Jump to ratings and reviews

Psi Fighter Academy #1

Psi Another Day

When spunky teen Rinnie is forced to bust out her secret Psi Fighter moves in school in order to bring downs its drug ring, she encounters a deeper plot…and a more sinister danger.
My name is Rinnie Noelle.

By day I'm just another girl in high school who likes lip gloss. But by night I'm a Psi Fighter—a secret guardian with a decade of training in the Mental Arts. Kinda like Batman, but without the cape.
Bad guys beware.
After screwing up my first mission, I'm now supposed to fix the problems at my school. Major, fly-catching yawn. Sure, drugs are bad, but what crime fighter wants to put bullies in detention when she can save the world from nefarious villains?
’Cause I will take you out.
But things heat up fast. Now I have two guys into me—yummy new kid, Egon, and my old nemesis-turned-nice-guy, Mason. Plus, word on the street is that a Walpurgis Knight, the Psi Fighter's worst enemy, has infiltrated the school. And everyone is a potential suspect, even Mason and Egon. Darn. Fingers crossed I find the Knight before he finds me...

352 pages, Paperback

First published December 3, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

D.R. Rosensteel

3 books23 followers
Hi. My name is D.R.Rosensteel. I write clean YA fantasy action-adventure stories wrapped around real teen issues like bullying, drug abuse, and peer pressure. There may be a hint of romance or a touch of horror, but there will always be action, action action!

My message to kids who feel different--stick together. We have the rest of the world outnumbered.

My message to parents--pay attention. The evils of bullying, drug abuse, and peer pressure are real, and our kids don't always talk about it. Don't be a helicopter, but never be afraid to be a parent. Our kids need our guidance and our love. It's great that they have friends who have their backs, but it's better that they know you do.

My message to Psi Fighters--Vanquish Evil, Do Right, Protect the Innocent!

Check out my new website: www.DRRosensteel.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
20 (12%)
1 star
15 (9%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews
Profile Image for D.R. Rosensteel.
Author 3 books23 followers
November 14, 2013
Okay, I'm biased, but here goes. I love the characters, especially Rinnie Noelle. She is a girl with a questionable fashion sense, but Batman’s battle prowess. A role model for this generation, she is a mixture of innocence, shyness, and butt-kicking kung fu. Rinnie makes it cool to be a do-gooder. She’s a jedi with Cinderella’s heart, the girl who always befriends the underdog. Her secret identity and fierce fighting skills allow her to take on uber-villains who terrorize her city, but can’t help her or her group of politically imperfect friends defend themselves against the Excessively Cool Club or Art Rubric, the nastiest bully in high school.
No swearing or sex, but plenty of humor, high-tech weaponry and lip gloss, a tight plot with some twists, and a bit of One Direction. An old-fashioned story along the lines of The Hobbit, where the Meek become the Heroes, where Might doesn't make Right, and where Good always triumphs over Evil.
I personally can't wait until it's released on May 6 (release date has been moved due to a cover update and title change).
Profile Image for Rachel's Book Reviews.
686 reviews82 followers
April 30, 2014
*applauds*
This book exceeded my expectations! It had a serious plot, but a lighthearted edge because there was one thing this author NAILED.

It’s HUMOR.

Here's an example:
""Stu-dents," she said finally in a staccato voice, She waited until the auditorium quieted. "I have good news for you, and I have news that is less than satisfactory."
"What's the good news, Old Bag?" A voice from the back shouted. The auditorium echoed with laughter at the nasty nickname.
"For me, Mr. Rubric," she said calmly, " good news would be a relaxing breakfast of sausage, eggs, and a honey-covered biscuit, eaten after the joyful discovery that my milk carton had your picture on it."
[Rinnie:] Direct hit, I gave it a ten."

This man made me laugh out loud. And further? It was a humor that ANYONE would find funny. It’s not like other novels I’ve read where you see something that you know some find funny, but find yourself just grimacing at instead.

One thing I’ve noticed in other people’s remarks about this novel, is the seemingly hated “Love triangle.” Usually I’m not one for the dreaded triangle, but this book was so subtle about it, I’m not sure you could call it a triangle at all…(I’m not convinced, because I don’t see proof of two boys chasing a girl simultaneously.)

I also would really like to comment on Mason's story line. I loved to see his clockwork ticking and see his devastating past. I LOVED the discussion he had with Rinnie at the end (Wink, no spoilers...) It was really just a gentle, lovable moment.

I found his characters genuine, and I really empathized with Rinnie. Her voice was so unique and funny (and like a normal teenager, occasionally self-doubting and/or spacey.) Which I found to be attractive.
Even his society was well put together. I expected this book to be somewhat like Ally Carter’s Heist Society (I would typically say Gallagher Girls was closer, except I can’t compare because I’ve never read Gallagher Girls!)

Now, I saw the ending coming, but it was pulled off in a really charming way. (mixed with elements that I didn’t see coming.)

This is yet another example of how underestimated male writers are in the YA field. They really are capable of writing female perspectives and they really can have an iron grasp on female emotional ranges.

I would absolutely recommend this read to anyone looking for something a little whimsical, with a solid serious edge. This was written especially well for a kick-butt against drugs novel...

This novel was provided to me by YA BOUND book tours, in exchanged for a review. My view on the novel was not influence in any way, shape, or form, by the donation of the novel.

Don't forget to see the other lovely ladies' posts, you can find them all on a handy-dandy little list
HERE.
Profile Image for Alisha.
923 reviews78 followers
May 6, 2014
Superheroes. That word drew me in like nothing else could. It's like the world narrowed down to that one word on the page and I couldn't click "request" fast enough. When I came out of my daze, I clocked the word Knight, and my intrigue grew. Through in the murdered parents (which seems to be a requirement of being a Superhero) and the two guys who where blatantly going to become a love triangle, I was practically frothing at the mouth to read this book. Did I mention there was PSI type powers? Secret Orders?

