Start by marking “Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family” as Want to Read:
Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family

Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family

Sweet Sleep is the first and most complete book on nights and naps for breastfeeding families. It’s mother-wisdom, reassurance, and a how-to guide for making sane and safe decisions on how and where your family sleeps, backed by the latest research.

It’s 4 A.M. You’ve nursed your baby five times throughout the night. You’re beyond exhausted. But where can you breastfeed s
Paperback, 1, 512 pages
Published July 29th 2014 by Ballantine Books (first published July 28th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Sleep

Jan
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How about 6 stars? Eight? Ten??? This is without a doubt the absolute best book I've ever read on night-time parenting, co-sleeping and/or bedsharing (not the same thing, by the way). It gives the REAL skinny on safe sleep -- not the ineffective and insufficient mumbo-jumbo offered by the CDC, AAP, and First Candle. This is REAL life. This is where our families live. THIS is the information they need to know! It is completely and thoroughly researched -- and the side comes down heavily and posit ...more
Michelle
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babies-and-kids
Putting aside my own personal thoughts on bed sharing, this book is great. It's well researched and well written. The authors cite research as they write and explain it. Their chapter explaining SIDS is extremely helpful.
Esther
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that are life-changing because they change your outlook or understanding so dramatically that you end up overhauling your behaviour as well. In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan was one of those books for me. This is another. I wish I'd known it existed much sooner, and I hope many more people read it.

Of course parents (and their families and health professionals) should have all the best information to make informed choices about sleep arrangements and baby care in general
Kelsey
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
LLL's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is what saved me as a three day old sleep deprived mother. It suggested breastfeeding in bed, and after falling asleep in a chair with my baby and hating myself for it, I read that suggestion and did some 3am internet sleuthing for safety tips and finally got some sleep. Two years later we're still bed-sharing, I am so glad that I heeded that advice.

I read Sweet Sleep even though we're past the stage of needing most of this information because I wanted to
Jessica Piper
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I figured out pretty quickly that bed sharing would not work for me. The author seemed to view the baby sleeping in a bassinette next to the bed as a poor substitute for bed sharing, so I did not find this book terribly helpful. My biggest gripe with the book was that the author downplays the SIDS risks associated with bed sharing, while emphasizing that putting your baby in daycare increases his or her risk of dying of SIDS, something I have never read or heard anywhere else. This book is proba ...more
Sarah White
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic book instils confidence to share your bed with your breastfed baby; after all it is the biological norm and perfectly safe providing you follow the safe sleep seven rules. It’s thoroughly scientifically researched, with common sense advice where research is lacking. In fact since reading the book my own breastfed family have changed sleeping habits with remarkable results. Everyone who works with mothers and babies should read it, as there’s so much misleading and counterproductiv ...more
Lacey Louwagie
This book has an agenda, but if you go in knowing that, it also has a lot of good information -- and more importantly, support for parenting that is just a bit outside the mainstream.

I do wish I had read it earlier, back when I was in despair about how I would never sleep again, when I couldn't fall asleep because I was tense and bracing for the next time my son would cry in his crib, because that time always felt so near at hand.

I am a rule follower. I like to do things the way you are "suppos
Marie
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this book. It's the best baby book I've had my hands on. I wish, I'd had it when my child was newborn. The support, reassurance and advise is so amazing. Would have saved me so much time, as I found this information my self scattered from different sources. I simply can't recommend this book enough. Escpecially any pregnant mom considering to breast feed and/or co sleep.
Allysia K
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I needed to read this book. As a sleep-deprived mom 1 month postpartum, this provided good sleep information and peace of mind. It takes a soft approach to infant sleep (it's against cry-it-out, and in favor of sharing beds), but it's science-backed and anti-fear mongering. It has reassuring stats and information on SIDS and smothering risks, and has really helped assuage my fears, especially in the middle of the night.
Tze-Wen
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, owned, parenting
A book to revisit often: it has given me more insight into infant napping and nighttime sleeping among others. More importantly, it's made me feel more confident about my parenting choices (co-sleeping, bed-sharing safely, babywearing, breastfeeding, etc.) :-)
Selena Beckman-Harned
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must-read for parents following an attachment parenting philosophy and interested in bedsharing. I know there are as many opinions on baby sleep as there are parents, but we’ve found this approach works well for us now and this book was very reassuring.
Amy Alice
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I want to give this 4.5 stars and they've lost a whole half star by giving bad dog advice. Do not go to Caesar Milan for dog training. He is the Gina Ford of dogs.
Otherwise. Excellent. Saved my sanity and armed me with ammo for naysayers and we're all sleeping so much better. Breastfeeding can continue.
Kimberly
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
My baby isn't anything like the babies this book discusses. She loves her pacifier, her swaddle, her bassinet and hates cosleeping and my Moby and Tula, and she DEFINITELY would not sleep through being moved around in a laundry basket. The book is pretty opinionated about the right way to go about parenting and according to it I'm doing it all wrong. I gave it two stars because I did appreciate the section on how to cosleep safely, despite the fact my dd isn't interested. I think the book would ...more
Riley Johnson
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tons of great information! I learned a lot about normal infant sleep :)
Nicola
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book every new parent needs it . Theres so much pressure these days to have a "routine" and not have "bad habits" . I contributed to this book so am slightly biased ;-)
Jess
Oct 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: partially-read
The helpful tips were too buried in judgey fearmongering. Couldn't hack it.
Elizabeth
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I read this book when I was pregnant and I think everybody should read this.

