Start by marking “Season to Taste” as Want to Read:
Season to Taste

Season to Taste

2.54  ·  Rating details ·  837 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
A startling debut about the extraordinary end of a marriage and its very strange aftermath.

Meet Lizzie Prain. She is an ordinary housewife and lives with her lovely dog and her husband, who is a bit of a difficult fellow, in a quiet cottage in British country side. She's a wonderful cook. She enjoys her garden. And, occasionally, she makes cakes for the village parties.

Published July 15th 2014 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2014)

karen
Mar 28, 2014 rated it liked it
this is only the third book i have read in which a woman eats her beloved, so i'm no expert or anything, but this one manages to make cannibalism pretty dull - an achievement for sure, but not an achievement you really want to celebrate. i first heard about this book from this article when i was researching marriage thrillers for work, and i got really excited. i've read Gone Girl and The Silent Wife and Before We Met and i was hoping for something that took the deadly momentum of these toxic re ...more
Blair
Review originally published at Learn This Phrase.

Lizzie Prain is a fiftysomething woman who spontaneously murders her husband. And then eats him. That's about it for the premise of this dark and often stomach-turning novel. That in itself is not a criticism: this simple setup is all Season To Taste really needs to make it intriguing. Team that with an increasing amount of hype and discussion of the novel in the press and on blogs and, as a feminist twist on a controversial taboo subject, it look
Samantha
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was sent this book in exchange for a honest review.

Once I had read the blurb I thought the book sounded really different and intriguing, I was a little apprehensive of starting it as I had heard it was gruesome, something that I don't really like in books. However I had also heard a lot of people talking about this book so thought I would give it a go.

This is about Lizzie, the opening few pages we realise that she had murdered her husband, Jacob. She hit him over the head with a garden spade
Michael
Nov 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, contemporary
As most people know, I love a good transgressive novel and Season to Taste or How to Eat Your Husband sounds like the type of book I was going to enjoy. The premise is simple; after thirty years of marriage Lizzie Prain has had enough. A single blow with the shovel caves his head in and now she is free but she also has to dispose of his body. Her method appealed to her practical side; she was going to eat him.

The book sounds deliciously macabre and to some extent there are some dark moments but
Steph Patt
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
***I received this book as an ARC for an honest review***

What it is about

Lizzie is a 50(ish) year old woman that murders her husband in their yard, chops him up into pieces, sticks him in the freezer, and eats him. The entire plot line (what there was of it) is flashbacks of her past with her husband, who in my opinion doesn’t sound so terrible. Lizzie befriends a boy at the local garden center and he is a total weirdo. The entire story is told through weird shifts of third person, first person,
Michaela
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vizuálne som sa do knihy zamilovala...textilná záložka, oblé rohy, červená oriezka, tvrdá dosková väzba, krásna predsádka, striedanie tlačeného a písaného písma...
A ten obsah, úprimne, nedesilo ma to až tak, ako by som bola čakala a aj čiernym humorom sa akosi šetrilo... V hocijakej kriminálke sú detailne popísané nechutnejšie veci a tu ma to má šokovať? Ale po knihe Marka E. Pochu je toto slabší vývar, čo sa týka krutosti a krvavosti a jedenia ľudí.
Lizzie v podstate svojho manžela zabiť neplá
Tez
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it, or is it not, a spoiler? It's the subtitle on the UK cover, and clearly the drawcard. Without it, I wouldn't have tried the book. So glad I did, though. Murder! Dismemberment! Cooking! Cannibalism! If you're interested in any of these, you'll be interested in Natalie Young's Season to Taste, or How to Eat Your Husband. (Rephrase that: If you're interested in READING any of these... Because if you enjoy DOING murder, dismemberment, or cannibalism, you'd best turn yourself into police.)

So i
Robyn Koshel
Jul 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Season to taste” is a suburban dark comedic horror that would make Roald Dahl proud.

“Season to taste” starts off with the best motherly advice “You have to get your head around disappointments. And try not to drink”. I think that line alone sums up Lizzie’s state of mind. Lizzie co-dependant and disenfranchised. Snippets of her life appear throughout the story as Jacob, her husband, chipped away at her over the years, little piece by little piece.