But that's not all, the villains are the cool kind with the masks, there's the epic inventions, secret identities and even some old foes come back for another round. I am so in love with this book I can't even describe it so bear with me.

Rinnie is the best kind of leading lady/narrative voice. She's gloriously snarky/sarcastic, which of course, reminds me of me ;) I connected with her straight away because to me she was written very realistically, despite the abnormal circumstances she's in. Like me, (another reason I connected with her) she has a huge, some might say irrational (pffttt whatever) fear of spiders. To me this made the leading lady, the hero, so acutely human, you can't not connect with her. I loved how the Superhero has a fear. Pure loved it. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Rinnie go an journey as a character as well. This book is full of so much awesome.

I also loved the incredibly creepy villain, not gonna lie! So rarely do you get a creepy villain, they're all pure evil and far too serious, it was a nice break. I mean c'mon, who doesn't love a creepy villain?! I pretty much loved all the characters, Andy made me chuckle, even though I was like "I really shouldn't laugh that's a terrible line", like I just couldn't help but chuckle. I definitely stored away some of Rinnie and Andy's one liners with no shame whatsoever :')

The narrative given by Rinnie just flowed perfectly, along with the prose and plot. I love books that can make me laugh until I cry, or if I'm in a public place, laugh silently and get odd looks. This book made me laugh so much, I couldn't put it down because I wanted to keep laughing, I wanted to stay in the world the author created and I was so gripped by the plot.

It's not only the plot that keeps you intrigued in the story however, the author does this incredibly cool thing where they doesn't lay all her cards on the table at once. Rosensteel slowly reveals who is who, but not all at once, some of the secret identities are still a secret, which adds another great aspect to the book, I can't be the only one who was trying to work out everything, who was who, why, and what they can do?!

The author has really created a world you can get lost in, and one you really don't want to leave. There's really cool gadgets, with some fantastic science behind, not to mention the powers. I spent the whole time deciding "If I was a superhero which power would I want" and internally debating it.

The plot was fantastic. On the surface, it seems quite basic, but turns out to be much more complex. There's plenty of twists, I never saw any of them coming, I should have, but I just couldn't work any of it out! I love how the book was expertly written to leave the ending open for another book in the series (so much YES), but making sure there was a lead in for another book wasn't the main focus, the book had it's own agenda, and the lead in was expertly added as an after thought. Questions are answered, but there's such an intense need for another book because you need to know more!

The love triangle I was anticipating....was interesting. I'm not so sure it was a love triangle. It wasn't the main focus of the book at all, it was subtle, like an undertone, which I actually enjoyed to be honest, usually the love triangle is front and center in a book so this made a refreshing change. I haven't decided which "team" i'm on yet. I say yet because the door is open for more books, and the love triangle isn't over until the book series is, I currently don't have an opinion, although if you held a gun to me I'd probably say Mason, I'm leaning towards him, but ya know....still not made my mind up. If you want to find out who Rinnie chose then I'll just post a spoiler right...NO go read the book! To be fair, the participants in the love triangle, for once, are all quite deep characters, I mean look at Mason and his past, a real pass the tissues moment!

Psi Another Day....well it's kind of like James Bond stumbled in to an episode of Arrow. It's fantastically written, with a serious plot but still managed to be lighthearted. I just want to go up to the author and shout "NAAAIIILLLEEDDDD IIIITTT" and deliver a high-five, it's honestly deserved. I honestly think this book will make anyone laugh, I challenge you personally, to not crack even a smile when reading this! With characters you fall in love with, or ya know...want to be BFF's with, and an intriguing plot, this has everything you could ever want in a book. Including the incredible ending that will leave you wanting more and bribing the author to write the next book (there WILL be a next book!) like NOW.

Did I mention the author is male? Yes folks, as hard as the majority find it to believe, male authors are, clearly, more than capable of writing a spot on female perspective. I've seen other people say this, and I'll say it too....male authors in the YA genre are just SO frickin underrated it's ridiculous!
Profile Image for Lexie.
2,073 reviews297 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
September 20, 2016
DNF'ed at 15% I'm sorry but with the recent glut of superhero(ine) fiction I expect better from the hero(ine) AND villain.
Profile Image for Sylvia McIvers.
706 reviews40 followers
August 14, 2017
Started out with a good fight scene, where Rinnie disobeys orders and almost wins. Love it!
Then is Superman/Clark Kent the scene were Rinnie is a big nerd in school. Obligatory pretty bully scene. Next comes a training scene, and I'm losing interest.

The high school kids are manufacturing a perfectly safe drug. The Big Bad Guys are adding in ingredients to make people really mean. Also the bad guys are kidnapping little kids for fun and torture. Is Pretty Bully involved? How about Mean Cheerleader?

Yawn. I don't care.
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,101 reviews458 followers
May 8, 2014
**I received this book for free Entangled Teen via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Science Fiction-y
*Rating* 3-3.5

*My Thoughts*

*This book apparently is also called Psi Another Day. But, according to the copy I received via Netgalley and the publisher, I'm going with The PSI Fighter.*

Sixteen year old Lynn "Rinnie" Noelle lives two distinct lives. The first is that of a bullied high school teenager who lives through taunts, name calling, dodgeball, humiliation, and being a social outcast. She has only one true friend and that's Kathryn Hollisburg who also happens to know her OTHER identity and the fact that she's been in a sort of witness protection program to hide her real identity from the bad guys.

Rinnie is also a secretive PSI Fighter who wears a costume to hide her identity. For 10 years, she's had accelerated PSI training (Mental Arts) hoping for a chance at payback to the evil Walpurgis Knights who not only kidnapped her when she was SIX, but also killed her real parents. She uses such psychic tools as the Memory Lash, Mental Blast, and Thought Saber which comes with various emotions that can disable a threat in their tracks.

