Start by marking “Labor's Untold Story: The Adventure Story of the Battles, Betrayals and Victories of American Working Men and Women” as Want to Read:

Fundamentally, labor's story is the story of the American people. To view it narrowly, to concentrate on the history of specific trade unions or on the careers of individuals and their rivalries, would be to miss the point that the great forces which have swept the American people into action have been the very forces that have also molded labor. Trade unionism was born as ...more
Published December 1st 1955 by United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of Amer (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Labor's Untold Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Labor's Untold Story

Start your review of Labor's Untold Story: The Adventure Story of the Battles, Betrayals and Victories of American Working Men and Women
Jason
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who works for a living
Recommended to Jason by: Nodozejoze
This book was recommended to me a long time ago by Nodozejoze, but I kept putting off reading it because, honestly, labor history always struck me as a real snooze. I figured that because work is boring, reading about working and workers must also be boring. Boy, was I wrong. This book has been a page-turner from the first. The stories of the injustices perpetrated against working men, women, and children, usually with the imprimatur of the state and federal governments and the muscle of the ...more
Minku
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: working stiffs, and non-working non-stiffs
Have you ever bitched and moaned about how long the bus or train is taking to get to your stop? Of course you have. But have you ever stopped to think about the workers (besides yourself) who made the roads, rails, buildings, clothing, food, and everything else you need to live your modern life?

This is the history of post-Civil-War America that everyone needs to read, and they'll realize that the fight against human slavery is FAR from over. There are several other essential labor history books,
The other John
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, schoolbook
You have to be careful when you read some history books. You have to read with caution, testing each paragraph, sometimes each sentence, to see if there might be some sort of agenda hidden amongst the author's prose. That's not a concern with this tome. Misters Boyer and Morais wear their agenda on their sleeves. Labor's Untold Story is the story of the labor movement from the left-wing point of view. J.P. Morgan, John D. Rockefeller and the Pinkerton Detective Agency are the bad guys; Gene ...more
Dan
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring-school
I feel that at first glance this book could almost be classified as communistic propaganda. I says only positive things about the labour movement and strictly negative things about the businessmen and industry. It accuses modern industry of crimes varying from murder to evicting people from their homes. The labour movement leaders are praised as heroes and held in high esteem.
Even with the all the obvious socialistic sentiment, what am I complaining about? Isn't this, after all, a book
C. Barnes
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm on page 383 of 402 of Labor's Untold Story: Nonfiction, referring to authentic sources such as the Annual Report of the Attorney-General of the U.S., Congressional Records, the Daily Miners' Journal 1877, the New York Times and Tribune as early as 1877 and 1887, the authors even document their sources. I question the competency of those who condemn the authors and who ignore the immense array of primary sources and periodicals listed on pgs. 382-384. How can anyone ignore the Report of the ...more
Kristin Dahl
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kristin by: A dear friend
It took me two years to read this book. It’s not exactly a page turner. At the end I felt that I came away with a better understanding of people in general, but not only that a better understanding of my own country and its political history. I always felt that there were gaps in the history I was taught in public school and this book helps to fill in some of those gaps and to better understand motives. I highly recommend this book to people who are interested in learning about history that is ...more
Jasson
May 23, 2012 added it
Awesome!
AJ
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Only a few chapters were assigned to me for school... Those chapters weren't very good, and didn't inspire me to read the rest of the book.
Onysha
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
3 stars

I never knew anything about the post-Civil War factory/mining working life until I read selections of this book. The little I read of it was enough to show me how horrible the conditions were for the blue-collars back then. (They still are now. Factory workers in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, and China get little pay. Bangladesh, India, and Pakistan still employ child labourers, who are often abused and given little food. The children are often sold into slavery by their parents, who
Merritt
Dec 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Well, I only read selections for school, but they seriously killed me.

This book was written in the 1950s by two guys who obviously still liked the idea of communism. Even after WWII.

The subject matter and information this book gives is really fascinating. It's kind of the dark side of the Labor Movement-- what your textbooks don't tell you.

However, I had a hard time respecting what was written when it was so biased, and so many assumptions and generalizations were made. Plus, all of the
Dawn Roberts
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Densely packed and a slow read. The authors lean heavily left, and it's hard to read this book as though they are at all objective. However, it does contain a wealth of interesting history from the time of the Civil War through the first half of the 20 century that I've never read before, concerning the struggle of laborers at the time of the robber barons.

Finally finished. Very dense and somewhat tedious. As I said, the writers are laughably slanted and as pro-Communist as they could probably
Nadja
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Mostly very good. Dense and hard for me to get through. Completely one-sided, which I was expecting. They have the source material to back their stories up but I have a hard time painting people with such a broad brush. It's sad to read some of the decades old statistics regarding distribution of wealth and see they've not really changed.
Jason
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reading this book has been the first time I have ever heard of the horrible conditions of mass labor in the first half of the twentieth century. As long as you keep in mind that this book was written by a couple of very-biased communists, and watch for little irregularities, it is fascinating.
Michael
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Imperial Fact: A necessary read for all.
Dan Taylor
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: labor-history
Labor always a question of life and death
gabriel morales
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
this is a 1000 page book masquerading as a 400 page book. i don't know, the font choice and the line spacing made the book feel like i was taking 20 minutes to read a page. much of the book had me drifting in and out of consciousness despite the work of the authors, who really tried their best. it has some really gripping and powerful stories of the lives of labor heroes and heroines. the parts on the molly maguires, the haymarket affair, the wobblies and the first sit-down strikes are great and ...more
Isaiah the Ox
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Isaiah the Ox by: Sonlight
I read only select parts of this book for school, and I found the writing interesting. Some parts were written like a story, and were interesting. However, the writers would also go into a page or so of just statistics which were very boring. The authors would also mention people again, without even reminding the readers who they are. Although some could say this book is very one-sided and communistic, it is still a side of history that isn't always looked at.
Caeser Pink
Aug 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book as research for a documentary on labor unions. Actually it was given to me by the president of the Transit Worker's Union.

I thought it was a good read. It made history interesting. It is biased towards labor, but still fair.

Having read quite a few books on the subject, this one was quite concise while still giving a good understanding of the challenges labor faced in order for workers to have collective bargaining rights.
Algernon
Feb 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, politics
Published by one of the unions that split off from the CIO, this history of the labor movement from the Civil War into the Cold War is unabashedly partial to the working class. Its prose is impassioned but its historical authenticity is not sloppy, as the authors document their case with extensive footnotes on source material.
Craig
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A very good introduction into the many episodes that have either been twisted or ignored by writers of history. While the author's prose is very evocative and brings you into the moment, a little editing could have made the book more comprehensive.
Nick Kjeldgaard
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very thought provoking book on how the labor industry evolved and the history of the unions. A lot of information in it, but a great book nonetheless.
TaniaMaria
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
The storiesand research was amazing. The writing is good but not great. History that should be taught.
Skye
Aug 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: homeschool
Very dry! Good information, though.
Abigail
This book was a real eye opener. And its a very educational book.
Amy
1.5 Stars.

It was okay. The thing is, unfortunately politics and the like bore me to death.......I found it very hard to concentrate and understand what this book was saying.
J
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Who the hell gave this book less than 5 stars?
Ryan
David Smith
Feb 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Road from Home: A True Story of Courage, Survival, and Hope
  • You Want Women to Vote, Lizzie Stanton?
  • Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity
  • China's Long March
  • God spoke Tibetan; the epic story of the men who gave the Bible to Tibet, the forbidden land
  • Know What You Believe: Connecting Faith and Truth