I suspected that Jacob was a bit of a narcissist
Lene Krogholm
Dec 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
I finished the book but really didn't like it. I found it boring and did not even realise until after I finished it that it was supposed to be funny. The character Lizzi really didn't catch me either. I could not relate at all and I thought both her and her husband were...well lazy idiots. I really did not get why they were together. It seemed like everything had always been wrong and they had chosen to be misserable and depressed. The story wasn't clear on why she killed her husband, what drove ...more
Philtrum
Feb 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never judge a book by its title.

This promised so much yet failed to deliver almost completely. To be honest I’m struggling to think of anything positive to say about this novel(la) other than its title (which is great, and thus takes it off the very bottom rung of the ladder).

“How To Eat Your Husband”??? What a great idea. It could have been so good, and it could have gone off in so many different directions. It could have been a great horror story. It could have been darkly humorous. It could h
Elizabeth Moffat
Aug 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars from me. A big thank you to the lovely people at Book Bridgr and Tinder Press/Headline for allowing me to read this very dark and unique novel. The title kind of says it all so no spoilers there! In short, it is about a fifty-something woman called Lizzie Prain whom after thirty years of marriage decides to take a shovel to her husband's head. The only problem now is, what to do with the body? Ah, yes the obvious solution - eat it. In this way, the power in the relationshi ...more
Amanda - Go Book Yourself

A review copy was provided by Tinder Press in return for an honest review

Just when I think I can't possibly be grossed out by a book any more, Season to Taste comes along! I honestly thought I was immune at this stage. Especially after reading Cows by Matthew Stokoe.

Lizzie s husband is dead. He was working in the garden when she attacked him with a shovel, twice. Being so unconventional herself, Lizzie doesn't trust the conventional methods of corpse concealment such as burying. The only way
Kate
Fifty-something Lizzie Prain is stuck. Trapped in an unhappy marriage and trapped in the middle of woods. One morning in March she picks up a garden spade and kills her husband, Jacob. After thirty years of being his wife, Lizzie doesn't feel like she should suffer any further for one moment of insanity (or is it clarity) in their garden. Being an extremely practical woman, Lizzie comes up with a plan. Eat the evidence. Starting with the hands, Lizzie disposes of Jacob one body part at a time wi ...more
Anne
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a real ingenuity to Season To Taste. The idea behind it, the writing, the subtlety, the horror, the black humour, and yet it is quite sedate, almost staid - very steady.

I am giving nothing away by telling you that the story begins just as Lizzie has murdered her husband Jacob. She battered him around the head with a garden spade on on ordinary Monday morning. Lizzie has endured a long and miserable marriage, and she certainly does not intend for anyone to make her suffer now that Jacob
Marina Sofia
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What to think or say about this book? It certainly won't leave you indifferent! At first I found the descriptions of seasoning and cooking of human flesh rather nauseating, and perhaps there are a few too many of them, but they form a neat counterpoint to the otherwise so dull, so conventional and repressed ordinary life of a woman who has never felt loved, never excelled at anything, never seemed to have a mind of her own.
Besides, it's not the first book featuring cannibalism (and in this case
Becky
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Now that her husband is dead, Lizzie has a clear cut goal: move on and live. But first she has to deal with the sixteen pieces of Jacob wrapped in trash bags in her freezer. Her plan is simple - she's going to cook him and eat him, piece by piece, until there's nothing left. No body and no way to get caught for her crime.

I really struggled with this book. When it hit shelves I was super excited. It sounded so dark and unique. But when I started reading it just wasn't hitting the spot. I left it
Христо Блажев
Манджа с човешко: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/d...