When Rinnie's first mission with her mentor Andor (Andy) Manchild goes sideways chasing after a man with a Skull mask, Rinnie is sent by the leaders of the PSI Academy to uncover the source of a drug known as Pyschedone 10 that is flowing through her high school. The drug is linked back to the Knights and their secretive leader Nicolaitan who hasn't given up on his search for the person Rinnie used to be.

I will say this to future readers; if you like comic book heroes, you will likely have a good time reading this book. It is also a mystery novel in that you truly don't have a clue who the real bad guys are since there are so many different characters, including the so called Red Team, who are truly bullies in their own way. I uncovered the so called apprentice early on in the story, but that's because it made sense to me. I was waiting for the moment to arrive when Rinnie finally realizes the truth, and goes to war with the dude. DR did a good job of playing it out until almost the very end.

The PSI Fighter, or PSI Another Day, is a very entertaining, filled with snark, has a lead character that has a plethora of responsibilities and problems weighing heavily on her shoulders which sometimes puts her into difficult situations. Rinnie is a character that I think people will have fun with and can easily connect to if you've ever been in her position of being bullied, or only having a few real friends to count on, and want to fight back against them.

I liked Rinnie's sister Susie, and the fact that she's just as badass as Rinnie and just as protective. I liked the relationship between Andy and Rinnie which is filled with snark, and humor, and off cut references to various TV shows. I liked that the Dweeb Squad stood up to the bullies with a little prodding from Rinnie. I liked that Rinnie uses so called Mental Arts, and she's not really at the the top of her game yet. Although she still has a ways to go, Rinnie is definitely hard core when it comes to learning how to fight back, and stopping the villains.

I will be looking forward to seeing where Rosensteel takes this series from here, especially since he left me hanging on the edge with a slap to the head ending. Thanks DR!

*Recvd via Netgalley/Entangled 04/21/2014* Pub Date: May 6 2014
Profile Image for Miguel.
239 reviews
May 3, 2014
Awesome/kickass main character? Check. High-tech and totally wicked technology? Check. Fighting bad guys using your own thoughts? Che--wait what??

tumblr_n3gqfz5O4Y1tti72eo3_250

Rinnie Noelle is a Psi Fighter. Other than having super human strength, these Psi Fighters channel their thoughts to form different weapons imaginable. I thought that was wickedly cool and I found myself geeking out a bit. Master Kilodan make me your apprentice, please. I want to know the ways of a Psi Fighter and the art of Mental Arts.

Going back to Rinnie, I really liked her! She had a very likeable personality and for once a main character didn't annoy the heck out of me. She's also kickass and full of spunk. I love how she handles situations carefully and I think that's her most admirable trait. I also really liked her relationship with Andy. Their banter is simply hilarious and the best. Speaking of Andy, I thought he was pretty hilarious throughout the novel. He seems to take every situation lightheartedly, but he does show some seriousness. He kind of reminds me of Kenji from the Shatter Me series.

Another character I liked is Rinnie's best friend, Kathryn. I thought she was the most unconventional Miss Popular ever. She shuns the cool crew and her numerous jock-y suitors. Instead she enjoys the company of Rinnie who is the exact opposite of her when it comes to social standings. And her sass is simply delightful.

I'm going to say it to you now: there's a love triangle here. And it was sort of lame for me. I was actually looking for more romance here, but due to the crazy stuff that's happening, it seems unlikely. Let's talk about our first candidate, shall we? We have Mason. He likes bullying Rinnie until one fateful day he seems to have "softened" up to her. And then we have Egon. The mysterious and charming boy who giggles. Yes ladies, you read that right. He freaking giggles. Of course, you'll have to read to see who Rinnie chose.

As for the plot, it was really engaging even though I predicted most of what's going to happen. I love how this book explores themes of bullying and standing up for yourself.

The ending really caught me off guard though. I totally wasn't expecting it. By the time I finished reading, I was gasping. JUST GIVE ME THE SECOND BOOK ALREADY.

tumblr_m6e44hM18v1ryj6qoo1_400

*An ARC was given in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Clever Girl.
231 reviews126 followers
July 15, 2016
Superheroes, masked villains, awesome inventions, secrets and secret identities, confusing boys, new mysteries and old foes. It's an excellent start to a fun and funny, new series.

I loved the concept of Psi Fighters. Rosensteel slowly reveals the who (but not all - some secret identities are still secret), where, why, and what they can do. It definitely kept me intrigued and turning the pages. The mystery likewise kept me interested. The twists and turns, the whodonnit, the surprises.

I adore superheroes, and Rinnie is definitely a superhero. She's a girl that can kick butt, physically and with her mental powers, a girl who does good, does the right thing, defends those unable to defend themselves, and does it without expecting anything in exchange.

I liked Rinnie's voice, it's so much fun to be in her head, to see the ways she thinks:

"He kept to the shadows, right where you'd expect a vomitous mass of loathsome troglodyte to be. Not that I'm judging. Innocent until proven guilty, as they say." (location 2288)

She's witty - and snarky - she had me laughing out loud more than once. Her descriptions were amusing, especially when she imagines people as animals:

"Long hairy arms, stubby hind legs, unibrow ... Mason is a wombat." (location 279)

I liked watching her journey during the book, as she learns her strengths, her capabilities, how an ordinary girl can be extraordinary.

The other characters: I adored Andy, the Psi Fighter's 'Q'. He's her brother, her friend, teacher and so very smart and inventive. And his one liners? Loved them.

"You can pun, but you can't hide!" (location 861)

I was glad that Rosensteel gave Rinnie a best friend, Kathryn, who knew her secret, who could act as a sounding board and a confidant. And the boys... Egon. Mason. The Kilodan. There's not too much I can say about them without spoiling things but they kept me guessing, trying to figure them out.

Of course the Psi Fighters have to have all the superhero trappings, masks (because every self respecting superhero has to protect their identity) and armor, super spyish devices and a lot of tricks up their sleeves.

