Start by marking “Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning” as Want to Read:
Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  9,151 ratings  ·  1,023 reviews
To most of us, learning something "the hard way" implies wasted time and effort. Good teaching, we believe, should be creatively tailored to the different learning styles of students and should use strategies that make learning easier. Make It Stick turns fashionable ideas like these on their head. Drawing on recent discoveries in cognitive psychology and other disciplines ...more
Published April 14th 2014 by Belknap Press

To ask other readers questions about Make It Stick, please sign up.
Bryan Tanner You won't learn faster, but you will learn better. The learning advocated in this book (created through effortful repetition) may seem harder, and lik…moreYou won't learn faster, but you will learn better. The learning advocated in this book (created through effortful repetition) may seem harder, and like your learning less, but in fact, you'll learn more and retain it for longer.(less)
Oscar Romero Interesting question--but I sure have an easy answer for you-YES! Read it and provide your 2 cents right after....I honestly don't see any negatives i…moreInteresting question--but I sure have an easy answer for you-YES! Read it and provide your 2 cents right after....I honestly don't see any negatives in this book--it is an amazing book we all should read and practice.(less)

·  9,151 ratings  ·  1,023 reviews

Start your review of Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning
Jeremy
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
If only I had known... So I'll let you in on the secret. EVERYTHING you need to know is contained in Chapter 8. The final chapter of the book, naturally. So skip to page 200 and save yourself a LOT of time wandering aimlessy through the groves of academe. Not that there isn't viable information in the preceding seven chapters, mind you, but it's a long slog of background before getting to the good stuff.

I suppose they had to do something to make it more than a pamphlet.

Trust me. Read Chapter 8
Amir Tesla
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Learning faster, and remembering more, is a lofty goal endeared by any ambitious individual. Unfortunately, our default way of learning is terribly ineffective.

Refer to Full summary of make it stick: science of successfull learning

Also how I use the techniques of this book to read faster and remember more

Perhaps this has happened to you as well, asking a person’s name just to forget it a minute later. What’s worse is that we think to ourselves, gosh, I have a very bad memory. Just if I was a
Patrik
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very convincing and readable book about how to better learn and, as an extension, how to better teach. Two psychologists and (thankfully) one writer present the latest research on learning and, in so doing, refutes some of our most popular learning techniques (such as 'practice, practice, practice' and my favorite 'read and reread'). At the end of the book, the following eight concrete techniques are offered:
1. Retrieving - practice retrieving new (and old) learning (self-quizzing).
2. Spacing
Morgan Blackledge
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
What's the first thing you (and everyone else) does when you're trying to learn a subject or text? Odds are good you read, highlight sections and then re-read the text. We all do that because it feels like we're learning.

If this is you, than according to researchers who split test different learning strategies and compare results, you're wasting your precious time and energy and there's a much more effective way to learn. It's more difficult, but it's way more effective and takes way less time.
John Martindale
I am an audiobooks junkie and often soon after I finish a book, I go to the computer to write a review, but my mind feels completely void—it seems like I completely forget all I just heard, even the fascinating tidbits. All I feel left with is an impression concerning whether I liked the book or not. Since there is this mental blockage, most of the time I just don't write much of a review and consider those things I wanted to share, lost. Most of my life it has seemed the majority of what was im ...more
Elizabeth Theiss
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
From the perspective of a professor with a good 20 years of experience, this book is a gem. The authors use research to demonstrate how students learn best and how teachers can structure courses to facilitate student learning. While I've read many books on teaching, few are as helpful as this one.

For example, frequent recall of recent information cements learning. Teachers can help by providing frequent low stakes quizzes that require students to utilize Bloom's taxonomy. The authors provide bas
Ilib4kids
Jan 03, 2015 rated it liked it
370.1523 BRO
CD 370.1523 BRO

Similar book "How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens" which focus on history instead of giving practice tips