Някои неща не могат да бъдат обяснени. Като например как толкова интересна идея за сюжет може да бъде толкова громко опропастена. Очаквах дълго време “Добър апетит, или как да сготвиш мъжа си” на Натали Йънг, предвкусвах бляскаво тържество на черния хумор, на психологически разломи и нестандартен подход към семейно-кулинарните отношения – но не получих ни едно от тях. Не, сериозно, как може историята за това как една жена убива и после, з
Andrew
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should come with a warning at the beginning about how gruesome some of the scenes are, and after a 50 pages I wasn't sure if I really wanted to carry on as The humour was buried very deep under a swathe of very black olive oil, garlic, vegetables and other fascinating recipes that Jamie Oliver or Hugh FW, would be proud of. The plot is as it says on the front cover, Lizzie Prain a woman in her late 40's murders her husband and proceed to cook and eat his remains from the freezer in her ...more
Jane
May 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't have picked this to read if it hadn't been a birthday present. I'm still not sure if there was anything of merit to it, as the eating of Lizzie's murdered husband was a touch too grotesque at times for me which coloured my opinion a little. There were some rather poignant and frank descriptions of human nature which I enjoyed but I didn't like any of the characters much. Black humour...I'm not sure!
Петър Панчев
Купих книгата, за да поема още една доза от необичайните идеи на майсторите на писателското слово, които преминават всякакви граници на въображението си, за да изконсумират повече приходи от продажби (в САЩ това е мисията на всички капиталисти).

Натали Йънг е престояла неизвестно за мен време сред трупове и с професионален писателски интерес се е "ровила" в тленните им останки, за да натрупа материал за книгата си.
Aneta
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, adult
Recenzi najdete na blogu:http://bookshelf-stories.blogspot.cz/...

Tahle knížka je jedno velké NE, NE a ještě jednou NE! Po jejím přečtení vážně nevím, co jsem si na začátku myslela. Že bude vtipná? NE. Že bude popisy nebudou tak grafické popisy? NE. Že mě to bude bavit? NE. Jediné co na téhle knížce mohu pochválit tak je grafická úprava knihy. Ta je opravdu pěkná, ale to je tak všechno.
Katy Leanne
Jan 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Found it hard to follow, characters kept coming into it that played no part in the story and weren't explained to the reader, the story kept changing from past to present which made it hard to read, found it a chore to finish it. I understood the message of the book and found it sad and thought provoking but the story ended up like her marriage, slow, boring and monotonous.
Andrew Nolan
Sep 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Interesting premise - and beautiful package ... but unfortunately not a book that I would recommend. I wasn't interested in any of the characters, and I slogged through each chapter hoping that it would get better. This one was not for me.
Leesa
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
"Season to Taste" by Natalie Young. The cover blurb: " an enjoyable feast of anger- witty and poised" but I can't get past the gruesome descriptions of how the main character prepares to cook the husband she has murdered and dismembered. Yech.
Yvonne (vonheadinabook)
I enjoyed this book,it was gruesomely good in places,but for me the ending let it down...
Annie Turton
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had not wasted my time on this heartless , unrewarding read .
Janiera A
Oct 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This book is one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a while. The description sounded so wonderful! It should have been an amazing physiological horror story. In stead, the story was so dry and boring I couldn't even finish it. The scenes had no strong descriptions, the characters actions were written like cardboard. You could not build any connection to the characters because they were all so terribly boring. I could not even finish this book which really saddened me as I was so excited ...more
Drucilla
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: y
Looking at the Goodreads rating for this, it looks like I'm not alone in my thinking. The reason I went with a 2 star rating instead of a 1 star rating is because I think a certain type of person will "get" this book. I mean, I think the narrative is hard to follow and I never felt anything for the characters, but I think this book is aimed at certain people at certain times in their lives.

Side Note: If you're thinking about reading this, make sure you have a strong stomach. It can get pretty g
Benjamin Torres
The premise is great, but the delivery is awful. the book is monotonous even in the supposedly climactic portions of the book. I understand that Lizzy's chapters were intentionally narrated in a cold, logical and emotionally detached fashion, but it is boring to read the preparations and decisions she makes when they are described simply as a household chore list.
Lexi  M.
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book; I’ve never read a cannibal-horror before. It wasn’t a bone-chilling, hair-raising read, but it was fairly entertaining. There are a few plot holes, but nothing major. The point of view changes may confuse some readers, along with the flashback scenes. However, it was worth the read
  • S hlavou v oblacích (pejru)
  • Every Move You Make
  • The Parisian's Return
  • The Lying Game
  • Odstíny života (Odstíny života, #1)
  • Your House Is on Fire, Your Children All Gone