I have to mention the names, I have a documented appreciation of my love of strange and creative names, see this review, and Rosensteel did not disappoint. Egon? Andor Manchild? The Kilodan? I was constantly looking forward to meeting new characters to learn what their names were.

At the end of Psi Another Day some mysteries are solved but not all as this is a series, I can't wait to see what Rinnie and the gang get up to next.

Disclosure: ebook provided in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Mandy.
979 reviews126 followers
April 27, 2014
I received Psi Another Day in return for an honest review as part of the tour hosted by YA Bound. Rinnie isn't like normal girls in school she’s a Psi Fighter which means she’s a superhero in training. She uses her psychic abilities to create weapons, her extensive hand to hand combat training, and Andy’s gadget’s to get the job done. Her secret identity is really important if it was to get out it could be detrimental so she wears a mask as well as armor that is stronger than Kevlar. Only one person knows her secret Kathryn that she’s a Psi Fighter.

Rinnie is still in training but she’s be assigned the drug ring that’s been happening at her school as well as to stop the bullying. It’s hard for her to stop the bully when she’s also being bullied and can’t use her psi powers without revealing herself. Even though she’s assigned the drugs Rinnie would rather be working the big case with Andy and even gets the chance but in her excitement blows the mission. Agreeing to work on the drugs at school she dives deeper learning that it’s more than just drugs and setting her on a deadly path that she may not survive.

I liked Rinnie right from the start she’s a super hero with a tortured past losing her parents at an early age and surviving high school is bound to be tough. She’s smart learning from her mistakes, growing as the book progresses which I really enjoyed plus she’s kick ass. I loved Kathryn right from the start she’s the beautiful girl who doesn't act like a stuck up snob. She even is interested in the nerdy guy for his mind which I thought was awesome.

I’ve only read a few superhero books so the concept for Rinnie’s story I found unique and exciting. The book is loaded with action, suspense, secrets, mystery and a touch of romance. I found Psi Another Day to be a captivating story right from the start, it was hard to put down because I wanted to see what would happen next to Rinnie. The book is a mystery that keeps the reader guessing, I was on the edge of my seat thinking it was one person only to be shocked to find out how wrong I was. I love a mystery that can trick me. I think the author has done a great job creating a story that teens as well as adults will enjoy. I felt the characters are well written you get know them even connecting with a few of them. I enjoyed Psi Another Day it was a fun read that I suggest anyone who likes super heroes should check out. I see potential for another book and would be interested in reading more about Rinnie’s adventures as a psi fighter.
Profile Image for AJ.
117 reviews46 followers
April 26, 2014
(Read this review and more at Pretty Bookmarks)

Disclaimer: I received a review copy c/o of the Publisher via Netgalley

If I could compare Psi Another Day to a TV series, it would be Nikita (if she was in high school). And it's no secret that I am a huge Nikita fan.

Psi Another Day was so thrilling to read. It was so action packed and fast paced that I kept turning pages. Psi Another Day is about a girl who is a Psi Fighter for the Academy, where she trains to be a fighter that is similar to kung fu, only with more mental powers and really cool futuristic gear. I really really loved all the cool futuristic gear like the Amplifier and Memory Lash and that one thing that scans your memories. Uhhhh, yes please!

Psi Another Day is equally character and plot driven, which made for a very holistic book. The characters were so interesting on their own with their mysteries but the plot really helped to elevate the characters and gave them new mysterious dimensions. There's a lot of spy lingo (if you will) that will take some time getting used to, along with learning the many characters of the secret spy world and the high school characters. Nevertheless, it was so interesting to see how the characters from the two world intertwined to make for such a great and intricate story. The plot was done in such a way that I kept guessing who the Scallion was and each time something would throw me off to show otherwise. The journey was so engaging and enthralling, I could not put it down!

I believe this book is part of a series and I cannot wait to see what they'll be up to next!

I really enjoyed Psi Another Day and it met my expectations of a spy book, mixed with a little bit more. Psi Another Day is a must-read for anyone who loves spies and action. Highly recommended!
Profile Image for Ruthsic.
1,763 reviews12 followers
May 11, 2014
Psi Another Day revolves around Lynn, a pyschic fighter from the Academy whose mission in life is to fight evil. Pretty cliche, I know but get this - even the opposite team is psychic and go by the term of Walburgi Knights. They are trying to get the secret location of the Academy (why?) and since everyone is in masks, this just becomes a mystery. There is kidnapping and drug rings involved but let's not delve into that now. I was excited because dude, psychic weapons sounded so cool. You just create them from your mind, even the ones with unfortunate names. It is really frustrating when a book with a good premise turns out to be terrible and that is what happened with this one. I could get over the cheesiness of the names and the whole black-and-white thing, but for heaven's sake, could the plot be reasonable? Of an entire Academy of trained psychic fighters, including the Four who are like Masters of the Mental Arts (unfortunate name, see?), only Lynn can crack down on the drug and child trafficking ring in her school? I mean, really?

Secondly, as much as a like a bad-boy-turning-good, I have a special place in hell for bullies. A bully cannot be justified as having a bad childhood, opting to third-grade tactics like pulling pigtails to get the attention of the girl - that's no reason to pick on weaker kids, okay? Next, the characters - too many of them, no depth, boring and nearly everyone is predictable. Hell, I could even guess who the Scallion was going to be, and I wasn't even in the story. But does Lynn get it? No, she goes for the non-obvious one because she doesn't like them. This could have been a reasonably good book if not ruined by terrible storytelling. Sigh, not continuing with this series.

Received an ARC from Entangled Publishing via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for Kimber Wheaton.
Author 4 books249 followers
April 25, 2014
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Psi Another Day is an action-packed, witty adventure featuring superheroes, creepy baddies, and laughs galore. I really liked the voice of main character Rinnie. She's so sarcastic and snarky. The narration simply flows from her point of view making this a very fast -paced story. I also liked the science behind the Psi Fighters. Their gadgets and powers were awesome.

