter and present alcoholic, ends up in the hospital having stepped off a curb and being hit by a car. Suicide attempt?
Liz Houghton
Aug 01, 2014 Liz Houghton rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written and gripping book with an important theme: the damage that can be caused to an individual and those around them by a buried secret. The characters are varied and convincing, the locations in London, France and India are successfully evoked and there is plenty to entertain and delight the reader along the way. However the success of the book lies chiefly in the mature wisdom that is brought to bear on the lives of the two main characters. They both thought that a tra ...more
Deborah
Apr 09, 2016 Deborah rated it liked it
I loved the premise of the story. Being a member of the mid-life coming of age generation, I was eager to read this book. I was a little disappointed as I had difficulty sticking with it and I wasn't riveted by the story line. I think that some of the characters could have been developed a little better having said that, I enjoyed watching Sandy grow and develop in his ability to have relationships outside of himself. I think the description of this book is misleading as I didn't see that it was ...more
Mark
Apr 18, 2014 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book. There are quite a few characters to track, but once you've remembered and have the relationships sorted, it unravels into a brilliant story that holds drama, suspense, action, romance, adventure and comedy. It's a great character play that is engrossing and satisfying. It tells the story of four men,who have been friends for life, their partners and the challenges of change in their lives. The cover synopsis makes it sound like an everyday romance, but I ...more
Leslie
I won this in a First Reads, Goodreads giveaway. I want to thank them and the publishers or providing me a copy of this book.

This premise sounded interesting and I was excited to read this. The characters having their own POV was interesting and I liked that a lot. It gave a lot more depth. That being said, the story just didn't grab me and keep a hold of me. I struggled to finish this book. So overall, it was just an okay book for me.
Karen Pomerantz
May 11, 2014 Karen Pomerantz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story - a coming of age for the 50+ crowd, is written with maturity and depth. The characters are what you might expect if someone did a 50+ Friends series after they grew up, became more rounded, experienced life, and death - the characters are mostly appealing, flawed, sometimes funny, sometimes hurt, and sometimes victorious. Affected by friendships, broken relationships, and secrets.

The settings - in England, France and India are vivid, and lovely. A book well worth picking up.
Kylie Fitzpatrick
I loved this novel. It is the perfect fusion of beautiful and closely-imagined writing, of real characters whose flaws and heartaches make them believable and sympathetic, and an intricately-woven story that keeps the pages turning. I especially liked the sequences set in India, which were so visceral that I felt that I was there. I can't wait to read Suellen Dainty's next novel; she is an author to watch.
Holly Kimball
Oct 14, 2014 Holly Kimball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book is well written. You really get involved in the characters, their motivations and choices they have made that led them where they are. This book is not one to necessarily leave you with warm fuzzy feelings. What you are left with is more a jarring glimpse of how little you could actually know about the people around you. I enjoyed reading this book and getting a glimpse of these very real characters.
Judith Yeabsley
Nov 18, 2014 Judith Yeabsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Based around a group of 4 men approaching 60 (and their families) who have been friends since Uni and where they are up to in life and love. Doesn't sound riveting but a good read with great characters and a continual undercurrent that keeps you wondering what is behind some of their actions and emotions.
Angela Lett
May 20, 2014 Angela Lett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I so enjoyed this book. Poised and elegant; amusing and profound, it drew me in from the very first page. For all their faults, it's impossible not to identify with the characters as they come to terms with the crossroads that is middle-age. For me, their stories were so involving and affecting that by the time the novel came to the end it was like parting with a very good friend.
Anthony O'grady
May 10, 2014 Anthony O'grady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything - suspense, romance, bromance, sexual healing, mystery and imagination.I truly admire how the author sustains the plot and characterisation with vivid imagery and fluent word flow.'After Everything' is better than well written. It is good literature.
Anthony O'Grady
Bethany McAdow
Oct 14, 2014 Bethany McAdow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was okay in the beginning. Took a while to get into. I struggled to keep up with all of the characters every once in a while, but the ending was very good.
Dwanna
ARC received. Good first novel. 3.5 stars. Would read another by this writer. Thank you for the hand-written card, Suellen.
Shiralee Franks
Shiralee Franks rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Carolyn Blumenthal
Carolyn Blumenthal rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2016
Lorna
Lorna rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Suzanne J
Suzanne J rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Gretchen
Gretchen rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2017
Megan O'malley
Megan O'malley rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Peg
Peg rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2015
Ruth Thean
Ruth Thean rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Divine Spark: A Graham Hancock Reader
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Love, Again: The Wisdom of Unexpected Romance
  • Psychopath Free (Expanded Edition): Recovering from Emotionally Abusive Relationships With Narcissists, Sociopaths, and Other Toxic People
  • Red Ink
  • Whisper
  • Without You
  • Lifesigns: Tapping the Power Synchronicity, Serendipity and Miracles
  • Human Magnet Syndrome: Why We Love People Who Hurt Us
  • That Eye, the Sky
  • The Fallen Queen (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #1)
  • Fireflies
  • Song of Ireland
  • Her
  • Holly Lisle's Create a Character Clinic
  • Ember Island
  • Calling in "The One": 7 Weeks to Attract the Love of Your Life
  • Miserere: An Autumn Tale
I worked as a journalist and television producer after leaving university. It never occurred to me to write fiction. Like many working single mothers, I was too busy and too tired to try for anything more.
But my two children grew up. Finally I could ditch the day job. I moved from London to a small farm in Somerset, where I ran a B and B and learned how to be a short order cook and iron mountains
More about Suellen Dainty...