Ideas I learn most useful:
1. Learn more by testing than re-reading; re-reading create illusion of mastery.
2. Spacing and interleaving are more useful than sequential learning and mass practices.
3. Growth mindset is extremely important not only in learning, but in everything. Setback and mistakes are only ways to success. Do not a
David
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite book on learning. The writing is approachable rather than academic, and the content is completely research-based. If you want to learn how to be a better learner, or to help others learn how to be better learners, this is a must-read. A cognitive psychologist friend introduced me to it by gleefully saying, "I have been replaced by a book." Indeed. This is the best book on the science of learning I have ever encountered. I would give it 6 stars if I could.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
A really interesting book making the case for non-traditional and often counter-intuitive learning techniques such as continuous testing vs. repetition, spacing and interleaving tasks requiring different efforts rather than sequential practice (i.e. complete mastery before moving onto the next level). The book promotes the concept that easier is not better in learning (i.e. effortful recall produces long lasting results) and analyses the evidence for the scientifically unproven but heavily marke ...more
Marc Lais
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
A very interesting subject that is covered thoroughly in this book. Unfortunately, I don't think the authors had enough novel ideas to fill 200 pages. This resulted initially in a lot of repeated information (sometimes almost verbatim), and later in the book losing focus and wandering all over the place. The two paragraph conclusion read like it had been written by a high schooler who suddenly realized she had met the word count requirement. Make it Stick would make an awesome TED Talk or a 3 pa ...more
Alex Linschoten
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 'Make it Stick', the authors explain how to study, how to learn things for long-term retention, and how to tweak the school experience to encourage retention. The authors strive to make examples practical and applicable. Spaced-repetition software is never mentioned in the book -- in fact technology really isn't the focus -- but it's possible to read it as a love letter to Anki. (This would have been five stars but for it being slightly too long.)

Some key things I learnt:

- testing recall help
Andy
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This gibes with my experience as a teacher so I am inclined to believe it without having read any of the original research. The author refers to the science that backs up his points but mainly uses anecdotes. This is a readable and I think useful book about how to help people understand and retain information.
Matthew
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely fantastic and essential book, and I would recommend it to anyone who considers themselves to be a lifelong learner or wants to become one. Like the title indicates, this is a book about the science of how we learn, what are the best strategies to learn effectively and what methods can we use to improve cognition/intelligence. In addition to that, this book provides up-to-date research on similar and related topics in cognitive psychology and neuroscience, specifically, mind ...more
Samantha
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superbly wonderful guide if you want to learn better in a more efficient manner. Mainly, it talks about how you need to slow down and digest the information, think and comprehend the material every so often, but most importantly, you need to quiz yourself in order to better remember the subject matter. Memory retrieval and interleaved learning is what will make you succeed, among other techniques.

For example, a typical student would read the required text and pen highlight the important ideas.
Nathan Moore
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to learn, especially those who struggled in school.
I've read some great books on learning and skill development this year. I've been looking for a book on the subject of learning with a special emphasis on memory and long term retention and this book fit the bill. I read it after reading the Talent Code, which focuses on developing fine motor skills and I've also recently read Outliers which argues that mastery comes from long hours (about 10,000) of focused practice.

In Make it Stick, Brown and others argue that most of the study habits of Ameri
David
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of the books I've read about learning, this is my favorite. This review comes right on the back of reading and reviewing How We Learn by Benedict Carey which was published in the same year! I got a lot out of that book, but thought it had some flaws. This book covers more variety and still manages to avoid the criticisms I had with Carey's book.

I feel like I've already written extensively about many of the main concepts in previous book reviews. This book covered a ton of additional material. He
Taka
Good!

The first part is a gold mine of cognitive psychology wisdom, then it sort of tapers off toward the end (at least for me). The book covers what science has to tell us about learning in general and it is good. And it is owing to this book that I'm resuming my old practice of writing book reviews (retrieval & elaboration) to better retain what I read.

Some concepts that will prove particularly useful in my own learning and teaching include:

1) Desirable difficulty: how the right amount of diff
Hiba
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for everyone- not just teachers and educators. This book challenges our perceptions of how to learn and how it is often counterintuitive to how we think we best learn.

I found this book frustrating at times as it jumped between ideas- however, that in itself is one way this book practices what it preaches. I found myself inspired to approach learning and teaching differently. I was often lost in my own ideas of how I can apply what I’ve learned from this book to my own
Cristina
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excerpts:

Retrieval practice—recalling facts or concepts or events from memory—is a more effective learning strategy than review by rereading. Flashcards are a simple example. Retrieval strengthens the memory and interrupts forgetting. A single, simple quiz after reading a text or hearing a lecture produces better learning and remembering than rereading the text or reviewing lecture notes. While the brain is not a muscle that gets stronger with exercise, the neural pathways that make up a body of
Dan Graser
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having recently read James Lang's book, "Small Teaching," I noticed that a lot of its most salient concepts and interesting ideas were being cited back to this wonderful book from Brown, Roediger, and McDaniel. As such I was curious if it seemed as significant and intellectually rigorous as Lang's citations made it seem. I must say that it certainly is and is among the most potent books on learning I have ever read.