Rinnie-- loved her. She has that kind of personality I adore while others tend to find it too grating. She reminds me of me :) Read the blurb... like the voice? That's all Rinnie there. I loved her irrational fear of spiders. She's unafraid to take down the toughest of baddies, but spiders are another story entirely. Her sense of humor kept me chuckling through the entire story.

After failing her first mission, Rinnie resigns herself to solving the drug issue in her high school. This is no ordinary drug issue, and is certainly no easy task. The popular kids are out of control in their nerd bullying. I don't want to give anything away so I'll be brief. Love triangle--Egon or Mason--I didn't have a strong preference either direction. Baddie infiltrating the school--Rinnie doesn't know who to trust. Great twisty ending that answers some questions but leaves others open for the next book.

If you like superheroes, snarky heroines, a wicked sense of humor, cool gadgets, and action-packed scenes then be sure to add Psi Another Day to your TBR list.
Profile Image for Louise White.
Author 3 books341 followers
March 16, 2015
Psi Another Day by D.R. Rosensteel is the first in his Psi Fighter Academy series. Rosensteel drops us right into the heart of the action with this amazing adventure. Magic and techno-wizardry abound in this tale which revolves around schoolgirl, Rinnie leading an exciting double life as superhero in training, her secrets becoming increasing difficult to hide from her 'regular' existence.
The storyline progresses well and there's plenty of action, intrigue and a touch of romance to be found in this gem of a novel which is packed with witty dialogue, believable characters and just the right amount of teen angst tempered with humour against Rinnie's tragic background which has shaped her to be the compelling and interesting character that she is.
There are entertaining twists along the way and I loved the development of all the characters. In particular, I liked the characters of mentor/friend Andy, best friend Kathryn, and the bad-boy character of Mason. Well defined and likeable, (Yes, Mason included) I loved the interaction of these characters. The bullying incidents are realistic but very nicely managed and I worried about the underdogs - some surprises with those! - and cheered their efforts throughout.
I recommend this to all fantasy/YA/ paranormal enthusiasts who are seeking a great new series to sink their teeth into.
Profile Image for Linda.
1,114 reviews47 followers
May 6, 2014
PSI Another Day is an enjoyable zany read PERFECT for tweens and teens. The characters were realistic and the plot moved quickly. The twists kept me guessing until the end as to the outcome.

Rinnie, our heroine, is a kick-ass PSI Fighter-in-training. She's feisty, impetuous, fun and has a good heart. Mr. Gadget would be insanely jealous of the hi-tech, futuristic arsenal the PSI Fighters have at their disposal. The villains she's fighting are creepy and plentiful. There's also your hurtful, mean bullies at school. No matter who she's facing, Rinnie is never cowed in her fight for good over evil.

The writing was polished and there wasn't a dull moment in the whole book! There was humor but also danger galore around every corner! I'm in my 60s and it was a bit far-out for me but I would highly recommend it to younger readers who enjoy YA paranormal romances.

3 1/2 stars!
Profile Image for Rachael Hanna.
3 reviews5 followers
May 6, 2014
I received this book in exchange for an honest review....

Rinnie is a bad ass Psi Agent, and an amazing character I thought. This book is far removed from what I normally read, but it was so surprisingly easy to read! I loved it and couldn't put it down. It was witty and sharp and all the things you expect from a YA novel.

Psi Another Day gets a thumbs up from me, I will say that even if you aren't into the whole "super hero crime fighter" genre the mystery and constant guessing is enough to sway you. I always figure out books before then end, but this one kept me guessing. Go read it! You won't be disappointed.
3 reviews
May 7, 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the premise of it about the superheroes among us. I enjoyed reading Rinnie's journey and loved following as she pieced together the pieces of her past in order to protect her loved ones in the present. I also absolutely loved the geek squad. I loved that they started to fight back by working together and think that it had some real life lessons for kids as well about standing up for what they believe. I also enjoyed watching Mason evolve and Rinnie's realizations about him. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book! This book is absolutely appropriate for young teens and adults alike!
12 reviews
March 4, 2016
Another Day
Joshua Summerlin
3/3/16

Another Day, by David Levithan, is a young-adult fiction novel that is a companion to Levithan’s Every Day. It is the same story, but told from the perspective of Rhiannon, the girl that A falls in love with. Rhiannon retells this story as she meets A who has a different body every day, but the same mind. It is meant to be a twin to Every Day, but is also a great stand alone read.

I would recommend this book to anyone who like Every Day but it’s a great book if you read it by itself too.

A sequel or more additional chapters and stories of A’s life would be cool but the book didn’t really need any extra parts.
Profile Image for FS Meurinne.
Author 2 books85 followers
May 6, 2014
"Received and ARC for an honest review"

Rinnie is quite a character, she made me laugh and then some. This book was so different to what I'm used to read but was quite funny. This new heroine will keep you reading until the end. Then comes Egon and Mason, this are some characters I loved to read, Egon being the new kid and the new turned nice-guy Mason.

The book can be read in one sit, the plot flowed but sometimes I wished it to hurry a bit up into more exciting stuff. Either way I liked it and would recommend for a fun and so different read for anyone.
Profile Image for Sara.
Author 13 books121 followers
July 20, 2016
I LOVED this book from the first page. Rinnie is in-your-face tough, with a sweet vulnerable side that she keeps hidden a lot of the time. Rosensteel is a genius with his snarky one-liners that had me laughing from the get go. As well as humor, the characters had depth, and the anti-bullying/anti-drugs message hit home but it wasn’t put across in a moralistic/preaching manner. I don’t usually read paranormal/sci-fi romances but will make an exception with this author. I can’t wait to read the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Tristin Greer.
1 review1 follower
October 11, 2014
This book was a truly amazing read. It kept you guessing with its twists and turns in the story's plot and never disappointed. The authors' thought provoking and intriguing use of vocabulary and imagery thoroughly explained every detail throughout the book. This is a must read!!!
Profile Image for Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries).
1,202 reviews391 followers
February 18, 2021
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

Friends. Readers. Assorted denizens of the Internet.

