Start by marking “Wings of War (Tales of War #1)” as Want to Read:
Wings of War (Tales of War #1)

Wings of War

(Tales of War #1)

WORLD WAR ONE COMES TO LIFE THROUGH THE DARING AND DANGEROUS EXPERIENCES OF A YOUNG PILOT
Edward Simpson's uncle builds airplanes in his barn. In exchange for help, he teaches Edward to fly, but as the boy's passion for flight grows, the world is descending into the chaos and horror of the First World War.
Edward finds his dreams of becoming a pilot now impossible to ignore
Published June 24th 2014 by Doubleday Canada

Piper
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
I was excited to find that I was given the opportunity to read John Wilson's Wings of War ahead of time, especially due to my newly found love of history. The World Wars are a particular area that I find interesting, so I think it's great luck that I was chosen. I'd like to give profuse thank-yous to Goodreads for this.

Wings of War follows the life of Edward Simpson (known fondly as "Kid" by his fellow RFC mates), a young man with an impassioned love of flying. This pushes him to join the first
ILyk Tourid
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
****I received an advance reader copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways. Thank you!****
Wings of War is an easy read about a sixteen-year-old dream of flying.
The blurb was quite enticing. I’ve read only few YA historical books and the ones I can relate this book to are Morpugo’s Private Peaceful (which brought me to tears) and Oppel’s Airborn about constructing a flying craft in the early 1900s. Some Pros and Cons:
Pros
The research is thorough. So many facts portrayed down to the few s
Thebruce1314
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
*received an ARC from Goodreads giveaway*

I think I developed a particular interest in World War II because, as a kid, there were soooooo many books set in that time period. There was very little available for the pre-teen age group set during the First World War, and so I knew almost nothing about it until I started studying history. This book is a very nice addition to that category.

Edward is only 16 when he goes to war, to pursue his passion of flying. His story is told as a first-person narr
Katelyn
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received an advanced reading copy of this book.

Wings of war is a historical fiction book about world war one where we meet Edward, the main character, and his dream to fly for the RFC. I'm not really a fan of historical fiction so I couldn't appreciate this book and the historical references. Also, I don't know anything about airplanes and their terminology so, when the author was describing the airplanes and the dogfights I was a bit lost. I also wish that the author included some more detail
Maria Skyllas
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maria by: Goodreads Giveways

I entered this giveaway because of my interest for stories with a context of war. After the first chapter, I suspected this book was aimed at teenagers, which was confirmed by a Google search. This didn't stop me from enjoying it though.

Wings of War is the story of a farm boy from Saskatchewan (Canada) who develops a passion for flying and decides to become a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps (British Army) during WW
Barb Day
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not usually too keen on war stories, but this was a good little read. I won the book on this site, thanks so much. John Wilson certainly knows his stuff! In this fictional story, he uses actual historical events. Young Edward's Uncle Horst constructed planes he called "Berthas" which aren't true to history, but when Edward learns to fly, he is really using planes of that period. Set in the early twentieth century, Wings of War is quite informative of the early history of aviation and also of ...more
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining and inspiring little book about a Canadian who dreams of being an airplane pilot and pursues his dream during WWI (- maybe not the best era to be a pilot, haha.) It was decently written, kept my attention moderately well, and although the ending was bloody and unsatisfactory, the story resonated with me and is still in my mind. I think the writing could use some tightening up, but for what it was I did enjoy it. The Canadian/Saskatchewan tie-in was great - I always appre ...more
Lillie Parkes
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I just finished reading "Wings of War" by John Wilson and I have to say that I did enjoy reading this book. The book is about a young man who dreams of becoming a pilot in World War I and the Changes and challenges he must face. I loved the plot of the book, but I didn't really like the way the author wrote it. I though the book was a little rushed and I didn't really connect with the characters. When I read I often imagine what is happening in my head, and for this book I didn't really see it. ...more
Nicole
*** I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway ***

I really enjoyed learning about World War I from this book and about how part of that war was fought in the sky with the first use of planes in 1915. It was pretty interesting for someone who isn't that much of a history buff.

I liked how easy the book was to read but I'm still trying to figure out if this is Middle Grade, YA or for adults; I don't really know...

I liked the characters too, especially the main character Edward who grows up as a
Niki
Edward "Kid" Simpson is a young Canadian boy whose uncle helps foster his love of flying, which results in Edward joining the English Royal Flying Corps in WWI. Edward is an integral part of the reconnaissance in France and during a well-planned, multi-day attack on the front-lines. Edward struggles to reconcile his love of flying with the flying and fighting that is required of him in France. The novel is relatively fast-paced and, to my knowledge, historically accurate.
Short-listed for the 20
Tamara
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this to the boys (8&6) - and they loved it! It was really the first book where they were begging for another chapter because they wanted to know what happened (vs just wanting to delay bedtime).
It was a story if atoning man from Saskatchewan who learns to fly and the fights in WWI as a pilot. Touches on death, fear, brotherhood, and how our choices change us.

Maybe not my favourite, but any story that has the kids that rapt is good by me.
Cee
Feb 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: myrca-2016
In the early days of aviation, 17 year old Edward is determined to become a pilot and join the RAF. But the technology is very new and quite unreliable. Flying an aircraft is both dangerous and exhilarating and Edward goes on to the war to face both the glory and horror. The historic photographs add a nice touch to the technical descriptions of aircraft. A perfect novel for tweens with a passion for planes.
Kami
I had received an advanced copy of Wings of War, many thanks!

The book was a very quick, enjoyable read. The author, John Wilson, has a style of writing that seems to transport you right into the story and makes you feel like you are part of the adventure. An interesting mix of historical facts, intertwined with a fictional story.

Excellent book and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, enjoyable story.
Colleen Nelson
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book immensely! Well-written with a suspenseful plot; it was a page turner. I've recommended it to many students and they've enjoyed it as well.
Crystal Stlaurentt
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed reading Wings Of War! I would love to have read a longer more in depth version.
Andie M
Jan 16, 2016
Kathie
rated it it was ok
May 29, 2015
Rachel
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Great story!
Thanks to the publisher / Goodreads Firstreads for the advanced copy!
Dayner