Start by marking “Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader” as Want to Read:
Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader

Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader

Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader documents the 1964 Mississippi Freedom Summer Project, when SNCC and CORE workers and volunteers arrived in the Deep South to register voters and teach non-violence, and more than 60,000 black Mississippians risked everything to overturn a system that had brutally exploited them.

In the 44 original documents in this anthology, you
Published May 30th 2014 by Wisconsin Historical Society Press (first published May 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Risking Everything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risking Everything

Start your review of Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. As soon as it arrived I opened it up to thumb through, thinking I would just take a browse but not start it until it came up later on my list... but I was hooked as soon as I began to read. Not being American, I have scant familiarity with the civil rights history, but after living in the states for a few years recently I've become very interesting in understanding that time period. This book documented an important period in the civil rights movement, the Freedom Summer o ...more
Brandi
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Risking Everything: A Freedom Summer Reader" by Michael Edmonds is a wonderful reference book for those students studying the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. This book includes a collection of documents pertaining to the 1964 Mississippi Freedom Summer Project, where volunteers went to Mississippi to register voters and teach those people who wanted to change things means of non-violent protest.
I enjoyed being able to read about events that occurred in my parents' youth so that I could be
BowbytheBay
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Devastating book. Even though it isn’t very long, it took me awhile to finish it because I couldn’t read more than a little bit at a time. I was stunned everyday by the incredible courage of the people involved in the Freedom Summer: the organizers from the North and, even more so, the African-Americans in the South. The title of the book is quite true; these individuals were truly risking everything. The fact that these inequities between whites and blacks still exist today is not surprising wh ...more
Jane Db
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The inspiring story of students and activists who traveled to Mississippi and risked their lives to challenge segregation and help secure voting rights as part of the Freedom Summer project in 1964. Original documents provide first-hand accounts and give the reader an appreciation for the courage of those who participated in Freedom Summer along with a better understanding of the civil rights movement.
Denise
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
History books don't tell all of the story. Personal narratives, like those in this book, are eye openers. What occurred in the past is tragic and stupid. Hopefully we can learn from these mistakes and others like them (Holocaust, Aparthaid), and treat all humans with the dignity and respect that all life deserves.
Katrina
Jan 06, 2015 added it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
31 pages of a 223 page book are written by Edmonds. There is very little in the way of ruminations on the sources more more explanations of reliance. Is this enough for the committee to consider? Everything else is primary sources.
Emily Pauly Neuens
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What an important time in history to remember and be remembered. Michael Edmonds and the Wisconsin Historical Society has done a phenomenal job chronicling the Freedom Summer of 1964.
Mar 02, 2015