This is a really bad book.

Psi Another Day is a superhero-esque book in which a secretive group of people called Psi Fighters fight evil through the use of the Mental Arts and unspecified martial arts. Rinnie Noelle, born Lynn Morgan, lost her parents when they were murdered by the Psi Fighters’ evil counterparts the Walpurgis Knights and she’s determined to avenge them. She has the chance when the Walpurgi make their presence known through the drug trade. The stuff they’ve developed, Psychedone 10, radically alters people’s behavior to make them meaner and empty them of goodness, which can start them on the road to joining the Walpurgi themselves. Their leader’s apprentice is enrolled in Rinnie’s school and her assignment is to figure out who it is.

If Rinnie were capable of even intermediately complex thought, she’d have figured out who the apprentice was early on. Their identity is SCREAMINGLY obvious, but she remains mistaken about who they are until the apprentice reveals themselves at the very end of the book. It’s the start of a very long, very frustrating read made even more painful by some of the worst writing I’ve seen in some time. The book supplies choice quotes like the following:

Forcing me behind him, Egon pulled a huge wad of cash from his pocket. He slapped Rubric across the face with it, and tucked it away. “Oh, terribly sorry. I don’t seem to have any money either.” His emotionless face dared Rubric to disagree. “Whatever shall we do now, bro?” Egon slammed Art into the lockers. They banged like thunder. (p.143)

Thanks to an imprecise subject in “they banged like thunder” I and a few others were thinking something a little more… sexual was going on. Alas, “they” is the lockers and not Egon and Art Rubric having sex against some hallway lockers during school hours.

Egon stood motionless, radiating a cloud of gorgeous. (p. 144)

Egon should see a doctor about that cloud of gorgeous. You’re not supposed to radiate that.

“We don’t need no stinking passwords,” Bobby said in a really bad cyberpunk accent. (p. 270)

Well fuck me gently with a chainsaw, I had no idea an entire genre of fiction is also an accent people can speak in!

I could really keep going with the quotes, but I want to ask why a bunch of white people are running around doing kung fu? I don’t think there’s a single BIPOC person in this book, much less among the Psi Fighters. So why are they appropriating Chinese martial arts? Plus it’s not even specified which school of martial arts they practice. From what I read, “kung fu” is an umbrella term that covers multiple Chinese martial arts like Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi. Saying they practice kung fu is like saying you’re cooking meat for dinner: there are so many different kinds unique enough from one another that you should really specify.

Some of this cartoonish stuff is likely intentional. Maybe it’s an attempt to invoke the sweet campiness of early comic books. Unfortunately, it fails to come off with nearly as much charm in Psi Another Day. Names like Rinnie Noelle, Art Rubric, and Tammy Angel just seem silly, as does the Dweeb League that develops when the bullied kids band together. That’s actually what they call themselves! Tammy’s spiel about how kids need her “supplements” to “jump off the Loser Express and onto the Star Ship Angel, where the Cool Rule” (p. 242) just sounds like the imaginings of someone who has never met a teenage girl.

This is why I don’t read books by men much anymore, particularly if they’re writing from the perspective of a teenage girl. Not even the novel invoking the Villainous Crush as a trope was enough to make me like this experience even a little–and y’all know I’m a horny jail-bound sucker for a good Villainous Crush. I will start watching or reading a series solely because of that trope being present.

Am I reading the novel’s sequel, Live and Let Psi? God no. Someone would need to pay me by the hour to make me do it.
9 reviews
November 2, 2018
I love that this book is an action-packed, adventure featuring superheroes, creepy baddies, and laughs galore. Rinnie is a Psi fighter who is feisty, fun, and has a good heart. not only is she that but she is also tough and looks out for others. the main conflict that I saw was trying to find her parents murderer and avenging their deaths. I have learned that you should not judge people based on their looks and attitudes. you must know everything and know that your information is accurate. overall I love this book and I think people who love action and thriller will love this as well!
Profile Image for Tessi.
86 reviews8 followers
May 11, 2014
I received this book in advance from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Reenie is a Psi Fighter. A member of a secret society accomplishing things a superhero would do; thus they even wear masks and disguise their voice in order to hide their identity. Sounds pretty awesome, right? No wonder I was magically attracted to the book. And I’m telling you, the book is awesome. I mean, how amazing is the idea and book concept of the author? Not only are Psi Fighters totally cool, like ninjas, when it comes to fighting, no. They are also masters of the Mental Arts. Which means they can turn thoughts and memories into something physical or even into physical force; they can put all of their enemy’s feelings into a weapon and turn it against them. It was really refreshing to read about something new in the urban fantasy genre.

Nonetheless, there were some passages that occasionally made the book a little slow-paced, but which I expect to change in the upcoming sequels. Personally, I would’ve cut about 50 pages in the middle of the book: There are many great twists and surprises in the book, yet the action sometimes kind of slows down, e.g. when Reenie asks herself to what extend she can reveal her secret or even she has those “debriefing sessions” with her BFF Kathryn over and over again. Yes, Reenie does have to make a lot investigations on her mission, yet I wish Rosensteel would’ve come straight to some point ever now and again as I sometimes found myself overwhelmed by the amount of information you get in some chapters which made me mix up the names of some characters.
Also, Reenie sometimes gets a bit too naive for me. I mean, she is a funny and humorous person but it is not always understandable why she is a kick-ass and fearless fighter on the one side but quickly switches to become an annoying, drivel-talking girl on the other side. Such as shoting the breeze with her BFF Kathryn, chattering about girly things such as boys and stuff. It’s not as if I didn’t enjoy reading these passages….their friendship even reminded me of the funny relationship Gwen and Lesley share in the Ruby Red trilogy. Nonetheless, Reenie is clearly described as an almost-social outcast; oh-so-gorgeous Kathryn however is not. She decides not to hang up with the cool cliques but still, people are craving for her attention. For me, this just did not make sense. I did not get it either why Kathryn would ditch “date requests” from some of the most popular boys of her school, but, instead, fall for the totally nerdy and geekish boy of the school. Their relationship was really cute, though.
Which makes me come to the next point I want to talk about. As you might know, I’m one of the world’s biggest insta-love hateras well as love triangle hater. Guess what? Both things were present in the book. I know that this course of story of course is indicated in the blurb but still, I was looking for that certain indefinable something that makes the romance in the book outstanding. Untortunately, it didn’t live up to my expectations; I’m neither Team Egon nor Team Mason. I mean, Egon offers Reenie to be her bodyguard during of their first encounters. Wouldn’t you be creeped out, no matter if it is asked for fun or not? In this case, Reenie was too trustworthy for me (no, Egon does not become her bodyguard but Reenie falls hard for him).
However, except for the romance, Mason is a very interesting character, though – we meet him as a mean bully, but he turns out to be an ambitious, clever, caring but somehow broken boy. I’m eager to learn more about him in the next books.