Perhaps the most singular feature of this work is the seamless way the authors t
Joshua
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Fabulous book. The research that has gone into bringing out the principles and truths found in this book is commendable and gives much weight to their arguments. What they propose flies in the face of much of what goes around in public education today (student-centered learning). What they say helps make knowledge stick isn't a special recipe we haven't seen before. It's just unfortunate that we desperately need to hear it since the borage of unsupported messages from others has led many to drif ...more
Shahin
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Being a student back in my days, we had no idea about how the learning works! Teachers were just dividing us into brilliant or stupid groups and no extra effort to help paediatrics with learning difficulties. Lots of concepts introduced by this book were new to me, but presenting anecdotes on successful applications were so intriguing and useful. Successful learning is a critical concept these days. It's not just for pupils, but companies or marketing people can benefit these ideas the same. Thi ...more
Oleg
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2018
This could be a decent book in theory, but I have read a lot of material from other books on memory and brain (for example, "Learning how to learn" by Barbara Oakley and "Peak" by Anders Ericsson, "Brain rules" by John Medina.

However, I managed to find a couple of good nuggets of wisdom in this book:

1) More information on the memory palace technique
2) The fact that the more a person 'knows' the more neuron connections it has (aka 'hooks for new information'). So, it is quite literally the more y
Sal Coraccio
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brain
Solid five stars - I'm adding it to my "must read" list. Everyone should get this book at an early age, and teachers should be issued the thing - now.

It reviews the folly, through scientific research, of standard study methods such as re-reading text, highlighting, all night cramming, PowerPoint presentations and most other class-room methods.

It shows how mastery comes from internalization and self-testing and interweaving multiple skills at once, rather than focus on a single example of the dis
Prashant Ghabak
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After getting into habit or reading a lot, I realized that I forget a lot of the stuff I read especially the specifics. The same with a lot of lectures which I thought I loved. And, if you can't remember what you have learnt, how can you retrieve it and apply in real life?

I started reading this book along with a MOOC by Barbara Oakley on Coursera to discover more about this problem. And it seems, this is a very common problem faced by many.

What it also made me realize is how faulty the learning
Cindy Rollins
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, audiobooks
As an education junkie I found this book held my attention and gave me a few things to think about. In some ways it challenged my assumptions and in other ways it confirmed them.

I especially liked the concept of retrieval for it essentially proved through research many of Charlotte Mason's own ideas. Narration is a wonderful, effective retrieval practice far superior to other types of study habits such as rereading. Sound familiar?

I am having my 11th grader read this as preparation for college
Vidya Balakrishnan
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The only thought that was running through my head while reading this book was ' I wish I had known of these concepts when I was in school'. This book offers some great tips on how to master concepts. Everyone misunderstands desirable difficulty as inability or incompetence, the authors explain that learning something new is tough but desirable since your brain is made to think. Along the same lines is the concept of effortful learning. These techniques help you understand your strong points and ...more
Malaika
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential reading for lifelong learners.
It explains the flaws and illusions of rote/repetitive learning, and draws upon a body of learning research to make the case for mindful learning. I had many important revelations whilst reading the book, especially with regard to what I have been doing wrong while learning or studying so far. The information on how to use the 'memory palace' strategy is neat. I had no clue that BBC Sherlock's concept of a mind palace had a basis in real life
Pete Wung
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended that I dive into this book since I was hoping to learn about the latest theories on learning and cognition; one reason for my search is to be a better coach with volleyball athletes, but as it turns out, this book is helping me become a better college professor.

The authors devoted the opening chapter to the myths and sacred cows that we carry in our minds about how we learn and how to best create an environment that is suited for teaching. They recount the large number of be
J
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I only wish that I had read this as a student and/or earlier in my career. The science of successful learning is amazing. I loved the concepts of retrieval practice, interleaving, spacing, generation, desirable difficulties, and written assessments and will be using them in my own learning and teaching. This is a book for all educators, students and trainers. It's a real game changer with lots of practical real world examples.

Highly recommended.
Bryn Mawr School ...: Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning 1 13 Jul 06, 2016 05:03PM

• How We Learn: The Surprising Truth About When, Where, and Why It Happens
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • Understanding How We Learn: A Visual Guide
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • Why Don't Students Like School?: A Cognitive Scientist Answers Questions About How the Mind Works and What It Means for the Classroom
  • 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less)
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Mindset: The New Psychology of Success
  • So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love
  • Teach Yourself How to Learn: Strategies You Can Use to Ace Any Course at Any Level

News & Interviews

“Trying to solve a problem before being taught the solution leads to better learning, even when errors are made in the attempt.” 17 likes
“Practice that’s spaced out, interleaved with other learning, and varied produces better mastery, longer retention, and more versatility. But these benefits come at a price: when practice is spaced, interleaved, and varied, it requires more effort. You feel the increased effort, but not the benefits the effort produces. Learning feels slower from this kind of practice, and you don’t get the rapid improvements and affirmations you’re accustomed to seeing from massed practice.” 15 likes