In particular, I really liked the precise and clear style of writing. The book is well researched too.
Emily Webb
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Not very many helpful strategies.
Marianne
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: not-finished
LLLI gets a bad rap and I'm usually one to defend them. We've lost sight of the biological norm for infant feeding and they're trying to reclaim it. I don't talk about LLLI with that snark that a lot of people have in their voice.
I was down for cosleeping and we were fine for the whole breastsleeping thing. But at five months, when that was no longer working for any of us, I started looking for gentle, developmentally appropriate sleep training to get Firstborn into her crib and away from some o
Tiffany Tubville
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this book while attending a La Leche League meeting. I had previously read about safe bedsharing guidelines in “The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding” during pregnancy so we’ve been enjoying bedsharing since my son was born. We love all the cuddles we get with him, we have no bedtime battles, he sleeps well and it makes nursing at night so much easier. “Sweet Sleep” has much more information about sleeping safely and suggestions to fit each family’s needs, research and studies to suppor ...more
Moira Burke
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it
As a naive expectant parent, I loved the science-backed recommendations and common sense. No idea if they'll work in practice. But even if you have no plans to share a bed with your child, sleep deprivation makes parents fall asleep with babies on sofas, so you might as well understand how to make a sleeping surface safe(r). It changed my perspective on bed-sharing from "absolutely never" to "we'll see." The tone is a bit judge-y and mothers who can't breastfeed would probably find it outright o ...more
Ness
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book changed my life! I read it while pregnant and it helped me find confidence in the sleep-related parenting choices I was about to make for my new baby. It's packed full of research and reality-based recommendations that just make biological sense. We've been a happily bedsharing family for the last four months and I'm pleased to report that sleep is mostly a non-issue here. Who knew THAT was a possibility!?

I am so happy I was gifted this book and hope to pass it on to others in the futu
LaKrystal Gordon
May 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very focused on bedsharing and kind of preachy if you don't want to bedshare. Also, no real advice if you don't want to bedshare, so not very helpful in that respect. Some useful information on SIDS but still everything was focused on why you should bedshare, not strategies for getting breastfed babies to sleep on their own on a separate surface in the same room or in another room.
Juliet
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Good to read if you're curious about bedsharing. It does get a bit repititious about why bedsharing is amazing...

I didn't find much in the way of actual naptime strategies though, which is why I read this book in the first place.
Kirstie
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book a super reassuring read when my partner was pregnant and I was crazy anxious about how we were going to deal with sleep deprivation. However I referred to it exactly zero times once baby was actually born. Best for the breastfeeding, co-sleeping kinda parents, I reckon.
Emily
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: women, parenting
Very helpful and informative. Helps to reassure those going against the flow (and public policy) with solid research and practical, facts-based advice. Done suggestions could have used more clarification, but overall very good.
Elizabeth Bedor
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book provided the encouragement and information I needed to parent the way I want to parent. The authors cleared up misconceptions I had about SIDS, bed sharing and safe sleep. I highly recommend this book!
Amanda
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: raising-a-baby
As someone who bedshares, breastfeeds, etc etc, I was looking for advice beyond: here's how to bedshare. It's good to breastfeed. I can see the value of a book like that- but wish this book were called something else. It's a bit misleading.
Jenny
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who follow attachment parenting
If you already agree with this book's style of attachment parenting, you'll probably like this book and appreciate the tips inside.

If, however, you don't breastfeed, co-sleep, wear your baby, etc., then this book will likely annoy you.
Peta Bruce
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to know the best way to bed share with your baby safely??? This is the book for you! Very informative
  • The Evolution of Childhood: Relationships, Emotion, Mind
  • Natural Hospital Birth: The Best of Both Worlds
  • The Fussy Baby Book: Parenting Your High-Need Child From Birth to Age Five
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Escape From Childhood
  • Attached at the Heart: 8 Proven Parenting Principles for Raising Connected and Compassionate Children
  • Kids: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Raise Young Children
  • The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN
  • Parenting a Free Child: An Unschooled Life
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • First Art: Art Experiences for Toddlers and Twos
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • The Einstein Syndrome: Bright Children Who Talk Late
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
“If there could be a little blue light on the rooftop of every home in your town where a mother is awake when you are, the town would be lit with little blue lights, coming on and off, but always lots of them. It might even help to picture it when you’re feeling awake and alone in the middle of the night.” 0 likes
“we’re recommending that all breastfeeding mothers prepare for bedsharing whether or not they ever intend to do it, since research finds that most breastfeeding mothers do sleep with their babies at some point and preparing for bedsharing is safer than accidentally falling asleep together.” 0 likes