Rosensteel keeps his writing light and simple; it is perfect for teenage readers. It is that style of writing that makes you enjoy the book but which you normally will quickly forget again after some time….
…if there weren’t Reenie’s voice: It’s sarcastic, cheek and totally fun! She knows how to handle each situation with charm, wit and humor which ultimately makes her a very likeable main character!

This book definitely deserves a solid 3.5 stars. It gave me some very good reading moments and I totally recommend the book to readers who are looking for some new refreshing superhero stories in the fantasy genre.
Profile Image for Caz.
1,098 reviews24 followers
March 5, 2017
I thought this would be a fun book but it was just a bit drab.

None of the characters stood out and Rinnie was pretty bad at her job. Like, after all that training, she didn't do anything right.

Profile Image for Kassiah.
798 reviews85 followers
July 27, 2015
3 stars.

A modified version of this review is also posted on Swoony Boys Podcast.

Books featuring secret agents are some of my favorites, so I was pretty excited when I found Psi Another Day, the first in a new series from debut author D.R. Rosensteel.

Rinnie Noelle doubles as a regular, somewhat geeky high-school student by day and a super evil-fighting agent by night. Rinnie and her team of mental weapon-weilding Psi Fighters are trying to take down a drug ring that has infiltrated her school. After a botched mission, Rinnie is even more determined to bring down the bad guys. Trouble is, no one knows who they are and on top of that, it's possible that one or more of them could be a Walpurgis Knight--a mortal enemy of the Psi Fighters. When Rinnie suspects that her nemesis, pretty boy Mason Draudimon could be behind it all, she'll stop at nothing to get to the bottom of it--even if it means getting close to Mason to find out all of his secrets.

The idea for this story was pretty awesome. I loved everything about the Psi Fighters. They're unique.
"Each Psi Weapon is unique. Some disrupt your ooponent's perception. Others affect their memory or distort their reasoning. All tug at emotion in one form or another."

I loved the other Psi Fighters that we got to meet, especially Andy. I liked Rinnie. She's sassy and funny, and you know how I feel about stories with enemies who realize they actually love each other. Love them!

The other characters were pretty typical for high school. I liked Kathryn, Rinnie's BFF for the most part, but I'm not so sure that she should have gotten all the information that Rinnie divulged to her.

The boys were okay. We didn't really get to know either of them as much as I would have liked, particularly Mason, though we did learn a lot about his past. And he was such a boy.
Why are you out in this empty hall all by yourself when I'm alone in this dark and dreary lab? Are you stalking me? 'Cause if you are, I'm okay with it.

I really liked Kathryn's boyfriend, Bobby. He was nerdy and geeky but totally stood up for what he believed in. Definitely a highlight.

There were things that I didn't like. It was a little too slap-stick for me. I guess I take being a super-hero a little too seriously, but I felt like Rinnie wasn't focused enough and that her superiors' expectations of her were not realistic at all. I also felt like the whole triangle thing was very contrived. There's even a point that Rinnie thinks she might want out of Psi-fighting, which I think was a realistic reaction but over a practically non-existent boyfriend? DNW.

Also, do boys giggle?

Action-packed with a mystery to solve and a snarky girl, Psi Another Day is a promising debut in a new series, and I'm looking forward to reading more of their adventures.
Profile Image for Ella Janine.
124 reviews32 followers
January 12, 2016
Originally posted at The Filipina Booknote

What to do when you come across a blurb that screams superheroes and highschool flick together? You click request and pray that they allow you to read it.

The Psi Fighters are nothing like comic book superheroes. We're more like awesome vigilantes. We practice the Mental Arts, which are like martial arts with extra caffeine and awesome sauce.

Rinnie Noelle is an ordinary highschool student who has a popular bestfriend, Kathryn, and is bullied by Mason, her arch-enemy. But what her crush, Egon, and her school doesn’t know is she’s also a Psi Fighter. Psi Fighters are superheroes in this book which uses mental arts as their weapon. They just use their mind and voila! they just kicked your ass. Rinnie’s life revolved around two things, surviving highschool were bullies and evil classmates lurk, and busting this big drug case which involves people who hurt her family. You know everyone who keeps big secrets is bound to find trouble sooner or later right? And Rinnie did have her own troubles, mainly setting priorities between her ordinary life(mainly her love life) and her superhero life. If you want to find out about her conflicts, you better read the book.

I was really excited to read this one after seeing this at Netgalley. I thought the blurb really sounded interesting and having a kickass heroine was what made me looked forward more to reading this. It was really ”grool”(cool and great) seeing the life Rinnie had. She had this amazing mind power that makes her weapons, flips villains without breaking a sweat and she was not an irritating character. Except the part where she got sidetracked by her love life, I liked her personality. I also adored her bestfriend, Kathryn. She was the perfect side-kick to Rinnie. She was talkative, curious, and loyal. It was funny how their girl problems got mixed with all the superhero duties Rinnie had to face. Kathryn was like a neutralizer and Rinnie’s much needed break when saving the world from evil gets exhausting.

The story was also well written and it explained what or who lead to those events. I must say Rosenteel did a good job with this debut book. This book was funny and exciting at the same time. The story might have been a little clichéd at times but it didn’t ruin the story for me. Hey, highschool lives are meant to be clichéd at times, right? Another thing I noticed was how this book subtly addressed the issue of bullying and cliques in our schools. That once and for all, those in minority groups get to have backbones too and learn how to stand up to those who step on them. So to readers out there who are big fans of superheroes and likes to imagine them living with us, this book is a good read and you’ll enjoy this one. But I have to be honest here, although I did like this book and I do anticipate for the second book, I still feel it was a so-so. It's lacking a bit of kick and I hope the second book brings that.
Profile Image for Raquel.
356 reviews166 followers
March 24, 2015
More than your normal, geeky high school student, Rinnie has been training with the Psi Fighters since she was a child. Protected by the Fighters since her parents' murder, Rinnie has rapidly become one of the best. After screwing up her first mission, Rinnie's out to prove that she's ready, and in order to do that, she has to solve the drug problem happening in her school. Rinnie was a pretty funny character, witty and snarky and at times snappy. She's also fierce caring and loyal, specially when it comes to her family and friends.

The Psi Fighters as a whole were a pretty cool group--from Andy to the Kilodan to the Whisperers. On the other hand, I found Rinnie's unconventional high school where the Cool Rule kind of cliched and overdone. Frankly, I wanted to punch somebody (particularly Tammy) but at the same time I rolled my eyes at the whole situation. In regards to Mason and Egon--well, I wasn't exactly sure who to root for. Mason, with his bipolar complex or Egon who was--quite frankly--a bit dull. Can't say I'm surprised at that twist in the end, either. Nevertheless, my favorite character was Katherine! I truly, truly fell in love with her hilariously frank personality!

I don't want to give anything away, so I won't really go into the whole drugs and Walpurgis Knights aspect of the book. I will say that I spent the majority of the novel a bit confused--but that may have to do with all the science involved; I'm not a science person (never was, never will) and there's a lot, a lot, a lot of science involved in Psi Another Day. Prepare to think, people, because this novel wasn't exactly an easy read in the sense that there's a lot of information thrown at you kind of all at once. Also, in the beginning, everything happens so fast and I had to stop and think about what had happened for a minute, before I could continue reading. So consider yourself warned. Regardless, if you're into snarky protagonists, then you'll definitely enjoy Rinnie and her story.

For more reviews, visit my blog at Bittersweet Reads.
Profile Image for Ciara B.
10 reviews
May 10, 2014
I love this book. I was hooked from the very first mission.
If you are like me and love crime, mystery, and secret identities you will love Psi Another Day. Rinnie Noelle Psi fighter messes up her first mission and is then sent by one of the Four, her mentor the Kilodan, to clean up her high school by taking down the drug ring which may also be tied into the local child kidnappings. Being a target for the bullies makes it hard for Rinnie to keep her secret identity, it takes a great deal of self restraint for her not to drop kick them like a soccer ball. Rinnie finds out that the Knight who kidnapped her and killed her parents has resurfaced also resurfacing old memories and feelings of guilt and regret. Susie is Rinnie's little sister who is in elementary school and training at the academy as a psi fighter. Andy also a psi fighter and like her brother to Rinnie, and also my favorite character and a genius, but very full of it and doesn't care one bit. Kathryn is the most popular girl in school and also Rinnie's best friend and the only friend that is not a psi who knows the truth about Rinnie all of it. Then there is Egon the new boy in school who seems to have it pretty bad for Rinnie and vice versa. Mason is the boy from school who bullies Rinnie and gave her the awful nickname peroxide. These are just some of the people in Rinnie's life and some she finds are not who she thought they were. There are a a lot of positive messages throughout the book involving real struggles many teens deal with that allow them to relate to the characters with struggles such as drugs, friends, relationships, bullies, and people not always being the person that they seem. Rosesteel did an amazing job, building the mystery, usually it doesn't take me long to figure them out but the way this story is written there is so much going on adding just enough to keep you guessing. Once you start reading you will not want to put it down. I highly recommend this book to everyone, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kayla.
51 reviews6 followers
April 25, 2014
Actual Rating: 3.5

I would give this a solid 3.5 stars. The concept was original and I enjoyed reading about it. I also really liked the characters, especially Andy. He’s so funny and I love his relationship with Rinnie. Most of the characters were multifaceted and seemed real to me. There were others however, like the The Red Team, that were just your stereotypical mean girls but that is something I can overlook.
I loved the narrator’s (Rinnie) voice through the book. She had this sarcastic, funny tone that ran through the whole book and I found myself randomly laughing or smiling because of it.

I was a little frightened when I first learned that there was a love triangle in this book. PLEASE AUTHORS STOP! WE DON’T ALWAYS NEED A LOVE TRIANGLE. If you couldn’t tell I have very strong feelings on love triangles. I hate them and they normally ruin a book for me. However, this one had purpose! Shocker! It also didn’t feel like a full-fledged love triangle to me. I really liked the reasoning behind it and how it was resolved!

This book was a little confusing for me and that’s where it lost its stars. A lot is happening! There is a ton of things going on with a large number of characters in the story and we’re trying to piece everything together along with Rinnie. However, sometimes when she would make statements about what was going on I just couldn’t follow it. This has never been an issue for me so I assume that some of it had to do with the writing, but maybe it’s just me. Everything did finally click together but not before it had been explained again.

Overall, I thought this was an excellent start to a series. It got me interested in the concept and in our main character. Is this one of my favorites no, but I would recommend it to someone looking for a different kind of crime fighting novel.

I received a free e-arc of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 60 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.